++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 6, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #8,896 of 29,490
To fix the Grado problem, you could try new pads (HD414 pads are supposed to be comfier), but that will change the sound. My problem was usually more due to the band than the pads though, so I don't know if I'd be any help.

If I get the HD600 (seriously considering over the HD5xx line with the descriptions I hear of it), how much amping do I actually need? I won't be using them from an iPod or anything, but will a receiver out be enough to be at least somewhat happy, or should I plan on a dedicated amp? If I do need an amp, any cheaper recommendations?

Nov 6, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #8,897 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello,

Been a long while since I've been on here. Very informative forum btw.

I just got Monster Beat Solos as a "gift" and within 2 minutes an audio guy and I now consider them garbage. Worse than I even anticipated.
I'm going to sell them cheap and would like to get some other Over the ears.

My budget is $150 max. If a headphone amp is needed for optimal performance, that's fine.
Looking for a good freq response were you actually hear some of the higher end spectrum...unlike the monsters.

a couple random suggestions for you:
Shure 840 - bassier, good isolation, a bit bigger and heavier
Sony V6 - neutral sound, durable build, folds compact, on-ear but large pads

Quote:
Currently I own a pair of ATH-M50 cans and thought they were a huge step up from what I was using, I know they are still entry level headphones.  I don't really have the budget for a multi-thousand dollar set up nor can I fit a set up in my dorm.  Therefore I would be using something like a FiiO e7 & e9 set up for dorm use and portable.  I was also thinking about upgrading from my clip+ & e11 to my ipod 5th gen 30gb with a nicer DAC + LOD that could also double for use with my laptop.  Since I have a pair of decent closed headphones, I'd rather spring for an open set of cans that give me a better soundstage since the soundstage on the M50s is almost non existent.  Obviously walking around with open cans isn't the greatest idea but I have no problem swapping to my M50s for when I need to be silent to those around me.   

Music consisting of .flac encoded at 24/96 or 320kps mp3:
Drum n Bass/Industrial: Nine Inch Nails, Pendulum, Prodigy
Classic Rock: Zeppelin, The Who,
Metal: Megadeth, Metallica, Mastodon
Electronic: Daft Punk, Tiesto, Kaskade, Deadmau5
Dubstep: Skrillex, Bassnectar

I would assume that buying any of these headphones would be a poor idea since they wouldn't be at their full potential without a multi-thousand dollar rig even though these would be "future proof" headphones.

$1,000+
Audez'e LCD 2
Sennheiser HD 800
Beyerdynamic Tesla T1
Beyerdynamic T5P

There are plenty of headphones in the sub $400 market that are well respected.  This bracket would allow me to pick up a decent headphone plus a portable DAC + Dock. 

Sub $400
Sennheiser HD 650
AKG K701
Beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium 600 OHM
Denon AH-D2000
Grado SR235is
Shure SRH940

For your budget and genres, I would say the Beyerdynamic DT990 fits quite well (880 is good too, the 990 trades overal balance for more oomph and zing, and the pro model leaves enough money leftover for a dac/amp).

Quote:
Hey guys, decided to finally make an account here. i've been lurking for quite some time (about 4 moths or so), and i currently own a pair of grado sr80i's. these are amazing, but they're open. i commute to college via public bus, and i can just feel people giving me dirty looks as i use them in public. i need a closed can with decent isolation and SQ. i know that closed cans usually have worse sq, but its better than having to ride the bus for an hour with no music (not that i can hear much over the bus engine). i'm currently eyeing the AIAIAI tma-1 or the senn hd 25, but i'm not sure. any reccomendations?

tl;dr version

Music genres: rock, alt rock, post-hardcore, electronic, dubstep, symphonic metal, industrial, etc
Portable: yes
Price range: under 300usd
Amped: no
Closed/Open: closed (unless someone can convince me that the AKG semi open don't leak much.)
Headphone preference: currently eyeing the AIAIAI TMA-1's, own grado sr80i.

also, my grado hurt my ears after about 2 hours, is there anything i can do about that?

The HD25 has better isolation than the TMA-1, but isn't as comfortable. For your genres, I would pick the Senn.

In what way does the grado hurt your ears?

Nov 6, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #8,898 of 29,490

Quote:
If I get the HD600 (seriously considering over the HD5xx line with the descriptions I hear of it), how much amping do I actually need? I won't be using them from an iPod or anything, but will a receiver out be enough to be at least somewhat happy, or should I plan on a dedicated amp? If I do need an amp, any cheaper recommendations?

A receiver is enough power for the HD6xx series.

Nov 6, 2011 at 3:48 AM Post #8,899 of 29,490
Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a new pair of headphones and could really do with your advice.

At the moment I'm using some £20 on-ear headphones that I recieved as a present a year or two ago. They are awful in terms of comfort, sound quality and pretty much everything else. For soundcard I've got a 8 Chanel Onboard HD Audio (not sure if it is 'good' or not, but its a brand new computer so I'd hope its somewhat decent).

I'd like something thats good for music (dnb/dubstep/indie/rock/electronic/nyan cat/just about everything else) and gaming, and over-ear. I'll only ever be using them at home so portability/size isnt an issue, and closed/open isnt too important either. As for amps, I dont know if I should get one yet. If my soundcard is good enough, and I can afford and good pair of headphones AND and amp within my £200 budget then I'll gladly try it out. I've never used an amp before so I have no idea what to look for.

I was looking at the astro a40's a few days back, and while they look good for gaming they are very expensive, and from the looks of things you're paying for a ton of gimmicks that I'd most likely never use (like xbox/ps3 compatability and wireless). I've also heard bad things about gaming headsets in terms of sound quality that put me off aswell, though since I do a lot of gaming and have never used 'good' headphones in my life I'm still half considering it since I'll be buying a new microphone either way (for gameplay commentaries and such). I also had a look around the sennheiser 595/598/600 but I'm not sure. I initially counted the 595 out since the 598 is a better model, but it looks like a classic card dashboard.. and then the 600 is a little over budget. But maybe its worth saving for? I dont know. Anyway thanks in advance, especially so for putting up with my rambling :)

Nov 6, 2011 at 5:00 AM Post #8,900 of 29,490
 Hi there, I feel kinda awkward asking on these forums about headphones for gaming. But here goes, I am not an audiophile per se but I can appreciate quality headphones. I will be using these headphones solely on my computer and mainly for fps gaming. I don't have a dedicated sound card just an inbuilt one (realtek alc883). I am or believe I am looking for a headphone with a large soundstage. My budget is roughly 60 USD and so far my best option is looking to be the Superlux HD668B's. I welcome all thoughts and opinions, positive or negative. Oh and I believe I will be wanting open as I have no one to disturb, I also do not want an amp.
Thanks.

Nov 6, 2011 at 7:11 AM Post #8,901 of 29,490

Quote:
To fix the Grado problem, you could try new pads (HD414 pads are supposed to be comfier), but that will change the sound. My problem was usually more due to the band than the pads though, so I don't know if I'd be any help.

I like the sound, which is why i haven't changed the pads yet. I love my grados the way they are, it just hurts to wear them for prolonged times.

Quote:

a couple random suggestions for you:
Shure 840 - bassier, good isolation, a bit bigger and heavier
Sony V6 - neutral sound, durable build, folds compact, on-ear but large pads

For your budget and genres, I would say the Beyerdynamic DT990 fits quite well (880 is good too, the 990 trades overal balance for more oomph and zing, and the pro model leaves enough money leftover for a dac/amp).

The HD25 has better isolation than the TMA-1, but isn't as comfortable. For your genres, I would pick the Senn.

In what way does the grado hurt your ears?

aside from the two i mentioned, what else is there that meets my criteria? i'm shopping around to get the best for what i want. 
it's a little hard to describe, but it feels like i get a 'cramp' of sorts in the back of my ear, where it joins the skull (where over-the-ear IEM's go). it doesnt get overbearingly painful, but it hurts to the point that i have to rest my ears for like 15 mins.

Nov 6, 2011 at 8:08 AM Post #8,902 of 29,490
how about in ear monitors like UE11 and JH13?  impressions differ and mostly they are evaluated through ipods, iphones, cowons...
i would know ue11 vs. JH13 impression through hifiman or high end portables. is there significant improvement going to more drivers?

Nov 6, 2011 at 9:01 AM Post #8,903 of 29,490
I'm not a fan of Astro's actual headsets, but the MixAmp is a golden product. Very, very good for gaming as it gives you the simulated surround. 

I love the 598 for gaming as it's not too bass heavy but not completely void of bass (like so many other gaming cans)...but with your music preferences you might want to get the HD 600 a shot. It's got more bass authority for your DnB and DubStep. Although it does need more power to sound its best. 

Either way I'd suggest one of those and maybe a MixAmp later if you want simulated surround a decent little amp all in one package.

Quote:
Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a new pair of headphones and could really do with your advice.

At the moment I'm using some £20 on-ear headphones that I recieved as a present a year or two ago. They are awful in terms of comfort, sound quality and pretty much everything else. For soundcard I've got a 8 Chanel Onboard HD Audio (not sure if it is 'good' or not, but its a brand new computer so I'd hope its somewhat decent).

I'd like something thats good for music (dnb/dubstep/indie/rock/electronic/nyan cat/just about everything else) and gaming, and over-ear. I'll only ever be using them at home so portability/size isnt an issue, and closed/open isnt too important either. As for amps, I dont know if I should get one yet. If my soundcard is good enough, and I can afford and good pair of headphones AND and amp within my £200 budget then I'll gladly try it out. I've never used an amp before so I have no idea what to look for.

I was looking at the astro a40's a few days back, and while they look good for gaming they are very expensive, and from the looks of things you're paying for a ton of gimmicks that I'd most likely never use (like xbox/ps3 compatability and wireless). I've also heard bad things about gaming headsets in terms of sound quality that put me off aswell, though since I do a lot of gaming and have never used 'good' headphones in my life I'm still half considering it since I'll be buying a new microphone either way (for gameplay commentaries and such). I also had a look around the sennheiser 595/598/600 but I'm not sure. I initially counted the 595 out since the 598 is a better model, but it looks like a classic card dashboard.. and then the 600 is a little over budget. But maybe its worth saving for? I dont know. Anyway thanks in advance, especially so for putting up with my rambling :)

Nov 6, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #8,904 of 29,490
Dont know is this the right thread to ask but lets give it a try. So i am thinking of bying a lcd2 headphones. Now i have a little dot mk3 amp, it is probably not the best pair with those headphones? But probably i buy a another amp in the near future. So can i get started with that amp and those headphones. Or is it just awful sounding?

Nov 6, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #8,905 of 29,490

Quote:

I have HD650's which are harder to drive than 600's, and they pretty much work out of anything I plug them into.  They even work very nicely and more than loud enough out of a 10 year old Philips micro-hifi system that was crappy even when it was new.

Nov 6, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #8,906 of 29,490
The LCD 2 sound alright out of just an iPod. They certainly wouldn't be awful, but nowhere near their best either. I'd suggest a good DAC/Amp combo when you get the money.

Quote:
Dont know is this the right thread to ask but lets give it a try. So i am thinking of bying a lcd2 headphones. Now i have a little dot mk3 amp, it is probably not the best pair with those headphones? But probably i buy a another amp in the near future. So can i get started with that amp and those headphones. Or is it just awful sounding?

Nov 6, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #8,907 of 29,490
Hi,

I have similar requirements to randomstranger in that I'm looking for a set of cans for up to USD 400.

I own a pair of Audio Technica ATH-ANC7b noise-cancelling headphones, because I travel a lot. They work GREAT in an aircraft and perform much better than what one would assume having read What-Hifi's 3-star rating. Having tested the competition (the more expensive Dr Dre Beats and Bose Quiet Comfort 15), the ANC7b hit the sweet spot of price and performance. They are also very musical across a wide range of genres.

However, they are limited and sibilant when used in normal environments and do generate a bit of pressure on the ears - nowhere near as much as the Bose cans do though.
So, after some extensive reading, I think I would like to skip the $200+ range (ATH-M500).
I listen to everything except classical, jazz, country, new age or anything heavier than metal, although I do occasionally listen to Diana Krall or Tony Bennett. Other than that almost anything goes:

A Perfect Circle, Tori Amos, Pearl Jam, Metallica, Alison Moyet, Led Zep, Daft Punk, Classic Rock, 80s rock, Reggae, Pop, Pop Rock, some 90s hip hop, Muse, SOAD, Blondie, Feist, Jewel, Prodigy, Bon Iver, Jamiroquai, RHCP, Coldplay, Robert Palmer, Kings of Leon etc etc - You get the picture....a broad range except for Classical, Jazz, New Age, Country and anything heavier than metal.

Also, if possible, I would love to hear your recommendation for a headphone amp. I would basically either use it with my laptop or with my amp (in case the cans don't sound great with it).
My amp is a Denon AV receiver. The Denon AVR-2310. The headphone amp should be good enough for the cans i will buy, but also good enough, if I upgrade in future. I was thinking of the Furutech ADL-GT40 based on some favourable reviews and its versatility. Have any of you used it before?

Thank you!

Nov 6, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #8,908 of 29,490

Quote:
 Hi there, I feel kinda awkward asking on these forums about headphones for gaming. But here goes, I am not an audiophile per se but I can appreciate quality headphones. I will be using these headphones solely on my computer and mainly for fps gaming. I don't have a dedicated sound card just an inbuilt one (realtek alc883). I am or believe I am looking for a headphone with a large soundstage. My budget is roughly 60 USD and so far my best option is looking to be the Superlux HD668B's. I welcome all thoughts and opinions, positive or negative. Oh and I believe I will be wanting open as I have no one to disturb, I also do not want an amp.
Thanks.

If you'd be willing to push just a bit higher, an AKG K240 is about $85.

Quote:
aside from the two i mentioned, what else is there that meets my criteria? i'm shopping around to get the best for what i want. 
it's a little hard to describe, but it feels like i get a 'cramp' of sorts in the back of my ear, where it joins the skull (where over-the-ear IEM's go). it doesnt get overbearingly painful, but it hurts to the point that i have to rest my ears for like 15 mins.

I wonder if it's the pressure pushing your ears flat that causes the discomfort. Maybe you should consider circumaural headphones instead (the kind that sit around-ear rather than on-ear). The best isolators I've heard in that class are the Senn HD280/380 and Beyer DT770

Nov 6, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #8,909 of 29,490

Quote:
If you'd be willing to push just a bit higher, an AKG K240 is about $85.

I wonder if it's the pressure pushing your ears flat that causes the discomfort. Maybe you should consider circumaural headphones instead (the kind that sit around-ear rather than on-ear). The best isolators I've heard in that class are the Senn HD280/380 and Beyer DT770

it probably is the pressure. i let my brother borrow my headphones for a while yesterday, and he has a bigger head than i do. i put them back on after he had them, and i noticed no discomfort for quite a while. i watched the entire inglorious basterds movie without rest. 

the reason i've been aiming for supraaural is that i need the headphones to be reasonably portable. for a while i was considering the AT m50's, but they're quite big and seem like they'd be a pain to lug around all day. if the phones you've named are light and portable, i'll give them a shot.

also, it's a nice feature that the tma-1's have a detachable cord and seem built quite well. i'm scared my grado might break in transit.

Nov 6, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #8,910 of 29,490

Quote:
it probably is the pressure. i let my brother borrow my headphones for a while yesterday, and he has a bigger head than i do. i put them back on after he had them, and i noticed no discomfort for quite a while. i watched the entire inglorious basterds movie without rest. 

the reason i've been aiming for supraaural is that i need the headphones to be reasonably portable. for a while i was considering the AT m50's, but they're quite big and seem like they'd be a pain to lug around all day. if the phones you've named are light and portable, i'll give them a shot.

also, it's a nice feature that the tma-1's have a detachable cord and seem built quite well. i'm scared my grado might break in transit.

The 280 collapses like the M50, the 380 folds flat. The 770 is not really portable.

Most on-ears will compress a bit. The most comfortable I've tried that provide good isolation are the B&W P5 and Beyer T50p (older version with rounded pads)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back