++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 25, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #7,516 of 29,490

Quote:
Any headphones that sound like HD600s with just a tad more forward mids? I love my HD600s but sometimes I want a more engaging headphone...

Armaegis and I overlap a lot around here. lol

Quote:
Does anybody know if the hd598 would be better with the fiio e7+e9 setup or the total bithead amp/dac?

E7 + E9. As stated, more versatile and will power most headphones until you go 'high end'.

Quote:
Quote:
First question. Yes. People would hear your music clearly next to you on the bus. And you'd hear their conversations pretty well. The sound of the bus in general would also be there.

Question 2. Amplifiers amplify. That's all they do. The reason headphone amps make a big difference is pretty much any headphone will benefit from more power. More often than not the sound becomes cleaner and more defined. Even on a headphone that doesn't need one to get LOUDER (AIAIAI TMA-1 for example)...it benefits from having more power. The veil it has is lifted and it sounds very nice. For a cheap portable look to the FiiO E6 or E7. Great place to start. 

You list Electronic music in your preferences and because of that I wouldn't suggest a Grado (other than not really liking them myself :D). Within your budget I'd recommend the HD 598 if you're okay with it being open. Genres you mentioned they excel at (IMO): Jazz, Classical, Sountracks, Electronic. Other than that they're a very good all rounder that works well with any genre you throw at them. I like them for rock but I won't say they excel at it because some people prefer something else. If you want a closed headphone check out the HD 25-1 II. Another very good all rounder, and it's very portable and rugged. The only problem there is I'd call the highs their weak spot (but not by any means bad). 

My electronic music is very limited. If we cut that out of the list of genres, Would you suggest different headphones? My music collection is probably about 40% rock and goes down from there (Soundtracks, classical, jazz,, in that order), so something taht performs better on that end would be nice. I'm not dismissing the HD 598's, but I am looking for more suggestions and options.

Thanks,

Tree_Burner

Honestly...no. I'd still recommend the 598. I would recommend a Grado but I just can't bring myself to do it most of the time. I always think 'A Grado might be good here.' and then I remember the 598 and go with that because I (personally) much preferred it.

There are some die hard Grado fans out there though. I guess it's just not right for me. 

tl;dr - HD 598 is still what I'd suggest.

Sep 25, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #7,517 of 29,490
Hey i'm looking for a pair of headphones, I'm only going to use them at home.
Price: 0-250$
Music: listening to regular pop, rnb,some techno and house.
Want headphones with alot of bass not too much thou, i still want mid and treble. They should be fairly easy driven i'm gonna hook them up to my Receiver. 
beerchug.gif

Sep 25, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #7,518 of 29,490

Quote:
What about the XB500 vs the shures SRH440 and the senns HD 25-1? Which do you guys think is better? I usually use it to listen to rap music but sometimes I listen to other genre. 

Quote:
How do the Shure 840s compare to the Shure 440s? Price seems to be almost double (SRH840=2xSRH440) but is it worth?

Going to answer these two together.

In terms of sheer sound/$ value, I think the 440 is the better deal. With that in mind, I really liked the Shure 840 (and I paid yet another double for that up here in Canada). The 840 has much stronger and more extended bass than the 440.

The XB500 has more bass than the 840, but is nowhere near as clean/detailed. Even the 440 is better in that regard.

The HD25-1-ii is currently the priciest option of the bunch. Great punchy bass that hits harder than the 840 but doesn't. The highs on the HD25-1-ii are also probably the best in the bunch.

Quote:
Yes, unfortunately it has to be closed. But let's say for a moment I'm more flexible, How is the bass on the 880s?

Thanks for answering, btw.

The bass is very good actually, with arguably better extension compared to the 770/990, though it doesn't "whomp" like the 770. A recent poster in the Beyer comparison thread noted that burn-in seems to significantly affect (improve) the bass of the 880. I've never listened to a brand new DT880, so I can't comment there.

Quote:
Armaegis and I overlap a lot around here. lol

Great minds think alike
rolleyes.gif

But we differ enough that you know we're not just parroting each other, and the times we do match you know that it's a pretty solid recommendation.

Quote:
Hey i'm looking for a pair of headphones, I'm only going to use them at home.
Price: 0-250$
Music: listening to regular pop, rnb,some techno and house.
Want headphones with alot of bass not too much thou, i still want mid and treble. They should be fairly easy driven i'm gonna hook them up to my Receiver. 
beerchug.gif

Shure 840
Phiaton PS500
Ultrasone Pro750
Pioneer HDJ-2000
Denon D2000 (if you can find a sale or buy used)

Sep 25, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #7,519 of 29,490

Personally, I felt the 750 was better than the M50.

Futureshop offers the HD25 Adidas for $199 quite frequently. I say wait until that sale comes back on.

If you've never tried an Ultrasone, I say go with that. I say everyone needs to try out the S-Logic at least once.

Does it have to be closed? The Beyer DT880 is a nice headphone as well.

The Senn 680 series are pretty good for workouts. Decent sound, easy to clean, various securing methods depending which version you get.

750s are just too uncomfortable. What are some good package forwarding services, in case Amazon has a sale again?

Sep 25, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #7,520 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:
Best headphones for Metal under $200?!

Hello

I am going to get a Cowon J3 and I read the included headphones don't really use the full player's potential. So I want to get a pair of good quality head phones as well. My budget for the headphones is $200.

I will be listening Folk, Symphonic and Death metal mainly, but pretty much almost all other metal genres too. My main focus is obviously sound quality, however I'd like some portability as well. The ones I am considering now are the Sennheiser HD 598 and the Denon AH-D1100.

On one hand it seems the Sennheiser have better sound balance and look well built, however there seems to be an issue with the plastics cracking, cable is very long and they leak sound which is not good for portability. On the other hand, the Denon seem more portable friendly and have gread audio quality but they look kind of cheap on pictures and videos and I am concerned the increased bass may not be the best match for metal music. 

Which ones would you recommend I get? Feel free to suggest other brands or models.

Should I get a portable headphones amp? If so, which would work best with your recommended headphones? 

Any reply will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!.

The HD598 is really not a good portable choice at all. It's large and doesn't fold in any way, and is also open so you'll be fighting with outside noise. The D1100 is a much better choice, though still a bit big and non-folding as well.

How about something like the Senn HD25-1-ii? It has a great sound for metal, is small and rugged and easily portable and also comfortable worn around the neck. It runs better with an amp, but doesn't need one to sound good.

Thanks for you reply. This is great advice!. I watched a couple of reviews of the Sennheiser HD25-1 II and I've decided on them. Thanks again.

Sep 25, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #7,521 of 29,490
Newb alert!!!

Hoping somebody can help me here...

Looking to buy my 1st set of full size headphones.  I live in a household with 3 females, so I think closed back will be the best option for me!

Budget is around £50-£75, but could be pushed if makes a big difference.  I mainly listen to older (well recorded) rock, acoustic and folk.  At the moment, I have in mind the HD348 or 448, but I notice that the 448s are sometimes accused of lacking bass.  I am open to any other suggestions.

My source at the moment is a Rockboxed clip+, and my current headphones are PX100s (the older type) - so that's my only point of reference.  Thanks.

Sep 25, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #7,522 of 29,490

Quote:
Newb alert!!!

Looking to buy my 1st set of full size headphones.  I live in a household with 3 females, so I think closed back will be the best option for me!

Budget is around £50-£75, but could be pushed if makes a big difference.  I mainly listen to older (well recorded) rock, acoustic and folk.  At the moment, I have in mind the HD348 or 448, but I notice that the 448s are sometimes accused of lacking bass.  I am open to any other suggestions.

My source at the moment is a Rockboxed clip+, and my current headphones are PX100s (the older type) - so that's my only point of reference.  Thanks.

SennHD280 is fantastic at isolation. Not sure if that's within budget in Europe. There's also the Sony V6/7506 that does a pretty good job at isolating and plays well with acoustc, though it sits more on the ear rather than around (but it becomes nearly circumaural if you actually snip open the stiching on the inside of the pad).

Sep 25, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #7,523 of 29,490

Quote:
Newb alert!!!

How about HD439?  Its the improved version of HD438, which is the bass heavy version of HD448, and it sounds pretty good for the money.

Sep 25, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #7,524 of 29,490
[size=medium]Hey everyone, I own a pair of ATH AD900s and really love them but after trying out some DT 990s (32 OHMs) I want something with a little more bass. I would have kept the DT 990s but they ended up giving me a headache. I’d like something that’s as easy to drive, as the AD900s because I plan to use them without an AMP.[/size]

[size=medium]Thanks for your suggestions. [/size]

Sep 25, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #7,525 of 29,490

Quote:
[size=medium]Hey everyone, I own a pair of ATH AD900s and really love them but after trying out some DT 990s (32 OHMs) I want something with a little more bass. I would have kept the DT 990s but they ended up giving me a headache. I’d like something that’s as easy to drive, as the AD900s because I plan to use them without an AMP.[/size]

[size=medium]Thanks for your suggestions. [/size]

Were you able to identify what part of the DT990 sound gave you a headache?  (I'm guessing it was either too much bass or too much treble).

Quote:
How about HD439?  Its the improved version of HD438, which is the bass heavy version of HD448, and it sounds pretty good for the money.

Whoa, when did they release the 439/449? That's the first I've heard of it. I really like the aesthetic of the 439.

Sep 25, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #7,526 of 29,490
Thanks for the rapid replies.

Looking about, I can see the 439s on the Sennheiser site, but very little else - are they just released?

Also, I've been reading the shootout, and am now leaning towards the ATH M50 too!

Sep 25, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #7,527 of 29,490

Quote:
Were you able to identify what part of the DT990 sound gave you a headache?  (I'm guessing it was either too much bass or too much treble).

It was the treble.

I'll also go ahead and add that I use my AD900s for everything from listening to music, playing video games, to watching random videos. I'd like to do the same with whatever other headphones I buy.

Sep 25, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #7,528 of 29,490
Hey guys, I'm looking for some new headphones for around $100-150. So far I'm looking at the HFI-580 and ATH-M50 but I think I would prefer open headphones (I don't care about noise isolation/leakage). Also, it looks like the cheapest you can get the M50 anymore is $160 which seems a little much. The HD558 look good but the impression I get it is people don't like them too much?

Any advice? I listen to mostly hip-hop/electronic music and I'll be using these unamped, at least for a while.

Sep 25, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #7,529 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys, I'm looking for some new headphones for around $100-150. So far I'm looking at the HFI-580 and ATH-M50 but I think I would prefer open headphones (I don't care about noise isolation/leakage). Also, it looks like the cheapest you can get the M50 anymore is $160 which seems a little much. The HD558 look good but the impression I get it is people don't like them too much?

Any advice? I listen to mostly hip-hop/electronic music and I'll be using these unamped, at least for a while.

HFI 580 sounds about right.

Sep 25, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #7,530 of 29,490

Quote:

HFI 580 sounds about right.

He said he would prefer open phones.  Open, easy to drive, decent bass for hip hop, $100-$150= Beyerdynamic DT440.  They have been called the groovalizers due to their good PRaT factor.  Unfortunately they have really ever caught on here for some reason though they are highly recommended on other forums. Id recommend the AD700, MS-1, M50, DT440 over the HD558 if they are at all similar to the HD555 (not bad but easily beaten by others in the price range).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back