++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 5, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #8,866 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey I had Koss pro dj100 and actually loved them, but some son of a bitch mugged me and stole my backpack...with my cans on it, so I'm forced to look for a good replacement...
Let's put it like this:
Music Genres: Mostly rock: classic rock, alt rock, indie. But also classical and a 10% electronic.
Sound Preference: I loved Koss's mid range so i'd like something like that.Good clear, accurate bass, not boomy, and clear crisp highs. Also a good soundstage and good instrument separation.
Equipment: ipod, cmoybb and LOD
Price top: Let's say a hundred bucks, but could be little bit more.
Current options: Sony mdr-v6
                          Shure srh440
                          Panasonics RP-HTF600
                          or again Koss pro dj100
 Wich one would fit better my preferences, or do you have another good option?? Best regards.

Wow, that sucks. Sorry to hear it.

If you can find a used srh840 I think it has an even better sound for rock. Good midrange like the DJ100, but with more neutral bass and a little more treble, and it's a little fuller sounding too. Not as comfy though and the soundstage is actually a little worse, and you'll lose some of that satisfying low bass for electronic stuff.

But if you really like the Koss nothing wrong with going for it again and saving a few bucks, nice headphones.

Nov 5, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #8,867 of 29,490
I have a question about the Audio-Technica ATH-M50....Whats the difference between them and the ATH-M50S?

also, why are people on this site saying that you can find these headphones for around $100? Everywhere I look they're priced around $160.

Thanks

Nov 5, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #8,868 of 29,490
The M50 vs M50S is just a straight vs coiled cable. 

Watch out for fakes though. 100 seems too good to be true.

Quote:
I have a question about the Audio-Technica ATH-M50....Whats the difference between them and the ATH-M50S?

also, why are people on this site saying that you can find these headphones for around $100? Everywhere I look they're priced around $160.

Thanks

Nov 5, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #8,870 of 29,490
Actually from Amazon? Or from someone through Amazon...? Just because they're on Amazon doesn't mean they're legit. Many people report fakes through Amazon. I see the M50S from Amazon for 143, and the M50 for 160. 

And yes, that's the only difference. The M50S is the straight cable.

Quote:
oh okay...which one is the straight cable? besides that there's zero difference?

I'm buying off amazon so I don't think they're fake

Nov 5, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #8,871 of 29,490
well...I only buy from reputable sellers on both Amazon and Ebay...and the stuff comes with warranties...so I assume it's real. I don't know how else to tell if it's real or fake.

If it's a disreputable seller with a low rating and the headphones are suspiciously cheap, then I'll avoid them

Nov 5, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #8,872 of 29,490
right, somehow the idea of a single thread being used for multiple people's question seems... uh, against internet standards, but i just come here for advice, so no complaints.

Anyway, i'm enjoying my senn 25-1 IIs for music, but i'm looking for another set for gaming cause the senns can't be worn for hours on end.
My priorities are comfort, clear audio (for games, not music), decent mic and preferably decent 5.1 or 7.1 audio. In that order.

The surround sound can be skipped if it costs too much for a decent pair and i could probably use a separate mic, though i find them a bit annoying.

My motherboard's on-board audio controller is Realtek's ALC892 8-Channel HD audio which i wont be upgrading.

I'm trying to save as much money as possible and would prefer something around $100 but could probably go up to $200.

Also, i'm in canada, in case that makes a difference for availability and such.

I appreciate any suggestions, thanks.

Nov 5, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #8,873 of 29,490

Quote:
Well...Having heavy bass and playing games isn't usually a great idea. Though it sounds like you're more of an immersion kind of guy.

Either way I would recommend the HD 598. It's not bass light, but it's not super heavy either. It's my go to for gaming as it takes to Dolby very well. 

Between the 598, 600, and 650 I think it's preference rather than better sound. What element of a song do you like most?

so you're telling me there's no big difference in sound quality even though HD 650 are more than double in price of HD 598? I think I should go to some store and compare them, but.. as I said, I have no idea how will the demanding HD 650s sound on my soundcard, they probably have expensive AMPs in the store. I like clear, strong bass but nothing overpowering and smooth vocals, want it to sound good overall, smooth balanced sound :)

Nov 5, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #8,874 of 29,490
@slicedtoad

All headphones are 2.0 channel sound, period. And no, doohickeys like the TakeT SuperTweeter don't count.

Don't despair though, since some headphones have great spatial/positioning effects. You only have two ears, after all. Listen to some binaural recordings and you'll see what I mean.

I think Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic make some sets with microphones, but if it's for gaming only it wouldn't hurt to get something from SteelSeries or Turtle Beach or whatever. It would be better if you could try them out first, though.

Nov 5, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #8,876 of 29,490
I've no experience with the T50ps, but the HD25s do leak a tiny bit. Just don't play your music too loudly. Then again, I have a melon head which prevents me from getting a perfect seal, so results may vary.

Nov 5, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #8,878 of 29,490
IMO no there's not much if a difference. Based on what you said I'd go for the 600.

Quote:
so you're telling me there's no big difference in sound quality even though HD 650 are more than double in price of HD 598? I think I should go to some store and compare them, but.. as I said, I have no idea how will the demanding HD 650s sound on my soundcard, they probably have expensive AMPs in the store. I like clear, strong bass but nothing overpowering and smooth vocals, want it to sound good overall, smooth balanced sound :)

Nov 5, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #8,879 of 29,490
Quote:
I've no experience with the T50ps, but the HD25s do leak a tiny bit. Just don't play your music too loudly. Then again, I have a melon head which prevents me from getting a perfect seal, so results may vary.

Quote:
The T50p is semi open and the HD 25-1 II has some of the best isolation out there. No comparing the 2 IMO.

Thanks you two, the girl decided on the T50p already though so now she's looking into a cheap, portable amp under $100. I pointed her in the direction of the Fiio E7, E10, and E11. Was that the right thing to do?
blink.gif

Nov 5, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #8,880 of 29,490

Quote:
well...I only buy from reputable sellers on both Amazon and Ebay...and the stuff comes with warranties...so I assume it's real. I don't know how else to tell if it's real or fake.

If it's a disreputable seller with a low rating and the headphones are suspiciously cheap, then I'll avoid them

Actually, back to this...Does anyone actually have a way at identifying fake M50's from real ones. I haven't used them before, and my ears aren't well seasoned enough to tell by just sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back