++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 8, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #9,961 of 29,490
The Mountain Goats
John Vanderslice
Radiohead
Arcade Fire
Ted Leo
Flaming Lips
White Stripes
Metric
Okkervil River
Metric
Pavement

If I were to do something silly like get a new pair of headphones, is there something that synergizes with my music choices better than the hd-650's?  I could keep listing things but I think I got the gist of it!  Would probably be looking in the $200-$300 used range.  I'd either resell them or finally replace my hd-650's.

Dec 9, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #9,962 of 29,490
Hey guys, once again,

As you may already know, I'm looking at AKG K240 MKII, Beyerdynamic 770dt pro, audio technica ath m50, and other similar headphones.

I recently came across V-Moda headphones, which I really like the style of, and they are in the same price range.

How do V-Moda m80's and crossfade lp's compare in sound (for music enjoyment) to the headphones listed above?

Thanks.

Dec 9, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #9,963 of 29,490
Hi everyone, 

I'm looking to get myself a basshead setup, I already have a HD598, E7, E5 as well as a pair of K701s in my sights. But after guaranteeing myself some good work over the holidays I've decided I want to go for a portable (read transportable/ acceptable for the occasional train journey) rig with a nice bit of bass. For some reason I like to listen to a more 'exciting' sound when I'm on the go and for me that includes a prominent bass. I'm willing to spend about £250-300 on such a set up and I've been looking at the iBasso T3, the ZO2 and the FiiO E11 paired with one of the Ultrasone HFI-580 or 780, the Denon AHD-1100 or the Sony XB700 (not sure about size).

Can you guys give me a good recommendation or an alternative? Preferably cheaper. I'm a value for money guy. Btw in dollars the range is about $390-470

Dec 9, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #9,964 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi everyone, 

I'm looking to get myself a basshead setup, I already have a HD598, E7, E5 as well as a pair of K701s in my sights. But after guaranteeing myself some good work over the holidays I've decided I want to go for a portable (read transportable/ acceptable for the occasional train journey) rig with a nice bit of bass. For some reason I like to listen to a more 'exciting' sound when I'm on the go and for me that includes a prominent bass. I'm willing to spend about £250-300 on such a set up and I've been looking at the iBasso T3, the ZO2 and the FiiO E11 paired with one of the Ultrasone HFI-580 or 780, the Denon AHD-1100 or the Sony XB700 (not sure about size).

Can you guys give me a good recommendation or an alternative? Preferably cheaper. I'm a value for money guy. Btw in dollars the range is about $390-470

Vmoda M80?

Dec 9, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #9,967 of 29,490

Quote:
Go with the HD280. They are a solid headphone and the best value for you. They have a pretty flat frequency response which is good for the production side of things, and also isolate better than any of the other options short of the DT770.

Thank you for reading my post!! I ordered the Sennheiser HD280 Pro 64 ohm today.

Dec 9, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #9,968 of 29,490
Hi guys, I've done a lot of reading on the forums and reading reviews. 

I currently have a pair of Sen-HD202, but I got it probably close to a decade ago, and the padding was worn out and the I have duck tape on the cord because my dog chewed on it.

Anyways, I would like to upgrade to a new set of around-ear headphones to listen at home. I have a pair meelectronic m31 IEM, but my ear-canal is oddly shaped and it doesn't fit very well, so I'll use it only when my portable on-ear meelectronic ht-21 isn't appropriate. 

but I want a new pair of around the near (cover the whole ear), comfortable, high quality headphones to replace my HD202, which still sounds nice. I'm no audiophile or "analytical" in my listening preferences.

anyways, I want to keep it under $100: here are my choices:

Shure SRH440
AKG Acoustic K-240
KRK KNS6400
SONY MDR-V6
Sennheiser HD-280

I want something with high clarity. Bass is not important to me. Would like a big sound stage. But over all, comfort is hugely important. I wear glasses and HD202's clamps on it and is not comfortable after long use. though, I don't think its the most comfortable headphones with non-glass wearers either.

my music selection is mostly indie, alternative, pop rock, some classical and blues as well. 

anyways, at this point, I'm learning toward the KRK and Shure, but the other choices are great too. I've looked at the Grado and Alessandro but have heard not so great reviews on the comfort, which is very important to me.

if there are any other good possibilities, I'm all ears :)

Criteria Importance:
Comfort
Mid - High range clarity
Durability
Big Sound Stage
Bass
Isolation

Thanks, cheers

Dec 9, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #9,969 of 29,490
Hello Everyone. I posted a thread earlier, and ever posted in here. =D

Just wanting to get more opinions before I actually buy. They say that the CAL [ Creative Aurvana Live ] is a good Headphone to own, for around $100.

Planning on doing all sorts of music, gaming, movies and the sort.

Dec 9, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #9,970 of 29,490
Hello all.
Just wanted a quick advice (or more; "I just want to have people say that the headphones I've already settled on are good enough" ...though I will change if the experts say no=P )

So yeah, I don't have a lot of experience with midrange headphones. Own some Sennheiser 555 (my first envoy to the better), and I find those to be quite... well, they sound like listening to music through a wall (though they were a great improvement over my previous headphones at the time).
After that, I got myself some Audio-Technica ATH-A900, and I must admit that I love them.
The issue is, however, that after years of rigorous use, my trusty A900 have finally met its demise (A very prolonged demise, I must say. Most of the headphone is covered in electrical-tape, with bits and pieces of cardboard and plastic for support).
So, for Christmas, I've decided to treat myself to some new headphones (or, have friends and family treat me with a headphone of my choosing).

Currently, my headphone uses consist of, but not limited to;
Classical Music (Mostly heavier pieces; Rachmaninov, Rimsky-Korsakov, Sibelius, Tchaikovsky, + more vocal pieces like Messa da Requiem)
Rock/Pop (mostly pre-80s)
Metal (mostly of the more melodic sort, Opeth and the likes)
Movies
Computer Gaming (Doesn't take up as much time as it used to, but I still enjoy playing, sometimes hours on end. mostly first person, so the soundstage is important)

I've been lurking through the forums some, and found that the best choice for me would probably be a Fischer Audio FA-003, or FA-002w
I have also considered the FA-011 and Shure SRH840 (But for the FA-011 I'm worried about my music-collection that is mostly not remastered, the high highs got me scared. Any input appreciated. For the Shure, well it just seems to have gotten a lot less attention, and I've seen a lot of reports about it being uncomfortable, and I value comfort highly).

I've set my max to about 250 USD, included shipping to Europe (so more like 220 USD)

Any input or recommendations will be welcome, though I've halfway set on either the FA-003 or FA-002w

Dec 9, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #9,971 of 29,490
Hello Head-Fi community!
I'm new to the headphone market (always been a HiFi person myself), so I would like to make sure my first foray is a good one.
I'm looking for some closed-cup headphones suitable for travel, they'd mostly be plugged in to a netbook and/or similar devices, and I'd also end up using them for Piano(Keyboard) sessions at night.
My listening type varies so hugely that I couldn't list any specifics for you here. Although I am somewhat partial to bass and more importantly, string instruments and vocals (so yeah, pretty much cover all ranges there why don't I?)
I'd like to spend roughly 100-200GBP on the headphones, although I'd go higher if there is a census that it's really worth it (but for headphones that'll be abused a lot, it probably isn't).
I've lurked all over these forums taking all your preferences and commendations in to consideration and emerged that the DT770 and ATH M50 seem to be good buys, would I be right in assuming this?
I noticed they both have relatively high power draws though, so would they be pretty useless given the hardware I'd be using them with?
I don't mind buying a portable amp for the headphones if it'll really help either of the above models (would one help?).
Of course, I'm fully aware the best course of action is to simply listen to some Headphones, but where I am it's difficult to find anywhere that allows Demos of headphones (due to hygiene apparently), in fact the only place that did demos nearby was HMV (a music store chain), but, I imagine to the horror of all here, the best they offered were Beats by Dr Dre and Bose(AE2s).
Anyway, to stop this post becoming too lengthy, are the first 2 mentioned Headphones good buys, and/or are there any other recommendations anyone here would make?
Thanks in advance!
Brian.

Dec 9, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #9,972 of 29,490
I have tried out the E7 with my HD595 and it sounds awful compared to a desktop amp IMO.  Not saying it sounds bad, but the E7 is really underpowered.  Properly amped, the HD595/598 is on a different level form non/underamped.

Quote:
I regularly use mine without an amp from my iPhone and TV and can say they sound good, better with the E7 though. So yes, amping them isn't essential. I'm sure others can give you a much better description of the improvements than I can.

Dec 9, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #9,973 of 29,490
I have the Denon AHD-1100 myself.  They don't need much amping and have stupid amounts of bass.  The great thing IMO is that they aren't muddy like the Sony XB series.  You can find them online for $120 USD, but seeing as you're in the UK I can't exactly be of much help...

Quote:
Hi everyone, 

Dec 9, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #9,974 of 29,490
Dec 9, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #9,975 of 29,490
Looking to upgrade my ATH-M50s, would like something open rather than closed, I generally listen to dnb, electronica, trance, dubstep but I'm not really limited to any sort of genre. Overall what I liked about my M50s is that I could listen to most things quite well. But I think I should go slightly more specialized rather than neutral.

No more than £200 please

Users who are viewing this thread

Back