++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 1, 2012 at 4:08 AM Post #10,607 of 29,490
I need an entry level pair of cans that is customisable, ie changing cables and stuff like that.

Also, I don't want a lump of metal hanging off me. I need them to look cool, glossy, stylish. More on the fun side of things.
Budget up to €200.

I've considered:

Skullcandy Aviators - they look SO cool but I've heard there are better deals
ATH M50s because they're so recommended here

Jan 1, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #10,608 of 29,490

Quote:
I need an entry level pair of cans that is customisable, ie changing cables and stuff like that.

Also, I don't want a lump of metal hanging off me. I need them to look cool, glossy, stylish. More on the fun side of things.
Budget up to €200.

I've considered:

Search for more info on the following cans or can + amp combo
 Creative Aurvana Live -  $70

Brainwavz HM5 -  $120  + Fiio E10 $80 (Fiio adds extension to bass)

Sennheiser HD 25-1 II - $200 

Beyerdynamic DT770 - $160

Shure 840 $130 - $200

Do a search for "type of headphone" under "insert budget"  once narrow down choices, search or ask about genres you like, open vs closed, and try the cans out yourself if you can before buying. 

FWIW I think M50 at current price are not worth it. 

Also take a look at the headphone buying guide buy Keanex it is at the bottom left under Recent Articles - 

Jan 1, 2012 at 5:36 AM Post #10,609 of 29,490
Hi guys, I'm looking to buy my first real pair of cans and based on the info in this and many other threads It seems there are to 2 sets that are within my budget and I'm torn between them.

I'm talking 'bout the Sony MDR-V6's and the Shure SRH440.

Anyone listen to both?

Thanks!

Jan 1, 2012 at 5:58 AM Post #10,610 of 29,490
Between a Shure SRH940 and an AKG Q701, which one is better in overall sound quality? If anyone has both can you highlight the pros and cons of each one? Asides from the obvious facts of: open vs closed, impedance difference.

dL

Jan 1, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #10,612 of 29,490
Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi everyone, just joined.

I need an advice for buying HiFi headphones. I dont have a lota money so thats the problem and thats the main reason Im looking for you to advise me.

So first of all I probably should tell you what I need my headphones to possess:

1) detachable cable (yeah, maybe youre making fun of me right now :D, im not sure why I always look for detachable cable, maybe cuz Ive already damaged pair(s) of headphones in the past..

2) ofc they should be full size (all over the ear)

3) large freq. response range

4) and ofc not too expensive :)

And BTW, I've read a looooooot about the 'Open vs Closed' debate and still not sure which one is better, but expect you to explain me that as well.. so yeah.

btw, what do you think of Sennheiser HD 215  ? (Yeah, im already fan of Sennheiser..)

need something in that price.. maaaaybe a little more expensive.. :)

So help me guys!

Jan 1, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #10,613 of 29,490
[COLOR=ADD8E6]Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/COLOR]

Hi everyone, just joined.

I need an advice for buying HiFi headphones. I dont have a lota money so thats the problem and thats the main reason Im looking for you to advise me.

So first of all I probably should tell you what I need my headphones to possess:

1) detachable cable (yeah, maybe youre making fun of me right now :D, im not sure why I always look for detachable cable, maybe cuz Ive already damaged pair(s) of headphones in the past..

2) ofc they should be full size (all over the ear)

3) large freq. response range

4) and ofc not too expensive :)

And BTW, I've read a looooooot about the 'Open vs Closed' debate and still not sure which one is better, but expect you to explain me that as well.. so yeah.

btw, what do you think of Sennheiser HD 215  ? (Yeah, im already fan of Sennheiser..)

need something in that price.. maaaaybe a little more expensive.. :)

So help me guys!

Open is going to sound a lot better generally speaking BUT you get no isolation and people around you can hear what your listening to. For closed I strongly reccomend the Fostex T50RP For open probably the sennheiser HD518 You are not going to find many detacheable cabes at your price range... Also, the type of music you listen would be good info for us to help determine what headphones.

Jan 1, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #10,614 of 29,490

You should look into the company that sells custom dyed HD25--might be right up your alley.
Quoe:

Budget up to €200.

I've considered:

Jan 1, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #10,615 of 29,490

Quote:
Open is going to sound a lot better generally speaking BUT you get no isolation and people around you can hear what your listening to. For closed I strongly reccomend the Fostex T50RP For open probably the sennheiser HD518 You are not going to find many detacheable cabes at your price range... Also, the type of music you listen would be good info for us to help determine what headphones.

So closed phones are considerably worse than the open ones?

erm almost everything - trance, hip-hop, linkin park.. also for movies, and gaming (Open or Closed for gaming?) such as Counter Strike ..., like hearing the footsteps and stuff liek that.. so thats pretty much it.

U told me nothing bout the HD 215s though?

Jan 1, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #10,616 of 29,490
Kerry, again thanks a lot for that explanation. Just one last question regarding open backed headphones (regardless of brand). You say they lack bass and a good soundstage, which I understand, but my sound card has a bass dial, as well as "game mode" and "entertainment mode". In entertainment, nothing is on, but in game mode it switches on an option called "X-Fi CMSS-3D". If I was in game mode with this enabled, as well as turning the bass up slightly, would this help overcome the problems you mention, even partially, or would they not make much difference?

Sorry for so many questions, but I want to be sure I fully understand everything regarding my headphone options and my setup.

Jan 1, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #10,617 of 29,490
So after many of you suggested I try the Denon AH-D2000, I got the chance to  demo a pair of the markl modded Denon ahd-2000, and I fell in love with the headphones. However, unfortunately they were not as portable or noise isolating as I would have liked, so back to the drawing board and am looking for some suggestions. My requirements I am looking for is below:

1) Must be under $700
2)Must be more portable then the AH-D2000
3) Must have good isolation and be over the ear, utilized in a library and my office. 
4) Must be good for jazz, classical, classic rock, rock, accoustics type of music. I do not need too much bass, although sufficient bass for rare listening to rap/house would be nice if possible.

If you could recommend a extremely portable amp to power the headphones also that would be great. 

Jan 1, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #10,618 of 29,490
@jimmyhart
Not all open backed headphones lack bass.  Even the Grado's have what I would call punchy bass, it just doesn't reverberate the way many bassheads would prefer.  An example of a relatively low cost open headphone with good bass would be the Fischer Audio FA-011.  They seem to be out of stock at frogbeats right now though:  http://shop.frogbeats.com/fischer-audio-fa-011

I'm not really much of a gamer, so I'm probably not the person to answer anything about the 3d sound settings with your card. But I generally don't like the artificial effects that can be added to sound output from my computer...maybe I'm just picky.  :)

Jan 1, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #10,619 of 29,490
Ah fair enough. I have loads of info now so the best thing is probably just do some research for the 7 or 8 models that have been mentioned and try and find a shop where I can to try them out. I can ask about that 3D setting on a gaming forum I'm on. At least then I'll know for myself how each compare in reality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back