++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 4, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #8,836 of 29,490

Quote:
The DT-770 Pro 80-Ohm has the most bass, the DT-770 "Premium" 32-Ohm has the least bass (but still good)
I would "guess" the IPod can decently power the 80-Ohm.
The Premiums have a lighter clamping force compared to the Pros.

If you like full bass, get the Pro 80-Ohm and with the money you save over the Premium 32-Ohm, buy a portable headphone amplifier.

It might change from phone to phone.

Apple store recommends AKG702 (78-ohm or close to it, but it was below 80 ohm for sure) and say it sounds good our of IPod. I'm yet to come across people that support that statement.

Probably someone with iPad + DT770 80 ohm can feedback.

Nov 4, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #8,837 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello, I'm kinda new here. I'm looking to upgrade a bit from the m50s I have now. I listen to mostly Drum and Bass, some dubstep, electro, Rock, Hard Rock. My budget is around $250-300. I'll be listening through my iPod Touch mostly. I was thinking something like the Beyerdynamic DT 770, Or maybe the Ultrasone PRO 650. Also since I would be using my iPod mostly, would these require a portable amp? Would something like the FiiO E11 work well? Also one more thing, Beyerdynamic DT 770, Would the 80 ohm be to hard to drive from an iPod Touch or would the 32 ohm be better? Thanks
beyersmile.png

Since you are listining to Drum and Bass a lot, it might help us if you state the following preference

• Do you prefer quantity? Some times quantity means emphasis on the low frequency, plus long extension (slow decay) so you will hear the drum bits or bass longer, and you hear louder on bass.
  • Do you prefer quality? This varies - some headphone extend very low, they have plenty of low register, but with faster decay, and as the result you have fast attacks and "ïmpacts".

If you are going with FiiO E11, yeah I would say your choices might widen up a bit.

Nov 4, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #8,838 of 29,490
I probably prefer quantity. The M50's are the first headphone I have used. But I'd say I probably like quantity a bit more then quality.  

Quote:
Since you are listining to Drum and Bass a lot, it might help us if you state the following preference

• Do you prefer quantity? Some times quantity means emphasis on the low frequency, plus long extension (slow decay) so you will hear the drum bits or bass longer, and you hear louder on bass.
  • Do you prefer quality? This varies - some headphone extend very low, they have plenty of low register, but with faster decay, and as the result you have fast attacks and "ïmpacts".

If you are going with FiiO E11, yeah I would say your choices might widen up a bit.

Nov 4, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #8,839 of 29,490
My computer is almost finished and I need some help with the headphones, my soundcard is the Titanium HD. I was reading in Mad lust envy's thread which is for consoles about how good the K701's are. Are they still the best for Cmss3d? I already have some M50's for music just need some help getting the best gaming headphones I can for under $300.
Thanks, Enemygate

Nov 4, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #8,840 of 29,490

Quote:
It might change from phone to phone.
Apple store recommends AKG702 (78-ohm or close to it, but it was below 80 ohm for sure) and say it sounds good our of IPod. I'm yet to come across people that support that statement.
Probably someone with iPad + DT770 80 ohm can feedback.

I believe the AKG 702 is 62-Ohm
I'm guessing for what the price is for an iPad or iPod Touch, they would a decently powered headphone jack.

Nov 4, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #8,842 of 29,490
I know nothing about headphones.  I am looking for a decent pair.  I have narrowed it down to 3 based on reviews.  Will gladly look into others if you recommend them.  Looking to spend around $150-200.  I will be using them a lot on airplanes.  Probably 50/50 music and movies.  I  know all three will do just fine for music, I am mainly wondering which would be best for movies.

Ultrasone HFI-780
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Beyerdynamic DT 770-PRO 250

Nov 4, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #8,843 of 29,490
$100-$150 budget. Looking for something portable and suitable for use in noisy situations (airport, public transit, etc). Music preference is mainly choral and instrumental, but I'd like enough bass to be able to switch over to something with beat if the mood strikes. Comfort is important. Any recommendations?

Nov 4, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #8,844 of 29,490

Quote:
I probably prefer quantity. The M50's are the first headphone I have used. But I'd say I probably like quantity a bit more then quality.  

If that is the case I would say you better listen to them first because you might not like what you look for. M50 vs DT770, M50 has the "quantity" that you look for in comparison.

I have no experience with Ultrasone PRO 650.

Nov 4, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #8,845 of 29,490

Quote:
I know nothing about headphones.  I am looking for a decent pair.  I have narrowed it down to 3 based on reviews.  Will gladly look into others if you recommend them.  Looking to spend around $150-200.  I will be using them a lot on airplanes.  Probably 50/50 music and movies.  I  know all three will do just fine for music, I am mainly wondering which would be best for movies.
Ultrasone HFI-780
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Beyerdynamic DT 770-PRO 250

I really like my Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 250-Ohm headphones, but you need to use them with a headphone amplifier.
CALs (Creative Aurvana Live) might work for you.

Nov 4, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #8,847 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks, I will look into.  For the 770's any portable amp you recommend?

You can build your own for under $25.
Fiio seems to get talked about a lot.
Check eBay, search for "portable headphone amplifier"

Nov 4, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #8,848 of 29,490
Hi, 

First post, but have been reading and researching for a while.  I'm looking for a new set of headphones, currently using Beats Studio and although they aren't perfect they have treated me well, but it's time I upgrade and move to a better more all around headphone.  I ideally am looking for something that is very versatile, in both what can be listened to on them and places to listen.  I do listen on my iPod/iPhone a lot, but typically listen on my mac.  I would be looking for something that was ok on my iPhone, but also could be amped and played through my computers/ record player.

My music tastes are:
35%% Indie rock/ Rock (bands such as The National, Sufjan Stevens, The XX, Radiohead, Animal Collective, etc.)
20% Singer Songwriter (Bon Iver, Jack Johnson, acoustic music guys, blah, blah)
20% Dubstep/ modern (LCD Soundsystem, Pretty Lights, SBTRKT, etc)
20%Intstrumental/ Jam Bands (DMB, Sigur Ros, Explosions in the Sky)
5% Hip Hop, R&B, & Jazz

I'm trying to stay under $400 for the headphones and amp, but can go up a little bit to get what would work best for me.  I would like a portable amp that I could take with to school and on the go, and maybe it would even work with my iPhone, iPad. I haven't really done any research on amps so any advice in that department would be great.

As for headphones, I have been looking into Grado's a lot and they seem to be a pretty balanced headphone that excels in rock, but I'm not sure if they would be good for the Dubstep like stuff.  I've mostly looked at the SR325is.  I've also been looking at some of the Sennheiser's, and on the expensive side for me the Denon AH A100.  I'm open to any and all suggestions though.

Thank you so much for any help.  This site is great and all of you seem so helpful.  I really appreciate it.

Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back