++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 14, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #8,131 of 29,490
Well which would you get? 
I mean I don't know half of what I'm talking about.  =]
I listen to maily Dubstep, DnB, Rap, some Rock, some vocals and stuff like that but I need them to play other stuff.
I need as little leakage as possible so I can listen to them in school and library.
So which of them would YOU buy under my circumstances?
-Thanks

Oct 14, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #8,132 of 29,490
Should I buy the ZX700 or the XB700? They are both around the same price on Amazon UK (I would be interested in buying second hand ones cheaply too if anybody's selling to the UK).

EDIT: I am also looking to upgrade to a J3, has anybody got a cheap 16GB one with no screen scratches?

Oct 14, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #8,133 of 29,490

Which is more important:   Attack or Big Bass?(apples or oranges,I know but I'm clueless,,  =]  )

Quote:
The 500 has more attack, but the 700 has bigger bass. 

Basically, the bigger the XB series gets the more like a subwoofer they sound, and the less kick they have. I think 'the bigger the better' for EDM, but if you like bass impact, you might want to get the 500s.

The size comment is also true. They get bigger as the line goes up. 300s - 30mm, 500s - 40mm, 700s - 50mm, 1000 - 70mm (I believe those are the correct driver sizes, anyway). 

Regular use and just leaving them plugged into something playing music. Some people burn in with 'noise' (white, pink, brown, whatever), but I just leave music playing through them. 

EDIT: Most suggest right above listening level for burn in.

Oct 14, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #8,135 of 29,490
Thank you everyone who has helped meh.
You have revolutionized the way I think about headphones and quality of sound (especially MorbidToaster<3)
I will be ordering the XB500's tomorrow =D
And the Cowon J7 eventually when I have enough money. I was dissapointed to see it has no wi-fi but overall it looks amazing
 If you ever want to suggest anything to me ever my skype paddyquigley1

-Love You Lots (no homo)

Oct 14, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #8,136 of 29,490

Quote:
Should I buy the ZX700 or the XB700? They are both around the same price on Amazon UK (I would be interested in buying second hand ones cheaply too if anybody's selling to the UK).
EDIT: I am also looking to upgrade to a J3, has anybody got a cheap 16GB one with no screen scratches?

Now about getting the Panasonic RP-HTF600-S (also order the Velour pads).

Oct 14, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #8,138 of 29,490
Denon AH-D1100.  You can pick them up from buy.com for about $116.

Quote:
A friend is looking for a pair of headphones and needs some recommendations if you all don't mind. To keep things short and sweet:

Primary Music: Trance
Desired Sound: Tight bass, crisp treble, wide soundstage
Other: Closed back, low impedance (iPod with no amp)
Price range: up to $125

Oct 15, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #8,139 of 29,490
Hey All,

Been browsing for a few weeks now. What a wealth of knowledge on this site! I've been trying to decide on some headphones but my indecisiveness is creeping in and I need some help. Not looking for IEMS but rather portable headphones of some kind. 

Where will the headphones be used: Apartment, Campus (student), Bus rides, Gym (probably not possible).

Isolation is fairly important since I do ride the bus quite often and would like as much isolation as possible. 

Music styles: I literally listen to everything from pure instrumental like Rodrigo y Gabriela to folk musicians like Sufjan Stevens. I want vocals to be clear since lyrics are everything to me but I do enjoy the feeling of bass as well (sometimes dubstep is the answer lol). Basically, all around balanced phones with decent bass as well. 

Previous experience: Owned some IEMs (S4, and turbines). Both broke due to cable problems. Recently purchased the Kicker headphones. Enjoyed the kicker phones for the most part (great bass but mids were a little muffled/recessed imo) but had one main problem. After about 30 minutes of listening my ears would hurt (even with velour pads) and the top of my head would ache (headband on top dug in for some reason). I have a feeling that this was just due to the design of the kickers. 

Caveats: I wear glasses so I'm wary of too much clamping but since I'm fairly inexperienced to headphones this might not be a valid worry. I would like something like swivel cups or replaceable cable but not a necessity. For me sound and comfort are the main things but it wouldn't hurt to have some style, customisability, or flair. Going to be working through an iphone but might purchase an FiiO e7 in the near future. 

Price=up to 200$

Phones I'm considering: the zx700, hd 25 i-II, and ath m50. Still can't make a decision. PLEASE HELP ME CHOOSE and if you can recommend something that might be better. 

THANKS SO MUCH!

Oct 15, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #8,140 of 29,490
I think you'd fine the HD 25 and the M50 uncomfortable. I'd suggest taking a look at the AIAIAI TMA-1. They're more comfortable than most portables, but still have decent isolation (even though the clamp isn't hard). 

I wear glasses and wore my TMA-1 for 8 hours once without any problems. Regularly used them for 5+ hour listening sessions. They will need EQ to work with all genres, but with EQu on your iPhone, you'd be golden. No need for a portable amp either.

Quote:
Hey All,

Been browsing for a few weeks now. What a wealth of knowledge on this site! I've been trying to decide on some headphones but my indecisiveness is creeping in and I need some help. Not looking for IEMS but rather portable headphones of some kind. 

Where will the headphones be used: Apartment, Campus (student), Bus rides, Gym (probably not possible).

Isolation is fairly important since I do ride the bus quite often and would like as much isolation as possible. 

Music styles: I literally listen to everything from pure instrumental like Rodrigo y Gabriela to folk musicians like Sufjan Stevens. I want vocals to be clear since lyrics are everything to me but I do enjoy the feeling of bass as well (sometimes dubstep is the answer lol). Basically, all around balanced phones with decent bass as well. 

Previous experience: Owned some IEMs (S4, and turbines). Both broke due to cable problems. Recently purchased the Kicker headphones. Enjoyed the kicker phones for the most part (great bass but mids were a little muffled/recessed imo) but had one main problem. After about 30 minutes of listening my ears would hurt (even with velour pads) and the top of my head would ache (headband on top dug in for some reason). I have a feeling that this was just due to the design of the kickers. 

Caveats: I wear glasses so I'm wary of too much clamping but since I'm fairly inexperienced to headphones this might not be a valid worry. I would like something like swivel cups or replaceable cable but not a necessity. For me sound and comfort are the main things but it wouldn't hurt to have some style, customisability, or flair. Going to be working through an iphone but might purchase an FiiO e7 in the near future. 

Price=up to 200$

Phones I'm considering: the zx700, hd 25 i-II, and ath m50. Still can't make a decision. PLEASE HELP ME CHOOSE and if you can recommend something that might be better. 

THANKS SO MUCH!

Oct 15, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #8,141 of 29,490
If you want to use your headphones at the gym, the HD 25-1 IIs are the only choice. The split headband will keep them locked on your head no matter how much you move about, whereas the ZX700s and M50s would just fall off.

For use on the bus, the HD 25s isolate fairly well. Unfortunately, this is because they clamp on to your head quite tightly.

However, the HD 25s don't have as much bass presence - the bass is noticeably present, but it's not a dubstep headphone by any means. It's more 'pop' than 'boom', I'd say.

I think you'd still enjoy them nonetheless. Can't go wrong with the HD 25s.

Oct 15, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #8,142 of 29,490
I would suggest the Denon AH-D1100.  They are pretty portable and very comfortable.  While they would have the bass you want the mids are a bit recessed.  I would say the M50s and the HD-25s would probably hurt if you are wearing glasses.
Quote:
Hey All,

Price=up to 200$

THANKS SO MUCH!

Oct 15, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #8,145 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! And it also seems like Unwise asked the same question, but with a higher price range. :)
How are the comfort levels on these?

Both are quite comfortable. The Shure 440 sits fully circumaural while the V6 is more like a supersized supraaural. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back