++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 31, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #8,731 of 29,490
Hi Guys. I would really appreciate narrowing down my choices after doing a long dedicated research with too many options in my hand.

I am looking for a Gaming headset to be used for FPS gaming and listening to some electronic music.

I mostly play: Battlefield 3 and Bad Company 2 -  Call of Duty Series - and other modern shooters.

My platform:

HP Pavilion DV6-6096 Laptop
Soundcard: On-board IDT High definition with BEATS Audio Technology.
Sound input: Three 3.5mm jacks and USB 3.0 inputs.

Requirements listed according to priority:

1) Positioning of in-game enemies in terms of DIRECTION(as close as 360 degrees and not just left and right)+DISTANCE. Distinguishing footsteps. (Similar to the AD700 experience)
2) Immersion in terms of sound clarity and detail level, richness of explosions and bullet sounds, and hearing sounds i couldn't hear before.
3) Plug and play: The Headset should be full functional when plugged to my built in sound card on my laptop. I dont mind buying a USB sound card that supports Dolby Surround if you name me one. (Do i need it?)

So I'm looking for a compromise between excellent in-game positioning (and 3D audio mapping) and a high quality bass rich sound in one headset.

Budget: Between 40 and 80 dollars max including shipping. I live in France. Dont worry about that, i just need the name of the One headset.

Narrowed down list: People on this forum suggested to similar users to get the:

1) Samson SR850: 50mm drivers. up to 30KHz response. Users on Head-fi claim it to have an excellent soundstage and detail level almost similar to the AD700 AND it offers better bass. But it lacks long term comfort. I am not sure about how well it performs in positioning the enemy (direction+distance); if this happens to be also covered decently by the SR850 then i am going for it. 49 Euros

2)JVC HA-RX700 (plus modding?): a good bang for the buck! Anyone can give more insight on its performance in FPS games?comes with 50mm drivers. 41 Euros

3) Shure SRH440: 40mm drivers, up to 22KHz response.Recommended by a forum member. More Expensive: 75 Euros.

A general rule of thumb was that I should get a Headset that has a good neutral bass which i can lower down for better in-game positioning rather than a headset with little or no bass which provides synthetic quality audio if I am to manually increase its bass. (like the AD700).

My list of candidates before coming to this forum:

4) Corsair HS1 USB: also offers 5.1 Surround, can perceive sounds from the sides but Not quite well from front and rear. It beats the Creative tactic3D sigma Headset (Stereo) in gaming due to its surround features. 76.9 Euros

5) Creative Draco HS-850 Gaming Headset: 0-20KHz ,  40mm. It has a 40% discount and claims to offer great directional positioning. Not high end. On sale @24 Euros down from 49.

6) Atari Live Gaming headset: low impedance, microphone freq response up to 16KHz, looks cool :p but no reviews. On sale @ 23 Euros down from 40

Based on your experience with any of those in the list, please help me choose one of those to match my requirements listed above. I am not sure if i need a true 5.1 Surround Headset for better positioning, feedback on this forum related to this subject got me confused.

Thank you.

Oct 31, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #8,732 of 29,490
Thanks so much for everyones advice up to now, Cannot thank you all enough. Saved me buying Dre Beats haha. To sum up, Was looking for on ear closed headphones with little leak for commuting for use only with an iPhone i'm afraid, Wide range of music.

Im thinking of committing for the Senn's HD380, Looked at Shure SRH 940, T50p's and a few others but I think the HD380s might be the ones. My last point is, Am I right?! Or am I missing out on a great set of Headphones with this purchase?! My only concern is, Do the HD380s leak and Ive heard of issues with the cable, as I will be wearing this whilst walking will that affect the sound?

I apologise about the ambiguity of my statement and my naivity, Im placing my trust and money in your hands haha!

Oct 31, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #8,733 of 29,490

Quote:
What program should I use for this? Thank you very much for the reply.

I use my software's build in EQ.

Quote:
Hello everyone. Im looking to upgrade my sennheiser HD280 Pros. My price range in under 300 dollars. I listen to mostly rock from my pc through an Asus Xonar. Ive spent a few hours searching the forums and im leaning towards the AKG k702. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

The K702 is a fine choice, but be aware that it is an open headphone so will provide no isolation and will leak quite a bit, which is quite the opposite of your HD280.

Quote:
I hope you can help me guys.

Im currently using a dt770 250ohms premium edition 2005.

But im looking for something else with alot more bass and generally better sound.

I think the best for me would be the ultrasone 900 pro or the denon ad-h2000 (maybe 5000 if its worth it?)

But im really unsure what i should choose, its alot of money for me so i don´t like paying out for something i don´t gonna use.

So what would you choose? And what amp would you use for it as a next upgrade?

If you think there is a better upgrade for me at this price range (400 euros max, the denon ad-h2000 is 200 euros) im more than happy to hear about them :)

Short of going into orthos, those two would be the way to go. There's also the XB1000, though reviews seem mixed on that one.

Quote:
But the RS160 RF sending unit can be powered by AA or AAA batteries, doesn't it?

Even if it were, do you really want to lug around a sending unit?

Quote:
Hello all !

I'm making my first steps in the audiophile hobby so don't judge me to harsh if you find question to be dumb. I currently own a pair of RP-21s but I'm thinking of an upgrade.What I need is closed, very comfy headphone with rich and detailed sound.It will be used mainly with a Sansa player and I don't like to carry amps in my pocket :) Two Ultrasone models caught my attention - the DJ1 Pros and the 900 Pros. My first question is if it is worth it to upgrade form the RP-21s to DJ1 Pros(will I find any noticeable difference)? Second question is - are the 900 pros worth the ~350 bucks ? For me (I'm a student), it's a lot money for a pair of headphones, but if it's really worth it, I'm willing to pay the price.

Thank you !

P.S. The forum is lovely, keep up the good work guys !

It's all diminishing returns in this hobby. Pick a budget and stick to it; don't let us talk you into an upgrade because it will never end and "just a little bit more" will have you wind up with gear costing more than your tuition.

I was personally not too fond of the DJ1, but maybe consider the Pro650/750. 

Quote:
Hi Guys. I would really appreciate narrowing down my choices after doing a long dedicated research with too many options in my hand.

I am looking for a Gaming headset to be used for FPS gaming and listening to some electronic music.

Or how about a Sony V6 or Shure 440?

Quote:
Thanks so much for everyones advice up to now, Cannot thank you all enough. Saved me buying Dre Beats haha. To sum up, Was looking for on ear closed headphones with little leak for commuting for use only with an iPhone i'm afraid, Wide range of music.

Im thinking of committing for the Senn's HD380, Looked at Shure SRH 940, T50p's and a few others but I think the HD380s might be the ones. My last point is, Am I right?! Or am I missing out on a great set of Headphones with this purchase?! My only concern is, Do the HD380s leak and Ive heard of issues with the cable, as I will be wearing this whilst walking will that affect the sound?

I apologise about the ambiguity of my statement and my naivity, Im placing my trust and money in your hands haha!

The HD280/380 have some of the highest isolation in full sized headphones I've heard (or rather, not heard). Leakage should not be an issue unless you're blasting at deafening volumes. The cables should be fine as well as long as you don't mangle them and coil them properly.

Oct 31, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #8,734 of 29,490

Quote:
Or how about a Sony V6 or Shure 440?

These have 40mm drivers instead of 50mm as in the Samson SR850 or JVC RX700 or Panasonic HTF600. Plus the frequency response of the Samson SR850 is up to 30KHz. Add to that, the Samson, Panasonic and JVC cans are cheaper by more than 20 euros than the Sony V6 or the Shure 440.

More insight how can these 2 suggestions better fit my in-game directional sound + immersion requirements is appreciated.

Oct 31, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #8,735 of 29,490

Quote:
It's all diminishing returns in this hobby. Pick a budget and stick to it; don't let us talk you into an upgrade because it will never end and "just a little bit more" will have you wind up with gear costing more than your tuition.

I was personally not too fond of the DJ1, but maybe consider the Pro650/750. 

Gee, thanks...

Oct 31, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #8,736 of 29,490

Quote:

These have 40mm drivers instead of 50mm as in the Samson SR850 or JVC RX700 or Panasonic HTF600. Plus the frequency response of the Samson SR850 is up to 30KHz. Add to that, the Samson, Panasonic and JVC cans are cheaper by more than 20 euros than the Sony V6 or the Shure 440.

More insight how can these 2 suggestions better fit my in-game directional sound + immersion requirements is appreciated.

Driver size is not necessarily an indicator of performance. Frequency response up to 30kHz is also meaningless as the human ear only goes to 20kHz and most recording equipment only goes up that high as well.

I haven't heard any of the options you've listed. I can only recommend those that I have heard or know the family well enough to comment.

Quote:
Gee, thanks...

I gave you some reasonably priced options to look at that I have personally heard and feel are good value. What more do you want?

Oct 31, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #8,737 of 29,490
Listing models is nice but I don't find it to be very helpful. Now that I know you've heard them, I can ask for nothing more. Thanks ! Still it will be great if you can include what you like about them.
Do you happen to have any thoughts on the 900s ? 

Thank you,

Oct 31, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #8,738 of 29,490

Quote:
Listing models is nice but I don't find it to be very helpful. Now that I know you've heard them, I can ask for nothing more. Thanks ! Still it will be great if you can include what you like about them.
Do you happen to have any thoughts on the 900s ? 

Thank you,

I haven't heard the 900, but I've heard the Pro 550, 650, and owned the 750. They basically just got more V-shaped as you went up, and from what I've read of the 900 the trend simply continues.

You wanted closed and comfy, and the Ultrasones are decent for that (they all pretty much share the same chassis). As for "rich and detailed", that's hard to quantify. I found the 750 verging on too bassy and drowning out detail, which is why I suggested the 650. Sticking with Ultrasone, you could also look at the HFi780 which is considered one of the better balanced ones of the bunch.

edit: typo, meant to suggest the 650 not the 750

Oct 31, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #8,739 of 29,490
I'm looking for some good mid level closed headphones, under $400.  (I listen to just about every genre but mostly stuff like Phoenix, and Ra Ra Riot.)  I currently own a fiios e10 dac+amp, and would be willing to pay for another amp as long as its under $200.  Thanks for your time.  (Friend suggests Denon ah d2000, since they're apparently rather easy to drive, but I've never heard/used 'em so I don't know)

Oct 31, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #8,740 of 29,490
Thank you so much for the update - really makes a difference! I'll take closer look of the HiFi780. I'm not stuck on the Ultrasones - it's just that I heard some good things about them here and there. Last question :) - what would you consider to be the right choice for closed can around the $300 price range ?

Thank you and Happy Halloween,

Oct 31, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #8,741 of 29,490

Quote:

Go with the Panasonics. The Samsons are UNcomfortable. They're clones of the Superlux 681's and very bassy as well.  For anything short of a fully open set, the Panny's soundstage is very good.  I'd say it's as good, or better than the 668B's which should be at least as good as the 681 or Sampsons.  Plus, you can get velours for the Pannys that'll open them up a bit more and are comfy for gaming.

Honestly, for what you want as far as gaming, I'd recommend Senn HD555's.  The price has been dropping and Amazon had them recently for <$70USD.  Otherwise, go with the Panasonics.

Oct 31, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #8,742 of 29,490

Quote:

Go with the Panasonics. The Samsons are UNcomfortable. They're clones of the Superlux 681's and very bassy as well.  For anything short of a fully open set, the Panny's soundstage is very good.  I'd say it's as good, or better than the 668B's which should be at least as good as the 681 or Sampsons.  Plus, you can get velours for the Pannys that'll open them up a bit more and are comfy for gaming.

Honestly, for what you want as far as gaming, I'd recommend Senn HD555's.  The price has been dropping and Amazon had them recently for <$70USD.  Otherwise, go with the Panasonics.

Thanks for the input, sailorman.

But i heard people on this forum saying the Samson SR850 is better than the Panasonic HTF600 (they tried both) as far as gaming is concerned; however i do agree with you about the level of comfort. Based on Gaming performance, Panasonic HTF600 comes 2nd, according to them. If i still had it opened i would have linked you the posts!

And i am not sure about Samson's being very bassy? This post here says it has lower bass than the JVC HA-RX700 which in turn has low bass generally speaking.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/554971/jvc-ha-rx700-or-samson-sr850#post_7486793

As for the HD555, I live in France and both ebay.fr and amazon.fr have it listed at around $150 !! (around 108 Euros)

I'm going to cry soon.

Nov 1, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #8,743 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm looking for some good mid level closed headphones, under $400.  (I listen to just about every genre but mostly stuff like Phoenix, and Ra Ra Riot.)  I currently own a fiios e10 dac+amp, and would be willing to pay for another amp as long as its under $200.  Thanks for your time.  (Friend suggests Denon ah d2000, since they're apparently rather easy to drive, but I've never heard/used 'em so I don't know)

You could probably find a used D5000 or Audio Technica W1000x in that price range too. Both are easy to drive and don't need a big amp behind them.

Quote:
Thank you so much for the update - really makes a difference! I'll take closer look of the HiFi780. I'm not stuck on the Ultrasones - it's just that I heard some good things about them here and there. Last question :) - what would you consider to be the right choice for closed can around the $300 price range ?

Thank you and Happy Halloween,

Some others full sized comfy headphones I like in that price range: Pioneer HDJ-2000, Phiaton PS500, Denon D2000 (you might even find a used D5000 within budget), maybe the Shure 940 (I really liked the 840, the 940 is reportedly more balanced and detailed)

Nov 1, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #8,744 of 29,490
     Quote:
It's tough to even find the M50 in that price bracket range these days. Make sure they are authentic.

Another closed portable to consider is the Senn HD280, which is the absolute king of isolation in it's price range (and beyond actually) in full sized cans.

Thank you for the warning. I was originally going to order the ATH-M50 from http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/ATH-M50.
Is this website reliable? They're an authorized reseller according to the official Audio-Technica site.
EDIT: Also, I'm wondering if this would be a good deal or not. It says $159, but shoppers can use an instant $50 off coupon when ordering online, making it only $109 (not including s/h).

Aha, thank you for the suggestion. I don't actually move around too much, nor do I use public transportation very often, so I am personally not too picky when it comes to isolation. It's always a great thing to have, though
wink.gif

Quote:
It's mostly made of aluminum (DJ100) and is fairly durable. Neither is excellent, but I'd honestly give it to the M50. It's plastic, but it's a good chunk of plastic. 

Sound wise DJ100 outdoes the M50 in every way I think. A little less bass but it sounds nicer and the mids destroy the M50's. So...The DJ100 sounds better unamped and amped. 
tongue.gif

Wait, neither is excellent?! I thought they were both built like tanks, haha.
Wow. Quick question: why is the M50 so popular if the DJ100 is apparently both cheaper and better in almost all aspects?
I hate to admit it but I'm sort of in a "too-good-to-be-true" mentality right now. I wish I could compare and listen to them in person...

Nov 1, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #8,745 of 29,490
Compared to the TMA-1 and HD 25-1 II I think almost every headphone is fragile. lol

I'm honestly not sure why the M50 is popular...I didn't like it very much. 

Quote:
Wait, neither is excellent?! I thought they were both built like tanks, haha.
Wow. Quick question: why is the M50 so popular if the DJ100 is apparently both cheaper and better in almost all aspects?
I hate to admit it but I'm sort of in a "too-good-to-be-true" mentality right now. I wish I could compare and listen to them in person...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back