++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 6, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #7,876 of 29,490

Quote:
Senn. HD 598, or maybe one of the Senn. HD 6xx series. 

The 598 is a great headphone, but I think the slightly more laid-back 'darker' sound of the 600 series would work a little better for that type or music. 

If I were to get one of the 600 series, would the HD600 or the HD650 work better with medieval/renaissance music?

Quote:

Audio Technica AD700/900/1000/2000, whichever is the best one you can find under budget (I've seen the AD2000 go for under $400 used). They are absolutely fantastic for midrange/vocals and producing a huge stage that envelopes you in the voices.

That sounds very nice! Would it be good with classical music in general? And is it true that you have to have a huge head to wear them?

Oct 6, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #7,877 of 29,490

Quote:
If I were to get one of the 600 series, would the HD600 or the HD650 work better with medieval/renaissance music?

That sounds very nice! Would it be good with classical music in general? And is it true that you have to have a huge head to wear them?

I honestly did not think there was a huge difference between the 600/650, so I would choose the 600 to save some money (or even cheaper yet, find a HD580 and buy the 600 grill separately, which is basically the exact same thing)

Both the Senns or Audio Technica are a fine choice. An average size head will suit the Audio Technicas just fine; those with very narrow heads might have fitment issues. Note however that the Audio Technicas have a very light clamp by nature, so if you tend to move around or want to lean back, they might not be the best choice. The Senns are much more secure by comparison.

Also of prime importance is whether or not you will have an amp. The Senns are harder to drive and need an amp to sound their best. the Audio Technicas are nicer with one, but it isn't crucial.

Oct 6, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #7,878 of 29,490
The D2000's are certainly something I've been considering. I do believe ElectronicsExpo sells an open box D2000 for $200. Do you know whether open-box headphones from ElectronicsExpo are well-regarded here on head-fi?

But the isolation factor makes me a little hesitant, so I've also been looking into Fischer Audio's FA-003. Would you know whether I'd be missing out a lot on SQ/comfort by trying to go for the better isolating 003's?

Thanks

Quote:
You might be able to find a used D2000 around $200 and that would probably be my suggestion. Most comfortable headphones I've ever worn, and they sound great out of an iPhone. They're also nice because they scale very well with better equipment and mods. So you're covered if you upgrade your source/amp as well.

EDIT: Isolation isn't top notch, but certainly better than the 598. 

Quote:
Hi guys, I'm a long time lurker who has finally decided to speak up and ask for some advice. I started reading Head-Fi about a year and half ago, and I started with an ATH-M50 and a FiiO E5. Those served me pretty well for about a year, but this summer I decided to step it up a little, and got myself an HD598 with a Matrix M-Stage and a Music Streamer II out of my Macbook Pro. I'm really liking the new set-up, and I've been listening to it for about a month now. I hadn't really touched my M50's in that time, but I tried them again yesterday. After putting them on again, I was surprised that they were considered circumaural. They felt much more on-ear, rather than over-ear, when compared to the HD598's. I've always thought the M-50's weren't the most comfortable headphones, after being spoiled for a month by the 598's, I didn't feel like I could wear the M-50's anymore for more than an hour.

So I've come to this thread to ask for a suggestion for another closed-back headphone in the $100-200 range. I still like my HD598's as my main pair, but I'm moving back in with some roommates next semester, so I think I might, on occasion, need a pair of closed headphones, and I don't think the M-50's quite cut it anymore in terms of comfort. I suppose something more comfortable that would benefit from the M-stage/MS-II but could still run out of an iPhone 4 would be ideal, if such a thing exists.

Thanks in advance

Oct 7, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #7,880 of 29,490
I recently purchased a D5000 from ElectronicsExpo, open box, for 400 dollars.  It arrived in good condition and looked brand new, no wear on the pads or earcups or anything, and the sound is phenomenal.  I love the Denons for rock and metal actually.  The D2000 is very punchy and fun, and its tonality is very impressive, making guitars and drums seem very alive and dynamic.

Quote:
The D2000's are certainly something I've been considering. I do believe ElectronicsExpo sells an open box D2000 for $200. Do you know whether open-box headphones from ElectronicsExpo are well-regarded here on head-fi?

But the isolation factor makes me a little hesitant, so I've also been looking into Fischer Audio's FA-003. Would you know whether I'd be missing out a lot on SQ/comfort by trying to go for the better isolating 003's?

Thanks 

Oct 7, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #7,881 of 29,490
The best way I can describe the Denon sound is 'organic'. They sound very real even though they are closed. 

Also, I haven't bought headphones from them but I did get some use camera gear from them and it was in great shape exactly as described. I'd vouch for them as well.

Quote:
I recently purchased a D5000 from ElectronicsExpo, open box, for 400 dollars.  It arrived in good condition and looked brand new, no wear on the pads or earcups or anything, and the sound is phenomenal.  I love the Denons for rock and metal actually.  The D2000 is very punchy and fun, and its tonality is very impressive, making guitars and drums seem very alive and dynamic.

Oct 7, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #7,883 of 29,490
Well aside from the default recommendation for Grado (SR80, or Alessandro MS1), I think the Sony V6 is a good candidate.

Oct 7, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #7,884 of 29,490
Another headphone suggestion for a friend of mine:

Music of choice - R&B
< $150 USD might be able to go to $200 USD
Preferably no amp
Can be driven by iPod Touch
Closed
Pretty durable
Look decent

Would the SRH840, HD25-1-II, Sony MDR-V6, Denon (I'm not sure which models are good), or Beyerdynamic (I'm not sure which models are good) be good suggestions?

Oct 7, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #7,885 of 29,490

Quote:
Another headphone suggestion for a friend of mine:

Music of choice - R&B
< $150 USD might be able to go to $200
Preferably no amp
Can be driven by iPod Touch
Closed
Pretty durable
Look decent

Would the SRH840, HD25-1-II, Denon (AHD2000?) or Beyerdynamic (I'm not sure which models are good) be good suggestions?

All solid choices for sound. The 840 would be the best without an amp and for durability. The HD25 likes to have a bit more power, the Beyers really want more power, the Denon isn't exactly durable. 

Oct 7, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #7,887 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey quick question for you guys should i get the Skullcandy Aviator or TMA-1 or something else something under 300 please

The AIAIAI TMA-1's get a lot of positive feedback from the users here (I actually saw someone at my college wearing a pair). A few people also say the Aviators have decent sound quality.

What kind of music do you listen to?

Quote:
All solid choices for sound. The 840 would be the best without an amp and for durability. The HD25 likes to have a bit more power, the Beyers really want more power, the Denon isn't exactly durable. 

Sorry for the add-on Armaegis, but how would the Sony MDR-V6's fair as a lower limit (price-wise) for a headphone?

Oct 7, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #7,888 of 29,490

Quote:
Sorry for the add-on Armaegis, but how would the Sony MDR-V6's fair as a lower limit (price-wise) for a headphone?

Considering they go for $65 right now on Amazon (and sadly more than double that in Canada...), I consider them a fantastic value and extremely hard to beat in that price bracket for overall sound and build quality. 

Oct 7, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #7,890 of 29,490

Quote:
which one do blocks external noises?

and which one is the best?

Grados block out no noise whatsoever, and leak so much sound that they are arguably just as loud on the outside as they are inside.

The Sony is the easy choice here for isolation. If you need even more isolation within budget, consider the Shure 440, Sennheiser 280, AKG K81.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back