++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 28, 2011 at 4:28 AM Post #9,571 of 29,490
I was forced (more or less) to give up on getting a pair of Superlux HD 668B.

Right now i'm looking at a pair of Sennheiser HD 449
It's top contenders are prolly Beyerdynamic DT 235 and maybe Grado SR60i (these are p pricey where i'm from compared to normal costs though plus i keep hearing they're a bit bright and i don't listen only to rock)

All this provided i can't get a hold of Creative Aurvana Live though

Nov 28, 2011 at 4:33 AM Post #9,572 of 29,490
Portability isn't a priority, do you have any recommendations? I have been looking at DAC/AMPs but I'm not really sure what im looking. I did look at the Matrix Mini-I [as MalVeauX recommended the Matrix cube] I also looked at the NuForce ones but the prices start to creep past my self imposed budget:)

Like I said I'm 99% sure I'm going for HD650's so I want an amp/dac to suit them. HD650 =£300ish so an amp/dac needs to be around the £200 mark

Cheers for your help.

Quote:

It's a good combo, though if you don't need the portablity of the e7 then perhaps consider just a home dac/amp solution.

Nov 28, 2011 at 7:23 AM Post #9,573 of 29,490
Hi everyone.

I am about to get my first pair of quality headphones.
At the moment I have some in-ear from Phonak, the PFE-122.
I am from Denmark (europe).
My budget is some where around 200 euros, maybe more if they are worth it.
I have been looking at:
Denon AH-D2000, AH-D1100
Ultrasone HFI780, HFI680, Pro550
Beyerdynamics DT 770

I need a headset thats closed since it shouldnt leak to much, I use in public places and schools eg.
My music genre is most metal, rock, classical, indie and just about everything.
What I seek in a headset is a good detailing in the trebles so you can hear all the fine details and such, and a good firm bass. It should be able to hande some bass as that is also  what I like.
I dont have an amp and will primarily use it with my iPod and PC.
Can anyone shed a light on this and help me what to get? You can recommend other headphones too if they are more suitable than those I have found.

ps. I have a kinda big head. When buying hats I go for around 62 cm.

Nov 28, 2011 at 9:37 AM Post #9,574 of 29,490

Quote:
a couple to look into:
Senn HD598
Beyer DT880/990 (likes amping, but maybe worth a try anyways)

The Senn HD598 look quite nice, but I'm a bit wary to buy something that's an open back headphone, having never owned one before and I think I'd be mainly using them in public places (libraries, classrooms, etc). Also, I'm not a huge fan of people hearing what I'm listening to haha; I'm just wary of that I guess.

I'm a bit confused on the Beyer's though. When I looked them up on Amazon, there seemed to be multiple versions.

And I guess for my own benefit of responding later on, I'll restate what I'm looking for below in this post.

I'm planning on eventually upgrading from my ATH-m50S to something, well "better" or higher-end I suppose. I don't really know my needs or what I'm looking for at this point, as I'm still very new to the audiophile world. I've heard things about V-Moda Crossfade M80s that have intrigued me, but I don't know if that's what would best satisfy me.

The genres of music I listen to vary from rock (U2, The Rolling Stones, R.E.M), pop (M.J, Lady Gaga), hip-hop, R&B, Rap, techno, electronica, etc. Anyways, you guys get the point :)  

I would mostly be using these with my iPod Classic or my laptop + a SoundBlaster Wireless USB sound card thing I have.. I know, not an optimal rig for music-listening... 

I'd prefer something that has relatively decent isolation/ (is closed?). Comfort is a huge plus, looks aren't a big concern but always a bonus, build quality is a concern of mine, but most importantly, is sound quality. I don't have any amps or other equipment to power whatever headphones that may be suggested, so I guess something that would sound good without an amp. Many thanks in advance!

Edit: Oh yeah, and as for budget... I don't really know when I'm going to buy these at the moment, so I guess that allows some time to save up. I would prefer something around ~200 ish, but I'm willing to spend up to ~$300.

Nov 28, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #9,575 of 29,490

[size=1.7em] The Audio-Technica ATH W1000x have just popped up on my radar [saw them for £379] are these worth considering? [/size]

After having talked myself into the HD 650's I'm now convinced I need to spend ridiculous amounts on an amp:) [So I'm currently weighing up better headphones/cheaper amp or vice-versa options] whilst looking for amps I came across the W1000x's they look real purdy! Having done some quick research they could be what i'm looking for except they are closed back.

Decisions decisions decisions... is it always going to be like this :)

Sigh... back to work

Nov 28, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #9,576 of 29,490
I have been looking fo good open back headphones with good bass and are good for video gaming (not the top priority, but I will definitly be using them for it) and have been contemplating the Ultrasone HFI 2400 and I was told that I should just get the ATH A700 and save myself $150. Is this true?

Nov 28, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #9,577 of 29,490
I've been looking for new headphones for somewhere around $200, maybe up to $250. I mostly listen to Metal and Electro stuff, and my HD555s are a little lacking in bass for me. Unfortunately, I need something that can be driven well by the FiiO E7, so I don't know how that will affect my options.

Thanks,
Hens

Nov 28, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #9,578 of 29,490
I'm looking for a headphone recommendation for less than $300.  Right now I own the fischer audio fa-011 and love everything about it but for the emphasis on extreme highs, which I find harsh.  I'd like to find something that is a little more forgiving in the highs.  My current setup is HRT MSII --> homemade full tube amp --> headphones.  I'm open to both open and closed and my budget is around $300.  Thanks for any help you can give.  

Nov 28, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #9,579 of 29,490
Well, my turn, I guess...

Hi to everyone.

After lurking here for months, looking for in ear headphones (and bought the MEELlectronics M9P), I now want an over the ear headphone, as my in ear shows some limitations: the mic is not very well located, so when I walk or move on my seat it is sometimes in contact with my shirt so the ear stuff pops out of my ear, and with the heat of the crowd they both pops up of my ears.
When I say the heat and the crowd, it's because I'm now travelling using the bus and the metro.
So I'm looking for something light, portable, over the ear to block the surrounding noise. less than 100CDN$.
I'm listening to rock (Noir Désir (a french band), (have discovered a couple of weeks ago) The Kills and love their dirty guitar, some 80's metal or metal prog (Mekong Delta), Hard Rock (Scorpions, early Judas Priest), Techno Hard Style, some Goa, Trance, Classical (Wagner), Minimalist (Philip Glass, John Adams...), British Big Beat (Propellerheads, Chemical Brothers, Prodigy...), love Portishead, and some pop.
I'm mainly listening that on my Nexus One cell phone, and the last version of Android has now an equalizer, don't know if this helps... 
The headphone will be used, too, to listen movies on my (very regular) PC, when the whole house is sleeping and doesn't want to hear some strange sci-fi sounds :wink:

I had identified first the Sony MDR-v6, but thanks to that amazing 2011 guide (very well done BTW), I'm not so sure, now :wink:.
The SRH440 looks too heavy (I'm suffering from frequent headaches and try to stay light there), the CAL's looks good but isolation could be a problem (I REALLY don't want to hear that bass noise of metro, crowd, talks and so on), and the Grado sr60i (or sr80i) ... confort could be an issue (according to this... no more than one hour of wear... http://www.head-fi.org/products/grado-prestige-series-sr60i-headphones/reviews/5544)
Oh ! Because I'm wearing glasses, too. :frowning2:
I had the opportunity to try the Sennheiser-addidas (HD-220) last week with my Nexus One. Good isolation (could not hear the surronding conversation in a store during the black friday), but just hate the colors :frowning2:

So it seems I had to stay with the Sony MDR-v6. My questions are :
1- did I miss a headphone somewhere?
2- how is the noise isolation of this Sony MRD?
3- how is the confort, for let's say 3-4 hours, with glasses (for information, my hat is a 7 1/4). A movie is around 2hours, my metro travel around one hour, so I just put a "security".
4- If you are in Montreal, do you know where I could try some headphones.

Sorry for that long post.

Thank you in advance for the answers!

Nov 28, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #9,580 of 29,490
Alright, so another pair of generic apple earbuds have come and gone, and again I've started researching headphones. I'd like to keep it around 20-50 bucks. I haven't used anything but apple earbuds for years (and nothing better than them even before), and despite all the pages of reviews I've been reading the final decision feels like a bit of a coinflip. I'm looking at the Samsung SR-850, Superlux HD668b, Sennheiser PX100, Koss Porta Pros, and Creative Aurvana (on sale for cyber monday for 50 bucks shipped) though anything suggested here will be looked at for sure.

I plan on playing mostly through my ipod, a little through my computer, and provided it works, perhaps through my guitar amp. I don't have any sort of headphone amp. I know very little about headphones really, but I saw people saying that the superlux and the sr850 were really similar, though they differed in Ohm rating. Will a difference of about 20ohms make a difference when played through a lone ipod? I currently slightly prefer the superlux simply because of the cord style (hopefully would disconnect rather than break when pulled accidentally, as well as the two sizes provided). If I get one of the bigger headphones, I'll probably put something like KSC75s on my Christmas wishlist for an easy gift so I have something more portable around too.

My primary goal is good sound and how to maximize that given my situation. Unfortunately I've bought a few cds worth of music recently(ish) via itunes. Will this matter at all given my budget? They aren't lossless, nor is most of my other stuff. Back to cds and time to try lossless (plenty of room on my ipod, though most of my cds are probably buried somewhere getting all scratched up, hope I can rerip them), but it'd be nice to know if some of my favorites will sound bad (Elliott Smith, Modest Mouse, Andy McKee, Brand New, Underoath- a wide variety of genres, though less often do I listen to heavier music),

Thanks for any help guys.

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #9,581 of 29,490
Like so many others on this thread, after a few weeks (maybe months?) of lurking, I'm finally officially in the hunt for a good set of full-size headphones.  Even though my setup (primarily through an iPod) is rather pedestrian compared to what I see around these forums, I still appreciate the phenomenal sound that can come from really good headphones and/or speakers; the question is how to do that with an iPod and without a few thousand dollars to throw at amps and high-end cans.

The other struggle I'm having is that I have little to no experience with truly good headphones.  The closest I've come is a pair of Monster Cable Solo Beats (though I imagine calling those "good" is tantamount to sacrilege around here).  As of right now, I listen primarily through my laptop/iPod with a pair of crappy $3 ebay in-ear headphones.  I received a pair of Skullcandy ones from a friend a few months ago ("Agent" style) but they promptly broke and weren't really that good to begin with anyway.  So that's my basically non-existent "background experience" when it comes to headphones.  

While I can't really imagine genres making a huge difference between models (Music is music after all, and classical can have as much in the low end as dance or other bass-heavy genres), I listen to primarily rock, classical (cello and string bass), and instrumental-heavy popular tracks, as well as a capella (which if you don't know is entirely vocal music).  I guess there is an emphasis on the lower end of the spectrum in the particular tracks I like, particularly in the classical and a capella music.  From what I have gleaned from my listening habits and the many reviews here, the sound quality is more important to me than having a hugely expansive soundstage.

As far as buying a new pair, I'm looking for a pair that are small enough that you can actually step outside with them on (probably on-ear/supra-aural type), though aesthetics aren't the deciding factor really.  My budget is under $300, but of course lower is better! :)

Some of the ones that I've been looking at are the V-Moda M80's and the Phiaton MS400's, though again I'm working entirely from what other reviewers have said. 

Any advice or suggestions are well appreciated!

Thanks, 

AR

Nov 28, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #9,582 of 29,490
Hello all, I've been reading on the forum about a variety of budget headphones for the last few days and I'm considering buying the Goldring DR150 and Superlux HD668B (Also interested in Superlux HD661's but I can't find them in the UK. They are all available for £30-35 which is great. I tend to listen to jazz (Pat Metheny, Donald Byrd) soul (James Brown, The Meters) / a bit of rock (Steely Dan, Bowie) at well as a bit of Kraftwerk, David Axelrod and Erin Bode. I may buy both but I would like a bit of advice.

thanks in advance

Nov 28, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #9,583 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi everyone.
I am about to get my first pair of quality headphones.
At the moment I have some in-ear from Phonak, the PFE-122.
I am from Denmark (europe).
My budget is some where around 200 euros, maybe more if they are worth it.
I have been looking at:
Denon AH-D2000, AH-D1100
Ultrasone HFI780, HFI680, Pro550
Beyerdynamics DT 770
I need a headset thats closed since it shouldnt leak to much, I use in public places and schools eg.
My music genre is most metal, rock, classical, indie and just about everything.
What I seek in a headset is a good detailing in the trebles so you can hear all the fine details and such, and a good firm bass. It should be able to hande some bass as that is also  what I like.
I dont have an amp and will primarily use it with my iPod and PC.
Can anyone shed a light on this and help me what to get? You can recommend other headphones too if they are more suitable than those I have found.
ps. I have a kinda big head. When buying hats I go for around 62 cm.

The only Beyerdynamic DT770 that you could use (without a headphone amplifier) is the 32-Ohm version (Premium), which has the lightest bass of the DT770s.
Better to get the DT770 Pro 250-Ohm and use the leftover cash for a headphone amplifier.
The Fiio headphone amplifier (some come with DACS) can plug straight into the LOD of the iPod.

Nov 28, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #9,585 of 29,490
Hi Everyone. New to the forum here.

I'm looking to get some new over the ear headphones. Mainly for iPod/Computer listening. I listen to a lot of podcasts and hip hop music.

A guy from work is using the Bose Quiet Comfort 15. They sound amazing to me but I see a lot of hate towards Bose headphones. Can someone explain to me why that is and what are some similar options. I'd like to stay around $300 or less.

Thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back