++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 6, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #8,911 of 29,490
I posted in this thread the other day, asking about the Sennheiser HD 598 and then realized that I want closed back instead for better isolation. My budget is around 150-250 for the headphones, I am looking at the Audio Technica ATH-A900 but they are slightly too large for me and I would like something that is portable. then for an amp I was looking at the Fiio E7 or E9 or something similarly priced. Thanks

tl:dr:
150-200$
Closed back
portable
Fiio e7 amp or equivalently priced

Nov 6, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #8,912 of 29,490

Quote:
I posted in this thread the other day, asking about the Sennheiser HD 598 and then realized that I want closed back instead for better isolation. My budget is around 150-250 for the headphones, I am looking at the Audio Technica ATH-A900 but they are slightly too large for me and I would like something that is portable. then for an amp I was looking at the Fiio E7 or E9 or something similarly priced. Thanks
150-200$
Closed back
portable

CALs (Creative Aurvana Live).
To me the cups barely go around my ears.
Will still sound fairly good with out the headphone amplifier.
But I still think you should get the amp.

Nov 6, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #8,913 of 29,490
Hello guys, based on your reccomendations I ordered the Senn's HD 380's and love them! However they are a little big for my commute so I've given them to my Dad as he loved them! 

I need something a little smaller, but that still won't leak sound and is suitable for a commute, How are the beyerdynamic T50P's in that class? thanks for your help again!

[size=1.8em]  [/size]

Nov 6, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #8,914 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello guys, based on your reccomendations I ordered the Senn's HD 380's and love them! However they are a little big for my commute so I've given them to my Dad as he loved them! 

I need something a little smaller, but that still won't leak sound and is suitable for a commute, How are the beyerdynamic T50P's in that class? thanks for your help again!

Did you give the Sennheiser HD 25-II any consideration?  Similar price range, and very light with good isolation.

Nov 6, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #8,915 of 29,490
Shameless self-plug for my portables review: http://www.head-fi.org/t/574617/review-comparison-beyerdynamic-dt1350-t50p-sennheiser-hd25-1-ii-hd25-13-ii-pioneer-hdj-2000-v-moda-m80-aiaiai-tma-1

Nov 6, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #8,916 of 29,490
I should be reviewing these soon. If they're good they'll be getting recommended by me frequently in this thread. They're at that budget sweet spot.

Quote:
CALs (Creative Aurvana Live).
To me the cups barely go around my ears.
Will still sound fairly good with out the headphone amplifier.
But I still think you should get the amp.

Nov 6, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #8,917 of 29,490

Quote:

150-200$
Closed back
portable

Any more suggestions?

Nov 6, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #8,918 of 29,490

Quote:
Any more suggestions?

Full sized:
Beyer DT770
Shure 840/940
Senn 280/380

portable:
Beyer DT1350
Senn HD25-1-ii
AKG K518

Nov 6, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #8,919 of 29,490

Quote: Armaegis
If you'd be willing to push just a bit higher, an AKG K240 is about $85.

Hi there, I just checked out your recommendation and they seem really nice but people say you need an amp to make it worth the buy. Plus I live in New Zealand so we need to roughly factor in shipping costs. 
I'll still keep an eye out for them, but if you have any other recommendations just give us a shout.
Thanks

Nov 6, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #8,920 of 29,490
I think I'll try this again.

I have similar requirements to randomstranger in that I'm looking for a set of cans for enjoying at home for up to USD 400.

I own a pair of Audio Technica ATH-ANC7b noise-cancelling headphones, because I travel a lot. They work GREAT in an aircraft and perform much better than what one would assume having read What-Hifi's 3-star rating. Having tested the competition (the more expensive Dr Dre Beats and Bose Quiet Comfort 15), the ANC7b hit the sweet spot of price and performance. They are also very musical across a wide range of genres.

However, they are limited and sibilant when used in normal environments and do generate a bit of pressure on the ears - nowhere near as much as the Bose cans do though.
So, after some extensive reading, I think I would like to skip the $200+ range (ATH-M500).
I listen to everything except classical, jazz, country, new age or anything heavier than metal, although I do occasionally listen to Diana Krall or Tony Bennett. Other than that almost anything goes:

A Perfect Circle, Tori Amos, Pearl Jam, Metallica, Alison Moyet, Led Zep, Daft Punk, Classic Rock, 80s rock, Reggae, Pop, Pop Rock, some 90s hip hop, Muse, SOAD, Blondie, Feist, Jewel, Prodigy, Bon Iver, Jamiroquai, RHCP, Coldplay, Robert Palmer, Kings of Leon etc etc - You get the picture....a broad range except for Classical, Jazz, New Age, Country and anything heavier than metal.

Also, if possible, I would love to hear your recommendation for a headphone amp. I would basically either use it with my laptop or with my amp (in case the cans don't sound great with it).
My amp is a Denon AV receiver. The Denon AVR-2310. The headphone amp should be good enough for the cans i will buy, but also good enough, if I upgrade in future. I was thinking of the Furutech ADL-GT40 based on some favourable reviews and its versatility. Have any of you used it before?

Thank you!

Nov 7, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #8,921 of 29,490

Quote:

Hi there, I just checked out your recommendation and they seem really nice but people say you need an amp to make it worth the buy. Plus I live in New Zealand so we need to roughly factor in shipping costs. 
I'll still keep an eye out for them, but if you have any other recommendations just give us a shout.
Thanks

Do you have any music/guitar centres nearby that you can check out?

Quote:
I think I'll try this again.

I have similar requirements to randomstranger in that I'm looking for a set of cans for enjoying at home for up to USD 400.

I own a pair of Audio Technica ATH-ANC7b noise-cancelling headphones, because I travel a lot. They work GREAT in an aircraft and perform much better than what one would assume having read What-Hifi's 3-star rating. Having tested the competition (the more expensive Dr Dre Beats and Bose Quiet Comfort 15), the ANC7b hit the sweet spot of price and performance. They are also very musical across a wide range of genres.

However, they are limited and sibilant when used in normal environments and do generate a bit of pressure on the ears - nowhere near as much as the Bose cans do though.
So, after some extensive reading, I think I would like to skip the $200+ range (ATH-M500).
I listen to everything except classical, jazz, country, new age or anything heavier than metal, although I do occasionally listen to Diana Krall or Tony Bennett. Other than that almost anything goes:

A Perfect Circle, Tori Amos, Pearl Jam, Metallica, Alison Moyet, Led Zep, Daft Punk, Classic Rock, 80s rock, Reggae, Pop, Pop Rock, some 90s hip hop, Muse, SOAD, Blondie, Feist, Jewel, Prodigy, Bon Iver, Jamiroquai, RHCP, Coldplay, Robert Palmer, Kings of Leon etc etc - You get the picture....a broad range except for Classical, Jazz, New Age, Country and anything heavier than metal.

Also, if possible, I would love to hear your recommendation for a headphone amp. I would basically either use it with my laptop or with my amp (in case the cans don't sound great with it).
My amp is a Denon AV receiver. The Denon AVR-2310. The headphone amp should be good enough for the cans i will buy, but also good enough, if I upgrade in future. I was thinking of the Furutech ADL-GT40 based on some favourable reviews and its versatility. Have any of you used it before?

Thank you!

The Furutech is relatively new from what I understand, so I doubt you'll find too many impressions on it just yet. What the little I've read though, it seems like a good value. Do you need the phono input though? Your receiver should be enough power for just about any headphone, and if you do get the Furutech you can always feed it into the receiver.

Good all-rounder headphones to consider would be the Sennheiser HD600/650 and Beyerdynamic DT880.

Nov 7, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #8,923 of 29,490
Looking to spend 500 or maybe more on a nonportable setup for my macbook pro. someone please help me. Looking to get into classical music, techno, but also I'd like to be able to listen to some hip hop (basically, everything). Need recommendations for a dac/amp and headphones

Nov 7, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #8,925 of 29,490

Quote:
hey newbie here, i just want to know what headphones are good for metal music? 

Grado
Senn HD25
Sony V6/ZX700

Quote:
Looking to spend 500 or maybe more on a nonportable setup for my macbook pro. someone please help me. Looking to get into classical music, techno, but also I'd like to be able to listen to some hip hop (basically, everything). Need recommendations for a dac/amp and headphones

Denon D2000 with Audio-gd Sparrow.

Quote:

Hi, Not nearby. Even if I did here in New Zealand the mark up on such goods can be astounding. Id prefer to order online as it has always been cheaper for me.
Cheers mate

But at the very least you can check out some brands and see how different headphones fit and feel. See if you can find any places that will price match as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back