++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 18, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #8,281 of 29,490

Koss ProDJ100 or XB500/700.

I love the XB series and they do bass very well. The Koss cans are more balanced and probably a better all rounder but are no slouch for EDM either. All 3 should be in your price range.

Quote:
Hy,

I went to shop today to see what kind of headphones they got. I found 2 that seemed legal. First one is the Phillips SHL9560, but I read that they have noise reduction system built in that also reduces the sound quality (it wasn't written on the box so I'm not too sure about that). Second ones were Sony MDR-XB500. They seem decent though XB700 seems better. But I know little about headphones and audio technology so I hope that you will give me some advice. Is ether of them a good choice ?

As told I don't know much about headphones, but if I'm going to buy ones that cost around 100euro (my budget) then they should be good ones, as 100euros is a lot of money for me :D and am going to need a lot of it in the winter :frowning2:.  Anyhow these are the specs that are important to me:
a) Good bass, love the bass.
b)Sound quality. Haven't had fancy headphones before but read that you can hear sounds that you couldn't before, definitely a thing that I'm willing to pay a extra puck.
c)Looks. I like headphones like the Sony ones I found. Don't like plastic- metal, leather is the way to go.
d)No gadgets like microphone, or a toaster. Yes, a joke...

Would like "on the ear" (?) headphones. That doesn't let sound in or out. The bigger the better :D

If it helps any, then I mostly listen to music that have no to little words, like trance, dnb, "chillout", classical, blues/jazz like music.

Thanks for any tips and advice :)

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #8,282 of 29,490

Quote:
i am torn between the KRK KNS6400 and the ATH A700. i need a bit of advice please.

A700: airy midfocused sound, high on comfort, isolation lousy
6400: more balanced, better isolation

Quote:
Hey,

Asked about headphone choice earlier and I'm currently leaning towards getting the HD600's. Wondering if an Asus Xonar Essence XTS is good enough for it? I never owned a headphone amp, a good soundcard or anything so I am really clueless. I would prefer not to bottleneck my sound if at all possible.

The STX has a big headphone amp chip in it which should be enough for most anything short of orthos.

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #8,283 of 29,490
I think my post got lost.  I was wondering if there are any DT770 users in this thread.  I just ordered a pair of the 32Ohm version based on a recommendation earlier in this thread. I'm wondering what I can expect for volume level straight out of my iPhone?  Am I going to need to get an amp right away just to have acceptable volume level or will I be OK to hold off on the amp for a while?

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #8,284 of 29,490
Just try it first before spending more money. The 770 has very good isolation so should let you listen at lower volumes to begin with.

Oct 18, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #8,285 of 29,490
Thanks.  I have some other ideas about where I want to go with the setup so I definitely don't want to jump into a bunch of gear. I already kind of did that.  A month ago I bought some AKG K271MKii and a Fii0 E7.  Some lucky member here just got a great deal on them because I found the AKGs not quite fit right and the Fii0, I wished for a volume knob instead of a digital volume control.

Ultimately I think a device like the NuForce amp that takes a digital output from an iDevice would be a better fit for me since I don't actually do much listening at my desk.  Having a USB DAC therefore is not a real advantage.

Oct 18, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #8,286 of 29,490

Quote:
Hy,

I went to shop today to see what kind of headphones they got. I found 2 that seemed legal. First one is the Phillips SHL9560, but I read that they have noise reduction system built in that also reduces the sound quality (it wasn't written on the box so I'm not too sure about that). Second ones were Sony MDR-XB500. They seem decent though XB700 seems better. But I know little about headphones and audio technology so I hope that you will give me some advice. Is ether of them a good choice ?
As told I don't know much about headphones, but if I'm going to buy ones that cost around 100euro (my budget) then they should be good ones, as 100euros is a lot of money for me :D and am going to need a lot of it in the winter :frowning2:.  Anyhow these are the specs that are important to me:
a) Good bass, love the bass.
b)Sound quality. Haven't had fancy headphones before but read that you can hear sounds that you couldn't before, definitely a thing that I'm willing to pay a extra puck.
c)Looks. I like headphones like the Sony ones I found. Don't like plastic- metal, leather is the way to go.
d)No gadgets like microphone, or a toaster. Yes, a joke...
Would like "on the ear" (?) headphones. That doesn't let sound in or out. The bigger the better :D
If it helps any, then I mostly listen to music that have no to little words, like trance, dnb, "chillout", classical, blues/jazz like music.
Thanks for any tips and advice :)

It's not exactly what your looking for...but.
Panasonic RP-HTF600-S, with Beyerdynamic EDT 200 Velour ear pads.

Oct 18, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #8,287 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey,
Asked about headphone choice earlier and I'm currently leaning towards getting the HD600's. Wondering if an Asus Xonar Essence XTS is good enough for it? I never owned a headphone amp, a good soundcard or anything so I am really clueless. I would prefer not to bottleneck my sound if at all possible.

The Asus Xonar Essence STX powers my 250-Ohm headphones just fine.
I've already updated my STX with two LME49860NA op-amps.
There is a thread on this forum that is dedicated to the Essence STX
http://www.head-fi.org/t/421890/the-xonar-essence-stx-q-a-tweaking-impressions-thread

Oct 18, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #8,288 of 29,490

Quote:
I think my post got lost.  I was wondering if there are any DT770 users in this thread.  I just ordered a pair of the 32Ohm version based on a recommendation earlier in this thread. I'm wondering what I can expect for volume level straight out of my iPhone?  Am I going to need to get an amp right away just to have acceptable volume level or will I be OK to hold off on the amp for a while?

I'm "guessing" as the headphones are only 32-Ohm, the iPhone should power them decently.
But I'm sure most would agree, DT-770s do benefit from a headphone amplifier.
You should be able to find a small portable headphone amplifier, like the Fiio.

Oct 18, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #8,291 of 29,490

Quote:
Whats a rockbox and how can you fit in more than 1 sd?

Rockbox is free software that replaces the firmware in various music players and provides a lot of additional functions and customization options, including superior graphic and parametric equalization. 
It is not necessary to remove the stock firmware and you can bypass rockbox and boot to the factory firmware anytime.
www.rockbox.org

You wouldn't actually use more than one sd card at a time. The Clip uses micro sd cards, btw. 
They're pretty cheap nowadays, especially the smaller capacities, so depending on your library size you might want to have a few of them.

Quote:
And Is the Sansa Clip+ able to power the MDR-XB500?

I'm 99% sure it will. It has a pretty decent amp and I believe the XB500s are easily driven.
I don't personally have the XB500, so you might want to verify that.
Of course, even a cheap fiio probably wouldn't hurt, but I don't think its necessary.

Oct 18, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #8,293 of 29,490
I think that this is the best place to ask some questions.
First of all, I dont' live in the civilizated world, so I can't test the headphones that you may suggest. I'll buy one based on reviews and on your advices.
I'll use it on an iPod without amp. I don't have problems with leakage, portability and comfort, but it must have some isolation because I'll use it a lot on the bus.

I listen to ambient/drone music (like David Tagg, Bo Becker and Troum), darkwave (like Lycia, Diary of Dream and Diorama), death metal (like Immolation, Gorguts and The Chasm), some EBM/elctro-industrial and black metal now and then.

Initially, I was planning to buy one Sennheiser HD280 or HD438, but my search for an entrance headphone resulted in more doubts. There are lots of ATH models cheaper or costing the same and there are two Shure models that caught my attention. Because of the abusive taxes of my country, the most expensive that I can buy is Shure SRH 440 or SRH 550 (around $100 with shipping).

So, what wold you suggest? I know that Im asking too much for such a low value, but there must be one that fits all my needs.

Thanks in advance.

Oct 18, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #8,294 of 29,490
The XB 3/5/700 do not need or (IMO) benefit from amplification. They do benfit from a bit of EQ though. The Rockbox will be more than enough. My netbook and iPhone sit around 60% for good volumes and maybe 70 for rockin out. 

Oct 18, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #8,295 of 29,490
IMO I would stay away from the HD280s if you like your bass. Yes, they do have bass on some songs and under certain situations but it is a very sterile sound. If you want your spleen shattering bass, let alone a heavily present bass, then look else where. Also, the cord is heavy and bothersome IMO. So yes they do sound good, they just fall short is certain places. Tons of isolation though. 
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back