++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 29, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #9,616 of 29,490
There are sale forums here, or on audiogon, or ebay, or maybe local classifieds, etc. Unfortunately it can be tricky to judge condition of used items without seeing them in person; usually I ask for pictures and closeups of the pads. 

Nov 29, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #9,617 of 29,490

Quote:

The Sony V6 is a solid all-round performer. Isolation is decent, comfort is decent (though it does sit on the ear, which can cause slight discomfort with glasses). I say also consider the Senn PX200-ii, which is super small and portable, with similar sound and isolation.

Check out any local music stores to see what headphones they have available to try out. You should have some Futureshops and BestBuys nearby too. 

Well... reading your post I thought THAT is an answer!  :)

Tried Futureshop but they didn't have a lot to try. And they are pushing hard Marley's headphones.
Many thanks for the answer :)

Nov 29, 2011 at 4:52 AM Post #9,618 of 29,490

Quote:
Here is a comparison I wrote about those two headphones (among others).  There is a picture too so you can see the size- they're both pretty big.  The SRH840 do very well without an amp, but do improve with one.

Just read it all :) thanks.
A question arises, how is the Treble compared to DT 770? I think about how "sharp" it is. I really like that the DT770 are so distinct. You can call me a treble addicted:)
And how much bass is there compered to DT 770?

Nov 29, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #9,620 of 29,490

Quote:
hi,

im wondering if i should take beats studio or srh940?
as both are the same price at amazon.co.uk...

hopefully someones can gives me some advices

Firstly Welcome to Head-fi
Sorry about your wallet
regular_smile%20.gif

Well i havent heard th shure srh 940 but i hear nothing but praises about shures circumaural headphones here on Head-fi (i have some srh 440 on order) but i have heard the beats studio and imo they are a complete scam you can get sq in a different league on £50 cans all you are paying for is the look!!!

I vote for the Shure's 
beyersmile.png

Nov 29, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #9,621 of 29,490

Quote:
A question arises, how is the Treble compared to DT 770? I think about how "sharp" it is. I really like that the DT770 are so distinct. You can call me a treble addicted:)

Treble on the DT770-80 is quite strong- cymbals are particularly loud, especially the upper 'sizzle' and it made music tiring and a little painful listening to anything above moderate volume.  But treble is one thing that SRH840 slightly lack.  The SRH940 have much stronger treble, but are softer on the bass.  So those might work better for you if you're not a basshead.  SRH940 also have way more soundstage than the SRH840, almost as big as DT770.

Nov 29, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #9,622 of 29,490
Hi to you all :]

Trying to decide which cans would be mine after these breaking down / worn HD 555's. Would be needing some help to make up my mind and get some valid points to make the best decision. I use these via Denon AVR-2307 with my integrated PC sound card.

Usage: 1. Movies 2. Music (dnb, dubstep, light metal, pop) 3. Games (in that order)
Price: under $300 (250€, as I live in Finland)
Value: Soundstage, durable, comfort (use several hours a day)
Not important: portable, closed / antinoise, make

Quite hard to pick one as there is no places to go to listen my top 3 (in paper) cans in here.

1. Ultrasone HFI 2400 (sounds quite perfect for me but does it really need amp/dac?)
2. AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-AD900 (not enough bass for me maybe?)
3. HiFiMAN HE-300 (hear these would be nice pair too, but can't find these anywhere to buy at my pricepoint)

Conclusion: open, full-size, under $300, no need for amp/dac, nice soundstage, comfy, durable & good quality.

Nov 29, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #9,623 of 29,490
Hi,

I was about to start a thread on my questions, but saw this thread so wanted to give it a shot to see if I can get an answer without starting a new thread. I just joined the forum and am very new to nice headphones. I read up on forum pages for a few hours last night, but was hoping I could give my situation and seek recommendations from those more knowledgeable than me.

The purpose of the headphones is to be able to watch my blu-rays and play my PS3 at night without disturbing my wife and son as they sleep. My current audio setup is a Pioneer 1018 a/v receiver, with a 5.1 Energy C-300 surround setup. I first tried to buy the new Playstation official headset, but found it was interfering with my controller, so had to return it. I don't really care whether the headphone is wireless or not and I sit about 9-10 feet away from the receiver. As far as the gaming goes, I am more interested in the feeling of immersion in games such as Call of Duty and Uncharted with good bass for the explosions than I am with hearing pinpoint directionality of footsteps (don't play too much multiplayer). Though, I'm not someone who would want a headphone that is just a bass blaster (and any that are less damaging to the ears would be a plus), just one that would deliver solid bass. As far as priorities, if I had to choose, I'd prefer the headphones excel in movies and be good with games rather than vice versa.

A few more notes - as much as I know it won't compare to a true surround system, I would only be interested in headphones that could deliver virtual surround sound. Still unsure if the Dolby Headphone I've read about is an add on product to headphones or if it is incorporated in them. Good surround sound would be a major plus for me. Another thing I read about is having an "amp" added onto your headphones. Since I'll be hooking this up to my a/v receiver will this be necessary? I'd like to avoid having to buy anything that isn't necessary. Which brings me to my budget, I would have a hard time spending more than $200 on these headphones (and would prefer to stay closer to $100) since they are my first real headphones and I'm really not sure I would be able to appreciate the nuances the higher level options would deliver. Since I'll be watching movies, head comfort would also be a very important factor.

I hope I have covered enough details that you will be able to offer me some suggestions. I'd like to jump on a holiday deal ASAP (any good ones, please let me know).  Some of the ones I've looked into so far (based on reading) are Sennheiser products and Audio Technica AD700. Please help me decide!
smile.gif

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Nov 29, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #9,624 of 29,490

Quote:

Treble on the DT770-80 is quite strong- cymbals are particularly loud, especially the upper 'sizzle' and it made music tiring and a little painful listening to anything above moderate volume.  But treble is one thing that SRH840 slightly lack.  The SRH940 have much stronger treble, but are softer on the bass.  So those might work better for you if you're not a basshead.  SRH940 also have way more soundstage than the SRH840, almost as big as DT770.

I will give the DT770-80 a thorough listening tonight again to decide if the treble is too much for me.
I would not say that I am a basshead as in I want a lot of bass and thats it. The Denon AH-D1100 had too much bass for my taste and too little definition in the treble, and just a general lack of treble. But I do like bass, and it needs to be there. I have tried the Denon AH-A100 and they did not have enough bass. It just wasnt there enough.
This is a dilemma for me as I love bass and treble. But I will go have a listen at the Shure SRH840 at the beginning of next week, only my ears can judge it :)

Nov 29, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #9,625 of 29,490

Quote:

Perhaps some of this will give insight:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

Quote:
hi,

im wondering if i should take beats studio or srh940?
as both are the same price at amazon.co.uk...

hopefully someones can gives me some advices

I say go for the 840 if you want more bass.

Quote:
Hi to you all :]

Trying to decide which cans would be mine after these breaking down / worn HD 555's. Would be needing some help to make up my mind and get some valid points to make the best decision. I use these via Denon AVR-2307 with my integrated PC sound card.

Usage: 1. Movies 2. Music (dnb, dubstep, light metal, pop) 3. Games (in that order)
Price: under $300 (250€, as I live in Finland)
Value: Soundstage, durable, comfort (use several hours a day)
Not important: portable, closed / antinoise, make

Quite hard to pick one as there is no places to go to listen my top 3 (in paper) cans in here.

1. Ultrasone HFI 2400 (sounds quite perfect for me but does it really need amp/dac?)
2. AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-AD900 (not enough bass for me maybe?)
3. HiFiMAN HE-300 (hear these would be nice pair too, but can't find these anywhere to buy at my pricepoint)

Conclusion: open, full-size, under $300, no need for amp/dac, nice soundstage, comfy, durable & good quality.

My vote goes to the AD900.

Quote:
Hi,

I was about to start a thread on my questions, but saw this thread so wanted to give it a shot to see if I can get an answer without starting a new thread. I just joined the forum and am very new to nice headphones. I read up on forum pages for a few hours last night, but was hoping I could give my situation and seek recommendations from those more knowledgeable than me.

The purpose of the headphones is to be able to watch my blu-rays and play my PS3 at night without disturbing my wife and son as they sleep. My current audio setup is a Pioneer 1018 a/v receiver, with a 5.1 Energy C-300 surround setup. I first tried to buy the new Playstation official headset, but found it was interfering with my controller, so had to return it. I don't really care whether the headphone is wireless or not and I sit about 9-10 feet away from the receiver. As far as the gaming goes, I am more interested in the feeling of immersion in games such as Call of Duty and Uncharted with good bass for the explosions than I am with hearing pinpoint directionality of footsteps (don't play too much multiplayer). Though, I'm not someone who would want a headphone that is just a bass blaster (and any that are less damaging to the ears would be a plus), just one that would deliver solid bass. As far as priorities, if I had to choose, I'd prefer the headphones excel in movies and be good with games rather than vice versa.

A few more notes - as much as I know it won't compare to a true surround system, I would only be interested in headphones that could deliver virtual surround sound. Still unsure if the Dolby Headphone I've read about is an add on product to headphones or if it is incorporated in them. Good surround sound would be a major plus for me. Another thing I read about is having an "amp" added onto your headphones. Since I'll be hooking this up to my a/v receiver will this be necessary? I'd like to avoid having to buy anything that isn't necessary. Which brings me to my budget, I would have a hard time spending more than $200 on these headphones (and would prefer to stay closer to $100) since they are my first real headphones and I'm really not sure I would be able to appreciate the nuances the higher level options would deliver. Since I'll be watching movies, head comfort would also be a very important factor.

I hope I have covered enough details that you will be able to offer me some suggestions. I'd like to jump on a holiday deal ASAP (any good ones, please let me know).  Some of the ones I've looked into so far (based on reading) are Sennheiser products and Audio Technica AD700. Please help me decide!
smile.gif

Thanks in advance for any responses!

The AD700 is fully open and not suitable if you're trying to not disturb your family. 

I would suggest something along the lines of an Ultrasone HFi780/Pro750. Solid bass, good isolation, good immersion. 

Nov 29, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #9,626 of 29,490
Nov 29, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #9,627 of 29,490
Quote:
Sennheiser HD-558, 50-Ohm, open headphones.
Personally i would not try to buy anything name brand in Hong Kong.

Quote:
Shure 840 or Audio Technica M50

If you're buying name brand stuff in HK and the prices seem too good to be true, it probably is. Counterfeit stuff is rampant there. 

Thanks for the advice. I'm stuck between the Sennheiser and Audio Technica M50. If extended my budget to £150 (approximately US $230), probably for next year, is there any other ones worth noting?

Nov 29, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #9,628 of 29,490

Quote:
So.....I'm heavily leaning towards the Denon AHD2000's but Amazon sold out, and even so, I don't wanna spend $350 for a pair of headphones when I read other people on here have gotten them in the $200-$300 range. Anyone know where I can get them in that price range?

Call J&R ask them the price for the AHD2000 they will tell you $250, ask the Sales Rep if they can sell for $199 as you seen others get it for that price. Depending on the sales rep he/she will sell you it for $199. Depending on how much you want to fight, you can get it that low. The sales rep I got said $229 for me but I wanted to wait on it so I didn't really ask for lower. They are currently backordered and the rep I got said they were receiving a shipment soon. Was gonna pick up the AHD2000 but I decided on the HE-300 based on not wanting to wait and I really enjoyed Hifiman's IEMs. 

http://www.jr.com/

Nov 29, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #9,629 of 29,490
hello, i need a quick help to get a headphone for
christmas, here in Brazil a good headphone (that
costs 100 $ in USA, here it costs around 600
dollars) So I need a recommendation of a good
headphone to private listening, but also good for
bass. (my hobby is dubstep music producing).
I plan to spend 100~ 150 USD headphone (price in
USA)
but it needs to have good isolation, i was thinking
about a Sennheiser hd555 or a good bass sony
headphone, what do you think?
thanks very much

Nov 29, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #9,630 of 29,490

Thanks man, sounds great. I will definitely try that. If they dont seem to be getting them in, are the AHD1100's just about as good if my price point is in the low $200's?

EDIT: Also, how long ago did you contact JR about the headphones? The status on the website says they're ordered, but was just wondering how long ago your information is from
Quote:
Call J&R ask them the price for the AHD2000 they will tell you $250, ask the Sales Rep if they can sell for $199 as you seen others get it for that price. Depending on the sales rep he/she will sell you it for $199. Depending on how much you want to fight, you can get it that low. The sales rep I got said $229 for me but I wanted to wait on it so I didn't really ask for lower. They are currently backordered and the rep I got said they were receiving a shipment soon. Was gonna pick up the AHD2000 but I decided on the HE-300 based on wanting to wait and I really enjoyed Hifiman's IEMs. 

http://www.jr.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back