++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 24, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #10,412 of 29,490
Hi guys I'm about to travel in next Wednesday, going to France and Italy, and I'm thinking about in buying one new pair of headphones. The budget is 300 Eur and I'm probably buy them online.

I want a warm, detailed sound with a good bass(not boomy) a prominent mid and detailed but no over presenced high's. A big wide and well separed soundstage would be nice too, and for this, I prefer open headphones(I'm not going to use them for mobile purposes, just to list to music in my setup).

I usually listen to rock, indie rock and most of it's ramifications(bands like Yes, pink Floyd, radio head, RHCP, creedence, Clapton).

I have the Dt880 600 ohms version, and I like them, but this time I want lesser bright sound signature... So I thought in the Senn Hd6xx series(especially the 650). Will they be a good choice for me?

To listen to music I use a Ld MK III or FiiO e9 connected to a FiiO E7(unfortunately buying an amp or dac is not an option in these countries).

Dec 24, 2011 at 5:00 AM Post #10,413 of 29,490

Quote:
Thank you for chiming in and letting me know that I am not going completely crazy just yet. I am 32 years old and still hear well after decades of playing guitar in live shows, so I do consider myself lucky and I try to take care of my ears.
Well I really enjoyed the SR125i I listened to and everyone says the 225i is head and shoulders better, so I think I am going to jump into the Grado club next week.

Well I would still like to be able to understand a conversation when I'm 30 instead of yelling "WHAT" every ten seconds. The funny thing is I already constantly do that though because of my bad multitasking and short attention span :wink:

Dec 24, 2011 at 6:54 AM Post #10,414 of 29,490

Quote:
You could always move up to the AD900. The K701/Q701 with the FiiO e9 is also a fairly popular combo. My personal favourite combination is a vintage Sextett with a Bottlehead Crack tube amp.

Right. So I'm gathering so far its probably going to be a tossup between say the AD900/AD1000s, K/Q701, DT880s.... anything else I should be looking at? For those that need amping I'll probably pair them up with the Matrix M-Stage, for those that don't will probably just be going straight out from the X-Fi Ti HD (which can take up with 300ohms via its amp).

So yea, any others I should look at? Music preference is as above, trance/house/techno/dubstep/dnb/rock/pop plus also tv, movies and gaming (but mostly music and tv/movies).

Budget could be anywhere between $400-600, don't really mind. A setup like the K701s + M-Stage would be ~$550ish.

Edit: Gotta also be very comfortable as I use them every day, but I imagine most high ish end headphones like this would  be comfortable anyways.

So yea, thoughts? Any other cans I should consider? Thanks :) 

Edit2: what about the HE-400s? Just read about them, sounds pretty decent, should be around the same price when specced with a Matrix?

Dec 24, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #10,415 of 29,490
Thanks for all the advice

I have narrowed  my choice down to either the Beyer DT 1350's without an amp  or DT 770's with a cheapish amp.
The 1350's are out of my budget, but I hope that after Christmas there will some sales occurring.

In a toss up between the two, which would you guys choose?

Thanks again.

Dec 24, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #10,416 of 29,490
The DT770 M looks like they would be about the best you could hope for in terms of isolation. The lower the impedance, the easier they are to drive.

Dec 24, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #10,417 of 29,490
Hi

Im looking for a new pair of headphones i wanna upgrade from my sennheiser HD-428 im looking for a closed headphone preferably more on the neutral side. I have done some research and have found two possible solutions the TMA-I or the AKG K550. My price range is up to $300 i listen to mostly hiphop and reggae. I have a fiio e11 so amping wouldn't be a problem. Im just wondering if the headphones i mentioned would be a good choice or if i should look at something else any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Dec 24, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #10,418 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi

Im looking for a new pair of headphones i wanna upgrade from my sennheiser HD-428 im looking for a closed headphone preferably more on the neutral side. I have done some research and have found two possible solutions the TMA-I or the AKG K550. My price range is up to $300 i listen to mostly hiphop and reggae. I have a fiio e11 so amping wouldn't be a problem. Im just wondering if the headphones i mentioned would be a good choice or if i should look at something else any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

From what I've heard, the K550s don't have much bass, so I would steer clear of them. However, the TMA-1s should sound great with your music. Another good pair to consider are the Shure SRH840s.

Dec 24, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #10,419 of 29,490
I am looking to get into a nice headphones setup. I have a budget of $350 for headphones (can be less). I have no problem in buying a DAC or AMP if needed. I am looking at the Schiit products to take care of that. All of my music is on my iMac (digital format) and I do have SPDIF that I plan to use. This will not be portable, home only.

I mostly listen to in no order:
Death Metal, Post Rock, and Acoustic (plus sub genres) most often. I do listen to classical or jazz depending on mood. I have a very broad musical interest. I guess it would be easier for me to have said what I don't listen to and that is Rap or Country. 

I prefer closed headphone so others don't hear what I am listening to if possible. Comfort is a big thing for me since I expect I will spend many hours at a time with them on. Used mostly while surfing the web or reading books. I do not listen to very loud volume. Even though its not very loud in my house some noise isolation will be great.

I hope that was short and to the point to help someone figure out what to suggest. I have spent a few hours surfing around this site but its a bit overwhelming so I thought I would ask for help for my situation.

Thanks
Larry

Dec 24, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #10,420 of 29,490
Thanks for the help i was actually really stuck on what to decide and i will definitely will take a look at the SRH840s. 

Just wondering is the bass on the k550s lacking or are they just not bass heavy because im not really a bass head but i like headphones that have true to the track bass

Thanks again

Dec 24, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #10,421 of 29,490
I am looking for a pair of over the ear headphones that can block out background sound pretty good as I plan to use them while I detail cars at work (the power washer and compressor are very loud). I also move around a lot so they can't have a loose fit on my head. I am willing to spend between 50 and 100 dollars on them. I will be plugging them into my old HTC Windows 7 phone that I use for music only. The headphones cant be bass heavy.

Thanks

-Elliott

Dec 24, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #10,422 of 29,490
Looking for an alternative to Denon-AHD2000

considered but not getting Ultrasone Pro 900 (reading around uncomfortable, made of plastic)

Any other suggestions from the $200 and under price range?

Also, would the Denon-AHD5000 big upgrade to the Denon-AHD2000?

Dec 24, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #10,423 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi guys I'm about to travel in next Wednesday, going to France and Italy, and I'm thinking about in buying one new pair of headphones. The budget is 300 Eur and I'm probably buy them online.

I want a warm, detailed sound with a good bass(not boomy) a prominent mid and detailed but no over presenced high's. A big wide and well separed soundstage would be nice too, and for this, I prefer open headphones(I'm not going to use them for mobile purposes, just to list to music in my setup).

I usually listen to rock, indie rock and most of it's ramifications(bands like Yes, pink Floyd, radio head, RHCP, creedence, Clapton).

I have the Dt880 600 ohms version, and I like them, but this time I want lesser bright sound signature... So I thought in the Senn Hd6xx series(especially the 650). Will they be a good choice for me?

To listen to music I use a Ld MK III or FiiO e9 connected to a FiiO E7(unfortunately buying an amp or dac is not an option in these countries).

Senn HD6xx would be a perfect option- I have HD600 and they have amazing mids, good frequency balance and very nice natural/gentle treble.  They shine with rock and are hard to beat until you spend ungodly sums of $.  Among the best performance for the price imo.  HD650 might work too, haven't heard those.

Dec 24, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #10,424 of 29,490

Quote:
Looking for an alternative to Denon-AHD2000

considered but not getting Ultrasone Pro 900 (reading around uncomfortable, made of plastic)

Any other suggestions from the $200 and under price range?

Also, would the Denon-AHD5000 big upgrade to the Denon-AHD2000?

SRH940 :)  If you reeealy need more bass and don't mind reduced soundstage, SRH840.  I like the latter as much as D5000, the former more than D5000 and D7000.

Dec 25, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #10,425 of 29,490

Quote:
Senn HD6xx would be a perfect option- I have HD600 and they have amazing mids, good frequency balance and very nice natural/gentle treble.  They shine with rock and are hard to beat until you spend ungodly sums of $.  Among the best performance for the price imo.  HD650 might work too, haven't heard those.

I'm in the middle of this dilemma :p, HD650 or 600, HD 650 is much more expansive(370Eur), the difference is over 80€, so I wonder if they are worth it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back