++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 1, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #10,636 of 29,490
Pom, nope I didn't think it was bad for music. My understanding (which isn't very good) is that a larger soundstage is better for music, but essential for movies and gaming. Is that right? Hence why the Grado's are superb for music, but not for games or films.

Thanks to both of you for the open back info, that's a great help. I think I'll look at open options now as leakage and isolation are not an issue for me, so have no need for closed backs. I'd rather have a more neutral sound with the bass as I described and more clarity, so opens should be more suitable for me.

Kerry, you mention the 600 ohm is said to be better than the 80 and 250, is this generally the same for higher impedance headphones in the same range? So say higher ones in the 770 range are better than lowers, same for 880s, same for other makes, etc? Obviously lowers can be played on any device, highers need amps, but I mean if both were played on the same equipment, say with an amp, in a like for like test.

Jan 1, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #10,637 of 29,490

Quote:
But which Shures are perfect for my needs and ofc my price range ?

The Shure SRH440 are in your price range, cheapest price i could find is $74.

Also Superlux (semi-open) HD-668B come with a detachable cable, price is around $53.

Jan 1, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #10,638 of 29,490

Quote:
Pom, nope I didn't think it was bad for music. My understanding (which isn't very good) is that a larger soundstage is better for music, but essential for movies and gaming. Is that right? Hence why the Grado's are superb for music, but not for games or films.

Thanks to both of you for the open back info, that's a great help. I think I'll look at open options now as leakage and isolation are not an issue for me, so have no need for closed backs. I'd rather have a more neutral sound with the bass as I described and more clarity, so opens should be more suitable for me.

You are correct, except for the part that because the Grados have small soundstage they are superb for music. Grados have a very unique sound, you love it or hate it. As Kerry said, the sound is intentionally in your face. As for a headphone selection for you, I highly recommend the Sennheiser HD598. 

Jan 1, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #10,639 of 29,490
@dziendobry

I looked at the BestBuy website, and the selection in your price range is something of a wasteland of poor quality Skullcandies, and overpriced lower tier headphones from a few good makes.  Maybe the Koss DJ100's or the Sennheiser 419?  I wouldn't normally recommend them for your tastes, especially since I know virtually nothing about that Senn, but your choices aren't really great at that store.

Jan 1, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #10,640 of 29,490

Quote:

Kerry, you mention the 600 ohm is said to be better than the 80 and 250, is this generally the same for higher impedance headphones in the same range? So say higher ones in the 770 range are better than lowers, same for 880s, same for other makes, etc? Obviously lowers can be played on any device, highers need amps, but I mean if both were played on the same equipment, say with an amp, in a like for like test.

I'd say that is an oversimplification.  It is possible for someone to prefer the sound of say, the lower ohm rated DT 770 over the 600 ohm version simply because they like more bass.  And that is one thing I specifically remember from user reviews around here regarding the 770,
Hard to extrapolate like that to other makes also.

Jan 1, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #10,641 of 29,490
I've just checked the specs on my sound card and here's the impedance levels for the 2 output ports:

Headphone load impedance 16Ω ~ 600Ω
Line output impedance 330Ω

So looks like I should be fine, providing I obviously use the headphone port (which the built in amp is on).

Jan 1, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #10,642 of 29,490

Quote:
Looking for sub $100 bluetooth headphones or IEM's that would work for exercising and listening to music as well as microphone capabilities. 

Was looking at the Plantronics BackBeat 903.......can anyone help?

Jan 1, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #10,643 of 29,490

Quote:
Alright. First tell us whether you need closed or open, then we can help more. 

well you said that Open phones are better for my gaming (like CounterStrike - hearing footsteps and etc etc), SO i guess i need Open ones :)

well i have my own room, so I guess it doesnt really matter to me if they leak sound, cuz there are no people around me..

firstly I thought its worse for my gaming if they are open and leak sound.. dontnow why to be honest.. Maybe its because I think when they are Open I hear ambient noise? dont know really you tell me :D
but i'll trust you anyway(as surely you have more experience and knowledge) and change my course to Open headphones instead of Closed :)

So yeah thats pretty much about it..

Jan 1, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #10,645 of 29,490
i need a pair of headphones that are ideal for drummers.
not wanting to spend a lot either.
under 100$.
but maintaining good isolation.

suggestions?

Jan 1, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #10,646 of 29,490

Quote:

well you said that Open phones are better for my gaming (like CounterStrike - hearing footsteps and etc etc), SO i guess i need Open ones :)

well i have my own room, so I guess it doesnt really matter to me if they leak sound, cuz there are no people around me..

firstly I thought its worse for my gaming if they are open and leak sound.. dontnow why to be honest.. Maybe its because I think when they are Open I hear ambient noise? dont know really you tell me :D
but i'll trust you anyway(as surely you have more experience and knowledge) and change my course to Open headphones instead of Closed :)

So yeah thats pretty much about it..

Well if you have a microphone to talk to others online than they will hear, and you could get some bad responses. On the other hand when I play games I hear lots of people playing music and it doesnt really bother me. I dont know, it depends whether you mind if the odd person gets mad at you (I know I wouldn't care). Also, if its open you will be able to hear noise outside, there is no isolation whatsoever. That said, with open headphones you will get much better soundstage and thus, here footsteps and more accurately be able to hear how far away they are, and in what direction. Do you still want open?  If you want open then yes, I suggest the sennheiser HD518, but if you can expand your price range to around $170 (probably too much), the HD598 is very good.

Jan 1, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #10,649 of 29,490

Quote:

Well if you have a microphone to talk to others online than they will hear, and you could get some bad responses. On the other hand when I play games I hear lots of people playing music and it doesnt really bother me. I dont know, it depends whether you mind if the odd person gets mad at you (I know I wouldn't care). Also, if its open you will be able to hear noise outside, there is no isolation whatsoever. That said, with open headphones you will get much better soundstage and thus, here footsteps and more accurately be able to hear how far away they are, and in what direction. Do you still want open?  If you want open then yes, I suggest the sennheiser HD518, but if you can expand your price range to around $170 (probably too much), the HD598 is very good.

I love you man thanks for giving me heads up on this.. I truly genuinely honestly appreciate it.

So what I got from all this - Open headphones are better for music and gaming.. So Open ones will be then.

BTW, would you help me with this one. I own very ugly headphones which are utterly unknown im sure.. but cant find specs for them..

So they are Philips SHP2000 Black colored.. the thing im curious about is Are they open or closed?

Jan 1, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #10,650 of 29,490
Think I'll give this a shot again.  Looking for a new pair of cans, $200-300ish, up to $400 if there's something that really would tickle my fancy in that price bracket.  Here's what I know about what I've used, and what I like (or don't):

-Senn PX100s: no especial complaints for what it is; wish the high-end were more resolved though.
-Grado SR80s: With default bowls, remember it being nicely detailed and airy, but fatiguing and not very engaging.  Tape mod brought out the bass nicely but I was always hungry for a little bit more.
-ATH M50s: Hated, trebles piercing and sibilant, mids ghostly and bass boomy.  Sterile and soulless.

-Listen to a great deal of electronic, IDM, hiphop.  Some rock, some acoustic solo, some drone/ambient.  Little classical, no metal.
-I greatly value a 'feathery', articulated aspect to the high range.  Love high-def, granular(?) treble that can make the most out of crunchy, intricately layered electronic samples.
-Mids maybe not such a priority since little of my music features lead vocals... but not entirely sure about this.
-Love responsive bass, thump is good, boom not so much.
-Soundstage... not really sure.  All I know is that the M50s felt claustrophobic, and it would be nice to be able to employ these new phones for gaming and movies which I do quite a bit of.  So trying a wider soundstage for a change might be nice.
-Comfort would be nice.  Not a priority, though non-fatiguing sound would be.
-Looks unimportant, open/close unimportant.
-Some semblance of neutrality for some amateur sound production would be dandy, but far from essential.

Thanks! in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back