++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 8, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #7,936 of 29,490

Hey guys,

Just built my custom computer a week ago.

I salvaged an my  Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1(USB)  from my old computer.

Prior to this, i was using a cheap unbranded headphone. They are uncomfortable though but i didn't find any problems with the sound output.

Its time to upgrade since i broke the cheap unbranded headphone. I was looking around and found that the MDR-XB500 is well within my budget. Well to be honest, more than what I am willing to spend, but it won me with it being comfortable. I read quite a few reviews and every review emphasize on its comfort. This is quite rare when compared to other headphones of its price range. This is of course based on my own research so i could've missed something.

Anyways, this headphones would be worn throughout the day (Not everyday though, 2 - 3 times a week) while gaming and watching movies. Is this headphone adequate for this task or could i get better ones that are within the price range of the MDR-XB500?

P/s: I am residing in Malaysia and the MDR-XB500 costs an average of USD90. https://www.sonystyle.com.my/ProductListing/IndividualProductDetails.aspx?pmodel=MDR-XB500

Oct 8, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #7,937 of 29,490
I only recommend the TMA-1 when a decent EQ is available. They are excellent headphones, and good all rounder when EQed properly, but without it they are just too dark for so many genres. 

If I ever see someone listening to EDM exclusively they are at the top of my list. 

The problem I have with them is that the vocals are very veiled without EQ. 

Comfort and isolation are great though, and durability is second to none. With a replaceable cable and what not they are an excellent headphone.

Quote:
I haven't heard the AIAIAI's myself, but I think people would recommend it over the Aviators for a wide variety of genres. I've read that they are similar to the Audio Technica M50's. Can anybody confirm this?

Oct 9, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #7,938 of 29,490
Hey guys I'm considering an upgrade from my AD700. I was looking into the AKG K701/2. Do you guys think that would be a nice upgrade? Any other suggestions? I liked how the ad700 had a nice soundstage and a sparkle to it. I mainly game,skype calls, and music when I use my ad700's thanks.

Oct 9, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #7,939 of 29,490
Please help a big head noob and aspiring audiophile! Here's the run-down of my situation:

Music type: classical (orchestral mostly, but also string chamber), pop, acoustic
Price: less than 250
Priority: 1. Comfort; 2. Sound
Back: Open or semi-open
Context: Office 

Now the caveat: I have a REALLY BIG HEAD. I just measured my head circumference at 25 in (size 8 hat apparently...but I don't wear hats b/c I can't find any that fit me). I also measured my head lengthwise (from middle of ear-to-ear over the top) and it's 16.5 in.

I currently own/use a K240M (600 Ω) that I purchased back around 2001 for a intro to music technology class in college. It's okay comfortable, but after an hour or so, it starts hurting my ears and I need to rest a while. Sound is obviously important, but most important is the comfort. As they say in photography, the best camera is the one that you have with you. Similarly, the best headphones are the ones that stay on your head. So while I want the best phones for classical, I also need one that will stay on my big head.

I've researched a bit on this forum already. K501 seems like the consensus choice for classical, but I have doubts about comfort for big head (and hard to find these days it seems). DT880 seems comfortable, but controversial for classical. HD600 seems also good for classical, but not sure about comfort either (I heard Senn are not good for big heads). So...please shed some light here with your recommendations of these or other headphones. Thank you.

Oct 9, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #7,940 of 29,490
I'm looking for a pair of closed headphones in the $100-$200 range.  After searching the Head-Fi forums for a bit, I've honed in on the Audio Technica M50s, Ultrasone HIFI-580, and Ultrasone HIFI-780 (I'm open to other recommendations as well).  I found several threads comparing the relative merits of these, but there are a number of conflicting opinions.  From what I've gathered, the Audio Technicas produce a flater, more natural sound while the Ultrasones are better suited to electronic and bass-heavy music.  

All three headphones are currently priced very similarly when purchased new at online retailers ($160 for the ATs, $171 for the 580s, and $158 for the 780s on Amazon w/free shipping).

My questions:
1).  Which of these headphones is best suited to general listening, not just for music but also occasional movie watching and gaming?  Music is certainly my top priority but I would prefer good general purpose headphones if possible.  I listen to a variety of musical genres including electronica (mostly downtempo and ambient but also some techno and D&B), rock, and classical so I don't want headphones that only excel with one music type.  
2)  If price weren't a factor, which of these three headphones would you most recommend?
3)  What are the differences between the 580s and 780s?  I've heard both that the 780s are superior and vice versa.  Thoughts?

Oct 9, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #7,941 of 29,490
Hey,

Typical Consumer here. I bought a pair of Shure750DJs 8 months ago, returned them 2 months ago due to a splitting of the plastic on the sides that allow for size adjustments. Foolishly returned to Future Shop and got the same pair (free of course) but they too just split. I don't know if it is my huge head, or that I just store them improperly (in he backpack). My biggest gripe with these was that they were way too small for my head. I really actually have an abnormally large head.

I'm going to return them again, and throw that money into a new, hopefully more comfortable pair and hoping for some advice.

Price Range: $100-175 (lower the better, but I could do higher if there is no good low priced options)
Type of music: Varied (rock, pop, rap etc.), no gaming though, just music
Desired characteristics:
- Headband size is big (for my big head)
- If possible non-plastic adjustments on the sides (I just seem to break them)
- Very sturdy and durable
- Very, very comfortable and over the head type (I use these at the library for 6+ hours a day) -> Picture me being hugged by a cloud around my ears
- Don't need to be noise cancelling, but good if the design facilitates blocking low levels of library noise
- In a library, so I don't want others to suffer through my music, so if they localize the sound somewhat great
- sound quality doesn't needed to be pristine necessarily (I would sacrifice that, blasphemy I know, for more comfortable. I'm not a DJ, just a student)
- Chord over 2m

I saw the AKG K172HDs and they looked like fun.

Note: I am from Canada eh

Oct 9, 2011 at 3:47 AM Post #7,942 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys I'm considering an upgrade from my AD700. I was looking into the AKG K701/2. Do you guys think that would be a nice upgrade? Any other suggestions? I liked how the ad700 had a nice soundstage and a sparkle to it. I mainly game,skype calls, and music when I use my ad700's thanks.

If you're looking into the AKG K701/2's and you don't want to use an amp, the Shure SRH940's offer a similar sound signature. They probably won't have the same soundstage as the open AD700's but I find them to be really good as a closed headphone. I wrote a review for the 940's and it can be found in my signature.

Quote:
I'm looking for a pair of closed headphones in the $100-$200 range.  After searching the Head-Fi forums for a bit, I've honed in on the Audio Technica M50s, Ultrasone HIFI-580, and Ultrasone HIFI-780 (I'm open to other recommendations as well).  I found several threads comparing the relative merits of these, but there are a number of conflicting opinions.  From what I've gathered, the Audio Technicas produce a flater, more natural sound while the Ultrasones are better suited to electronic and bass-heavy music.  

All three headphones are currently priced very similarly when purchased new at online retailers ($160 for the ATs, $171 for the 580s, and $158 for the 780s on Amazon w/free shipping).

My questions:
1).  Which of these headphones is best suited to general listening, not just for music but also occasional movie watching and gaming?  Music is certainly my top priority but I would prefer good general purpose headphones if possible.  I listen to a variety of musical genres including electronica (mostly downtempo and ambient but also some techno and D&B), rock, and classical so I don't want headphones that only excel with one music type.  
2)  If price weren't a factor, which of these three headphones would you most recommend?
3)  What are the differences between the 580s and 780s?  I've heard both that the 780s are superior and vice versa.  Thoughts?

The opinions about the M50 vs HFI-580 are pretty mixed. Generally I have read that the 580's have more controlled lows and highs but suffer from their tight clamping force on your head. Both headphones are good for electronic music however.
1. I think most people would use the M50's as an all-purpose headphone, but many people here use the 580's for movies and gaming as well, so either would probably be fine.
3. I think the 580's have big bass, while the 780's have slightly less bass and more treble. The 780's are a love/hate headphone (some people like myself find the highs to be a bit too harsh), but almost everyone here seems to like their 580's.

I should also note that the Ultrasone DJ1 headphone is the same as the HFI-580, but with a coiled cable (rather than straight), and has a different appearance. Some people like the coiled cord or looks of the DJ1 so I just wanted to make that a point to say.

Quote:
Hey,

Typical Consumer here. I bought a pair of Shure750DJs 8 months ago, returned them 2 months ago due to a splitting of the plastic on the sides that allow for size adjustments. Foolishly returned to Future Shop and got the same pair (free of course) but they too just split. I don't know if it is my huge head, or that I just store them improperly (in he backpack). My biggest gripe with these was that they were way too small for my head. I really actually have an abnormally large head.

I'm going to return them again, and throw that money into a new, hopefully more comfortable pair and hoping for some advice.

Price Range: $100-175 (lower the better, but I could do higher if there is no good low priced options)
Type of music: Varied (rock, pop, rap etc.), no gaming though, just music
Desired characteristics:
- Headband size is big (for my big head)
- If possible non-plastic adjustments on the sides (I just seem to break them)
- Very sturdy and durable
- Very, very comfortable and over the head type (I use these at the library for 6+ hours a day) -> Picture me being hugged by a cloud around my ears
- Don't need to be noise cancelling, but good if the design facilitates blocking low levels of library noise
- In a library, so I don't want others to suffer through my music, so if they localize the sound somewhat great
- sound quality doesn't needed to be pristine necessarily (I would sacrifice that, blasphemy I know, for more comfortable. I'm not a DJ, just a student)
- Chord over 2m

I saw the AKG K172HDs and they looked like fun.

Note: I am from Canada eh

Beyerdynamic headphones are famous here for being so comfortable...although they aren't in your price range.

The Sennheiser HD25-1-II's are known to be really rugged if you're worried about durability. I thought they were tight on the head at first but you get used to them over time (try wearing a pair before you buy it, some people don't like its comfort).

I haven't tried them yet, but maybe the new V-Moda Crossfade M-80's will suite your needs. They have a metal construction so they would be pretty durable ideally.

The Shure SRH840's are also a good headphone to recommend, but again, it's a headphone you have to wear before buying since a lot of people (including myself) say that it's a bit heavy on your head.

Oct 9, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #7,943 of 29,490

What do you guys recommend me to get? 

- I mainly listen to metal (In Flames, Sonata Arctica, Metallica, Symphony X... etc) and rock (Red Hot Chili Peppers, Deep Purple...), but I also listen to some rap. 
 - My primary concern is high sound quality, I don't care at all about portability. I also need a long straight cable if possible (3m), but I can always use extenders. 
 - I don't mind if they're closed or open. Bonus for closed, though. They must be circumaural.
 - I'll be playing FLAC through my computer (X-Fi Bravura + LT1028ACN8, looking forward to get a pair of AD797BRZ). No portable use.
 - I'm considering the possibility of getting an amplifier if it's completely necessary. But I think my Bravura already has one?
 - Budget: ~200€ / ~$300 USD

Headphones I'm looking at:

1) Audio-Technica M50s- 119€
2) Shure SRH840 - 140€
3) Grado SR225i - 199€

Thanks for reading,

Oct 9, 2011 at 4:08 AM Post #7,944 of 29,490

Quote:

What do you guys recommend me to get? 

- I mainly listen to metal (In Flames, Sonata Arctica, Metallica, Symphony X... etc) and rock (Red Hot Chili Peppers, Deep Purple...), but I also listen to some rap. 
 - My primary concern is high sound quality, I don't care at all about portability. I also need a long straight cable if possible (3m), but I can always use extenders. 
 - I don't mind if they're closed or open. Bonus for closed, though. They must be circumaural.
 - I'll be playing FLAC through my computer (X-Fi Bravura + LT1028ACN8, looking forward to get a pair of AD797BRZ). No portable use.
 - I'm considering the possibility of getting an amplifier if it's completely necessary. But I think my Bravura already has one?
 - Budget: ~200€ / ~$300 USD

Headphones I'm looking at:

1) Audio-Technica M50s- 119€
2) Shure SRH840 - 140€
3) Grado SR225i - 199€

Thanks for reading,

Grados are often recommended for people who listen to a lot of rock/metal music so the SR225i's are probably going to be the headphone of choice for rock/metal. The SRH840's are also a nice choice of headphone (people claim they're mostly neutral except for a bump in the mid-bass) but they tend to be heavy on the head. The M50's are known to be really comfortable but they offer a more V-shaped sound signature than the 840's I believe.

Oct 9, 2011 at 4:14 AM Post #7,945 of 29,490
Check GMP400 if you want completely open or GMP450 PRO if you want semi (it says closed, but I promise that's a lie).  I own the CharterOak SP-1, which is a QP450 PRO equivalent, which was formerly MB Quart.  The "newer" model is under the German Maestro name, GMP450 PRO.

Clamping force is next to zero, and the headband adjusts from pin head to giant dome.  The two piece design is very, very comfy.  They need an amp though (300 ohm stated, some sources suggest 410 ohm actual).

In short, their sound is very mid forward and very much detail oriented.  These cans favor speed and detail over "rich", if that makes sense.  Even though the midrange is very forward, it maintains a very flat sound (no treble dip correction like you'll find in the HD650, which some prefer and others don't).  It makes you feel very close to the music.  That is my experience with the CharterOak SP-1, the GMP400 will be a little different I'm sure.

Unfortunately, these headphones seem a bit above your price range you stated, but seem to fit the bill perfectly otherwise.

There might be a solution though... Sonic Electronix bought the remainder of the MB Quart stock when the company was sold (and eventually turned to German Maestro - long story here that isn't relevant) and I remember awhile back they were selling the QP400 (pre-dated GMP400) for 100 USD, which is unreal as these are easily in the same tier as the HD650 (even if a much different headphone).  If this deal is still available, this would be your best option IMO, but I know the supplies are limited.

If you want to chat more about the MB Quart/German Maestro sound PM me, I am very familiar with it.
Quote:
Please help a big head noob and aspiring audiophile! Here's the run-down of my situation:

Music type: classical (orchestral mostly, but also string chamber), pop, acoustic
Price: less than 250
Priority: 1. Comfort; 2. Sound
Back: Open or semi-open
Context: Office 

Now the caveat: I have a REALLY BIG HEAD. I just measured my head circumference at 25 in (size 8 hat apparently...but I don't wear hats b/c I can't find any that fit me). I also measured my head lengthwise (from middle of ear-to-ear over the top) and it's 16.5 in.

I currently own/use a K240M (600 Ω) that I purchased back around 2001 for a intro to music technology class in college. It's okay comfortable, but after an hour or so, it starts hurting my ears and I need to rest a while. Sound is obviously important, but most important is the comfort. As they say in photography, the best camera is the one that you have with you. Similarly, the best headphones are the ones that stay on your head. So while I want the best phones for classical, I also need one that will stay on my big head.

I've researched a bit on this forum already. K501 seems like the consensus choice for classical, but I have doubts about comfort for big head (and hard to find these days it seems). DT880 seems comfortable, but controversial for classical. HD600 seems also good for classical, but not sure about comfort either (I heard Senn are not good for big heads). So...please shed some light here with your recommendations of these or other headphones. Thank you.

Oct 9, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #7,946 of 29,490

Quote:
Koss ProDJ100

Most people recommend an amp with them, but they sound fine without one. They're marketed as a DJ headphone but are mid focused and do vocals (IMO) the best in their price range. 

Thanks! I'll look into those, but they seem bigger than what she would prefer.

Quote:

There's a bunch of the Senns... PX100-ii, PX200-ii, HD228/238

These seem more like the size and portability she's looking for, thanks!

Oct 9, 2011 at 7:04 AM Post #7,947 of 29,490

Quote:
Grados are often recommended for people who listen to a lot of rock/metal music so the SR225i's are probably going to be the headphone of choice for rock/metal. The SRH840's are also a nice choice of headphone (people claim they're mostly neutral except for a bump in the mid-bass) but they tend to be heavy on the head. The M50's are known to be really comfortable but they offer a more V-shaped sound signature than the 840's I believe.

Excuse me, I'm a learning audiophile.
What does V-shaped sound signature mean?

So, the Grados are the one I should buy? 

Oct 9, 2011 at 7:09 AM Post #7,948 of 29,490

Quote:
Excuse me, I'm a learning audiophile.
What does V-shaped sound signature mean?

So, the Grados are the one I should buy? 

Oh sorry about that. V-shaped usually implies that the headphones have a recessed (quieter) midrange and so the lows and highs are more noticeable. Hence, if you took a flat frequency response and pushed the middle of the graph down, you get a U or V shape.

Yes the Grados would be a good choice for rock/metal. The Alessandro MS-1's are also recommended since they're similar to Grado headphones I believe. Is anyone able to confirm this?

Oct 9, 2011 at 7:14 AM Post #7,949 of 29,490
Any other headphone I should consider? Are the Grados comfortable? I'll use them with my computer and I have no speakers, so I'll give them a lot of usage.

Oct 9, 2011 at 8:47 AM Post #7,950 of 29,490
I'm trying to find a headphone (under $300) that has deep and punchy bass, clear treble (very clear if possible), and a good soundstage. Does anyone has a recommendation??? If there's no headphone like that under $300, it's okay to tell but please tell me the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back