++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 8, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #10,861 of 29,490
I'd still say the Shures are a better deal.  I have never heard great things about the build quality of the CAL.  Not only that, but the chance that the Shure is uncomfortable I would say is small.

Quote:
Indeed; however, I am having second thoughts since people say the Shures have a particular fit and may not be comfortable for everyone. Also I found someone else selling the Creative Aurvana Live for $50.

Jan 8, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #10,862 of 29,490
Hi all,

I am looking for a new headphone. I need some advice from you guys.

- budget: $130 (may go up to $150).
- music: heavy metal, symphonic metal, hard rock, alternative rock.
- durability: should last >2 years
- does it need an amp?
- I'm new here so I don't know if PC sound card is important or not? I don't have a good sound card though.

I did some research and found 3: Audio-Technica ATH-M50, Ultrasone HFI-780, V-Moda Crossfade LP. I'm not sure which one is better for me. I'm also open to other headphone suggestions.

Thanks!

Jan 8, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #10,863 of 29,490
Hello! looking for recommendation on my first set of nice headphones.  

budget is < 250 usd but will go up to about 300 usd if they're really worth it. 

I'm gonna use these for entertainment and studying purposes so I'll need:

• closed, over the ear headphones that can be played from ipod/pc WITHOUT amp or too much eq manipulation
  • I prefer a more 'fun/entertaining' sound rather than an analytical/neutral one.  
  • I'd like some phones that play solid bass for rap music, but can reach clear highs in rock music.  
  • must be comfortable for several hour cram-studying sessions
  • hopefully they look as good as they sound

genres(from most to least listened to):
  1. hip hop/rap--eminem, jay-z, kid cudi
  2. alternative/rock/metal--radiohead, nirvana, metalica
  3. occasionally--jazz, vocals, classical

Ive been looking at these in no particular order:

Shure SRH 850, 750dj
Ultrasone pro900, hfi 780
Sony XB700, 1000
Denon AH-D2000, 1100
Beyer DT 770 pro

i apologize a head of time for any noobery and thanks for any advise!!

Jan 8, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #10,864 of 29,490

Quote:
In my opinion, the Hifiman HE-6 does well with the genres you listed. However, the HE-6 has extremely high power requirements compared to most headphones. I think they need as much power as a small bookshelf desktop monitors. Something like a high-gain Beta22 or a Ray Samuels Dark Star (slightly out of your budget) would be good with them, based on reviews. 

I do have a high quality stereo amp that I am not using that I could use for the HE-6 with my main system pre-amp.  That would definitely be cheaper than almost any other headphone/amp setups that I'm considering.  Anyone with any experience using a good ss stereo amp with the HE-6 versus a high output headphone amp such as the Lyr or Dark Star, etc?

Jan 8, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #10,865 of 29,490
FIRST POST!

...and you're gonna love it! I'm looking to upgrade to some "audiophile" quality headphones from my...wait for it...BOSE TRI-PORTS! I've been aware how much these things 'actually suck' for a long time, however, I have gotten so much AMAZING listening time with these over the past 4 years, they will forever hold a special place in my ear.  They enlightened me to quality sound, and I would not be here today if I didnt buy these 4 years ago before I studied abroad.  So for what they were and the role they played in my evolution, I cant say much bad about them...my wallet maybe.  I plan on giving them away to an unenlightened friend. Anyway...

- budget: ~$200, over the ear (circumaural?! see im catching on!)
- music: electronic (downtempo & ambient + tech/house & glitch)
- use: 80% iPhone/MacBook + 20% home stereo w/ vinyl setup
- qualities:  im new to these headphone terms, but I know I pay attention to the soundstage of my music.  I really notice when I feel "in" the music and it sounds 3D.  I think this also relates to "imaging" which I constantly do when Im listening to music.  So cans that emphasize these are ideal.

rail on me for the bose comments, but im more interested in your rec's!

listen with your spirit!

Jan 8, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #10,866 of 29,490
Bump, anyone?

The shorthand version:

I need headphones which:

-Are comfortable

-Don't need amplification (source audio will be 320kbps MP3s or Apple "lossless" via my laptop or iPhone)

-Minimise sound leakage.

My music preferences are classical (mainly piano), heavy metal and occasionally a hip-hop and pop binge.

My budget can stretch to £300 at a push.

Quote:
Hi all, first post here and I figure I'll do the obvious thing and ask for some headphone advice
dt880smile.png

So, I'm in the market for some full sized headphones, on-ear or around ear isn't important but comfort is (least amount of discomfort after a few hours of continuous use).

My uses are going to be mainly listening to music at my desk through my laptop (and sometimes iPhone), and occasionally I'll be taking them with me for travelling.

My music collection varies, mostly I stick to classical (mostly piano), and while I'm a metal head I've been known to have the occasional hip-hop/rap/etc binge. My music collection consists of either 320kbps MP3's or  Apple's "lossless" source where I've ripped from a CD.

I would prefer closed-back as I want as little sound leakage as possible. Sound-isolation isn't necessary.

Someone able to point me in the right direction? I'll be happy to go do some independent research too, but having a good starting point would be great. Some of the less...mainstream manufacturers are difficult to track down in stores around me though so testing could prove difficult.

My budget is about £280/$430 MAX.

Jan 8, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #10,867 of 29,490
The Denon D2000 would work very well.  However it isn't very portable.  If you need portability, I would suggest the Denon D1100.

Quote:
Hello! looking for recommendation on my first set of nice headphones.  

budget is < 250 usd but will go up to about 300 usd if they're really worth it. 

I'm gonna use these for entertainment and studying purposes so I'll need:

• closed, over the ear headphones that can be played from ipod/pc WITHOUT amp or too much eq manipulation
  • I prefer a more 'fun/entertaining' sound rather than an analytical/neutral one.  
  • I'd like some phones that play solid bass for rap music, but can reach clear highs in rock music.  
  • must be comfortable for several hour cram-studying sessions
  • hopefully they look as good as they sound

genres(from most to least listened to):
  1. hip hop/rap--eminem, jay-z, kid cudi
  2. alternative/rock/metal--radiohead, nirvana, metalica
  3. occasionally--jazz, vocals, classical

Ive been looking at these in no particular order:

Shure SRH 850, 750dj
Ultrasone pro900, hfi 780
Sony XB700, 1000
Denon AH-D2000, 1100
Beyer DT 770 pro

i apologize a head of time for any noobery and thanks for any advise!!

Denon D2000/D1100.  First one is better, second one is more portable.  In general Denons tend to be great for electronic music.

Quote:
FIRST POST!

...and you're gonna love it! I'm looking to upgrade to some "audiophile" quality headphones from my...wait for it...BOSE TRI-PORTS! I've been aware how much these things 'actually suck' for a long time, however, I have gotten so much AMAZING listening time with these over the past 4 years, they will forever hold a special place in my ear.  They enlightened me to quality sound, and I would not be here today if I didnt buy these 4 years ago before I studied abroad.  So for what they were and the role they played in my evolution, I cant say much bad about them...my wallet maybe.  I plan on giving them away to an unenlightened friend. Anyway...

- budget: ~$200, over the ear (circumaural?! see im catching on!)
- music: electronic (downtempo & ambient + tech/house & glitch)
- use: 80% iPhone/MacBook + 20% home stereo w/ vinyl setup
- qualities:  im new to these headphone terms, but I know I pay attention to the soundstage of my music.  I really notice when I feel "in" the music and it sounds 3D.  I think this also relates to "imaging" which I constantly do when Im listening to music.  So cans that emphasize these are ideal.

rail on me for the bose comments, but im more interested in your rec's!

listen with your spirit!

Jan 8, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #10,868 of 29,490

Quote:
As my first pair of (audiophile) headphones I loved the M50, especially since I got them at ~$100 about a year ago. They definitely do not require an amp to sound great, but were easily satisfying from anything I listened with. I cannot comment on the KRKs because I haven't used them or read anything about them. If the 555s are anything like the newer 598s, they should be great too, albeit an entirely different beast. The 5xx series have a better sound-stage than the M50s, creating a more realistic "at the show," kind feel, while the M50 puts you closer to the musicians which is fun for some people.

Even though I personally like the Sennheiser more than the M50, there are some things I miss about them. 5xx series is more "laid back" meaning they aren't as good handling fast music, and are also not as good for music that require a great bass presence. The M50 sound better with more kinds of music, and beat even my 598s for faster, heavier metal. Where the 5xx series shine is in presenting every instrument equally, and to me are superior with acoustic guitars, vocals, and instruments like flutes.

What it comes down to is personal preference between the 555s and M50. 

I too owned the Klipsh S4, and at $30 are a complete steal.

Oh thanks for replying dude! I think I've settled on an entirely different pair of headphones. I've decided to go for the BRAINWAVZ HM5, which seem to be pretty spectacular and seem to fit my needs. I'll have to pay $144, which is a bit more than I wanted, but at least I get a pair of headphones and a Fiio E6 Headphone Amp.

Jan 8, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #10,870 of 29,490
OK, so I primarily listen to music with my iPod Touch (2nd Gen) or my HTC DROID Incredible, but sometimes through my X-FI Titanium sound card on my desktop. I listen to a lot of bass heavy songs (hip-hop, rap, dubstep, ect) but I appreciate the full spectrum of sounds. I like punchy bass but I don't want to get a headache from bass like I sometimes do with my Sennheiser IEMs with bass boost on in the EQ settings in my iPod/PowerAMP (the audio player I use on my DROID). Currently I am debating between the HD518 and the ATH M50s. Any suggestions here?

I am also considering a headphone amp with a line out dock. Any suggestions?

My budget is around $150-$230

-Thanks

EDIT: Oh, and I HAVE to be able to wear them comfortably with glasses.

Jan 8, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #10,871 of 29,490

Quote:
The Denon D2000 would work very well.  However it isn't very portable.  If you need portability, I would suggest the Denon D1100.

Denon D2000/D1100.  First one is better, second one is more portable.  In general Denons tend to be great for electronic music.

I got a pair of the D2000's and have actually just started listening to Royksopp, Deadmau5, DJ Shadow, RJD2 etc. etc. on account of how great this stuff sounds on these headphones. I actually plan to use mine at a coffee shop with a small Electric-Avenues amp (haven't bought it yet) playing off of a BB Playbook whose Wolfson Made dac is fine enough to get started. There is noise bleed and they are big cans with a relatively burly cord but... oh well. I'll sit in the corner.

I wore them for 10 hours the first day I had them including about 5 hours of assembling furniture with my Playbook in my pocket and the cord lassoed a few times through my belt loop. They're Very comfortable, much more so to me than my in ear Turbines. Straight from an iPod Nano they are usable but not much more. From a Playbook unamped they are solid listening on the go and from a receiver they sound awesome. I don't get the impression they really need much more than a small amp to run really well and of course dac's are personal preference.

Anyway, at $300 in Canada (where tech is expensive) I feel like I'm getting my money's worth and I have a hard time imagining any Regular Joe (vs. hardcore audiophile guy) being disappointed with these as a first set.

Jan 9, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #10,872 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys,

Sorry, I also made a new thread before seeing this one, but here goes:

I just purchased a Roland FP-7F digital piano and broke the bank. So, I need to purchase some headphones at a relatively cheap price (at least compared to some of the headphones people on here use).

I will only be using these for my piano. I am primarily into classical, though I've played some pop in the past. And, I live alone in a quiet apartment, so I'd prefer open headphones to maximize quality at the given price point. Speaking of which, must be around 100-130 (maybe up to 150 if really makes a difference in quality).

Searching these forums and others, the list I've come up with are the ATH ad700, ATM mkii, and Sennheiser hd518. The first two (esp. the mkii) seem to be the most popular and tried and true, but I've been told they're a bit aged these days. The 518's are newer and very well reviewed on various websites, but I haven't seen more personal views on them - especially for use with a digital piano.

I'd be open to other suggestions, if I'm missing something.

Thanks for the help.

I think you might be able to find the HD558's for around $150 if you look hard enough. Check the deals thread for more info on that. Also, are you going to listen to other music with them, or is it just for your piano? If it's just for the piano your headphones probably don't need to be as good...

Quote:

BUMP-

wanna throw the A-T M50's in the mix too..... even though it's a cheaper price point. One of these three or something I missed?

I don't think the M50s will give you a different sound than your existing headphones. I would go for the 598s, since they seem to be excellent all-rounders, but the K701 might be a bigger contrast.

Quote:
Hi all,

I am looking for a new headphone. I need some advice from you guys.

- budget: $130 (may go up to $150).
- music: heavy metal, symphonic metal, hard rock, alternative rock.
- durability: should last >2 years
- does it need an amp?
- I'm new here so I don't know if PC sound card is important or not? I don't have a good sound card though.

I did some research and found 3: Audio-Technica ATH-M50, Ultrasone HFI-780, V-Moda Crossfade LP. I'm not sure which one is better for me. I'm also open to other headphone suggestions.

Thanks!

Cross off the Crossfades, they're in a lower tier sound-quality-wise than the M50s and the 780s. I have not heard nor heard much about the 780s, but I can tell you that the M50s would probably work well with your genres, and don't require an amp.

Quote:
OK, so I primarily listen to music with my iPod Touch (2nd Gen) or my HTC DROID Incredible, but sometimes through my X-FI Titanium sound card on my desktop. I listen to a lot of bass heavy songs (hip-hop, rap, dubstep, ect) but I appreciate the full spectrum of sounds. I like punchy bass but I don't want to get a headache from bass like I sometimes do with my Sennheiser IEMs with bass boost on in the EQ settings in my iPod/PowerAMP (the audio player I use on my DROID). Currently I am debating between the HD518 and the ATH M50s. Any suggestions here?

I am also considering a headphone amp with a line out dock. Any suggestions?

My budget is around $150-$230

-Thanks

EDIT: Oh, and I HAVE to be able to wear them comfortably with glasses.

Are you going to be using them portably or at home? That really determines if you're getting open or closed, and your price range covers a lot of other very good headphones. Between the two though, I'd go for the M50s, based on your genres.

Jan 9, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #10,873 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys,
Sorry, I also made a new thread before seeing this one, but here goes:
I just purchased a Roland FP-7F digital piano and broke the bank. So, I need to purchase some headphones at a relatively cheap price (at least compared to some of the headphones people on here use).
I will only be using these for my piano. I am primarily into classical, though I've played some pop in the past. And, I live alone in a quiet apartment, so I'd prefer open headphones to maximize quality at the given price point. Speaking of which, must be around 100-130 (maybe up to 150 if really makes a difference in quality).
Searching these forums and others, the list I've come up with are the ATH ad700, ATM mkii, and Sennheiser hd518. The first two (esp. the mkii) seem to be the most popular and tried and true, but I've been told they're a bit aged these days. The 518's are newer and very well reviewed on various websites, but I haven't seen more personal views on them - especially for use with a digital piano.
I'd be open to other suggestions, if I'm missing something.
Thanks for the help.

Used the website Bountii to find the best prices.
Check out the Sennheiser HD-558s.

Jan 9, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #10,874 of 29,490

Quote:
Which would you pick between the Sennheiser HD 238 and Sennheiser PX-200 II?

From what I've been reading the HD 238 wins out on design but the PX-200 II sounds slightly better (?) and has a less flimsy cable (definitely a plus since I want to hang on to these headphones for a while). I listen to rock, some metal, electronica and movie soundtracks. 

Bump, anyone have an opinion on these two headphones? 

Jan 9, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #10,875 of 29,490
Are you going to be using them portably or at home? That really determines if you're getting open or closed, and your price range covers a lot of other very good headphones. Between the two though, I'd go for the M50s, based on your genres.

Mostly at home, but I will probably bring them out sometimes because they are gonna be nicer than my sennheiser IEMs (hopefully). My best bet is probably closed, and I am very open to other headphones btw, as long as they work with glasses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back