++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 30, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #8,701 of 29,490
Hey guys,
I'm looking for new phones for mainly commuting purposes. So portability is a must. I'm thinking about es10, beyer dt1350, HD25 or IEMs like westone 4? I listen to mostly rock, indie, jazz, little bit of dubstep... I'm not that worried about the cost but the sound and value of the cans. What would you guys recommend and why? Thanks

Oct 30, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #8,702 of 29,490
HD 25-1 II or ES 10. They're both great cans and would suit you. The ES10 is a cut above but is twice the price and tough to find now. 

The 25-1 II represent a great value for an all-rounder though I'd consider the ESW9 as well. I think it'd work better for Jazz and just as well for everything else but DubStep. 

I'm not an IEM kind of guy, so I won't recommend any. 

Quote:
Hey guys,
I'm looking for new phones for mainly commuting purposes. So portability is a must. I'm thinking about es10, beyer dt1350, HD25 or IEMs like westone 4? I listen to mostly rock, indie, jazz, little bit of dubstep... I'm not that worried about the cost but the sound and value of the cans. What would you guys recommend and why? Thanks

Oct 30, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #8,704 of 29,490

Quote:
If you're outdoors and on a subway, you will want very strong noise isolation and reasonably durable construction and portability. The Senn HD280/380 should fit these criteria. The HD25-1-ii is also a good choice, but that one sits on the ear rather than around.

Would a Sennheiser HD598 for 143€ be a good option? Does it worth over the HD380 for 92€? the RS 160 haves the same quality (in construction , isolation, and sound)?  

by the way, open circumaural means that doesn't isolate from noise, and closed circumaural means that isolate from noise?

Oct 30, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #8,705 of 29,490
Closed: Isolates noise, soundstage and separation suffers
Open: Little to no isolation, Soundstage and separation are often better
Circum: Around the ear
Supra: On the ear

Quote:

Would a Sennheiser HD598 for 143€ be a good option? Does it worth over the HD380 for 92€? the RS 160 haves the same quality (in construction , isolation, and sound)?  

by the way, open circumaural means that doesn't isolate from noise, and closed circumaural means that isolate from noise?

Oct 30, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #8,707 of 29,490
HD 598 a little closer to Christmas. Worth the wait.

I'll mirror the recommendation of a Senn, or maybe a Phiaton if you don't mind closed.

I hate sounding like the average Beats/Skullcandy buyer but the 598 has got to be one of the ugliest things I've ever seen.

Regardless of how ugly I think they are, I've been considering Senn for awhile now, but I have no way of demoing a pair to say one way or another whether I'd like the sound change from my prior experiences. It seems to be about what I'm looking for though.

Oct 30, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #8,708 of 29,490

Quote:

Um - forget the RS160 - it's for home listening only.  We have one for my wife for TV watching.  It has a mains powered RF sending unit.  Can't see you using that outdoors
wink.gif

Open circumaural = surrounds the ears, but open back - so sound leaks both ways.
Closed circumaural = surrounds the ears, but closed back - so there is a measure of isolation both ways.

HD598 is open, and will be no good for isolation.

Oct 30, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #8,709 of 29,490

Quote:
Closed: Isolates noise, soundstage and separation suffers
Open: Little to no isolation, Soundstage and separation are often better
Circum: Around the ear
Supra: On the ear

To add on to that, closed heaphones also generally tend to have a stronger bass and longer decay times and somewhat spikier treble response.

Supra aural headphones *generally* have better isolation than circumaural, but the HD280/380 are notable exceptions to that trend.

Quote:
Ok So question. What would be the best headphones for me to get out of these three: ATHM50S, ATHM40s or Fostex T50RP's?

For the average consumer, the M50 would be the better choice.

Quote:
I hate sounding like the average Beats/Skullcandy buyer but the 598 has got to be one of the ugliest things I've ever seen.
Regardless of how ugly I think they are, I've been considering Senn for awhile now, but I have no way of demoing a pair to say one way or another whether I'd like the sound change from my prior experiences. It seems to be about what I'm looking for though.

There's the 558 which is a more typical colour.

Oct 30, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #8,710 of 29,490
You could pick up the D2000 for $230 brand new.

Quote:
Do you have a decent amp for the 600? If not the 598 is easier to drive and sounds great as well. Also if you want flat response looking into a DT880 of some sort, though some find them boring. 

Both will be a major step up in comfort...You may be able to find a used D2000 for that price, too if you're lucky. They're the absolute king on comfort headphone wise.

Oct 30, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #8,711 of 29,490
But with closed design...maybe i hear my own steps....that's annoying. And once i saw that an open design is more "healthy" because of sound coming from outside instead of inside (or maybe they were talking about ear-in design, i can't remember), and the sound sensation is better.

What is more healthy for the ears? closed design? open design?
Would i hear my own steps with a closed design?
What gives better audio experience? closed or open?
What is more comfortable? a "entire ear cover" design or a "partial ear cover" design?
Every Sennheiser from audiophile series (from HD 515 to HD 800) has "open design"?
What headphones would you recommend with closed design, and maximum price near 160€?

thanks 

Oct 30, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #8,712 of 29,490
Well I thought those cans might isolate better than on-ear open headphones because these are full sized. I'm not fussed about leakage, I need something that I can use outside/in loud environments though. Jude also has a PX360 and HD448 review from his sig, and he's compared them, and I think you're paying for the design with the PX360 as I said earlier. I don't know what I should get.

Oct 31, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #8,713 of 29,490

Quote:
But with closed design...maybe i hear my own steps....that's annoying. And once i saw that an open design is more "healthy" because of sound coming from outside instead of inside (or maybe they were talking about ear-in design, i can't remember), and the sound sensation is better.

What is more healthy for the ears? closed design? open design?
Would i hear my own steps with a closed design?
What gives better audio experience? closed or open?
What is more comfortable? a "entire ear cover" design or a "partial ear cover" design?
Every Sennheiser from audiophile series (from HD 515 to HD 800) has "open design"?
What headphones would you recommend with closed design, and maximum price near 160€?

thanks 

1. Technically open, but if you keep to moderate volumes it shouldn't make a difference
2. it depends on the headphone construction
3. it once again depends on the individual headphone and music genres, but in general closed will give you better bass response and open gives you better soundstage
4. and again, it depends on the individual headphone design and your own personal preferences... in general, people will find over ear more comfortable
5. as far as I know, all the Senns from HD5xx and 6xx and 800 are open.
6. if you can find it on sale, Denon D2000

Do yourself a favour and just head down to a music/guitar/electronic shop and try out a few headphones to give yourself an idea of how different styles and shapes and brands all feel.

Quote:
Well I thought those cans might isolate better than on-ear open headphones because these are full sized. I'm not fussed about leakage, I need something that I can use outside/in loud environments though. Jude also has a PX360 and HD448 review from his sig, and he's compared them, and I think you're paying for the design with the PX360 as I said earlier. I don't know what I should get.

The simple solution is to buy both
biggrin.gif

Oct 31, 2011 at 2:53 AM Post #8,715 of 29,490

Quote:
hello can you help me  compare ad900 vs hd598  how they different ? thank you

My 1.99 cents.
I own the AD700s and HD-558s, so I have zero experience with your models.
But, from "reputation" the AD900 do better with the cheaper unamped portable devices over the HD-598.
The HD-598s might show bigger improving with a headphone amplifier over the AD900s.
My HD-558 offers more bass then my AD700s, might be the same with the AD900 vs.HD598.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back