++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 11, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #10,067 of 29,490
Okay so I'm stuck trying to decide what I want. I have a lenient budget of ~$300 but I think I'm wanting either too much or something that isn't there. I have the HD555 and MS1i. I like both for different reasons and I can listen to the same track with either pair and appreciate them both. I've been looking at either the MS2i or HD600 but I'm just wondering if there's something that kinda combines the two. I know the HD600 needs a good amp to work to their fullest. Right now, I have the Essence STX and I plan on getting an amp sometime soon. I'm mainly listen to rock and metal. 

So am I asking too too much or just something that isn't there? 

Dec 12, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #10,070 of 29,490
Voodoo modded Android phone (Preferably Optimus 2x) with direct headphone out vs iMod with a cmoy. Which is better purely based on sound quality and by how much of a margin? I am assuming iMod is better of course but Voodoo intrigues me... An answer would be greatly appreciated.

Dec 12, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #10,071 of 29,490

Quote:
Okay so I'm stuck trying to decide what I want. I have a lenient budget of ~$300 but I think I'm wanting either too much or something that isn't there. I have the HD555 and MS1i. I like both for different reasons and I can listen to the same track with either pair and appreciate them both. I've been looking at either the MS2i or HD600 but I'm just wondering if there's something that kinda combines the two. I know the HD600 needs a good amp to work to their fullest. Right now, I have the Essence STX and I plan on getting an amp sometime soon. I'm mainly listen to rock and metal. 

When you say rock or metal the headphone that seems to pop in is the HD25 by sennheiser. Within the price range too and especially good if paired with a relatively inexpensive PA2V2. I must stress that I am not speaking based on experience but rather based on what I have read from other places. 

Dec 12, 2011 at 4:08 AM Post #10,072 of 29,490

Quote:

Hey there, I'm looking for new headphones and an Amp.
I mostly listen to Rock and Jazz (dabble in some hip-hop and classical from time to time ;p) also to a lesser extent I want them for gaming.
I originally planned on buying the HD-650, but I feel they're a little bit overpriced in the UK. The cheapest I can get them for is around £270, whereas I can get the Dt-990 Pro for around £130. Do you think it's worth paying nearly double for them?
I'll also be looking for an amplifier and a dac. I have a FiiO e7 now, should I invest in a new dac (or get an amp with dac) or can I use that and just get a separate amp?

I know I'm posting this a second time, but the first seem seems to have gotten lost a few pages back

Bang for the buck, I'd go with the DT990 and get the e9 amp to pair with your current e7.

Quote:
Currently I bought SRH 940, and it sounds great..

I want to try with stronger bass, would c421 amp solve that problem?

Thank you

Simply amping will not "solve" bass. Getting an amp with bass boost will do it though. 

Quote:

The STX should be sufficient amp for any of those headphones. 

As for something in between the HD600 and MS2... maybe an Audio Technica AD900/1000? (or a used AD2000) or perhaps an Ultrasone?

Quote:
Will the Sony XB700 distort other sounds to make up for bass?

It won't really distort it, but the strong bass will kind of overwhelm everything else and blur out the detail. 

Dec 12, 2011 at 4:32 AM Post #10,073 of 29,490

Hello, I wanted to ask all of you for advice, which is obvious. Normally I do that by researching sites like this/amazon/youtube for reviews, but I can't really see my next headphones very clearly as I saw my previous headphones.

My first audiophile's headphones were Koss PortaPro, which I liked very much, but they simply broke. I wanted something new, so I did my research and decided on Sennheiser HD205 which were good, but not that good as they broke too, so I disassembled them (that was fun). My next headphones were AKG K450 which were awesome - I never heard a better bass sound, but the cable broke (I don't have luck with cables, don't I?) and I repaired it myself. I sold them because they didn't do good with sound isolation, and I really wanted overear-cup headphones. So I started searching again, and found Sennheisers HD448, which have very high notes. They were good, although the bass wasn't as good as AKG's and they were extremely bad with my ipod. They made (that's what Google translator said) grunt bass noise, but they did good connected to a PC. Sadly, I needed money so I sold them and my ipod (I'm not a fan of apple in the first place) and I plan on something that will play closely/better than AKG's, will be over ear, noise cancelling and the design  close to my thought-of's. I play music mainly on my computer, but I also use them outside, for example connected to a phone. I'm also desperate since I'm using Sony Ericsson's earphones.

I would go like a stupid for Beats Studio, but since I had them on my head (3 friends from class have them) I say "What is this" to them. Something that bad yet it needs batteries. Cables are nice though...

My "thought of" list:

Sennheiser HD215
Shure SRH440
Shure SRH550 DJ
Teufel Aureol Massive
Beyerdynamic DTX 910

I read good things and bad things about them (well, not about BD's and Teufel's since no one tested them here, only at amazon). So I wanted to ask you: Which?

Also tell me if you have something to add to this list.

I listen to: Hip Hop, Rock, Dubstep, Trance, Electronic, Reggae, some classics.
Mainly Lossless quality, also vinyl lover.

Please help me choose, I really want to choose carefully!

Quote:

Try to find a sale on the Shure 750 which will offer more ruggedness and a better cable over the 550. 

Sorry, the price for them is more than £100, I can't go more than £70 :/

Dec 12, 2011 at 4:37 AM Post #10,074 of 29,490
What good headphones are there for the itouch? If there are any threads or sites with info comparing or listing good headphones for personal mp3 use, can someone post a link?  I have read hundreds of reviews, and nothing tickles my fancy.  No price cap, I'm willing to spend for a good match.  Right now I am leaning towards the Senn HD 558/PXC 450.. but I don't like the input jack.

I'm looking for:
Over the ear headphones
Noise Canceling
3.5mm input, similar to the Senn HD 600
Not only for monitoring.. I listen to mp3's and movies, no audio editing.
Prefer soft headphone lining, like the Sennheiser's 598
Closed dynamic models

Dec 12, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #10,075 of 29,490

Quote:
Bang for the buck, I'd go with the DT990 and get the e9 amp to pair with your current e7.

Thanks, do you think it's maybe worth investing a little more in the the dt 990 premium version?
Also why are the dt-880 250Ohm about a third more expensive than the dt-990Ohm? From what I understand the dt880 are slightly worse. 

Dec 12, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #10,076 of 29,490
This is my first time really doing my homework before buying headphones - my Sennheiser HD 202 (first version) died on me recently. They were my favorites since a pair of Philips something or others I had back in high school.

Basically, the replacements I need will be used for music, movies, and games, but given my taste in the latter two, whatever works best for the first should be just fine for me (I don't particularly care about surround or sound stage).

-Taste in music is a little of everything, but typically ends up being first and foremost rock
-Given the above, if I were alright with spending more and could use open phones, I'd probably get a Grados SR60i or SR80i
-On that note, MUST be closed - got people I don't want to bother
-I'm loathe to spend above $50 right now (if I must push it, I don't want to go much past that at all)
-That also means I'd rather not have something that requires an amp

From all of that, I had determined JVC HA-RX700 would do me well, but when seeing it talked about here in the past, it was referred to as being about $35. I can't find it for that online at all, the closest after shipping putting it at about $42 with the average being around $50. I figured, if I'm going to end up spending that much more than what people were saying it was good for in its price range, shouldn't I be looking for something of the same type at that higher price but better?

That's pretty much where I am right now, and I've exhausted myself over this, so I'd appreciate any help at all. So in short, does anyone either know a place to get the RX700 for less that I'm somehow not seeing, or know of any better alternatives for $50?

Dec 12, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #10,077 of 29,490

I've been seriously considering getting an Astro mixamp 5.8 and a nice set of headphones (up to $550).  I don't have a lot of experience in high end headphones, but I have owned Westone UM1's and currently have a set of Westone 3's.  In addition I have also looked into purchasing a portable headphone amp  (emmeline p-51 mustang for example), but I always seem to have other things that are more important to spend my money on.

This is my current receiver:
http://nadelectronics.com/products/av-receivers/T-747-A/V-Surround-Sound-Receiver

In addition I have a PS3 to play games such as modern warfare/bioshock/MK9, and I use PS3 media server to stream music from my laptop.  I am also moving all of my movies and music to an eternal harddrive enclosed in a thermaltake case that will run through my oppo bdp93 http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-93/ via Esata.

Musically I mainly listen to electronica, industrial, rock, metal, mixed in with some Madonna, Roger Waters, Floyd, Beck, Phish

Now...for the future.

My current budget is around 350$, but I may have a way to get a pair of $550 headphones at the same cost so I need a few opinions at both price levels.

I plan on using a clip on mic for gaming rather than getting the beyerdynamic mmx300.

I would like to be able to listen to movies, and music with the astro mixamp while doing other projects in the house, but if I can't get the most out of the headphones because of the limitations of the Mixamp (which I have read in a few threads) I would much rather have it wired to my NAD reciever.  I will more likely be stationary, but the idea of moving around the house while listening to music is a plus.

The ability to produce positional effects will also be important for Ps3 gaming, and computer gaming (Counter-strike Source)

I really want a nice set that can handle the explosion at the end of "late home tonight pt.1" from Roger Waters album Amused to Death.  I have the album via vinyl rip and the Gold cd pressing in FLAC.

I would prefer that the sound not leak from the headphones so I don't disturb others if I use them in public or around family members, but if that will degrade the audio quality i'm willing to be "forever alone"

Someone please point me in a few directions.  If there are some reviews/websites that people have used to make a decision I would love to see them.

***one of the other reasons that I would prefer to go wireless is that I have two 100 lb. dobermans that get to running around downstairs where the home theater is and I don't want them running through the cord that is extended from the reciever, thereby damaging the wired connections.  I know that some have detachable cables (that could be replace) but I'm leery of possible problems with loose attachment/connection***

Dec 12, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #10,078 of 29,490
Looking at the HD 600 (old) and 650 (new), and leaning to the latter. I'll be using it 99% for classical music. If anyone has experience with both of these headphones and with actual live music to compare it to, I would appreciate your input; the decision is driving me nuts.

Dec 12, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #10,079 of 29,490
I'm buying some headphones for my girlfriend and was about to settle on the Soul by Ludacris SL300 since it seems to be well suited to the music she listens to, and perhaps most importable, look fashionable which will appeal to her. (And yes, I know there are better headphone choices out there sound quality wise, but I'm making a choice based on fashion here)

I was about to pull the trigger on these, but then saw some reviews for the Fanny Wangs. The design of them look fashionable as well, and arguably better than the Soul SL300s.  

I tried searching for reviews of the Fanny Wang "Over Ear DJ" and "Over Ear ANC" (active noise cancelling) but couldn't find any. Only reviews are for the lowest model, the "On Ear".

Anyone have thoughts on these 2 Fanny Wang models?

Dec 12, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #10,080 of 29,490
940 are great, but do slightly lack bass.  Very powerful (non-portable) amps considerably tighten and slightly amplify bass.  If you want a portable amp, you might consider something with bass boost, like a Fiio or cMoy with variable bass boost.

Quote:
Currently I bought SRH 940, and it sounds great..

I want to try with stronger bass, would c421 amp solve that problem?

Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back