++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 7, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #8,926 of 29,490

Quote:

Hi, Not nearby. Even if I did here in New Zealand the mark up on such goods can be astounding. Id prefer to order online as it has always been cheaper for me.
Cheers mate

Fellow Kiwi!

If you need help, pm me.  Can talk you through a couple of options.

Cheers
Paul

Nov 7, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #8,927 of 29,490
Hi, I'm looking for a pair of very comparable cans. I have Sennheiser HD 280s right now, and am very pleased with the sound. They allow me to work undisturbed in noisy environments. However, I really want an open-air pair of headphones that will allow me to experience the music more. I am looking at Sennheiser HD 650s, 598s, or something similar in quality. The only real stipulation is that I won't spend over 360 USD (Amazon is currently selling 650s for around that price). I listen mainly to these types of bands: U2, Farless, Mae, Pink Floyd, Alison Krauss & Union Station, Attack Attack, and Classical as well. So all of that is to say that I need a well-rounded option. However, I listen to mellow acoustical and classical more than most anything. The exception is that U2 is my favorite band, and The Fly has to sound good on this pair of 'phones.

As an extra thought, I want to get a line out for my iphone and a portable amp. I'd need an amp that would work both with the new pair of headphones as well as the 280s I am rocking right now. Also, I assume I'd be wanting to pick up an older modeled ipod that's not my iphone or itouch. Thanks in advance, sorry for the jumbled thoughts.

Nov 7, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #8,928 of 29,490

Quote:
Do you have any music/guitar centres nearby that you can check out?

The Furutech is relatively new from what I understand, so I doubt you'll find too many impressions on it just yet. What the little I've read though, it seems like a good value. Do you need the phono input though? Your receiver should be enough power for just about any headphone, and if you do get the Furutech you can always feed it into the receiver.

Good all-rounder headphones to consider would be the Sennheiser HD600/650 and Beyerdynamic DT880.

Thanks for the input Armaegis. I was looking at the DT770 and so the Beyerdynamic DT880 seems logical. Would you recommend going for the 600 Ohm version? My concern would be that it would be hard to drive, but if I do get the Furutech, this will not be a problem. Still, it might make sense to get the 250 Ohm version. What do you think/

As for the Sennheisers, I read a lot of posts saying they sound "veiled", "dark" or that they're not very lively/exciting. Is this true for you?
What is your take on the Sennheiser HD598 and Denon AH-D2000?

Thanks!

Nov 7, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #8,930 of 29,490
IMO this has a lot to do with the amp.  Plenty of power brings out the liveliness in the Senns.

Quote:
Thanks for the input Armaegis. I was looking at the DT770 and so the Beyerdynamic DT880 seems logical. Would you recommend going for the 600 Ohm version? My concern would be that it would be hard to drive, but if I do get the Furutech, this will not be a problem. Still, it might make sense to get the 250 Ohm version. What do you think/

As for the Sennheisers, I read a lot of posts saying they sound "veiled", "dark" or that they're not very lively/exciting. Is this true for you?

Thanks!

Nov 7, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #8,932 of 29,490
Hey all, I'm sorry if this isn't the correct place for this, but I didn't see the equivalent of this thread in the Amp forum.

I've searched countless threads trying to find an amp that works for me. I just purchased a pair of DT990/600 and I'm looking for an amp to drive them as my Maverick Tubemagic D1 apparently isn't going to cut it (a little upset about that seeing as they claim it can drive 600 Ohm headphones) As of now, I'm trying to find an affordable amp <$200. I don't feel I really have the time to build a Bottlehead Crack (Full time job and college classes), and I was in love with the Little Dot MkIII until I saw the $45 shipping. 

My guess is an OTL amp of some sort, but I'm still very new to this. 

As of now my planned set up is for Gaming/FLAC audio: PC > Optical > D1 > Amp > DT990/600.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Apparently I completely looked over the Schiit Asgard, which is $50 over my initial price cap, but it seems to be getting a decent reception. Anyone have experience with the DT990/600 with this amp?

Nov 7, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #8,933 of 29,490

Quote:

Thanks!

It's not a huge difference between the 250 and 600 ohm version. Check out the very first post in this thread for a link to a comparison of the various Beyer models. For what it's worth, I actually preferred the 880/250 over the 880/600, but it's a marginal difference.

The Senns tend to have a midbass hump and a slight slope/dip in the treble, which can lead to a veiled feeling. There's also the need for amplification, without which they can feel a little sluggish (especially in the bass) which will again make them feel dark and veiled. Any half decent amp should fix that though.

Quote:
I can't particularly say I liked the Sparrow, at all...  IMO it just sounded unmusical.

While not the greatest amp I've heard, I think it's a good value for all the features and inputs it provides. I liked it about as much as the Apex Butte... though my review of that unit wasn't exactly stellar either.

Nov 7, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #8,934 of 29,490
Hi everyone :)

I am looking to spend approximately 500 dollars on a new headphone setup. Here are some details on what I'm looking for:

Usage: At work (cubicle land), at home on PC, occasionally on the go in the car.
Sources: 320kbps MP3 on iPod, 24/96 and 24/192 FLAC downloads on PC to USB DAC.
Music styles/tastes: Primarily alternative, rock, grunge, and metal. 311, Alice in Chains, Megadeth, Rage Against The Machine, Smashing Pumpkins.
Preferred "sound signature": Balanced is the first word I can think of. Biggest preference is for very well controlled, defined bass. Quality over quantity! My home theater speakers are geared more towards a neutral sound signature, so something similar in headphones would be a plus.

I would like a closed-back headphone to prevent sound leakage when listening at work. Isolation is not critical to me, but not having my coworkers not hear my music is more important.

I am buying a USB DAC to listen to my music at home, so am also open to buying a headphone amp if necessary to power these headphones. Also was planning on buying a line-out dock for the iPod.

My only other experience with headphones to date is with the Denon AH-D1001 headphones I bought for a friend. I did not care for the bass response on those headphones- a little more emphasized and in your face and uncontrolled on music with especially fast bass tracks than I would prefer.

After researching, I have been considering these headphones: Shure SRH-840 or 940, Beyerdynamic DT-1350. I also received a recommendation for the Denon D2000s, but reviews seem to indicate the bass characteristics are not quite in line with what I want. The main complaint against the Beyers is the fit of the earpad since they aren't full-sized. With the Shures, I have read reviews that paint the 840 as being more "laid back" than the 940s, so I'm not sure if this means the 940s are overly bright or if the 840s have more emphasis on the mids/bass?

Any and all recommendations for a headphone/amp combination up to $500 is welcome. Thank you for reading and your insights, I appreciate it!

Nov 7, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #8,935 of 29,490
I'm getting a new pair of headphones fopr listening at home, as a compliment to my ViSang R03 that I use on the move. I've got up to $150 to spend, and maybe an amp in addition to that. They need to be able to be run unamped from a clip+ though.

Listening style: I would like the sound to be on the neutral or slightly warmer side, a wide soundstage and they should be able to deliver crisp, detailed highs without stepping too far from the natural sound. My preferred style of music is very wide and includes IDM, classical piano, jazz, classic rock, indie rock, reggae, shoegaze and much more. Portablity does not matter, nor does isolation.

Please help me, and please explain why a pair is good or why it is not good for me.

So, now I need help to narrow this selection down a bit!

Shure 440
Sony V6 (too narrow soundstage?)
Senn HD555
Denon D1000/D1001
Koss Pro DJ100
Beyerdynamic DT770
AKG K240
Grados SR60i (Fit for the rock and shoegaze, but small soundstage?)

Best regards,
Edvard

Nov 7, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #8,936 of 29,490
The shures and certainly balanced. I'd stick with the 840 if you want a slight hump.

How about a full size Beyer like the 770? Very comfortable and you could get an amp to power the 600 Ohm beyers wihon your price range.

Quote:
Hi everyone :)

I am looking to spend approximately 500 dollars on a new headphone setup. Here are some details on what I'm looking for:

Usage: At work (cubicle land), at home on PC, occasionally on the go in the car.
Sources: 320kbps MP3 on iPod, 24/96 and 24/192 FLAC downloads on PC to USB DAC.
Music styles/tastes: Primarily alternative, rock, grunge, and metal. 311, Alice in Chains, Megadeth, Rage Against The Machine, Smashing Pumpkins.
Preferred "sound signature": Balanced is the first word I can think of. Biggest preference is for very well controlled, defined bass. Quality over quantity! My home theater speakers are geared more towards a neutral sound signature, so something similar in headphones would be a plus.

I would like a closed-back headphone to prevent sound leakage when listening at work. Isolation is not critical to me, but not having my coworkers not hear my music is more important.

I am buying a USB DAC to listen to my music at home, so am also open to buying a headphone amp if necessary to power these headphones. Also was planning on buying a line-out dock for the iPod.

My only other experience with headphones to date is with the Denon AH-D1001 headphones I bought for a friend. I did not care for the bass response on those headphones- a little more emphasized and in your face and uncontrolled on music with especially fast bass tracks than I would prefer.

After researching, I have been considering these headphones: Shure SRH-840 or 940, Beyerdynamic DT-1350. I also received a recommendation for the Denon D2000s, but reviews seem to indicate the bass characteristics are not quite in line with what I want. The main complaint against the Beyers is the fit of the earpad since they aren't full-sized. With the Shures, I have read reviews that paint the 840 as being more "laid back" than the 940s, so I'm not sure if this means the 940s are overly bright or if the 840s have more emphasis on the mids/bass?

Any and all recommendations for a headphone/amp combination up to $500 is welcome. Thank you for reading and your insights, I appreciate it!

Nov 7, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #8,937 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm getting a new pair of headphones fopr listening at home, as a compliment to my ViSang R03 that I use on the move. I've got up to $150 to spend, and maybe an amp in addition to that. They need to be able to be run unamped from a clip+ though.

Listening style: I would like the sound to be on the neutral or slightly warmer side, a wide soundstage and they should be able to deliver crisp, detailed highs without stepping too far from the natural sound. My preferred style of music is very wide and includes IDM, classical piano, jazz, classic rock, indie rock, reggae, shoegaze and much more. Portablity does not matter, nor does isolation.

Please help me, and please explain why a pair is good or why it is not good for me.

So, now I need help to narrow this selection down a bit!

Shure 440
Sony V6 (too narrow soundstage?)
Senn HD555
Denon D1000/D1001
Koss Pro DJ100
Beyerdynamic DT770
AKG K240
Grados SR60i (Fit for the rock and shoegaze, but small soundstage?)

Best regards,
Edvard

You want the Sennheiser HD558's, because you described them, and they're best for exactly the kind of music you listen to.  Don't bother with any other that you put on the list except K240, none of them work very well for music you listen to, and none of them have great soundstage, also, dont bother with HD555's, since HD558's are much better, and not much more expensive.

Nov 7, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #8,938 of 29,490
OK so I'm planning on getting a pair of Beyer DT770 PRO 80. These will be my first headphones over $60. My question is: Do these headphones need an amp? I'm new to quality audio and I've heard people say these do need an amp to sound their best, but I've heard others say they don't and that they sound fine without one. If i do need an amp i am only looking to spend  around $60 or less and one that is portable. Main ones I'm looking at: FiiO e6 or e11, PA2V2, JDS Labs CMoybb - would these work for me? My source will be an iPod nano 4th gen. with an LOD (FiiO L1)

Nov 7, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #8,939 of 29,490
Hey guys newbie here lol. I've been frequenting Head-fi alot recently since I'm in search for the best sub $100 headphones and right now I'm torn between these pair of headphones:

Sony MDR-V6
V-Moda Crossfade M-80 or LP
Grado s60i or s80i
AKG K240

The reason why I'm looking at these other than the price and personal enjoyment is that I also have to use them in a recording studio. I'm a college student in the music business area at my uni and I'm about to take recording classes in the spring and I'm pretty sure none of my current collection of headphones would be good enough for recording studio use. What I personally listen to is jazz, rock, hip hop, pop and classical music. And what I'll be recording in that class is pretty much jazz and classical though in the later stages we're also supposed to dabble with rock and pop music. And as a side, I also write beats and produce stuff with Reason and Fruity Loops so it should also work well with electronic music.

From what I've heard from here and other places is that it seems like the MDR-V6 and the K240's are the standard in recording studios. The Grado's on the other hand are legendary as well though they tend to favor the Rock genre in terms of their sound. The Crossfade's on the other hand, I know they're sub $250 at least but I'm considering them as well simply coz I've heard so many good things about it and from what I've experienced using the Remix remote ieb's every day, you'd expect them to even perform better.

Lastly, my source is a Sony lappy that has some internal Realtek sound card which I'll be replacing hopefully by Christmas with a current gen MacBook Pro or Air, a rooted(not sure if that means anything lol) Android phone MyTouch 4g. And the recording studio at my uni also uses Pro Tools 8, so my other source is gonna be an M Box of some sort.

Anyway, excuse the really long post and thanks for the help. Looking forward to what you guys suggest.

Nov 7, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #8,940 of 29,490
IMO they need an amp or they sound way too muddy. I'd suggest the E11 in that price range. Good cheap amp.

Quote:
OK so I'm planning on getting a pair of Beyer DT770 PRO 80. These will be my first headphones over $60. My question is: Do these headphones need an amp? I'm new to quality audio and I've heard people say these do need an amp to sound their best, but I've heard others say they don't and that they sound fine without one. If i do need an amp i am only looking to spend  around $60 or less and one that is portable. Main ones I'm looking at: FiiO e6 or e11, PA2V2, JDS Labs CMoybb - would these work for me? My source will be an iPod nano 4th gen. with an LOD (FiiO L1)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back