++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 3, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #8,821 of 29,490
Hi,

I desperately need a good pair of closed headphones for the office. Since I live in France, it's very hard to find where to try some of them. I mainly listen to metal (from heavy to prog to black/death) and prog rock, but I find myself loving to listen to good jazz and classical.

My current rig is e7/e9 > senn hd25 / superlux hd660
I love the punch, dynamics ans bass of the hd25, and the details of the hd660.

After days of reading, i've narrowed the choices to this list :
Beyer t5p => too bright for metal?
Beyer t70 => seem perfect but need recommandation
Sony z1000 => seem to sound like t70
AT A900 => listened to it, liked it, bit too much bass, something missing in clean/details area
AT w1000x => gorgeous, only read positive reviews, but: not for metal at all?
Fischer FA-003 => seem to be the kind of unknown but impressive ones. Read different things about bass amount (good vs lack some)
Pioneer hdj2000 => perfect all-rounder?

I could try denon d2000 (too much bass, no details), have hd650 which I very good, tried dt880 and T1 which I loved for details and balance.

Thank you very much in advance for your help and all the resources one this forum.

Cheers from Paris and la tour Eiffel,
Florent.

Nov 3, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #8,822 of 29,490

I need suggestions for a new pair of headphones, right now i'm using Ihome ib40b's( I didn't even know Ihome made headphones before i got these) i got them when my old pair went shot just so i could have something i could listen to music on. with Christmas coming up though I'm hoping to get some new pairs I'm looking for something in the 60$-100$  range since there's other things i want too.

If it helps narrow down a selection i listen to music like MGMT,foster the people, the rural alberta advantage, the killers and so on, i also like some more bassy music at times like infected mushroom

Nov 3, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #8,823 of 29,490
So, now I need help to narrow this down a bit!

Shure 440
Sony V6 (might have  too narrow soundstage?)
Senn HD555
Denon D1000/D1001
Koss Pro DJ100
AKG K240
Grados SR60i (Fit for the rock and shoegaze, but small soundstage?)

Listening style: I would like the sound to be on the neutral or slightly warmer side, a wide soundstage and they should be able to deliver crisp, detailed highs without stepping too far from the natural sound. My preferred style of music is very wide and includes IDM, classical piano, jazz, classic rock, indie rock, reggae, shoegaze and much more.

Please help me, and please explain why a pair is good or why it is not good for me.

Best regards,
Edvard

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #8,824 of 29,490

Quote:
I'd scratch all of those and go with the GMP450 PRO, even if a little above the budget.

I like the 940, but it is colored enough in the sound that it might not be the best monitor, and the meaty midbass of the 840 might cause you to compensate incorrectly in the final piece.  The GMP450 (I own the CharterOak SP-1 version, which is a custom version) is much flatter sounding and in my opinion has amazing texture and the fastest headphone drivers I've heard.  It has even been described as the fastest dynamic from people who own orthos.

I strongly recommend it.

I read Headfonia's review for the GMP 450 PRO and states "I honestly don’t know whom to recommend them to."

http://www.headfonia.com/trio-german-maestros-gmp-400-435s-450pro/

And recommends the Beyerdynamics and Superlux as monitoring headphones. Should I be looking into these brands for a studio monitor?

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #8,825 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi,

I desperately need a good pair of closed headphones for the office. Since I live in France, it's very hard to find where to try some of them. I mainly listen to metal (from heavy to prog to black/death) and prog rock, but I find myself loving to listen to good jazz and classical.

My current rig is e7/e9 > senn hd25 / superlux hd660
I love the punch, dynamics ans bass of the hd25, and the details of the hd660.

After days of reading, i've narrowed the choices to this list :
Beyer t5p => too bright for metal?
Beyer t70 => seem perfect but need recommandation
Sony z1000 => seem to sound like t70
AT A900 => listened to it, liked it, bit too much bass, something missing in clean/details area
AT w1000x => gorgeous, only read positive reviews, but: not for metal at all?
Fischer FA-003 => seem to be the kind of unknown but impressive ones. Read different things about bass amount (good vs lack some)
Pioneer hdj2000 => perfect all-rounder?

I could try denon d2000 (too much bass, no details), have hd650 which I very good, tried dt880 and T1 which I loved for details and balance.

Thank you very much in advance for your help and all the resources one this forum.

Cheers from Paris and la tour Eiffel,
Florent.

I would say cross off the Pioneer, Denon and Audio Technicas, they are a more laid back sound and not really an upgrade if you're looking for something with punch. Haven't heard the rest so I can't comment.

Quote:

I need suggestions for a new pair of headphones, right now i'm using Ihome ib40b's( I didn't even know Ihome made headphones before i got these) i got them when my old pair went shot just so i could have something i could listen to music on. with Christmas coming up though I'm hoping to get some new pairs I'm looking for something in the 60$-100$  range since there's other things i want too.

If it helps narrow down a selection i listen to music like MGMT,foster the people, the rural alberta advantage, the killers and so on, i also like some more bassy music at times like infected mushroom

Sony XB700 perhaps?

Quote:
So, now I need help to narrow this down a bit!

Shure 440
Sony V6 (might have  too narrow soundstage?)
Senn HD555
Denon D1000/D1001
Koss Pro DJ100
AKG K240
Grados SR60i (Fit for the rock and shoegaze, but small soundstage?)

Listening style: I would like the sound to be on the neutral or slightly warmer side, a wide soundstage and they should be able to deliver crisp, detailed highs without stepping too far from the natural sound. My preferred style of music is very wide and includes IDM, classical piano, jazz, classic rock, indie rock, reggae, shoegaze and much more.

Please help me, and please explain why a pair is good or why it is not good for me.

Best regards,
Edvard

Shure 440: good balanced sound, decent isolation
Sony V6: a bit more bass, treble and isolation, and more durable compared to the 440, maybe not as comfortable though
Senn 555: mild midbass tilt, good stage, no isolation, not portable
K240: even stronger midbass tilt, even bigger in size, maybe better stage, wants amping, no isolation, not portable
SR60: soundstage is very in your face, so is the sound, possibly louder on the outside than in

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #8,826 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi guys,
 planning to buy bayerdynamic dt 770 headphones. which one of the 32ohm or 80 ohm version is better when listening from an ipod. Also can i drive 250ohm version through an ipod or do i need an amplifier.
Thanks in advance....cheers!!!

I thought DT770/80 were a disaster without serious amplification (wobbly bass, screechy highs).  Haven't tried the 250 ohm, can't help you on those.

Nov 3, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #8,827 of 29,490

Quote:

Shure 440: good balanced sound, decent isolation
Sony V6: a bit more bass, treble and isolation, and more durable compared to the 440, maybe not as comfortable though
Senn 555: mild midbass tilt, good stage, no isolation, not portable
K240: even stronger midbass tilt, even bigger in size, maybe better stage, wants amping, no isolation, not portable
SR60: soundstage is very in your face, so is the sound, possibly louder on the outside than in

Thanks for the input! Isolation does not matter, nor does portability since this is going to be for listening at home. If we stop caring about those two think, in what order would you grade these? Also, which benefit from amping? Further, will all of these fit my genres+listening styles?

Cheers,
Edvard

Nov 3, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #8,828 of 29,490
I read Headfonia's review for the GMP 450 PRO and states "I honestly don’t know whom to recommend them to."

http://www.headfonia.com/trio-german-maestros-gmp-400-435s-450pro/

And recommends the Beyerdynamics and Superlux as monitoring headphones. Should I be looking into these brands for a studio monitor?

I have read that review and disagreed with some parts of it. Other owners of the 450 have also disagreed with it. I happen to disagree with a lot of it, but ky SP1 might sound differently than the 450... maybe even substantially different (although not likely).
I'll rephrase and recommend the Sp1. It is a little rare but I think I saw one for sale recently

Nov 3, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #8,829 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks for the input! Isolation does not matter, nor does portability since this is going to be for listening at home. If we stop caring about those two think, in what order would you grade these? Also, which benefit from amping? Further, will all of these fit my genres+listening styles?

Cheers,
Edvard

I would perhaps choose the K240. Good all rounder for all genres.

Nov 3, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #8,830 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi guys,
 planning to buy bayerdynamic dt 770 headphones. which one of the 32ohm or 80 ohm version is better when listening from an ipod. Also can i drive 250ohm version through an ipod or do i need an amplifier.
Thanks in advance....cheers!!!

The DT-770 Pro 80-Ohm has the most bass, the DT-770 "Premium" 32-Ohm has the least bass (but still good)
I would "guess" the IPod can decently power the 80-Ohm.
The Premiums have a lighter clamping force compared to the Pros.

If you like full bass, get the Pro 80-Ohm and with the money you save over the Premium 32-Ohm, buy a portable headphone amplifier.

Nov 4, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #8,832 of 29,490

Quote:
Okay, how's the comfort? This is very important for me. Will they benefit from amping when I drive them with my Clip+?

I do find them quite comfortable, and they definitely benefit from amping.

Nov 4, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #8,834 of 29,490
E9 drives the HD600 and DT880 Pro fine.

Nov 4, 2011 at 4:08 AM Post #8,835 of 29,490
Hello, I'm kinda new here. I'm looking to upgrade a bit from the m50s I have now. I listen to mostly Drum and Bass, some dubstep, electro, Rock, Hard Rock. My budget is around $250-300. I'll be listening through my iPod Touch mostly. I was thinking something like the Beyerdynamic DT 770, Or maybe the Ultrasone PRO 650. Also since I would be using my iPod mostly, would these require a portable amp? Would something like the FiiO E11 work well? Also one more thing, Beyerdynamic DT 770, Would the 80 ohm be to hard to drive from an iPod Touch or would the 32 ohm be better? Thanks
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back