++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 11, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #10,051 of 29,490
I don't need really nice ones because I don't listen often. But when I do I'd at least like to be more involved and have more emotion in my epic music than in these ridiculously leaky skullcandys. So I guess some decent Soundstage would be nice?

Dec 11, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #10,052 of 29,490
Hey Head-Fiers,

So I'm fairly new to the audiophile scene, and I'd like to take the plunge and get my first set of nice over ear headphones.  I'm currently using Sennheiser in-ear phones, and while they're great for working out, they have absolutely no bass and are uncomfortable to wear for long periods.  I listen to music on my iPod or my computer (Dell with no sound card), so I don't need anything extreme.  I'd like full size over ear headphones that are comfortable to wear.  I'd prefer to not have to get a desktop amp, so a lower power set would be preferable.  I mostly listen to acoustic/rock (not as much bass), so I'd prefer crisper mids/highs over bone shaking bass (but I'd still like some bass).  From research I've done already, it seems like Sennheisers would give me the sound I want (I like to sound quality of my in ear Sennheisers, just miss having some bass).  My budget isn't too high, preferably under $100.  My two top choices right now are Sennheiser HD448s (from Amazon) or HD555s (new from a guy local), both of which are in my price range.  Are these good choices? Or is there another set of cans I should be looking into? Thanks for all the help.

Dec 11, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #10,053 of 29,490
Hi, thanks for replying in advance.

My first post, and I really love the forums here.. been reading for hours.  I might come off as a noob, so bare with me.

My budget is from 100-300$.  I am aware that there are pricey headphones that accomplish more than I require.  I will use these headphones on my itouch (latest model) and my macbook pro (spring 2011).  I would prefer to enjoy the headphones without an amp, as I travel a lot daily.  I listen to a lot of hiphop and classic rock.  Not much classical, unless I'm studying for an exam.  I will use them on my desktop pc, for games, music, and movies.  However, there main use will be, for music, during my daily travel from home to school.

Also, I can't have anything flashy.  I was a victim of robbery in New York City, where I go to school, for my last pair of headphones.  No fear.  I want back in, just not something flashy.  I am considering the Senn 500's models, but I believe they all need 1/8 adapters.  

If there are any threads or recommendations on high quality headphones for mp3 players, feel free to link.

Best,

Dec 11, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #10,054 of 29,490
I'm looking for a more bass heavy set of cans to compliment my Q701s. Any recommendations?

My top two choices at the moment are the Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm and the Ultrasone Pro 900.

Just how much more significant is the bass in the DT990s compared to the Q701s? My main concern is getting the DT990s and finding the bass to just be a minor boost. And my concern with the Pro 900s is the closed in sound of closed cans. Will they fatigue my ears much more quickly?

Dec 11, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #10,055 of 29,490
Hey guys this is my first post and I hope to get some good information from this forum. Here are the circumstances.

1. I will be in an office environment so I can't have any sound leaking.

1. I listen to rap and hip-hop with some electronic.

1. My budget is around $400-500.

Thanks guys!

Dec 11, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #10,056 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys this is my first post and I hope to get some good information from this forum. Here are the circumstances.

1. I will be in an office environment so I can't have any sound leaking.

1. I listen to rap and hip-hop with some electronic.

1. My budget is around $400-500.

Thanks guys!

Ultrasone Pro 900

with the extra money buy an amp/DAC, possibly a FiiO E10

Dec 11, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #10,058 of 29,490
Any good headphones for classical/epic music under $100? I'm using $40 Skullcandy Lowriders...Eww I know. I just need a little upgrade, not huge. Senn HD 202 II looks really cheap but it used to be $60 so would it be worth my time? And before you throw the M50's at me, I'm getting those for my brother, I want something less expensive for myself. Something with decent soundstage, i dont care about bass. Just something cheap and better be heck of a lot better than those stinkin' lowriders...only thing good about them is that they're pretty portable for being on the ear phones. Problem is I'm in a dorm and need lots of isolation.

Dec 11, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #10,062 of 29,490

Quote:
Crap, I saw this after I made a post. Here is my thread:

Hello all!

Thanks for taking your time to read this, I have a question for all of you!

I am buying a new computer to play SW:TOR. I would like to buy a semi decent headset (Only in the 150 or less range I'm afraid) to use. I have a larger head and everything I read about the AD700 made me super excited... until I read that it has no bass. I listen a lot of music that tends to be a bit bass heavy (Rock, Hardcore rock etc).

So, does anyone have any suggestions for a nice headset that is comfortable for 5-12 hour sessions of use for someone with a bigger than average head that has some oomph to it. Open or closed it doesn't matter but everything I'm reading says Open is the way to go for what I want.  I don't need it to shake my house.. but I heard the AD700's have no bass and that's not acceptable.

Also currently using Logictech G330's

Thanks so much!

Your friendly neighborhood snack,

Zebracakes

Sony XB700 should fill your basshead needs and fit a large head. 

Quote:
@SanjiWatsuki

The ATH-M50s don't need to be amped do they?

Nope.

Quote:
Hey Head-Fiers,

So I'm fairly new to the audiophile scene, and I'd like to take the plunge and get my first set of nice over ear headphones.  I'm currently using Sennheiser in-ear phones, and while they're great for working out, they have absolutely no bass and are uncomfortable to wear for long periods.  I listen to music on my iPod or my computer (Dell with no sound card), so I don't need anything extreme.  I'd like full size over ear headphones that are comfortable to wear.  I'd prefer to not have to get a desktop amp, so a lower power set would be preferable.  I mostly listen to acoustic/rock (not as much bass), so I'd prefer crisper mids/highs over bone shaking bass (but I'd still like some bass).  From research I've done already, it seems like Sennheisers would give me the sound I want (I like to sound quality of my in ear Sennheisers, just miss having some bass).  My budget isn't too high, preferably under $100.  My two top choices right now are Sennheiser HD448s (from Amazon) or HD555s (new from a guy local), both of which are in my price range.  Are these good choices? Or is there another set of cans I should be looking into? Thanks for all the help.

One is open, the other is closed. Choose based on your need. Open headphones will generally have a smoother response and better soundstage, but leak out sound and will not isolate from external noises which detracts from your music.

Quote:
Hi, thanks for replying in advance.

My first post, and I really love the forums here.. been reading for hours.  I might come off as a noob, so bare with me.

My budget is from 100-300$.  I am aware that there are pricey headphones that accomplish more than I require.  I will use these headphones on my itouch (latest model) and my macbook pro (spring 2011).  I would prefer to enjoy the headphones without an amp, as I travel a lot daily.  I listen to a lot of hiphop and classic rock.  Not much classical, unless I'm studying for an exam.  I will use them on my desktop pc, for games, music, and movies.  However, there main use will be, for music, during my daily travel from home to school.

Also, I can't have anything flashy.  I was a victim of robbery in New York City, where I go to school, for my last pair of headphones.  No fear.  I want back in, just not something flashy.  I am considering the Senn 500's models, but I believe they all need 1/8 adapters.  

If there are any threads or recommendations on high quality headphones for mp3 players, feel free to link.

Best,

Senn HD25-1-ii or AiAiAi TMA-1. They are super durable, not flashy, roughly the same price, the HD25-1-ii has a lot of punch and isolates very well, the TMA-1 is a very bassy.

Quote:
I'm looking for a more bass heavy set of cans to compliment my Q701s. Any recommendations?

My top two choices at the moment are the Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm and the Ultrasone Pro 900.

Just how much more significant is the bass in the DT990s compared to the Q701s? My main concern is getting the DT990s and finding the bass to just be a minor boost. And my concern with the Pro 900s is the closed in sound of closed cans. Will they fatigue my ears much more quickly?

You could get the Pro2900 or the HFi2400 which are the open versions. 

Quote:
Any good headphones for classical/epic music under $100? I'm using $40 Skullcandy Lowriders...Eww I know. I just need a little upgrade, not huge. Senn HD 202 II looks really cheap but it used to be $60 so would it be worth my time? And before you throw the M50's at me, I'm getting those for my brother, I want something less expensive for myself. Something with decent soundstage, i dont care about bass. Just something cheap and better be heck of a lot better than those stinkin' lowriders...only thing good about them is that they're pretty portable for being on the ear phones. Problem is I'm in a dorm and need lots of isolation.

Cheap and isolating: Sennheiser HD280

Quote:
I was thinking Senn HD 428 and I can splurge so far as the Senn HD555....but I'm not sure. Mainly I'm looking for optimal soundstage and SQ, while also having zero leakage

The 555 are open headphones, so sound will definitely leak out. 

Dec 11, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #10,064 of 29,490

Hey there, I'm looking for new headphones and an Amp.
I mostly listen to Rock and Jazz (dabble in some hip-hop and classical from time to time ;p) also to a lesser extent I want them for gaming.
I originally planned on buying the HD-650, but I feel they're a little bit overpriced in the UK. The cheapest I can get them for is around £270, whereas I can get the Dt-990 Pro for around £130. Do you think it's worth paying nearly double for them?
I'll also be looking for an amplifier and a dac. I have a FiiO e7 now, should I invest in a new dac (or get an amp with dac) or can I use that and just get a separate amp?

I know I'm posting this a second time, but the first seem seems to have gotten lost a few pages back

Dec 11, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #10,065 of 29,490
I'm with Posam. It seems like they can't crank enough of these out to feed the masses. I've looked around a lot and can not find them anywhere for what people claim to be nabbing them for ($200!?!?). Anyways if anyone knows anywhere to find them a little discounted I think we'd both appreciate it. Thanks!

Quote:
Where can i buy a some Denon d2000s? Amazon has none and doesn't say when they will have more, i found some here: http://www.accessoryjack.com/denon-ah-d2000-closed-type-stereo-headphones-black.html.
They are active on resellerratings and have excellent reviews on there but they are grey market and thus no warranty. Would it be worth getting them from there or wait for amazon to get some more?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back