++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 17, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #9,226 of 29,490
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and would like to ask if anyone has heard of Teufel Aureol Massive? They seem like a good deal price wise and what limited reviews I can find online. How is it compared to a Klipsch Image One or a Creative Aurvana Live? I'm planning to use the headphones indoors most of the times, as well as the occasional long train ride. 

Nov 17, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #9,228 of 29,490
Hello,

I've been using the AKG-K77 since getting them for Christmas last year but am looking to upgrade this Christmas.

-I listen to mostly rock music, with some acoustic and hip-hop sprinkled in.
-I would like to keep my budget around $100, but could probably stretch it to $150 if needed.
-I do not have an amp as of yet, but would like to in the future.
-I would also like to have a headphone that is mod friendly in the future, as it is something I am interested in getting into.

Thanks in advance!

Eric

Shameless bump for those who may have missed it. I should add that these will be for home use.

Nov 17, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #9,229 of 29,490

Quote:

Hi there, 
After only using IEMs I started thinking about getting some full sized headphones for use at home.

I'm currently owning the sennheiser IE8 in ears and I really love them..
Because i'm absolutely not into headphones i'm asking here for some advice.
I'm listening to house, hiphop, rock (bruce springsteen, bryan adams etc), and some pop music.

I'm actually looking for some headphones which sound like my ie8's.
Bass is really important to me. Bass must go deep, really deep (subbass) with a nice punch. I hate bloated midbass (eq'd it down on my IE8) 
The highs are ok on my IE8 ( I eq'd them up by 1 db)

Highs have to be detailed, smooth and bright but not too bright and harsh. 

so i'm actually looking for some warm headphones with a good overall clarity.

I will be using them on a sony a845 unamped... A 3.5 mm plug is required.

price: maximum of 150 euro's (about 205 dollar) and they have to be over the ear and closed

Maybe you guys have some suggestions for me?

thanks in advance :)

Hmm... M-Audio Q40?

Quote:
I should also probably add that my budget is up to about $250, though I'd be willing to bend a bit for a really good deal.

I don't think the HDJ-2000 would have the bass extension I'm looking for, and would be a bit "murky" for my tastes.

I'm not really sold on the S-Logics. I'd rather avoid headphones that attempt to do gimmicky things with sound. I want accurate reproduction, and I feel that any sort of "enhancement" eliminates any possibility of that.

However, someone did metion AD900s, and I think they might be just what I'm looking for. Can any one else comment on the AD900s? Ideally I'd like to hear how they compare to my GR07s.

Check my profile for a Pioneer mod that greatly improves bass extension. Not too hard to do and only takes a half hour tops. 

Quote:
Looking for a recommendation on a set of full-size cans that provide the best passive isolation.  Unlike most here, sound quality can take a back seat.

I have severe tinnitus, so I've been using a set of Sennheiser HD-280 Pros when I fly for the last couple years and while they are quite good at isolation, felt them to be lacking in recent years.  Not interested in NC headphones, but prefer passive isolation without having to go to IEMs.  I also notice with the 280's they seem to increase the rumble of low-end exterior sounds (which correlates with the isolation graph at Headroom).

So is there any phones that are on the market that provide better isolation than the HD-280's?  There is always Peltor safety muffs but those a) would look ridiculous and b) wouldn't let me listen to music at a very soft level as I do now.

Thanks in advance for advice.

For better isolation, the only ones I can think of are the HD380, Beyer DT770, and B&W P5. The HD380 is a nice upgrade to the 280, the DT770 is quite bassy and wants an amp to sound its best, the P5 is portable and quite comfortable for an on-ear.

Quote:
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and would like to ask if anyone has heard of Teufel Aureol Massive? They seem like a good deal price wise and what limited reviews I can find online. How is it compared to a Klipsch Image One or a Creative Aurvana Live? I'm planning to use the headphones indoors most of the times, as well as the occasional long train ride. 

I have never heard of them... take one for the team and write a review for us 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Hi, I just got a chance to trade my Sony MDR v6 with a set of Sennheiser HD555. Should I do it?

Do you need isolation? That's a big determining factor. Also check your local prices and see if they are comparable. 

Quote:
Hello,I've been using the AKG-K77 since getting them for Christmas last year but am looking to upgrade this Christmas.

-I listen to mostly rock music, with some acoustic and hip-hop sprinkled in.
-I would like to keep my budget around $100, but could probably stretch it to $150 if needed.
-I do not have an amp as of yet, but would like to in the future.
-I would also like to have a headphone that is mod friendly in the future, as it is something I am interested in getting into.

Thanks in advance!

Eric

Most headphone are relatively easy to open up... that said, the most popular ones at the moment would be Grados and Fostex, and probably Ultrasone next. 

Nov 17, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #9,230 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi, I just got a chance to trade my Sony MDR v6 with a set of Sennheiser HD555. Should I do it?

How attached are you to the Sonys? If you like them, I really can't recommend the HD555. It's been a while since I heard it last, but I recall it distinctly as not being very good.

Nov 17, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #9,231 of 29,490

Senn PX 360. Definitely.
Quote:
Looking for a recommendation on a set of full-size cans that provide the best passive isolation.  Unlike most here, sound quality can take a back seat.

I have severe tinnitus, so I've been using a set of Sennheiser HD-280 Pros when I fly for the last couple years and while they are quite good at isolation, felt them to be lacking in recent years.  Not interested in NC headphones, but prefer passive isolation without having to go to IEMs.  I also notice with the 280's they seem to increase the rumble of low-end exterior sounds (which correlates with the isolation graph at Headroom).

So is there any phones that are on the market that provide better isolation than the HD-280's?  There is always Peltor safety muffs but those a) would look ridiculous and b) wouldn't let me listen to music at a very soft level as I do now.

Thanks in advance for advice.

Nov 17, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #9,232 of 29,490
I currently have HD650, songs with lots of bass sound awesome, but i mostly listen to stuff like c-pop and j-pop and they don't really have allot of bass, I'm wondering now, do I stick with the HD650 or get new ones that work better with the music I have. If I should get new ones, which headphones? My budget is around $315 or £200. Open or closed does not matter as I listen at home. So far I've been looking at stuff that don't really emphasize bass, such as AKG 701 or Shure SH 940. I'd like some pointers.

Nov 17, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #9,233 of 29,490

Quote:
I currently have HD650, songs with lots of bass sound awesome, but i mostly listen to stuff like c-pop and j-pop and they don't really have allot of bass, I'm wondering now, do I stick with the HD650 or get new ones that work better with the music I have. If I should get new ones, which headphones? My budget is around $315 or £200. Open or closed does not matter as I listen at home. So far I've been looking at stuff that don't really emphasize bass, such as AKG 701 or Shure SH 940. I'd like some pointers.

Have you considered Audio-Technica? They're a popular brand in Japan, and their sound signature tends to emphasize mids and treble more than bass. The AD900 and A900 would fit your budget.

Nov 17, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #9,234 of 29,490

Quote:
Have you considered Audio-Technica? They're a popular brand in Japan, and their sound signature tends to emphasize mids and treble more than bass. The AD900 and A900 would fit your budget.

That looks like a very good shout, after looking through reviews. Many criticize it's bass, but that's not really a issue for me. Definitely a strong candidate, I will likely buy a used pair here and see how they do.

Nov 17, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #9,235 of 29,490
Apparently a used AD2000 goes for $300 in Japan. You just need to find a way to ship it affordably...

Nov 18, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #9,238 of 29,490
Most headphone are relatively easy to open up... that said, the most popular ones at the moment would be Grados and Fostex, and probably Ultrasone next. 

Thans for the info. Im leaning toward the Grado s80i, and have a couple of questions.

-I have rather large ears, and have never worn this style of headphone as an adult. Will this pose a problem?

-Does this particular model lend itself to adding an amp in the near future?

Thanks again!

Nov 18, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #9,239 of 29,490
I mainly listen to hip hop and older songs with some bass, but I want an all round headphone aswell(no iems). I also like the stoundstage factor and thus thinking about buying the ultrasone 8s as I will also be using them outdoors/with phone. Would these be a good fit for me? Are they that good for their price i.e one of the best? I was also going to purchase a portable amp since they are pretty small to carry around.

Nov 18, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #9,240 of 29,490

Quote:
I mainly listen to hip hop and older songs with some bass, but I want an all round headphone aswell(no iems). I also like the stoundstage factor and thus thinking about buying the ultrasone 8s as I will also be using them outdoors/with phone. Would these be a good fit for me? Are they that good for their price i.e one of the best? I was also going to purchase a portable amp since they are pretty small to carry around.

Personally, I'd never take the Edition 8 outdoors. It is indeed a portable headphone, but when you see the finish on them you'll probably be a bit reluctant to do so if you're at all OCD like I am. They certainly have a nice bass on them though.

The Beyerdynamic T5p is another top tier portable like the Edition 8 you may want to consider. It's a bit more cumbersome than the Edition 8s, and I'd also be a bit weary of taking them outside with me for the same reasons though.

As a heads up, if you like the Edition 8 / Ultrasones, you may want to wait for the Signature Pro to come out. According to Ultrasone, it'll have the same sort of sound as an Edition headphone but with a much more rugged construction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back