++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 27, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #9,541 of 29,490
Looking at the UK Amazon site, there are several that are close to £50 you might want to consider, including the Creative Aurvana, the Sony MDR V6, the Koss DJ100, and the AKG K518. 

I believe all are included in this long review of headphones here at head-fi:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-96-portable-headphones-reviewed-v-moda-m-80-added-11-27-11

Nov 27, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #9,542 of 29,490
The Z1000s are pretty much the same SQ wise as the ZX700.  They are just built better (metal build rather than plastic.)  They are also much, much more expensive.  That being said, I have listened the ZX700, and they are decent, but not up to the level of the A900.

Quote:
Hmm... are the Z1000's much better than the A900?

Nov 27, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #9,543 of 29,490
I've read that there is a noticeable difference between the three versions - the 600 ohm being the best of the bunch.
Right now I'm looking at the Matrix Mini-i. It's supposed to be "tubey" and do fairly well with the dt880.
And at $300 I can stay fairly close to my budget if I can find a decent deal on the beyerdynamics.

Quote:

Why not go for the 30ohm version instead of the 600ohm version then, and get a portable amp/DAC combo?

Nov 27, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #9,544 of 29,490
http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparison-beyerdynamic-dt-880-32-ohm-dt-880-250-ohm-and-dt-880-600-ohm-headphones

There is a definite sonic difference between the different impedance variants of the DT880s. It's a subtle difference, but it exists. I have linked some great resources on the differences.

Quote:
I've read that there is a noticeable difference between the three versions - the 600 ohm being the best of the bunch.
Right now I'm looking at the Matrix Mini-i. It's supposed to be "tubey" and do fairly well with the dt880.
And at $300 I can stay fairly close to my budget if I can find a decent deal on the beyerdynamics.

Nov 27, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #9,545 of 29,490

Quote:
The Z1000s are pretty much the same SQ wise as the ZX700.  They are just built better (metal build rather than plastic.)  They are also much, much more expensive.  That being said, I have listened the ZX700, and they are decent, but not up to the level of the A900.

I don't think so. The Z1000s use a completely different driver, and the metal construction reduces housing reverb. In terms of sound quality, their resolution and bass extension is on the level of the W1000X and Pro 900.
Where on earth did you read that they are the same?

Nov 27, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #9,546 of 29,490

They're probably different drivers, but just from the frequency response curves and other graphs they look like very similar headphones. The Z1000 looks like a more refined ZX700
Quote:
I don't think so. The Z1000s use a completely different driver, and the metal is there for a reason: it reduces resonance. In terms of sound quality, they easily outclass the A900 and their resolution and bass extension is on the level of the W1000X and Pro 900.
Where on earth did you read that they are the same?

Nov 27, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #9,547 of 29,490
New guy seeking some guidance.

I'm looking for an upgrade for both music and gaming. < $100 would be ideal, < $140 is acceptable, but $150 is my absolute max unless presented with a compelling reason to go slightly higher. I expect headphones to be tight initially so I'm fine with a 'stretch' period. I'd rather not have to replace the stock ear pads, but I won't know if I like them or not until I have them on I guess. I've never worn on the ears headphones that were as or more comfortable than good over-the-ears headphones, so I'm sticking with that limitation. Whether they're open or closed... I'm too new to better-than-Radio-Shack headphones to prefer one over the other.

The music I listen to varies pretty widely. In terms of bands, think Avenged Sevenfold, Killswitch, and In This Moment on the harder side, 65daysofstatic, Skrillex, and Infected Mushroom on the post-rock/dubstep/drum-and-whatever side, and Epica, Nightwish, and We Are The Fallen on the symphonic metal side. Lighter listening includes groups like Escala, Clint Mansell, Paul Oakenfield, and Natalie MacMaster.

Gaming is almost exclusively first-person shooter, so 'staging' (I think this is the right term for distance/directional cues) is important to me.

Any input at all is both helpful and greatly appreciated!

Nov 27, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #9,548 of 29,490

Holy moley this is going to be a long post...

Quote:
Hello,

I'm looking to buy a pair of sub-$51.24 headphones for music (mostly trance stuff) at HOME. Did a quick search and came up with a few models.
- Sennheiser HD428
- Beyerdynamic DT-235
- Audio Technica M35 or M40fs (they're the same price on Amazon).

I'd love to get some pointers. Is there a better pair at the same price range? Again, will be using them at home mostly so I'm not too concerned about size.

Thanks.

My vote goes to one of the ATs. Check out a local music store which should have some available to audition.

Quote:
[size=12pt]Hello all :D

yeah im here to ask you all which headphones would you recommend for me, that[/size]

1. [size=12pt]Packs good bass, does not compromise sound quality(I generally listen to trance/dance/techno/ more)[/size]
  2. Does not require an amp
  3. Below 100 USD
  4. Portability not an issue

I currently own a portapro, but now I want some headphone that I can use for both gaming and music. Wonder if anyone can tell me the options available? Thanks a bunch! :p

I am currently thinking of Sony MDR-XB500 or xb700, any suggestions would be welcome!
    dt880smile.png

Might as well go big with the XB700, or if you'd like something smaller with punch you could try the AKG K518. 

Quote:
I was going to buy the Sennheiser HD 598, but unforeseen circumstances are forcing me to narrow my budget a lot, so now i'm bound to a maximum expense of 75EUR (100USD). The main field of usage would be gaming on ps3. I can't afford an amp right now, so i'll connect them to either the hp-out on the tv or directly to the ps3 through a RCA-to-3.5mm adapter, whichever will make 'em sound better. For the music listening part, i have my pc connected to a technics sa-ch550, so i have an amp for that. After some research i noticed that the Sennheiser HD429 (70EUR) can fit my needs, can you confirm this? Can you suggest other alternatives in that price range?

Can you find the HD558 or 555 within budget?

Quote:
I have narrowed my search down to the Beyerdynamic DT 880 pro's, and 990 pro's, is there a difference other than price? I need good tight bass, a great soundstage, and great clarity.
Could you tell me if a Denon AVR 1611 reciever would be able to drive a 250 ohm headphone to its fullest capabilities?

The receiver should be more than enough power. I prefer the DT880 which has a more balanced sound and nicer staging, while the 990 is more V shaped. 

Quote:

Hello,

I've been using the JVC HARX700 for a while, which are okay, but I think I'm now in the market for an significant upgrade. I'm looking for a good pair of headphones for general listening (mostly music, a little gaming) that's a significant step up in quality from the HARX700. I'm a student, so price is an issue, but I can afford to spend up to around $200 USD.

I mainly listen to progressive rock, classic rock, and jazz. I like a more low/mid focused sound with very clear and precise, but not necessarily boomy bass (I want to be able to follow a bassline, but I don't need the thump). Treble is nice, so long as it isn't terribly fatiguing.  

Build quality and comfort are very important to me, probably even more important than the sound quality. I'd like these to last me quite a while, and I plan to use them a lot. I don't really know where I stand on the whole open vs closed debate though. I like the airiness of an open headphone (the HARX700 get hot and sweaty after an hour or two), but I'd still like good bass and I'll probably be using them mostly in a dorm room, so I don't want too much sound leaking.

I don't have a headphone amp, and I don't think I'm in the market for one right now, because I don't really have the money to spare, so I'd like something that sounds good unamped either from my iPod or from my desktop. Buying an amp could be a possibility for the future, though.

These are the headphones currently at the top of my list:

Beyerdynamic DT 770

Shure SRH840

Audio-Technica ATH-M50S

Fischer Audio FA-003

Can somebody comment on which of these best fits my needs/wants, or if there are some other headphones I should be considering in their place? I'd greatly appreciate any feedback or suggestions you might have. Thanks!

They are all solid choices... the Beyer really wants an amp to sound it's best though so maybe cross that one off your list. The Shure is more of a laid back sound, the M50 punchier. 

Quote:
Hey all, I'm looking for a set of cans, but been a little out of the loop in the head-fi game... hoping to get some recs here.

Here are some of the headphones I've owned over the years, with some impressions. My observations probably aren't accurate, but maybe a seasoned head-fier can understand me.

Sony EX-71 - Rubbish. My ears still hurt from those headphones. 
Sennheiser PX100 (old version) - loved these. Didn't mind the bass, and I loved how "fun" they were. made just about every recording sound good, but probably didn't do any justice to some of my higher-quality rips. Cord/jack eventually failed on me.
Senn HD 201 - Was a little underwhelmed at first, but were pretty nice after some burn in. Lacked bass for my tastes, didn't quite cut it for my electronic & hip hop collection. All other genres sounded decent though. Headband snapped after I sat on them at school at the time. D'oh.
Nuforce X700 - Maybe my favorite headphones thus far. The level of "clarity" seems like a notch above any other headphone I've had, while they still maintain being fun and "musical". The cord/jack is out and barely plays out of one (left) side, but I'm intent on sending these back since they're still on warranty. 
V-Moda 4S Remix - Impulsively bought these at Costco while waiting for a roll of film to develop. I intend to use these for "everyday" use, on my phone, ipod, etc. I can already tell they're not in the same league as my Nuforce's, but they appear to be much more neutral. After some burn-in, the treble isn't as harsh and the mids are excellent. Good recordings shine, while they sort of expose poor recordings/rips.

So... I'm looking for a set of circumaural headphones. Preferably I'd like for them to be closed, but open would be fine too. These will stay at home, so they won't share the same fate as my HD-201. However, I'd still like a decently durable product... preferably one with a detachable cord, connecting on only one side of the headphones.

I'd like the cans to be on par with the X700's: a notch above budget & entry levels, but still cheap lol. My collection consists of mp3s ripped at 192 or 320, and I'd just drive these through my computer. I listen to just about every genre of music (lately: David Bowie, Marvin Gaye, Fela Kuti and The Weeknd), but I do have a LARGE collection of hip hop music and I feel like my next headphones have to account for this... while still doing justice to other "traditional" recordings/genres.

Lastly, I'm hoping to spend less than $100. Thanks Head-Fi!

Shure 440
Audio Technica M40
Ultrasone HFi450

Quote:
What would everyone recommend for best all around full size headphones for Music and Gaming?  If possible I'd like to buy just one set.  Based on what I've read my best bet might be the DT990s but maybe I missed something. 

My gaming sources are the xbox360 and PS3.  What dolby decoder/amp would you recommend?  Is there an alternative to the astro mixamp?

My music sources will be ipod/iphone/macbook.  In addition I also have a vintage stereo receiver I use for my turntable.

I'm a noob in the audiophile world(esp. headphones) and would appreciate your help in making the right purchase.

The Mixamp seems to get pretty decent review. Try asking in the gaming headphones thread (linked in the first post of this thread) for more specifics). For general gaming and music, I would choose the 880 over the 990.

Quote:
Hi
I'm looking for some headphones around $300. They are strictly for home use, and sound leakage is not a problem.
I will be buying a $200-300 DAC/amp to power them.

I listen to a lot of different stuff, but mainly "indie" folk/pop/rock and some electronica (ambient/glitch). So no jazz, classical or metal (or any kind of rock thats heavy on distorted guitars).
Some examples:
http://grooveshark.com/s/Monkeys+Uptown/3HfbmD?src=5
http://grooveshark.com/s/Fahrenheit+Fair+Enough/2L4Hjm?src=5
http://brokeforfree.bandcamp.com/track/the-album-leaf-streamside-broke-for-free-remix

I would also like them to do fairly well with movies, but that would probably only be what I use them for 10% of the time.

The Beyerdynamics dt880 (600 ohm) seem to fit the bill quite well, but are there others that would be better suited for my needs?

The DT880 and Senn HD600/650 are solid choices for all-purpose listening. Both like to have a little more power behind them; a Bottlehead Crack as you mentioned if a fantastic option and is one of my favourite pairings with them. Get yourself a cheap usb dac to feed them. 

Quote:
Hey guys (again...)

I am pretty sure i'm going to get some sennheiser hd25s but as it's the first serious money i've ever spent on headphones i want to check.

For, good noise isolation, comfort, overall sound quality (non amped, using a htc) (used for rock, metal, jazz, orchestral stuff, swing some hip hop), durability and ok looks for less than £250 (preferably £200) the sennheiser is the best out of:

Sennhesier hd25,
ath-m50,
B&W P5,
Beyerdynamic DT1350

Also any other suggestions ar welcome
Thanks (I know this isn't the first time i've asked, sorry but i just want to be sure)

Edit: you probably realised, but these need to be portable.

All good choices for your genres; I've owned or heard all of them. The best isolation would be the DT1350 or P5, with the HD25 close behind. Comfort wise, I give the nod to the M50 mostly because it's circumaural, but for supraaurals it would be the P5 > DT1350 > HD25.

The HD25 plays well to rock, hiphop and metal, as does the M50. Orchestral vote goes to the DT1350 and to a lesser extent the P5. 

Quote:
So I just went to a local guitarcenter and demo'd a SRH840.
Here's some of my (quick and very brief) impressions:
-Neutral as ****
-Pretty heavy
-If the headband didn't hurt, might be comfortable, but the way it is the top of my head still hurts after that 10-15 min demo
-Lacking bass (I mean it's there and it can have impact but it's not exactly what I'm looking for)
-Not fun for listening

Wish I had more time to try out the AT-M50 and DT770 PROs that were also on the same shelf but I only had enough time for a quick demo of the neutral sounding SRH840 (keep in mind the SRH840 prooobably didn't have any burn-in whatsoever).

But, what I realized was that I wanted a little more bass than an SRH840 could offer, was just wondering if I could get any suggestions? (People vouching for the DT770? M50? FA-003? Other suggestions welcome! Preferably closed, driving the headphone out of an iPod, preferably around the same 150$USD price range)

The M50 will be punchier, but it won't be "more". The DT770pro80 definitely offers more bass, and you might be able to find it on sale within your budget this weekend.

Quote:
Hey guys, just looking for some preliminary suggestions as to my next upgrade. Probably going to be looking into the $200-400 range and probably my first true mid-fi/low end hifi can.

After listening to my M50s for about a month I have come to be really satisfied with them but they have also helped me come to realize some things I want into my next can.

- They definitely need to be open and full sized, I appreciate the sound that comes with that type of headphone.

- Must be a balanced headphone that can fit multiple styles. I am a very diverse listener and I think the problem is both my current headphones...well, aren't the most diverse lol. The M50 actually is pretty balanced in pure sound response(it being a studio monitor and all) but it's cramped staging really detracts from a lot of jazz and classical music. So I think having a can that has the bass response and slam to handle modern pop, hip-hop, and R&B but still be subtle enough with a great sound stage to cater towards classical fans and the like would be suitable. This is probably a bit too demanding but anything that can get close to this is probably right down my alley.

- Being great for movies is always a plus. I love putting my AD's on for a nice film
darthsmile.gif

The rest I'm not too sure on. I've never really looked into this field and I just need some cans to look into while I stock the fund back up. This will probably be my last can before I look into upgrading equipment again.

Just throwing out some popular cans within this range

Sennheiser HD650
AKG Q701
Beyerdynamic DT990

I think the DT990 is the most suitable out of those listed. It will give plenty of bass oomph and top end shimmer, though you may want to consider getting an amp for it. 

Quote:
What do you guys think:
Sennheiser HD201s for $15 or AKG K44 MKIIs for $30?
The headphones will be used primarily for casual listening and some light DJing.

Thanks in advance! 
L3000.gif

Eh, get the cheaper HD201 and save up for nicer headphones down the line.

Quote:
Hello all! I'm looking to buy a pair of cans for my iPod for around 100 bucks. I was looking at the ATH-M50s, but they are slightly out of my range and I'm not too sure they are really meant for iPods/MP3 players. Listen to a lot of Rock/Metal. Thanks for the help!

Sony V6/7506/ZX700 comes to mind.

Quote:
I've been trying to decide for day's what to get for Christmas and i finally decided I think a good pair of headphones would be a good investment. I've seen lots of beats solo hd's around school but I think they are just to flashy and wouldn't look good give 2 years time. I hear that they don't sound that good too. Now I'm no audiofile I just want to listen to good sounding music coming out of my phone and laptop (mp3s mostly). I don't want big bulky headphones either that would look really weird walking around school with on (I like the size of the beats). I have been looking at the AIAIAI's TMA-1 which I hear are really good but a tad expensive personally. Are there any other good alternatives? 
I mostly listen to pop i guess with rap,rock and country thrown in sometimes. thanks

ps Really want them just to be on ear headphone not full size huge

Check my profile for a review link where I compare the TMA-1 vs M80 vs HD25 vs DT1350 vs T50p

Quote:
OK. My Sony V600s have left the building.  And probably cheaper to buy new than repair.  Never really fond of their sound anyway.  Still have to stay under a C.  40% Mahler and related Classical.  20% Kenton/Ferguson.  10% Bluegrass.  10%  Drum Corps/Brass Band.  20% Everything else.  Been out of the loop for decades.  This looks like the right thread at the right time.  Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  These will probably mostly be used with my PC and its built in sound card playing FLAC files and rarely with the 3 other Onkyo/Denon/Infinity/Advent systems.  TYVM.

Senn HD518 (or 558 if you can find it on sale)
AKG K240

Quote:
Hi,

Just a short Q here. Miles&More Miles to spend.

Sennheiser PXlli or BeyerDynamics DTX 101ie (or Bose ie2)

General opinion?

Thanks

P.S.: Side Information: I have a Corda 3Move to pair them with.

Did you mean the PX100-IIi? That or the PX200-IIi are quite good. 

Quote:
Hello all,

My friend is currently looking at buying some headphones and is interested in getting the Sennheiser hd 215 ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-HD215-Closed-Back-Headphone/dp/B0007QN180 )

From my search on the forum there doesn't appear to be much discussion on these (recently anyway) and was wondering if anyone could provide more info on these or recommend alternatives for up to the £70 mark (I'm guessing about $120-130?).

Thank you.

They're ok, but you can do better in the Sennheiser line. Do you need open or closed? There's the HD449 or HD518 to consider.

Quote:
Quick question (and one I may have asked before, apologies if so!).  If I find the b&w p5 isolation lacking in the situation I want to wear them in, is it worth looking at either the senns hd25 or the beyer dt1350?  Listen mainly to progressive rock/metal and audiobooks.

Cheers.

I consider the P5 to be about on par with the DT1350 in terms of isolation. If the P5 isn't enough, you'll have to start looking at IEMs. 

Quote:
Which is more audiophiley can: AKG K601 or Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro, when feeded with a good amp? I can get these at the same price around 200$ shipped, just can't choose which one to take.

I'd say the K601

Quote:
My decision is between the Audio Technica M50S or the Sennheiser HD 439's. I picked up a pair of Sennheiser HD 428 S's for a few bucks on black friday and burning them in right now. I am enjoying them just not in love with the levels of Bass. The bass is dreadful without my E6 amp and even then, I have to use the equalizer to get better bass like I'm looking for. 

I know the Audio Technica M50S's are supposed to be a bit neutral as the are monitor headphones, but I've heard using an equalizer would help get the type of output I'm looking for. The Sennheiser 439's are supposed to be a year newer and a version up from the headphones I got this weekend and have more of an enhanced bass. 

Anyone know which set of cans will have the better sound stage and not feel completely underpowered by my iPod Classic 7G without the amp. I want to only wanna use the amp when I'm listening to things more bass heavy or sitting down. I commute to college and I have several hours to myself most days, so when I walk around campus I down wanna have to use an amp, but when i'm sitting down and doing work, an amp will usually be used. 

Thanks for the input guys. 

Assuming the HD439 improves on the 438... I felt the 438 to have better staging than the M50. 

That said, the M50 is portable and fairly durable with good isolation, while the HD4xx series really isn't. 

Quote:
Hi guys,

I need help choosing a decent pair of headphones and my budget for this is £50.

I am currently considering the Sennheiser HD 428 (new) and the HD 465 (damaged packaging but brand new). No reason for the brands, but they are the only ones I could really find on amazon for £50. 

I've read approx. 30 reviews today about the 428s and most people complain about them been too quiet and generally lacking bass. I can't afford an amplifier on top of this so I'm leaning away from these.

I've not really read up much on the 465s (pounding headache plus I can't find my glasses...) but I've heard they have much more bass and are better overall.

I've never bought a pair of proper on ear headphones before so I don't know exactly what I'm looking for.

Could you guys advise me on this issue? They will be used for watching movies, listening to music (obviously..) and video gaming.

If it helps at all my taste in music is metal, classic rock and whatever you would consider dubstep to be.

(Started a new topic outside of this one without realising this one existed....sorry about that!)

Some feedback would be appreciated fairly quickly as I've only got until Friday 2nd to decide.

The 438 would have more bass than the 428 if you can find it within budget. 

Quote:
On ear or over ear isn't really an issue for me. I'm only going to be using them at home on my PC and my TV. I won't have an amp but will be getting an ASUS Xonar DG sound card for my PC which, if I remember correctly, has a built-in headphone amp and people rave about it so it is a definite purchase.

I've been reading some of these mod topics and in one of them this guy is raving about the upgrade from copper to silver wiring. As the HD465s have a detachable wire is it possible to replace it with a silver based one? Pre-made btw, I'm not ready for the home mod scene just yet.

Anyone have any suggestions for other headphones in my price range?

Don't bother within jumping into silver wiring. Lots of cost for negligible (if any) return. 

Quote:
They're probably different drivers, but just from the frequency response curves and other graphs they look like very similar headphones. The Z1000 looks like a more refined ZX700

But I'd bet a waterfall plot would look different... you can't judge a headphone purely by a few graphs. 

Nov 27, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #9,549 of 29,490

Quote:
New guy seeking some guidance.

I'm looking for an upgrade for both music and gaming. < $100 would be ideal, < $140 is acceptable, but $150 is my absolute max unless presented with a compelling reason to go slightly higher. I expect headphones to be tight initially so I'm fine with a 'stretch' period. I'd rather not have to replace the stock ear pads, but I won't know if I like them or not until I have them on I guess. I've never worn on the ears headphones that were as or more comfortable than good over-the-ears headphones, so I'm sticking with that limitation. Whether they're open or closed... I'm too new to better-than-Radio-Shack headphones to prefer one over the other.

The music I listen to varies pretty widely. In terms of bands, think Avenged Sevenfold, Killswitch, and In This Moment on the harder side, 65daysofstatic, Skrillex, and Infected Mushroom on the post-rock/dubstep/drum-and-whatever side, and Epica, Nightwish, and We Are The Fallen on the symphonic metal side. Lighter listening includes groups like Escala, Clint Mansell, Paul Oakenfield, and Natalie MacMaster.

Gaming is almost exclusively first-person shooter, so 'staging' (I think this is the right term for distance/directional cues) is important to me.

Any input at all is both helpful and greatly appreciated!

If you want big bass, you will not find something that satisfies both electronica bass needs and provide excellent staging for games at the same time. A Sennheiser HD5xx would be a good middle ground option though, providing decent bass but also excellent extension and good staging.

Nov 27, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #9,550 of 29,490
@Armaegis I have an amp, it's rated up to 600ohms as well. Have you tried the DT990s with the D1?

Nov 27, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #9,551 of 29,490

Quote:
If you want big bass, you will not find something that satisfies both electronica bass needs and provide excellent staging for games at the same time. A Sennheiser HD5xx would be a good middle ground option though, providing decent bass but also excellent extension and good staging.

Not 'big' bass, strictly speaking, just accurate to what was recorded in the studio (I prefer balance so I don't drown out some ranges in favor of others). The headphones I wrote down on impulse are Sennheiser HD 280 Pro ($80), HD 380 Pro ($180), HD 558s ($170), and V-MODA Crossfade LP ($80). It sounds like the 558 is at least in the right direction; does my clarification on bass change your recommendation(s) any?

Nov 27, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #9,552 of 29,490

Quote:
On ear or over ear isn't really an issue for me. I'm only going to be using them at home on my PC and my TV. I won't have an amp but will be getting an ASUS Xonar DG sound card for my PC which, if I remember correctly, has a built-in headphone amp and people rave about it so it is a definite purchase.
I've been reading some of these mod topics and in one of them this guy is raving about the upgrade from copper to silver wiring. As the HD465s have a detachable wire is it possible to replace it with a silver based one? Pre-made btw, I'm not ready for the home mod scene just yet.
Anyone have any suggestions for other headphones in my price range?

Samson SR850 (made by Superlux).

The Asus Xonar DG (PCI), has a halfway decent headphone amplifier rated up to 150-Ohms
Comes with Dolby Headphone

Nov 27, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #9,553 of 29,490

Quote:

Beyerdynamic DTs in 32-Ohm are the lightest bass.
Better to get the 250-Ohm version(s) and spend the left over cash on a headphone amplifier.

Nov 27, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #9,554 of 29,490
Hi Headfiers

Basically i want a pair of solid closed back super aural or circumaural (not fussed) cans for generaly listening in a noisy environmet such as on the sofa with someone watching tv and travelling. Ideally Not noise cancellers!

My budget is strictly around £80-£100 GPB

My taste in music is 80% 80's rock  10% blues and another 10% of anything and everything
what i really look for is a balanced response (i know this term is chucked around alot but nice integration between bass and mid range not overpowering bass and a nice clear cut treble)

I Currently own a portable headhone amp so hard to drive cans are no problem

just for reference i have at the moment Goldring Dr150 and completely lov'em and ultimate ears super fi 5

i have been looking through some threads and onlinine reviews and have come up with
  1. AKG K450  (Headphones product of the year 2011 WhatHifi) But i have read extremest views on them some people love them and other people loath them. could be personal preferance but surely reviews would not be so different ???
  2. Shure SRH 440
  3. Sennheiser HD 280 Pro

What do you guys think ??? because ime really stumped
blink.gif
      or is there something i have overlooked ?

Thanks in advance
beyersmile.png

Nov 27, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #9,555 of 29,490
Thanks for the reply. The HD650's are a bit too expensive. I considered getting the HD600's on sale, but decided against it. The dt880's just seem more interesting to me, and people seem to generally prefer them to the the HD600's at least.

So you suggest buying a good amp (like the Crack) and a decent dac (any suggestions below $100?) as opposed to a good dac with a decent amp (like the matrix mini-i for example)?

Quote:
The DT880 and Senn HD600/650 are solid choices for all-purpose listening. Both like to have a little more power behind them; a Bottlehead Crack as you mentioned if a fantastic option and is one of my favourite pairings with them. Get yourself a cheap usb dac to feed them. 

Do you mean the 880 pro (250 ohm)? Those are only $220, the regular ones are priced the same.

Quote:
Beyerdynamic DTs in 32-Ohm are the lightest bass.
Better to get the 250-Ohm version(s) and spend the left over cash on a headphone amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back