++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 13, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #8,056 of 29,490

Quote:
Wow thanks for the reply color coded and everything :xf_eek: The thing about the myth was that there were some people (I heard it somewhere never really followed up on it) say that when you have detachable cords/corded on one  side it would affect the longevity of the sound balance (one side's sound deteriorates more than the other) and that with the wear and tear of the detachable cord it reduces life as well. I know the product is decently new so I wouldn't expect you to know for this specific model but in general would that be something to worry about? Seeing as how you didn't get my question I don't think it seems like a real problem in general. 
Edit: LOL I actually DID read your review on it earlier haha very helpful :) 

Ah I see. I haven't had much experience with detachable/1-sided headphones to be honest, so I cannot guarantee that there won't be a problem. I think if you take care of the cables and headphones properly, you should be fine. So far I haven't heard any news about that around Head-Fi.

In the event where it does happen, Shure does offer a 2-year limited warranty that covers all defects in material and workmanship so that might be covered in the warranty.

Oct 13, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #8,057 of 29,490

Quote:
Wow thanks for the reply color coded and everything :xf_eek: The thing about the myth was that there were some people (I heard it somewhere never really followed up on it) say that when you have detachable cords/corded on one  side it would affect the longevity of the sound balance (one side's sound deteriorates more than the other) and that with the wear and tear of the detachable cord it reduces life as well. I know the product is decently new so I wouldn't expect you to know for this specific model but in general would that be something to worry about? Seeing as how you didn't get my question I don't think it seems like a real problem in general. 
Edit: LOL I actually DID read your review on it earlier haha very helpful :) 

The concerns come from...
a) Singled sided entry often has a small circuit board or extra pads on the entry side driver from which the wires for the opposite side are attached. It also results in uneven path length to the far side driver from your source/amp.
b) Detachable means you only have a contact connection point, not a solid one.

In reality though, assuming reasonable build quality and decent care, you should not be able to hear any difference between single entry and dual entry, or attached vs detachable cables.

In terms of wear and tear, well, the double sided attached cables are just as susceptible to damage as the single sided detacheable ones.

Oct 13, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #8,058 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey!  I'm here because I hate Skullcandy.....

Also, just throwing out another option: good luck breaking the Senn PX 360.  Easily drivable out of a laptop/DAP and a lot of low end punch.  Metal headband with leather coverings and really hard plastic.  Featherweight tanks with really good passive isolation.

Oct 13, 2011 at 4:46 AM Post #8,060 of 29,490
Hi there, first time poster and recent music admirer.

I don't want to spend time writing a story, but I feel somewhat inclined- I love my portapros, and feel they are if not the best headphones I have ever listen to music on them. Obviously this is my limited amount of experience showing, and have not really have had the chance with higher end headphones, but more entry being a pair of  grado's sr-80i that my cousin owns. Basically here's what I liked about the grado:

-Wider sound stage (or better positioned and more depth of the drivers)
-Sounds somewhat cleaner on the highs (I know from what people have said about coloring, but I don't consider it a bad thing)
-I could use them as speakers if I felt it was needed :wink:

However, what I love about my portapros compared is:

-More impact from any sound
-Bass has more presences/omph
-Less open than the grados

I do want to ask this before I start asking other questions: is the grado sr-125/225i better on the bass (like not rumbling but more impacting) than the 80i?

Now as far as that goes, if that’s the case then I'll consider them. However I really want closed cans with decent isolation, but generally if not the same qualities of the portapro with maybe wider sound stage and positioning (I have no idea if these go hand in hand sorry if ignorant sounding)

I've gotten recommendations like the ath-m50/mdr-v6/beyer 770t/grado 125i/something akg/sennheiser hd550(and 598)/koss titanium pro/and a pair of shure cans.

I've been listening to a lot of mj recently, but I do listen to rock(50-80's), techno, acoustic music, classical/orchestrated, really I'd like to think a lot of varied genres, but those are predominant. Oh and budget is $220.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for anyone's time!

And to note: amp is not a problem and for anything that requires one, I don't really mind as I usually listen at home/playing video games, so it's no biggie if they require one.

Oct 13, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #8,061 of 29,490

Quote:
Also, just throwing out another option: good luck breaking the Senn PX 360.  Easily drivable out of a laptop/DAP and a lot of low end punch.  Metal headband with leather coverings and really hard plastic.  Featherweight tanks with really good passive isolation.

On a quick Amazon search, I'm finding these PX 360s to be $134 on Amazon, the HD 280s to be $82.  MDR-V6s are $65.19.  This brings up not just "better the devil you know" but also cost.  I'm not absolutely limited to $50 lightly used, to be fair.  Are the Senns going to be worth the extra?

Oct 13, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #8,062 of 29,490
My friends needs a new pair of headphones, and I promised to check on here to see if anyone has some good advice

They will be used for Drum and Bass and Dubstep 
And that is actually it, just go under the 250 dollar price point. (best bang for the buck)
And notify if an amp is needed. Thanks

EDIT: 300 dollars can be dealt with :)

Oct 13, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #8,063 of 29,490
I'd look into giving the Pro 750 a shot. It's not going to be huge soundstage (being closed), but the S-Logic does open them up (for me anyway). It has tons of kick across the spectrum and is fairly balanced. Good all rounder, and can be had right around your budget. 

Another suggestion (and my favorite bang/buck headphone) is the HD 598. One of the best all rounders out there (IMO), and it doesn't really do any genre 'badly'. It excels in sound stage and mids. For an open headphone the bass is great. Much better than a Grado. 

Oh, and to answer your question about Grados...No. You can tweak them a little with new pads or simple mods and get nicer bass, but still nowhere near other headphones. 

Quote:
Hi there, first time poster and recent music admirer.

I don't want to spend time writing a story, but I feel somewhat inclined- I love my portapros, and feel they are if not the best headphones I have ever listen to music on them. Obviously this is my limited amount of experience showing, and have not really have had the chance with higher end headphones, but more entry being a pair of  grado's sr-80i that my cousin owns. Basically here's what I liked about the grado:

-Wider sound stage (or better positioned and more depth of the drivers)
-Sounds somewhat cleaner on the highs (I know from what people have said about coloring, but I don't consider it a bad thing)
-I could use them as speakers if I felt it was needed :wink:

However, what I love about my portapros compared is:

-More impact from any sound
-Bass has more presences/omph
-Less open than the grados

I do want to ask this before I start asking other questions: is the grado sr-125/225i better on the bass (like not rumbling but more impacting) than the 80i?

Now as far as that goes, if that’s the case then I'll consider them. However I really want closed cans with decent isolation, but generally if not the same qualities of the portapro with maybe wider sound stage and positioning (I have no idea if these go hand in hand sorry if ignorant sounding)

I've gotten recommendations like the ath-m50/mdr-v6/beyer 770t/grado 125i/something akg/sennheiser hd550(and 598)/koss titanium pro/and a pair of shure cans.

I've been listening to a lot of mj recently, but I do listen to rock(50-80's), techno, acoustic music, classical/orchestrated, really I'd like to think a lot of varied genres, but those are predominant. Oh and budget is $220.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for anyone's time!

And to note: amp is not a problem and for anything that requires one, I don't really mind as I usually listen at home/playing video games, so it's no biggie if they require one.

It depends a little on how your friend likes his bass. I'd suggest the XB700 right off the bat if he loves a lot of it and 'subwoofer' bass. I really like my HD 598 for EDM, and my favorite genre is Liquid DnB...so he could be like me. 

Any chance you could list some of his favorite stuff? I could make a better recommendation on that.

Quote:
My friends needs a new pair of headphones, and I promised to check on here to see if anyone has some good advice

They will be used for Drum and Bass and Dubstep 
And that is actually it, just go under the 250 dollar price point. (best bang for the buck)
And notify if an amp is needed. Thanks

EDIT: 300 dollars can be dealt with :)

Oct 13, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #8,064 of 29,490

Quote:
I'd look into giving the Pro 750 a shot. It's not going to be huge soundstage (being closed), but the S-Logic does open them up (for me anyway). It has tons of kick across the spectrum and is fairly balanced. Good all rounder, and can be had right around your budget. 

Another suggestion (and my favorite bang/buck headphone) is the HD 598. One of the best all rounders out there (IMO), and it doesn't really do any genre 'badly'. It excels in sound stage and mids. For an open headphone the bass is great. Much better than a Grado. 

Oh, and to answer your question about Grados...No. You can tweak them a little with new pads or simple mods and get nicer bass, but still nowhere near other headphones. 

Well thanks on the input, aside from the pro 750 being a tad bit out of my range, I'll defiantly consider those, but the hd 598 defiantly sounds like a winner. Just gotta wait for them to drop a bit in price, but otherwise that’s pretty awesome sounding. Sad to know that grado doesn't make more "bassy" headphones, but as I've heard that's the sound that people appreciate.

Edit: Although I'm sure it's minor, but does the hd 598 still suffer from any of those hairline cracks?

At least the thing that I've heard about them.

Oct 13, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #8,065 of 29,490
You can fine the Pro 750 used for well below budget. I just sold some for 175 USD. :D Kinda the same with the 598 right now. It fluctuates a lot.

Quote:

Well thanks on the input, aside from the pro 750 being a tad bit out of my range, I'll defiantly consider those, but the hd 598 defiantly sounds like a winner. Just gotta wait for them to drop a bit in price, but otherwise that’s pretty awesome sounding. Sad to know that grado doesn't make more "bassy" headphones, but as I've heard that's the sound that people appreciate.

Oct 13, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #8,066 of 29,490

Quote:
You can fine the Pro 750 used for well below budget. I just sold some for 175 USD. :D Kinda the same with the 598 right now. It fluctuates a lot. 

I just like the smell of new products... but if that's the case then yea I'll go for it.

Edit: If used is a nice way to get some good gear, would the hd 600 be a better choice?

I mean it's like 60 bucks to get  a referb. model compared from 170 -> 230 (and I mean I will pay the extra if it's worth it).

Damnit you're getting me excited
atsmile.gif

Oct 13, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #8,067 of 29,490
Hi everyone, I think this is the perfect place for me :) 

About a year ago I invested in a roughly $2000 sound system. Now my headphones do not meet my desire for good sound... currently use a pair of Sony noisecancelling headphones I bought probably close to 10 years ago for $50.

Looking for something better, hopefully in the $200-$300 range (not fixed, but preferable... the OP is quite true that these sorts of forums hurt the wallet!). I am fairly inexperienced with headphone shopping for any significant dollar value (ie over $10). Not sure what other features - amp/DAC are needed or how portable they are.

Primary uses: listening to music at work out of a laptop (macbook pro) or iPod on travels - full range of music, though heavier on classical/instrumental/rock and not "bass heavy" stuff, but for many hours 
Desired "features": it'd be nice if it came with a case for traveling

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Oct 13, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #8,068 of 29,490
I don't have any headphones at all, and want a pair for light gaming. I also do a lot of tv show and movie watching. And of course, some music.

So I really am looking for a pair that will give me the most complete sound for all of these things. I just want the gaming aspect to be on the very light side of use.

The reviews on the Sony MDR7506's and the KRK 8400's seem to be very highly rated...

And both are in my price range. I don't the slightest idea on which on to choose. And I cant find any local stores carrying them.

Heck, maybe I am off and I would be more than happy to take suggestions if there are better ones out there.

thanks

Oct 13, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #8,069 of 29,490
What kind of music? What exact price range? How do you want your games (immersive, or competitive)?

Tough to suggest without knowing a little more. Though the 7506 isn't a bad place to start getting into headphones. Industry staple that's built like a truck and sound pretty balanced.

Quote:
I don't have any headphones at all, and want a pair for light gaming. I also do a lot of tv show and movie watching. And of course, some music.

So I really am looking for a pair that will give me the most complete sound for all of these things. I just want the gaming aspect to be on the very light side of use.

The reviews on the Sony MDR7506's and the KRK 8400's seem to be very highly rated...

And both are in my price range. I don't the slightest idea on which on to choose. And I cant find any local stores carrying them.

Heck, maybe I am off and I would be more than happy to take suggestions if there are better ones out there.

thanks

Oct 13, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #8,070 of 29,490
I just thought of an experiment I may perform with my AKG 271 Mk IIs, and I would like some input as to whether this is possible. Whether it's worth it may be another story haha.

You know the removable cable on the AKGs? The mini-XLR connector? Is it possible to somehow take advantage of this and insert some kind of XLR based bluetooth interface, effectively turning my wired headphones into wireless headphones? Ideally, I would be able to interface this bluetooth device with (A) my bluetooth-enabled computer and (B) my iPhone. Using a bluetooth receiver on the other end is not out of the question for me either. 

Any thoughts/suggestions on how one would hypothetically approach this? Thanks in advance. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back