++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 31, 2011 at 3:36 AM Post #8,716 of 29,490

Quote:
Well I thought those cans might isolate better than on-ear open headphones because these are full sized. I'm not fussed about leakage, I need something that I can use outside/in loud environments though. Jude also has a PX360 and HD448 review from his sig, and he's compared them, and I think you're paying for the design with the PX360 as I said earlier. I don't know what I should get.

Hmm I might have to disagree with this on a few points.. and this is coming from someone who owned both and sent the PX360 packing because I preferred the sound signature of the HD448.

Their sounds are very different, and their functional physical traits are different.  The PX360 folds, is lighter weight, and isolates better (this is probably why I think it is easier to drive).

The 448 is rich in the mids and laid back while failing miserably at bass texture (unamped).. although the quantity is just fine.  The highs are also very tamed/rolled off.

The PX360 really hits hard in the sub bass, has drier, more recessed mids in comparison with a hike in the treble... giving it a very specific sparkle.

So yes, I do agree you are paying for the solid design of the PX360 over the HD448, but I think the sound signatures are very different... it isn't just physical attributes that differ

Oct 31, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #8,717 of 29,490

Quote:
My 1.99 cents.
I own the AD700s and HD-558s, so I have zero experience with your models.
But, from "reputation" the AD900 do better with the cheaper unamped portable devices over the HD-598.
The HD-598s might show bigger improving with a headphone amplifier over the AD900s.
My HD-558 offers more bass then my AD700s, might be the same with the AD900 vs.HD598.

thanks PurpleAngel. may i ask you :
is HD558 similar to Ad700 except bass-enhanced ? 
soundstage and mids of them are similar, right ? 
thank you very much 

Oct 31, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #8,718 of 29,490

Quote:
thanks PurpleAngel. may i ask you :
is HD558 similar to Ad700 except bass-enhanced ? 
soundstage and mids of them are similar, right ? 
thank you very much 

I have no idea on the sound stage.
As have not really used the AD700s more then a few hours in the past year.
So they are buried under something, somewhere.
So I can not directly compare the HD-558 with the AD700s currently.
Currently, my Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 250-Ohm are my best cans.
But using the HD-558s is the second best.
I just tried my HD-558s with several different music files (like 1812 Overtune) and movies (like Blade2).
Everything sounded really good, nice details in movies.
Had to use the 3.5mm front headphone jack, as the rear 6.35mm jack has stopped work.
Must have something to do with the LME49860NA op-amp I put in the buffer socket today.

I would rather use my $33 Panasonic RP-HTF600-S (nice bass), with Velour ($25) pads
over my AD700s.

Oct 31, 2011 at 5:37 AM Post #8,719 of 29,490
Can anyone compare akg q 460 and audio technica ws 55? I tried q 460 and senn px 200-ll(which I didn't l,ke at all) with mu Ipod touch in weekend at Satürn.I really like q 460's sound,it's exactly what I was looking for.But it was 195-165$ at the store here,too expensive for me.I can buy online maybe from Amazon,but it'll be out of my budget again.So could ath  ws 55 be an option?

Oct 31, 2011 at 6:29 AM Post #8,720 of 29,490
I'm wondering something, if anyone knows..

I'm a gamer right, and I was looking into getting a pair of gaming headphones, I was looking at the AD700's or the HARX900's, but I already own the M50's, would it not do anything for me to upgrade to say the AD700's? Or would it boost my gaming experience?

Oct 31, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #8,721 of 29,490
Hi everyone, I was wondering what headphone I should get in the 200-300 dollar range that would pair well with the CKKIII I have collecting dust in my room. Ive heard that Senns have good synergy with this amp but wanted to know if something like a DT880 or another can would do well with this amp. Listening to mostly progressive rock, jazz, and a little bit of hip hop.

Oct 31, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #8,722 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm wondering something, if anyone knows..

I'm a gamer right, and I was looking into getting a pair of gaming headphones, I was looking at the AD700's or the HARX900's, but I already own the M50's, would it not do anything for me to upgrade to say the AD700's? Or would it boost my gaming experience?

While the AD700 is generally considered a very good buy for gamers, try this first: Take the M50 and turn down the bass by 3-6 dB, then up the 200-2000Hz region by the same.

Quote:
Hi everyone, I was wondering what headphone I should get in the 200-300 dollar range that would pair well with the CKKIII I have collecting dust in my room. Ive heard that Senns have good synergy with this amp but wanted to know if something like a DT880 or another can would do well with this amp. Listening to mostly progressive rock, jazz, and a little bit of hip hop.

The DT880 is a great all-rounder, and loves to have some juice behind it.

Oct 31, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #8,724 of 29,490
Hello everyone. Im looking to upgrade my sennheiser HD280 Pros. My price range in under 300 dollars. I listen to mostly rock from my pc through an Asus Xonar. Ive spent a few hours searching the forums and im leaning towards the AKG k702. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Oct 31, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #8,725 of 29,490
I hope you can help me guys.

Im currently using a dt770 250ohms premium edition 2005.

But im looking for something else with alot more bass and generally better sound.

I think the best for me would be the ultrasone 900 pro or the denon ad-h2000 (maybe 5000 if its worth it?)

But im really unsure what i should choose, its alot of money for me so i don´t like paying out for something i don´t gonna use.

So what would you choose? And what amp would you use for it as a next upgrade?

If you think there is a better upgrade for me at this price range (400 euros max, the denon ad-h2000 is 200 euros) im more than happy to hear about them :)

Oct 31, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #8,726 of 29,490
Well, I ended up going for the HD600s, which I got refurbished from Amazon for $220 and paid the extra $4 for overnight shipping (love Amazon Prime...so much). Giving them a listen, this may be the new headphone jitters talking but these things are incredible. Every frequency seems to be in perfect balance with everything else. It has a very euphonic sort of sound that I fell in love with as soon as I listened to them. Very impressed so far. Well worth the investment. I think these will ease my upgradeitis for quite some time.
dt880smile.png

Oct 31, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #8,727 of 29,490

Quote:
Um - forget the RS160 - it's for home listening only.  We have one for my wife for TV watching.  It has a mains powered RF sending unit.  Can't see you using that outdoors
wink.gif

Open circumaural = surrounds the ears, but open back - so sound leaks both ways.
Closed circumaural = surrounds the ears, but closed back - so there is a measure of isolation both ways.

HD598 is open, and will be no good for isolation.

But the RS160 RF sending unit can be powered by AA or AAA batteries, doesn't it?

Oct 31, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #8,728 of 29,490
Hello all !

I'm making my first steps in the audiophile hobby so don't judge me to harsh if you find question to be dumb. I currently own a pair of RP-21s but I'm thinking of an upgrade.What I need is closed, very comfy headphone with rich and detailed sound.It will be used mainly with a Sansa player and I don't like to carry amps in my pocket :) Two Ultrasone models caught my attention - the DJ1 Pros and the 900 Pros. My first question is if it is worth it to upgrade form the RP-21s to DJ1 Pros(will I find any noticeable difference)? Second question is - are the 900 pros worth the ~350 bucks ? For me (I'm a student), it's a lot money for a pair of headphones, but if it's really worth it, I'm willing to pay the price.

Thank you !

P.S. The forum is lovely, keep up the good work guys !

Oct 31, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #8,729 of 29,490

Quote:
But the RS160 RF sending unit can be powered by AA or AAA batteries, doesn't it?

Actually - don't know - will have to check tonight.  We just use ours powered off the mains.  Do you really want to be lugging around the sender unit though?  It's simply not meant to be a portable unit.  I would never contemplate taking ours - it's just too bulky.  To be honest, I don't know how well they'd isolate either ......

For outdoors and subway (noisy) - I'd recommend IEMs.  It's all I ever use for outdoors - discrete, great sounding, great isolation.  Save your full size cans for home use.  If you really want isolating portable cans - the recommendations Armaegis gave you are where you should be looking (Senn HD280/380 or on-ear HD25-1ii).  If you really want good wireless and have a bluetooth capable player, Jude reviewed the Sennheiser MM450 (http://www.head-fi.org/t/557750/head-fi-tv-episode-007-sennheiser-mm-450-travel-and-the-wowee-one-for-the-traveling-head-fiers) - you'll need a much bigger budget though.

Oct 31, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #8,730 of 29,490
Time to get some sennheiser  HD 650's and fiio e7+e9 combo amp.
I had some HD 555's awhile back and they could pump real loud on my computer with just an e5 with good sound so I'm just getting this off of impulse.
Heh, I may be an idiot for doing this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back