++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 21, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #10,321 of 29,490
What do you currently have?

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I just saw the HD958s on Amazon for about $170. I realize this is an excellent deal. However, would anyone advise against this impulse buy? Any opinions about the 598s are welcome. Looking for an upgrade anyways. Thanks

Dec 21, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #10,323 of 29,490
Which Sony headphone? They have a pretty wide variety of headphones, all of varying quality. 

Quote:
Just a cheap pair of sonys. couple years old. I was gonna get a decent pair of headphones anyways during the Xmas season - saw the low price and wondered if these would be a good choice.

Dec 21, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #10,325 of 29,490

Not going to lie, I haven't heard of that pair of headphones before. I'd assume it's like the rest of Sony's low end and isn't that good, but I can't say for certain.

My personal pick for a $20 headphone is the Monoprice MHP-839.  They really just seem to beat everything else I've seen under $25 out of the water, which really isn't too hard. 
Quote:
Haha sorry just a $20 pair they are MDR-G42s.

Dec 21, 2011 at 3:09 AM Post #10,328 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi, I'm new in all of this headphones stuff. I want to buy new headphones for my iPhone 4, so I want them with microphone and, if it is possible, with remote control for volume.
I have heard that Bose and Sennheiser are very good quality headphones, but as I said, I'm not an expert. I found on-ear headphones Bose OE2i and Sennheiser HD 218i. Also I found in-ear headphones Bose MIE2i, Sennheiser MM 70 iP and Klipsch Image S4i. I don't even know if those I mentioned are comparable, but this are the kind of headphones I'm looking for.
Can someone help me deciding which one of them is better in each case (in-ear and on-ear)? Or if there are better headphones recommended for about the same price $100 - $130 USD, I would also be open minded for recommendations. 
Thanks

Senn PX200-IIi

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I just saw the HD958s on Amazon for about $170. I realize this is an excellent deal. However, would anyone advise against this impulse buy? Any opinions about the 598s are welcome. Looking for an upgrade anyways. Thanks

Would this be an acceptable (to your budget) impulse purchase under normal circumstances, or is it an impulse thing because you've been hanging around head-fi? It'll only get worse...

Quote:
Looking for another gift for another friend(birthday, not Christmas).

I need something that can be driven with an MP3 player, laptop, etc. Neutrality is top priority. Budget is around $50.

Beyer DT235
Koss Porta Pro
Senn HD201/2/3

Dec 21, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #10,329 of 29,490

Quote:
Looking for another gift for another friend(birthday, not Christmas).

I need something that can be driven with an MP3 player, laptop, etc. Neutrality is top priority. Budget is around $50.

At $50? Superlux HD681 for $37. The only big downside to them is their treble, which is brighter than most studio monitors. Besides that, though, you'll be hard pressed to find too many other flat frequency response headphones in that price bracket. 

I'll say for neutrality I would suggest against a low end Sennheiser -- they're pretty muddy and bass heavy. 

Dec 21, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #10,330 of 29,490
I got the M50's, but I'm deciding to return them for their lack of bass and portability. So, I mainly listen to Electronic, DnB, Dubstep, Indie, and Hip-Hop. I would use these on a daily basis at school, but also at home. I need them to be some what portable and comfortable.

A few choices I'm considering: 
(Ranked from most to least considering)

1) Sennheiser HD25-1 ii $175 (What I hear about these is great, portable)
2) Ultrasone HFI-580 $118 (S-Logic is questionable, I have to try them first)
3) Stay with the M50's $125 (I got them for this price, not bad of a deal)
3) V-MODA M80 $200 (A little out of price range)

I will be using an iPod Nano 6g, but later I plan to get a Fiio E5 if it helps. So, what would be your recommendation? Should I spend the additional $50+ for the HD25-1 ii? Are there any others that you think I should consider? Remember I want at least some sort of punchy and apparent bass (Doesn't overwhelm the mids and highs) and great comfort with little leakage. Thanks for your help.

Dec 21, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #10,331 of 29,490

Lack of bass, huh? Was it bass quantity or bass quality, like the bass being too loose or something along those lines, that you didn't like?
Quote:
I got the M50's, but I'm deciding to return them for their lack of bass and portability. So, I mainly listen to Electronic, DnB, Dubstep, Indie, and Hip-Hop. I would use these on a daily basis at school, but also at home. I need them to be some what portable and comfortable.

A few choices I'm considering: 
(Ranked from most to least considering)

1) Sennheiser HD25-1 ii $175 (What I hear about these is great, portable)
2) Ultrasone HFI-580 $118 (S-Logic is questionable, I have to try them first)
3) Stay with the M50's $125 (I got them for this price, not bad of a deal)
3) V-MODA M80 $200 (A little out of price range)

I will be using an iPod Nano 6g, but later I plan to get a Fiio E5 if it helps. So, what would be your recommendation? Should I spend the additional $50+ for the HD25-1 ii? Are there any others that you think I should consider? Remember I want at least some sort of punchy and apparent bass (Doesn't overwhelm the mids and highs) and great comfort with little leakage. Thanks for your help.

Dec 21, 2011 at 6:23 AM Post #10,333 of 29,490
I've narrowed my choice down to the hd598 or the q701.  I have only a fiio e7 which (I'm pretty sure) won't drive the q701, but I am comfortable getting a better amp later as the headphone choice takes precedence for me.  I'm looking at an $80 price difference on Amazon, so I have to take that into account.  I listen to classic rock like clapton, grateful dead, neil young, but also some newer melodic indie stuff.  I don't think I'll go crazy and get into the habit of constantly upgrading (I say this now) so I'd like something that will last for years.  I've read that open backed phones offer the best sound for the $ and I don't care right now about sound-leak, so I've looked away from the Shure 940's even though they seem like a good bet for the prices I've seen (perhaps I should reconsider?) Thanks for any feedback.  

Dec 21, 2011 at 7:17 AM Post #10,334 of 29,490
I just couldn't stand the airplane noise any further.
I came across this forum through Lifehacker, in hopes of finding noise cancelling headphones. Now from lurking around the forums, I kinda felt  a bit of "dislike" towards Monster, Bose, and noise cancelling headphones (over ear/on ear). Before all that happens, I'm looking for advice about noise cancelling headphones - my budget is 300 or less (preferably less), perhaps with an iPhone mic cable, and can play without the noise cancelling function on.

I've came across the Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7b, but I'm not sure whether or not they're appropriate for my needs and I'm somewhat disappointed about the lack of an iPhone remote cable.

I primarily listen to choir music, classical, instrumental (symphonic), pop, and rock. If at all noise isolation of any headphones that you guys know can block off the annoying airplane noise and can meet the budget, please do suggest it to me. :D

Thanks for all your help!

ON A SIDE NOTE: are there any 3.5 mm cables that is for sale with an iPhone compatible remote and mic? :D

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #10,335 of 29,490
Sorry to post this again but my question got skipped about 4-5 pages back and I am trying to get something fairly soon, such as before new years (or if ordering from amazon before christmas, though price is more important than date so if I have to ill order from another site)

I am currently looking at the Audio Technica WS55's, the WS70's, and the V-Moda M/V80s, as I need something which I can use unamped with a galaxy nexus.
I listen to rap, rock(metal such as trivium), electronic, a bit of dubstep, and a very small (but often enough as to need to list it) amount of pop.
I want to try not to spend more than 160, though I will if I have to (I know the V-Modas are more)

Can anyone offer some advice as to what to purchase?  Are the 70's worth $50 more than the 55's. Are the V-Modas worth ditching the Audio Technica's and breaking out of my price range (Currently the V80's are 180 on amazon which is actually cheaper than the m80's which are the same right?)  Is there another, even better pair of headphones in my price range that I should know about?

Thanks for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back