++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 25, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #7,502 of 29,490
Ultrasone Pro 750. Bass is amazing but not overpowering. I'd call them Neutral but very much on the attack. 

They have some great impact across the spectrum, but everything falls into place nicely. One of my favorites in the price range...and they're closed.

Quote:
Looking for neutral headphones at around $300 or less. Must be closed back. I was set on the Fischer Audio FA-002ws, but I just read that there is a good 5 week wait on average from order to when you receive them.
frown.gif

I'd prefer them to have decent bass, still neutral, just not anemic.

Thanks.

Sep 25, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #7,504 of 29,490
Ultrasone Pro 750. Bass is amazing but not overpowering. I'd call them Neutral but very much on the attack. 

They have some great impact across the spectrum, but everything falls into place nicely. One of my favorites in the price range...and they're closed.

You know I've been going over the options thinking I missed something. Forgot about the 750s. If I can't get a pair of FA-002ws, I'll really look into those. Thanks man.

Sep 25, 2011 at 2:36 AM Post #7,505 of 29,490
Does anybody know if the hd598 would be better with the fiio e7+e9 setup or the total bithead amp/dac?

Sep 25, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #7,506 of 29,490
First question. Yes. People would hear your music clearly next to you on the bus. And you'd hear their conversations pretty well. The sound of the bus in general would also be there.

Question 2. Amplifiers amplify. That's all they do. The reason headphone amps make a big difference is pretty much any headphone will benefit from more power. More often than not the sound becomes cleaner and more defined. Even on a headphone that doesn't need one to get LOUDER (AIAIAI TMA-1 for example)...it benefits from having more power. The veil it has is lifted and it sounds very nice. For a cheap portable look to the FiiO E6 or E7. Great place to start. 

You list Electronic music in your preferences and because of that I wouldn't suggest a Grado (other than not really liking them myself :D). Within your budget I'd recommend the HD 598 if you're okay with it being open. Genres you mentioned they excel at (IMO): Jazz, Classical, Sountracks, Electronic. Other than that they're a very good all rounder that works well with any genre you throw at them. I like them for rock but I won't say they excel at it because some people prefer something else. If you want a closed headphone check out the HD 25-1 II. Another very good all rounder, and it's very portable and rugged. The only problem there is I'd call the highs their weak spot (but not by any means bad). 

My electronic music is very limited. If we cut that out of the list of genres, Would you suggest different headphones? My music collection is probably about 40% rock and goes down from there (Soundtracks, classical, jazz,, in that order), so something taht performs better on that end would be nice. I'm not dismissing the HD 598's, but I am looking for more suggestions and options.

Thanks,

Tree_Burner

Sep 25, 2011 at 2:50 AM Post #7,507 of 29,490
Can you guys suggest me a headphone within $150 or £100? I will buy it from UK or ship it to the UK. So, please try to post ebay or amazon links to the product you are referring to.

An all rounder is preferred even though I mainly listen to metal, rock and pop but not much hip hop and others. Closed/open/semi open does not matter so long as I get what I want. Bass should not be weak, but not so overwhelming to cover up frequencies. I will run them with an Asus Xonar Essence STX with an internal headphone amp, so impedence is not a problem (upto 600 ohm).

My current choice is this => http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shure-SRH440-Studio-Monitor-Headphones-/330617807806?pt=UK_Consumer_Professional_RL&hash=item4cfa5b63be (Shure SRH440)

Anything better? Please...

Sep 25, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #7,509 of 29,490

Quote:
I was thinking of upgrading from my humble Fiio e7 setup and is wondering if it is better to buy a e9 or a total bithead and sell the e7? I currently own a Sennheiser HD598. If anybody can tell me which combo can make the Senns sound better it would be great.

Go with the e7+e9 combo. Good versatility and plenty of power for any future cans.

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for the help. I read about the Fischer Audio FA-003 and FA-002w (for wooden), have you heard them? :)
(by the way, are the models you quoted the overly bassy ones, or the ones I should look at?)

Sorry, I've never heard any Fischer headphones so I can't help there.

The DT1350 is not a bassy headphone, though it does have excellent bass extension. It only ever feels bassy for those electronic genres that push tones down into 30Hz territory where most other headphones can barely manage harmonics.

The MS400 are bassy, but more midbass focused than pure bass.

Ultrasone HFi580/Pro750/Pro900 are all quite bassy.

Quote:
I'm selling my SRH750DJs for about $150 on eBay and getting a different headphones. Maybe ATH-M50? I would've got HD25s when they were on sale on Amazon, but they only ship in USA.

Sent from my iPod touch 4g using Tapatalk

Personally, I felt the 750 was better than the M50.

Futureshop offers the HD25 Adidas for $199 quite frequently. I say wait until that sale comes back on.

Quote:
Looking to change up a bit from my Denon D2000s.

I'm a huge fan of the headphones, but lately I've been wanting something that's different but doesn't stray from my love of nice bass and detailed highs (in other words no overly dark or flat, neutral headphones need apply).  Perhaps more on the mids and prat and less on the depth of bass.

I have the Ultrasone 780s and Sony XB 1000s in sight.

Any other recommendations?

If you've never tried an Ultrasone, I say go with that. I say everyone needs to try out the S-Logic at least once.

Does it have to be closed? The Beyer DT880 is a nice headphone as well.

Quote:
Hi there.

I've got my main portable rig all sorted out nicely (WhipMod->WhipLOD->RSA SR71A->Terminator (V4) Darth Beyers. Very, VERY happy with the results.

But now I need a tiny auxiliary rig for exercising. I'll be using the Sansa Clip+, and - to keep it small - I don't think I'll even amp it. I'm just looking for a recommendation for small headphones. IEMs and ear buds aren't my first choice - as they tend to fall out easily under the best of circumstances, let alone with lots of movement and sweating. I was thinking about the Koss PortaPros - but I'm afraid the metal band would pull out hairs. Perhaps the Senn PX 100-II? I'm open to ideas, they just need to stay on my ears, not require amplification, and be fairly cheap.

I've got great sound already - just need something that's not awful now that I'm spoiled.

Edit: I was just looking at the Soundmagic PL50 as well - which looks like it might be a good choice, since they have the over ear "hooks" to stay in place. Would those be a good choice?

The Senn 680 series are pretty good for workouts. Decent sound, easy to clean, various securing methods depending which version you get.

Sep 25, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #7,510 of 29,490

Quote:
Looking for neutral headphones at around $300 or less. Must be closed back. I was set on the Fischer Audio FA-002ws, but I just read that there is a good 5 week wait on average from order to when you receive them.
frown.gif

I'd prefer them to have decent bass, still neutral, just not anemic.

Thanks.

slight bass tilt: Shure 840
slight treble tilt: Sony V6, Shure 940
closed but leaks: Denon D2000
portable: Audio Technica ESW9a

Quote:
Hey everyone, still pretty new to the community but I love it so far. I've learned so much just by clicking and reading random threads. Anyways I have a question regarding buying some new headphones. So my girlfriend is cramping my style and complains everytime I listen to my HD 650's. She says they are too loud and she can't concentrate...it's unfortunate that in our office her desk is next to mine. So after countless complaints I said screw I'll just buy a pair of closed headphones. Thats where I need some help. I haven't heard enough closed phones to make an informed decision. (I've only listen really to open aire Sennheiser and Grado's). 

I've been looking on Amazon and other places for used Denon 2000, 5000, and 7000's. Would those give me sound thats close to my beloved HD 650's? My gear is as follows: Marantz CD5004, Marantz PM5004 and a PC with a Sound Blaster X-FI HD. In my other thread I was contemplating buying a dedicated headphone amp as well, but after this last complaint from my gf I think closed headphones should be first. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

The Denons are great headphones, but they leak so badly you'd almost think they're open. You can get better pads which will somewhat fix this though.

You could try something like a Shure 840 or 940 (vaguely similar to the Senn or Grado respectively), which both have excellent isolation.

Quote:
Best headphones for Metal under $200?!

Hello

I am going to get a Cowon J3 and I read the included headphones don't really use the full player's potential. So I want to get a pair of good quality head phones as well. My budget for the headphones is $200.

I will be listening Folk, Symphonic and Death metal mainly, but pretty much almost all other metal genres too. My main focus is obviously sound quality, however I'd like some portability as well. The ones I am considering now are the Sennheiser HD 598 and the Denon AH-D1100.

On one hand it seems the Sennheiser have better sound balance and look well built, however there seems to be an issue with the plastics cracking, cable is very long and they leak sound which is not good for portability. On the other hand, the Denon seem more portable friendly and have gread audio quality but they look kind of cheap on pictures and videos and I am concerned the increased bass may not be the best match for metal music. 

Which ones would you recommend I get? Feel free to suggest other brands or models.

Should I get a portable headphones amp? If so, which would work best with your recommended headphones? 

Any reply will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!.

The HD598 is really not a good portable choice at all. It's large and doesn't fold in any way, and is also open so you'll be fighting with outside noise. The D1100 is a much better choice, though still a bit big and non-folding as well.

How about something like the Senn HD25-1-ii? It has a great sound for metal, is small and rugged and easily portable and also comfortable worn around the neck. It runs better with an amp, but doesn't need one to sound good.

Quote:
Anyone care to recommend ~$150 headphones for rock, classical, acoustic pop, and some jazz and electric blues?

Few things. I'm going to be using it primarily with a Cowon J3 (no amp) and I need something that's foldable, for semi-portability.

Phiaton MS300
Sony V6/7506
Shure 440

Quote:
So this headphone recommendation is for a college friend of mine.

I'm not sure what kind of music she listens to, so I'm looking for a headphone that can work with most genres of music (I'll update you guys if I get any news about what kind of music she does like). She previously owned a pair of Audio Technicas (I'm not sure what model it is), but it broke after 2 years.

<$200 USD
Noise cancelling
Durable

I would have recommended a Bose since they're easy to find and their noise canceling is better than the Beats, but I don't have much experience with noise canceling headphones in the first place.

As usual, thank you all for any help you can provide.

Does it have to be an active noise cancelling circuit, or would passive isolation be good enough?

Good passive isolating headphones:
Beyer DT770pro - large, not really portable, bassy
Senn HD25 - small and rugged but not very pretty
Senn HD280/380 - full size but fold up

Sep 25, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #7,511 of 29,490

Quote:
Any headphones that sound like HD600s with just a tad more forward mids? I love my HD600s but sometimes I want a more engaging headphone...

Senn HD650 or 598
Beyer DT880
Audio Technica AD2000 - not really a Senn sound, but midcentric

Quote:
Can you guys suggest me a headphone within $150 or £100? I will buy it from UK or ship it to the UK. So, please try to post ebay or amazon links to the product you are referring to.

An all rounder is preferred even though I mainly listen to metal, rock and pop but not much hip hop and others. Closed/open/semi open does not matter so long as I get what I want. Bass should not be weak, but not so overwhelming to cover up frequencies.

My current choice is this => http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shure-SRH440-Studio-Monitor-Headphones-/330617807806?pt=UK_Consumer_Professional_RL&hash=item4cfa5b63be (Shure SRH440)

Anything better? Please...

Shure 440 or Sony V6/7506 are good choices.

Sep 25, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #7,513 of 29,490

Quote:
Go with the e7+e9 combo. Good versatility and plenty of power for any future cans.

Sorry, I've never heard any Fischer headphones so I can't help there.

The DT1350 is not a bassy headphone, though it does have excellent bass extension. It only ever feels bassy for those electronic genres that push tones down into 30Hz territory where most other headphones can barely manage harmonics.

The MS400 are bassy, but more midbass focused than pure bass.

Ultrasone HFi580/Pro750/Pro900 are all quite bassy.

Personally, I felt the 750 was better than the M50.

Futureshop offers the HD25 Adidas for $199 quite frequently. I say wait until that sale comes back on.

If you've never tried an Ultrasone, I say go with that. I say everyone needs to try out the S-Logic at least once.

The Senn 680 series are pretty good for workouts. Decent sound, easy to clean, various securing methods depending which version you get.

Thanks a lot Armaegis :) 

Sep 25, 2011 at 7:59 AM Post #7,515 of 29,490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, unfortunately it has to be closed. But let's say for a moment I'm more flexible, How is the bass on the 880s?

Thanks for answering, btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back