++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 3, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #9,811 of 29,490

Quote:
So I heard the Beats Pro by Dre at a BrandsMart USA, and at the time, thought they sounded much better then anything I've ever heard. I've only been using cheap headphones all this time, but NOW, I'm looking to become an Audiophile and get some really good Headphones. I know everyone hear says the Beats Pros are overpriced and doesn't really have great sound quality. But I did like the Bass on them a lot.

I've been listening to a lot of Dubstep, Hardstyle, DnB, and other Electronica genres lately. And I would like a really good headphone that will deliver good bass, midrange, and treble.

Some headphones that caught my attention while browsing this site, that would have bass similar to, if not better then the Beats Pro, were the Denon 2000/5000 and Ultrasone HFI-580 and Pro 900s. But everyone seems to say that they have recessed mids, and or needs to be modified to get a good sound from them. I'm not really looking forward to really have to deal with any problems like that, that I may not be aware of. If only I could hear them myself perhaps.

So what I'm for is:
1) Sound Quality - (Needs good frequency response with good controlled Bass for any Electronica style music)
2) Should also sound good with other styles of music like Metal if possible as I'll probable be using these for everything. (Good Sound stage??)
3) Comfort - (Should be able to wear them for hours at a time)
4) Low Noise Leakage
5) Should be efficient enough to run from a iPhone 4 without a AMP like the Pro Beats were. Or if NOT... please recommend a amp to run it with.
6) Don't have any budget. But would like to keep it no more then $500 for my first good set of headphones.

Speaking of #5 there... would a Fiio E5 be enough power for more headphone options?

Also would I need a amp for my PC also? It's got RealTek ALC892 Audio at the moment

If you can provide links on where to buy for cheapest price. Please include them. I live in the US. Amazon.com is the only place I really know of.

Okay, since my original post. I've just been finding more and more headphones and getting more and more confused on which one will be the best one for me to get. As i said, I will be listening to a lot of bass heavy electronica musical genres with this headphones. But would also like something that is a good all rounder for other genres of music.

Headphones that are on my list that have sparked some interest to me are:
Sorted by order I've looked them up in.
1) Denon 2000
2) Denon 5000
3) Ultrasone Pro 900
4) Ultrasone HFI-580
5) Beyerdynamic DT 990
6) AKG K701
7) Beyerdynamic DT 770
8) Beyerdynamic DT 880
9) Ultrasone HFI-780
10) Audio Techinica ath-m50
11) Sony MDR-XB1000

I think that's all of them. Maybe there are some others I should look up also that I'm missing?

Anyways, as you can see... my list is getting bigger and bigger the more I browse this website. I only looked up the Beyerdynamics since yesterday, and everything afterwards. I must say tho, that a lot of what I read about the Beyerdynamics did interest me a lot, besides the fact they having overly high treble.

I'll repost my list here of what I'm looking for:
1) Sound Quality - (Nice tight & controlled Bass, with good and balanced mids, and highs, or slightly recessed, but good mids)
2) Should be a good all-rounder as I'll be using them for everything.
3) Comfort - (Should be able to wear them for hours at a time)
4) Low Noise Leakage preferred, but would prefer best clarity also.
5) Should be efficient enough to run without a AMP. 32 Ohms or Less. If not, what amp to use with them?
6) No budget. But would like to keep it no more then $500 for my first good set of headphones.
7) Should be durable enough to last a long time. Metal > Plastic
8) Should also be able to play this sample without flubbing, tight, controlled, and clear.

Feel free to recommend something even if it's not on my list.

Also should I be aiming to run 32 Ohms or less? I hear most portable amps like E7 can't power 250 Ohms that well? And I noticed the specs say 1W at 32 Ohms, and 18 mW at 300 Ohms. Looks like output power drops rapidly as Ohms increase.

Dec 3, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #9,812 of 29,490

Quote:

Are you under the illusion that this hobby is cheap?  
tongue.gif
 Nope, the best thing you can do is buy something quickly within budget, then run very far away from this place. Your wallet will thank you.

Haha in no way am I under that illusion.  I'm used to expensive hobbies, usually falling through, but this one's different!
I'd love to get the HF-2's but the ones I seem to be finding are waaaay out of my budget
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 3, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #9,813 of 29,490
hi guys, 

you all gave me great advice about 3 years ago when i bought ultrasone 780's, but they went bust and ultrasone wont give me any idea of the cost to repair them. (sudden loss of all audio in the right channel, checked internal connections, jiggled all cables, no noise at all) 

so now im looking for a replacement. ive been listening to a lot of monitor audio speakers (yamaha HS80 and makie 852 were favourites, KRK and yamaha MSP5/7's least favourite)  and muchly prefer them to HI-FI. i like how flat and detailed they sound, so now im after some flat detailed headphones.
i have an ibasso D10 amp, which i use all the time. 
the top of my budget is set at £300. 
portability isnt a problem, they wont be leaving the house. 

Dec 3, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #9,814 of 29,490
All right, TL;DR skills activate.
I'd like bassy headphones without sacrifice of treble and mids. It should be comfortable on my head and around my neck. I listen to a bit of every genre, but emphasize mostly in Techno. (I know it's not a genre, just songs with a techno beat and/or feel.)
Should be around ~$60 price range, very bumpable to $70, $80 should be avoided unless it's the only choice, not above $80.
IEMs isn't really an option for me because my right ear is shaped wierdly, and I just don't like them. 
I've taken the Koss DJ Pro 100s and Sennheisers HD 448s into consideration, and they both seem like very good candidates, but I'd like to have a decision from someone more knowledgeable.

Dec 3, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #9,815 of 29,490
Hi guys my friend told me to ask here to get recommendations for heaphones for me and my brother.

We both do pretty much everything on our computers - Movies, Music, games  and a little bit of casual music production.

+I currently use Steelseries Sibera but they're super uncomfortable.

+Willing to spend up to £160 

+I've come across:

[size=1.8333em] [size=0.9166em]AudioTechnica ATH-M50[/size][/size]

[size=1.7em] Audio-Technica ATH AD700[/size]

just watched a review on the ATH m50 while watching this and he said the sound stage isnt good for gaming? can someone explain this to me?

Thanks

Dec 3, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #9,816 of 29,490
Hey Head-Fi community! Was browsing around for some good suggestions for headphones and I stumbled upon this site. This community seems to excel at providing in-depth and excellent recommendations for headphones so I'll give it a whirl! Thanks in advance.

My price range is from 50-220$ USD. The kinds of music that I listen to are VERY diverse. I highly enjoy D&B, House, and Mainstream Music (De Rulo, Taio Cruz, Adele, etc.) but also enjoy mainstream Hip-hop & Rap (Kudi, Wiz, Lupe Fiasco). Comfort and aesthetics are very important as well as crystal clear sound. Also would prefer if it was portable as I'll be carrying it around alot.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I was going to get Beats since they look fantastic and are very popular but it seems that around these forums they are not highly regarded in a good manner so I decided against it.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions. Preferably, can you ensure that I can buy it off popular stores such as Future Shop, Best Buy, Radio Shack, etc. because I don't have a credit card and can only deal with cash atm. 

Thanks again everyone.

Regards,

Simon.

Saw V-Moda in Radio Shack just last week.

Dec 3, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #9,821 of 29,490
Hey guys. I've been using Sennheiser HD555s for about two years now and they've done a very fine job, but the right ear cup has cracked and is only being held on by tape, so it's time to get some new ones. 

I'm willing to spend up to £130 and was originally going to go for HD595s (familiarity and all that) but I thought it'd be a better idea if I just came and asked you people what I should get. I'll be using them for everything - music, movies, TV and gaming. I tend to listen to a lot of metal, progressive rock and dubstep.

Any input is appreciated!

Dec 3, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #9,822 of 29,490
Okay, so I've been happy for quite some time with my portable setup of the AT ES7 phones and iBasso T3 amp.  But I've been itching to improve my sound, and with an initial budget of $400, I scraped together an additional $50 and purchased the DT 770's and iBasso D6 DAC/AMP.  I haven't received the amp yet, but I've been using the Beyer's with my T3 in the meantime.  I knew going in that the 770's were somewhat bassy, but since I do like a somewhat bassy and warmer sound,  I thought they would be perfect.  But unfortunately, these are just too bassy for me.  I'm guessing that the D6 amp may help tighten up the sound a little, but I doubt it will take these cans as far as I need them to go.  I never really understood what people meant by "recessed mids", but now I completely understand, and that's something I just can't live with.  When I compared the ES7 and the 770's with the T3, I found that the ES7's were a bit too bright for me, but I really enjoyed the detail, especially the more forward sounding vocals.  The 770's were nice, just too muddy and not enough detail (and vocal presence).  So...

I have the option of returning these cans and replacing them immediately with the Denon 1100, or sitting tight for a month until I can get the D2000.  I need closed cans (not portable, I need them for isolation) - and from all the research I've done, the Denon's seem like the only options for me.  I don't like an overly bright sound, but I do like detail.  And I enjoy deep bass...tight and punchy...not where it becomes overpowering (somewhat boomy / muddy like I'm experiencing with the 770's).  Any thoughts on this?  I'm just curious what others might do in this predicament.  Thanks.

Dec 4, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #9,823 of 29,490
The cracking is purely cosmetic.  It doesn't change the actual working of it at all.  It really isn't much of an issue, but I wish Sennheiser would fix it.

Quote:
HF-2 could be found used...
Seem pricey =S

I was considering those, but at the same time I read on a thread here about cracking issues.  I'm tough enough on these, all I had to do was super glue the rod back on.

Dec 4, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #9,824 of 29,490
I'm looking for the most clear & detailed headphones under $300, but I hear the 250ohm Beyer DT880's can be sibilant and I don't have the budget for an amp/dac that can make the 600ohm version sing. So, with that being said, are there any other options that would play nice with a FiiO E10?

Dec 4, 2011 at 2:36 AM Post #9,825 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm looking for the most clear & detailed headphones under $300, but I hear the 250ohm Beyer DT880's can be sibilant and I don't have the budget for an amp/dac that can make the 600ohm version sing. So, with that being said, are there any other options that would play nice with a FiiO E10?

Well I had the DT880 Pro 250ohm - and they weren't sibilant for me.  I originally had them with a Fiio E7/E9 combo - also with a Fiio E11.  The E11 (similar amp to the E10 I think) drove them OK for loudness with plenty of room to spare.

Honestly with the E10 - I'd go with the HD600 or the DT880 250ohm.  then when you can afford it, get a better dac+amp.  My pref would be the HD600 - it scales really well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back