++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 8, 2012 at 4:22 AM Post #10,846 of 29,490
I really like the DENON and i think they will do a better job with the upgrade. I dont want lots of bass. Usually i cut the extra from EQ :) How about an amp ? what to choose ? Im thinking amp+denon before upgrade? What amp i should choose so i can keep it later with the upgrade LA 2000 ?

Jan 8, 2012 at 5:27 AM Post #10,847 of 29,490
I'm a Beginner AudioPhile
Which OF These Is Better For Me To Start
Music : Rock/ Metal/Folk
I Will Use It Too much With HD Movies
Gaming Isn't Important ,,, Comfort Isn't Important
Quality Is the Most Important Thing
Budget 90$-120$ ,,, Can't Afford More Than That
I need Ur Opinions

Jan 8, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #10,848 of 29,490
Hi, i started a new thread yesterday but as i can see here it was a mistake. So i have some questions: i have a clip+ and i want to get a big upgrade from my HD202. First question: i read a lot about M50 by A-T, i started to love it in every way. Would my clip+ be enough for it? Could that tiny little player (it has good SQ as i read) get the most out of that sexy beast? May i need an amp perhaps, and if yes, which one? Thank you very much.

Jan 8, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #10,849 of 29,490
Damn it people, quit it with the bold, large size letters.  Seriously, if you want people to listen to you, making your message larger isn't going to help, it is just going to make you look like an idiot.  I say we boycott any post that is in bold, large size letters.  Can anyone get behind me on this?

Jan 8, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #10,850 of 29,490

Quote:
Damn it people, quit it with the bold, large size letters.  Seriously, if you want people to listen to you, making your message larger isn't going to help, it is just going to make you look like an idiot.  I say we boycott any post that is in bold, large size letters.  Can anyone get behind me on this?

Mind ur Own Business
If I Want Ur opinion I Will Ask For It

Jan 8, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #10,851 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi, i started a new thread yesterday but as i can see here it was a mistake. So i have some questions: i have a clip+ and i want to get a big upgrade from my HD202. First question: i read a lot about M50 by A-T, i started to love it in every way. Would my clip+ be enough for it? Could that tiny little player (it has good SQ as i read) get the most out of that sexy beast? May i need an amp perhaps, and if yes, which one? Thank you very much.

Since I'm interested in the M50's myself, I've been doing a lot of reading up on them here. It seems that the M50's would drive fine by the MP3 player themselves, but a headphone amp is always recommended.

I'm having trouble deciding between the M50, HD555 or KRK KNS 8400 right now. I already have a 2.1 speaker system that I enjoy, Klipsch S4's which are decent, but just not satisfying (I paid ~$30 for them, definitely not going to complain for that price though).

Jan 8, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #10,852 of 29,490
Okie Chokey 
biggrin.gif

I love my Sennheiser MX-880s - best earbuds i've ever owned (and the only relatively good earphones i have to compare anything to). And at 28UKP a bargain unrivalled. I need an around the ear (circumaural?) set of cans, preferably closed back. Isolation isn't massively important - i'd still like to be able to hear a little bit around me if possible when i turn the volume down a bit but drown out as much as possible the antisocial little smeggers on the bus playing their beiber through the speakers on their mobile phones and shouting at each other when i crank it up - Otherwise the temptation to say 'awww.. too poor to buy earphones?' is so strong it distracts me from my tunes. Cost is a real issue - i was looking towards the cheapest end of the reviews in the 96 portable headphones shootout. I listen to a wide variety of everything from Mozart through jazz, country, rock n roll, rock, industrial, thrash/death metal, a bit of electronic music (speedcore, 90s ibiza) so i need a pretty good all rounder - i do like plenty of bass the MX-880s are a tiny bit bass light for me but the clarity is something else. i also like plenty of treble but not enough to be harsh or fatiguing.. I'm not super basshead though so massive bass isn't important it's more about punch. 

Because my main source is a mobile phone, i am interested in recabling the headphones i get (eventually) to integrate a clip mic and answering button - so NO inline volume 'remotes'

Was looking at Senn's HD201 but the reviews here put me off. The Monoprice cheapies are currently out of stock and i'd have to import them to the UK anyway. So i've narrowed it down to:
JVC HA-RX700
JVC HA-M750
wait for the Monoprice 839s to be back in stock

the two above are right at the top end of my budget, in fact i can't really afford them, hence looking at the hd201s, and also the JVC HA-S150 flats. The RX750 is a bit large for me... i do want something relatively subtle, for a circumaural.. I am prepared to consider cans from any other manufacturer, it's just i don't know of any that seem to beat the JVCs in reviews, in their price bracket.. can anyone suggest any?
I'd like to know how the monoprices compare to the HA-M750s, and how those and the HA-S150s compare to my sennheiser mx-880s in terms of clarity and reproduction - I'm still hearing parts of songs i've never heard before despite using MP3 compression.

It's vital that I don't have to EQ to get a good sound - my phone, which is quite neutral, tending to warmth and being laid back, doesn't have an EQ and isn't the loudest source - Nokia X1-01/101 - volume isn't bad though it drives the 880s to decent loudness albeit right at the top of its volume..

help? lol thanks guys and gals

Jan 8, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #10,853 of 29,490
Which would you pick between the Sennheiser HD 238 and Sennheiser PX-200 II?

From what I've been reading the HD 238 wins out on design but the PX-200 II sounds slightly better (?) and has a less flimsy cable (definitely a plus since I want to hang on to these headphones for a while). I listen to rock, some metal, electronica and movie soundtracks. 

Jan 8, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #10,854 of 29,490
Hi all,
  OK I'll try this single thread for advice idea. Seems like it could get a bit cluttered real fast, but here is my situation. 
I am pretty new to the hobby but have been an audiophile since the late 70's. With my current budget, I like to keep my gear prices around/ under $200 per piece. I currently own V-Modas and Ultrasones (600 series).  I recently ordered a Little Dot MKIII, Should arrive next week. I have a couple of DAP sources I will run through that. Diverse selection of music- electronica, (Synth pop) 70's rock, 50's- 60's jazz, some classical (piano concertos in particular).
  SO, I want a third full-size HP to complement my two current ones. I know my current cans are both on the bass-heavy side. So, I am thinking as the third complement with a different profile that will also really bring the best out of the MkIII,----narrowed down two following possibilities:
- Senn HD 598,-- can now be found at or just under $200.00- fairly well balanced, opposite low end and mids to my current cans, I would presume. Good complement to the tube amp "color"?
-OR-
-AKG 701 series,-- detailed, clean, flatish with good soundstage, should complement the Little Dot "sound" well.

What am I missing or should I choose one of these two. What is your favorite match with my current equipment? I don't care about closed, semi- open, or efficiency. This is all about sound. For the veterans, what would you choose? (Yeah, I know, but I don't have $1500.00 for cans.......)

Thanks!
Gary

Jan 8, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #10,855 of 29,490

Quote:
I found someone on Craigslist selling his Shure SRH840 for $100. I think I will just get those unless someone has objections or a suggestion for something better?

Currently the cheapest Shure SRH840s I can find new is $200.
So $100 seems like a good deal, hopefully they are in good shape.

Jan 8, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #10,856 of 29,490

Quote:
Indeed; however, I am having second thoughts since people say the Shures have a particular fit and may not be comfortable for everyone. Also I found someone else selling the Creative Aurvana Live for $50.

CALs (Creative Aurvana Live) has been going for as cheap as $60 this past month (currently now at $100)
I would say go for the Shire SRH8400.

Jan 8, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #10,857 of 29,490

Quote:
Since I'm interested in the M50's myself, I've been doing a lot of reading up on them here. It seems that the M50's would drive fine by the MP3 player themselves, but a headphone amp is always recommended.

I'm having trouble deciding between the M50, HD555 or KRK KNS 8400 right now. I already have a 2.1 speaker system that I enjoy, Klipsch S4's which are decent, but just not satisfying (I paid ~$30 for them, definitely not going to complain for that price though).

As my first pair of (audiophile) headphones I loved the M50, especially since I got them at ~$100 about a year ago. They definitely do not require an amp to sound great, but were easily satisfying from anything I listened with. I cannot comment on the KRKs because I haven't used them or read anything about them. If the 555s are anything like the newer 598s, they should be great too, albeit an entirely different beast. The 5xx series have a better sound-stage than the M50s, creating a more realistic "at the show," kind feel, while the M50 puts you closer to the musicians which is fun for some people.

Even though I personally like the Sennheiser more than the M50, there are some things I miss about them. 5xx series is more "laid back" meaning they aren't as good handling fast music, and are also not as good for music that require a great bass presence. The M50 sound better with more kinds of music, and beat even my 598s for faster, heavier metal. Where the 5xx series shine is in presenting every instrument equally, and to me are superior with acoustic guitars, vocals, and instruments like flutes.

What it comes down to is personal preference between the 555s and M50. 

I too owned the Klipsh S4, and at $30 are a complete steal.

Jan 8, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #10,858 of 29,490
Hello!

Gear needed!!!!!!

headphones: AKG K701/senn 650/ akg 272 hd
portability/ size: moderatly. portable with my laptop. Everything to the size of a McDONALD's sandwich box.
music : classic rock, classical music, Jazz, Blues, Rock MAINLY JIMI HENDRIX!!!
amp/ dac+amp/soundcard : What???
Budget: around 400 usd

the gear I have right now: Laptop( lenovo ideapad y570a)

Thanks in advance!!!

Jan 8, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #10,859 of 29,490
Hey guys,

Sorry, I also made a new thread before seeing this one, but here goes:

I just purchased a Roland FP-7F digital piano and broke the bank. So, I need to purchase some headphones at a relatively cheap price (at least compared to some of the headphones people on here use).

I will only be using these for my piano. I am primarily into classical, though I've played some pop in the past. And, I live alone in a quiet apartment, so I'd prefer open headphones to maximize quality at the given price point. Speaking of which, must be around 100-130 (maybe up to 150 if really makes a difference in quality).

Searching these forums and others, the list I've come up with are the ATH ad700, ATM mkii, and Sennheiser hd518. The first two (esp. the mkii) seem to be the most popular and tried and true, but I've been told they're a bit aged these days. The 518's are newer and very well reviewed on various websites, but I haven't seen more personal views on them - especially for use with a digital piano.

I'd be open to other suggestions, if I'm missing something.

Thanks for the help.

Jan 8, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #10,860 of 29,490

BUMP-

wanna throw the A-T M50's in the mix too..... even though it's a cheaper price point. One of these three or something I missed?

Quote:
Hi all,
  OK I'll try this single thread for advice idea. Seems like it could get a bit cluttered real fast, but here is my situation. 
I am pretty new to the hobby but have been an audiophile since the late 70's. With my current budget, I like to keep my gear prices around/ under $200 per piece. I currently own V-Modas and Ultrasones (600 series).  I recently ordered a Little Dot MKIII, Should arrive next week. I have a couple of DAP sources I will run through that. Diverse selection of music- electronica, (Synth pop) 70's rock, 50's- 60's jazz, some classical (piano concertos in particular).
  SO, I want a third full-size HP to complement my two current ones. I know my current cans are both on the bass-heavy side. So, I am thinking as the third complement with a different profile that will also really bring the best out of the MkIII,----narrowed down two following possibilities:
- Senn HD 598,-- can now be found at or just under $200.00- fairly well balanced, opposite low end and mids to my current cans, I would presume. Good complement to the tube amp "color"?
-OR-
-AKG 701 series,-- detailed, clean, flatish with good soundstage, should complement the Little Dot "sound" well.

What am I missing or should I choose one of these two. What is your favorite match with my current equipment? I don't care about closed, semi- open, or efficiency. This is all about sound. For the veterans, what would you choose? (Yeah, I know, but I don't have $1500.00 for cans.......)

Thanks!
Gary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back