++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 15, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #10,156 of 29,490
Hey guys I was hoping you could help advise me on which headphones I should buy since I only know the big brands like Sennheiser and Shure.

Here are a few things to note:
-Open
-~$150, also can suggest some a little more expensive, to about $200.
-The music I'm listening to right now is acoustic. 
-The music is either from YouTube (good recording though like Boyce Avenue, and some MP3's that are probably very low bitrate.
-I would like to listen to these un-amped.
-I would like it if the cord isn't extremely long (like 10 feet) but if it is, like the HD 595/598 it isn't TOO much of a concern.
-My only past headphone is the SRH-440. So that would be a benchmark for how good I know headphones sound.
-I would hope that they could be more comfortable then the 440's.
-Definitely over-ear headphones.
-The way the cable is made (coiled, straight) doesn't bother me too much.
-Detachable cable would be helpful in case of replacing parts.

That's pretty much all I can think about right now. If you guys would be so kind as to helping me it would be very appreciated and if I missed something just let me know!

Thanks

Dec 15, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #10,157 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm looking for my first set of real headphones, as the best pair of phones I've used so far are a middle-of-the-pack pair of IEMs.

I'm not an audiophile, but I make sure to use good quality music (256+ bitrate or lossless); I listen to music for pure enjoyment.

Right now I'm leaning towards the AKG K240 MKIIs based on what I've heard people say about sound quality, but I am also considering a closed headphone that would be more portable, such as the Audio Technica ATH M50s or V-Moda M-80s or Crossfade LP2s.

I've never really heard much about the V-Modas, how do they compare to the others I listed?

I've also never owned a pair of semi-open headphones, do the K240's leak less than a completely open headphone or the same amount?

Thanks.

Ken

The K240 is a nice midrange headphone, although it likes to have a bit of extra power/amping behind it. 

The M50 and V-Moda options are solid choices. The M80 will have the most balanced sound, but does not isolate very well. The M50 and LP2 are both bassier, and the M50 would be a bit more portable since it can fold up while the LP2 does not (but it does come with a hard case). 

In terms of sound leakage, Grados are almost louder on the outside than in, the open backed Senns and Audio Technicas would be next, and I would place the AKG models after that. 

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. So the HD25 SP1 are on par quality wise with other phones mentioned? I was only able to find one review from 6 years ago and some not too positive comments about them. But I guess they are compared to HD25-1 II which cost twice as much here.

I would say the SP is roughly on par with other headphones in the $100 range.

Quote:
Hey guys, bit of a noob but I'v been learning a ton over the last few days of reading these forums. Anyways, I'm trying to make the most well informed purchase for my next pair of headphones because I'll probably stick with em for a very long time.

I went from the Klipsch S4 -> Beats Studio (grad. gift)

And after two years, the left side of the Beats speaker pretty much went out which I did like for its bass and was my first encounter with good(keep in mind, I was all about earbuds prior to using these) on ear headphones. My roommate has the M50 which I considered buying because it played rock music much better than the Beats but I'd say 70% of the music I listen to is jazzy/progressive hip hop and am a big loseless user, but I do want a versatile pair because I listen to a lot of other genres like indie, rock, electronic, etc. and the m50's felt underwhelming in the hip hop genre.

I want full size phones but I'm on the go a lot for classes and I don't want my cable to be ridiculously long like the m50 so I'm considering a portable pair also. I also plan on getting a portable amp (fiio e6)

I thought I was set on the DT 990 premiums because reviews seemed to fit well with my preferences but some suggested they weren't good for portability and the 32 ohms were the weakest of the DT model
I saw some suggestions for the 25HDII and V-Moda M-80s but those haven't quite sold me yet.

I'd like a good deep bass but I'm also looking for crisper clarity and sound stage than my Beats.

Weight and looks arent too important to me compared to sound quality.

Sound leakage isn't that important to me unless its a huge problem.

A small sample of music I like to listen to through a quality pair.

Sound leakage may not be a concern, but in a school environment you will probably want some degree of isolation so you can hear your music in the first place. If you're considering the Beyer line, the DT770 would be more appropriate for portable use. You can check my profile for a review of the HD25-ii vs M80. 

Dec 15, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #10,158 of 29,490
Looking for for some open headphones that are circumaural for 100$ preferably on ebay.
Im only gonna use them at home so dont need to be portabel at all as i use IEMs when im outside.
They will be used for music(hiphop) and gaming (shooters).
Comfort would be a big plus as my fake v6's and portapros start hurting after a while.
If needed I have a Cambride Audio stereoamplifier i assume will be good enough for for powerhungry headphones
Thanks for reading

Dec 15, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #10,159 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi guys, first post here.
I'll admit upfront, I know nothing about headphones. I'm looking for a pair of headphones (up to £140/£150 ish) for listening to music on my stereo, I'll also use them with my laptop but their main use will be with my stereo. I listen to a lot of different types of music, my favourite genre is metal - thrash, death and heavy metal are my favourites. They obviously need to sound great when listening to metal. My favourite non metal and rock artists/bands are The Smiths/Morrissey, The Beatles and LIGHTS, so obviously they'll have to sound good with other genres as well. 
I've just been looking at the Sennheiser 558's on amazon, they have great reviews, are these any good?
Thanks for the help upfront.

I do like the sound of my Sennheiser HD-558, there are 50-Ohms, so will work off most headphone jacks.
You do know the HD-558s are open headphones.
CALs (Creative Aurvana Live), nice sound, closed, 32-Ohm.
Both Sound best with a headphone amplifier, but will work fairly decently without one.

Dec 15, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #10,160 of 29,490
I'm looking for some good headphones but I'm just totally stumped by the numerous choices.
I want them to be closed perferably since my family is rather loud.
They should be vaguely portable on rare occasions.
No preference on amped or unamped although i've never really got to try amped ones.
They will be mainly used with my computer at home although if i want to take them with me somewhere i want to be able to.

I listen to various genres ranging from Smooth Jazz to classic rock to Heavy metal. I basically listen to everything except country and rap.

I don't really care about the size of the phones although I do want them to look classy.
I'm also not really a basshead although I used to be. (Bass gets rather old after a while)
My budget maxes at about $300 for the whole setup but I could if they were really awesome I could bring it up to $400 (although a lower priced setup would make my wallet happier)

My past headphone experience comes from $10 throwaway buds, skullcandy buds, and my current headphones the Sony MDR-XB500 (You can see why bass got old)

Dec 15, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #10,161 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys I was hoping you could help advise me on which headphones I should buy since I only know the big brands like Sennheiser and Shure.
Here are a few things to note:
-Open
-~$150, also can suggest some a little more expensive, to about $200.
-The music I'm listening to right now is acoustic. 
-The music is either from YouTube (good recording though like Boyce Avenue, and some MP3's that are probably very low bitrate.
-I would like to listen to these un-amped.
-I would like it if the cord isn't extremely long (like 10 feet) but if it is, like the HD 595/598 it isn't TOO much of a concern.
-My only past headphone is the SRH-440. So that would be a benchmark for how good I know headphones sound.
-I would hope that they could be more comfortable then the 440's.
-Definitely over-ear headphones.
-The way the cable is made (coiled, straight) doesn't bother me too much.
-Detachable cable would be helpful in case of replacing parts.
That's pretty much all I can think about right now. If you guys would be so kind as to helping me it would be very appreciated and if I missed something just let me know!
Thanks

Sennheiser HD-558, go to the Electronics Expo website, use the coupon code "BOUNTII".

Dec 15, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #10,162 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm looking for some good headphones but I'm just totally stumped by the numerous choices.
No preference on amped or unamped although i've never really got to try amped ones.
They will be mainly used with my computer at home although if i want to take them with me somewhere i want to be able to.
I listen to various genres ranging from Smooth Jazz to classic rock to Heavy metal. I basically listen to everything except country and rap.
I don't really care about the size of the phones although I do want them to look classy.
I'm also not really a basshead although I used to be. (Bass gets rather old after a while)
My budget maxes at about $300 for the whole setup but I could if they were really awesome I could bring it up to $400 (although a lower priced setup would make my wallet happier)
My past headphone experience comes from $10 throwaway buds, skullcandy buds, and my current headphones the Sony MDR-XB500 (You can see why bass got old)

CALs (Creative Aurvana Live), well under your budget.

Dec 15, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #10,164 of 29,490

Quote:
Looking for for some open headphones that are circumaural for 100$ preferably on ebay.
Im only gonna use them at home so dont need to be portabel at all as i use IEMs when im outside.
They will be used for music(hiphop) and gaming (shooters).
Comfort would be a big plus as my fake v6's and portapros start hurting after a while.
If needed I have a Cambride Audio stereoamplifier i assume will be good enough for for powerhungry headphones
Thanks for reading

I'd go for a Senn HD555 and simply mod it into a 595

Quote:

Highly isolation options, with a couple notes: 
Beyer DT770 - the biggest and least portable, also generally wants an amp
Beyer DT1350 - portable size, on ear, clamps moderately hard
Senn HD280/380 - tied with DT770 for isolation, more portable
Senn HD25-1-ii - portable, rugged, on ear, not much to look at, strong clamp
B&W P5 - on ear but very soft and comfortable, excellent isolation, good looks

Dec 15, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #10,165 of 29,490
Dec 15, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #10,166 of 29,490

Hey Guys,
Newbie here looking for some headphone advice. Im a college student studying Biology, so naturally I spend a good time in the books. Ill be wearing these at home with my Macbook Pro and on the go with my iPhone (un-amped), commuting to school and walking to class. Priorities are as follows:

1. Comfort (Ill be wearing these for up to six hours at a time, studying in my room with my roommate there or in the library, looking for something sweat-free)
2. Isolation (library, roommate, you get the picture)
3. Sound (listen to some alternative, hip-hop, and 80s, Coldplay, Florence + the Machine, Jay-Z, Cudi, Adele, Best Coast, Death Cab for Cutie, Journey, love me some good highs and lows)
4. Durability (I can accommodate the bulk for better sound, but its gotta be able to take a beating for the daily commute in my backpack)

Budget: $150-200

In my time searching through this site Ive noticed a few headphones that seem to fit my needs.

Beyer DT770
Shure 840/940
V-Moda Crossfade LP
Fischer Audio FA-003
Sennheiser HD 25-1 II (on-ear but commonly recommended as an isolated alternative)

Summary: Ideal for me would be a comfortable over-ear headphone that has a nice fun sound and preferably a stylish look to it. Needs to take a beating. Energetic but not overpowering base and tweets are a plus.

Let me know what you all think

Dec 15, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #10,167 of 29,490
Thanks for your advice Armaegis but i cant seem to find the hd 555 for anywhere near 100$, they are 220$ here in norway and the only place i find them is at amazon for 160$. We have the same problem as the canadians with import tax, 25% on orders bigger then 35$, thats why i want to find them on ebays so a seller can "fix" the declared value.

Well this got long was just gonna ask if you have something else i can look at?

Dec 16, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #10,169 of 29,490

Quote:
Yeah the problem is that I live in Canada so I need Canadian websites. Also, I hear people say that the HD 555's are better then their successor so I was wondering what you had to say to that?
Thanks

I've never used the HD-555, but never heard anyone say the HD-555s sounds better then the HD-558s.
If someone had been using well broken in HD-555s with a good headphone amplifier and then listen to brand new HD-558s that were not using a headphone amplifier, they might say the HD-555 sounded better.

Buy used HD-558s in the USA, off eBay, make sure the seller does not list the return address with a business and maybe no insurance.

Or go to the Electronics Expo website, buy new HD-558s (hopefully they ship to Canada), use the coupon code "BOUNTII".
Might be worth it even with the tariff.

Dec 16, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #10,170 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey Guys,
Newbie here looking for some headphone advice. Im a college student studying Biology, so naturally I spend a good time in the books. Ill be wearing these at home with my Macbook Pro and on the go with my iPhone (un-amped), commuting to school and walking to class. Priorities are as follows:
1. Comfort (Ill be wearing these for up to six hours at a time, studying in my room with my roommate there or in the library, looking for something sweat-free)
2. Isolation (library, roommate, you get the picture)
3. Sound (listen to some alternative, hip-hop, and 80s, Coldplay, Florence + the Machine, Jay-Z, Cudi, Adele, Best Coast, Death Cab for Cutie, Journey, love me some good highs and lows)
4. Durability (I can accommodate the bulk for better sound, but its gotta be able to take a beating for the daily commute in my backpack)
Budget: $150-200
In my time searching through this site Ive noticed a few headphones that seem to fit my needs.
Beyer DT770
Shure 840/940
V-Moda Crossfade LP
Fischer Audio FA-003
Sennheiser HD 25-1 II (on-ear but commonly recommended as an isolated alternative)
Summary: Ideal for me would be a comfortable over-ear headphone that has a nice fun sound and preferably a stylish look to it. Needs to take a beating. Energetic but not overpowering base and tweets are a plus.
Let me know what you all think

The only DT770 that works well unamped is the 32-Ohm, but it's the lightest bass of the DT770s.
The DT770 80-Ohm (the bassest one) will work decently unamped, but a headphone amplifier brings out it's best.
The DT770 are fairly durable headphones, I own two (80 and 250-Ohm).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back