++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 24, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #7,472 of 29,490
does the pro 900 require an amp cuz i dont really want an amp

Sep 24, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #7,473 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi ,

I'm going to choose between ATH-M50 / ATH-M50S ,or AKG 701 ..

but i'm still newbie at headphones ,
so i would like to ask you all who have purchased and played with it ,

which one would fit me? AKG , or ATH?
ah , or , maybe you can also give me suggestions , my budget is around 300 bucks ..

i'm listening to jazz , blues , maybe some oldies , instrumental ..

p.s: i don't need any "extra bass" , i guess :\
and i think i will use that headphone for a long time , so i will need something comfortable to wear ..

any suggestion? thanks for reading and answering
smily_headphones1.gif

and sorry for my bad english
frown.gif
english isn't my primary language at my country lol , so i still having a lot of trouble x__x

Not the ATH-M50's. They don't excell in any of the genres you mentioned, in fact they really dont excell in anything but electronic, IMHO.

Even then, they still have fatiguing treble which you will notice and it will bother you. 

Since you mentioned you don't need extra bass, i would definately recommend the 701 out of your 2 choices...but they arent really a good all rounder either.

Maybe try a sennheiser 598 as mentioned above, i heard it is balanced and plays nicely without an amp and rounds well

Sep 24, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #7,475 of 29,490
I'm selling my SRH750DJs for about $150 on eBay and getting a different headphones. Maybe ATH-M50? I would've got HD25s when they were on sale on Amazon, but they only ship in USA.

Sent from my iPod touch 4g using Tapatalk

Sep 24, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #7,476 of 29,490

Quote:
Last week I heard the Bose AE2 side by side with the Sennheiser HD558 and I think you would really love the HD558.

Good value amp. Portable Fiio E5 or desktop Fiio E9 with E7 dac if you need it. The Bose AE2 was ok, just over priced compared to the 558.

Quote:
HD 598 sounds perfect. Excellent for gaming and Classical. As for Hip-hop...if you like hearing the words in the song more than the bass you'll like the 598. DubStep is a little different with the 598, but I prefer it to most SUPER BASS headphones for EDM. 

As far as amping goes I don't think the 598 needs one but they benefit from one. Because you're looking at open headphones I assume you're not too worried about them being portable. In which case I would recommend the NuForce uDac. 

The 598 and a uDac are a great place to start this hobby off, IMO.

EDIT: Don't take that to mean they are bass light. They are not. They have quite a healthy amount of bass.

Thank you both for your response it looks like i will get the hd598's just one last question.  Is there a "Burn in time" with these headphones? 

Sep 24, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #7,477 of 29,490
Looking to change up a bit from my Denon D2000s.

I'm a huge fan of the headphones, but lately I've been wanting something that's different but doesn't stray from my love of nice bass and detailed highs (in other words no overly dark or flat, neutral headphones need apply).  Perhaps more on the mids and prat and less on the depth of bass.

I have the Ultrasone 780s and Sony XB 1000s in sight.

Any other recommendations?

Sep 24, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #7,479 of 29,490
Hi there.

I've got my main portable rig all sorted out nicely (WhipMod->WhipLOD->RSA SR71A->Terminator (V4) Darth Beyers. Very, VERY happy with the results.

But now I need a tiny auxiliary rig for exercising. I'll be using the Sansa Clip+, and - to keep it small - I don't think I'll even amp it. I'm just looking for a recommendation for small headphones. IEMs and ear buds aren't my first choice - as they tend to fall out easily under the best of circumstances, let alone with lots of movement and sweating. I was thinking about the Koss PortaPros - but I'm afraid the metal band would pull out hairs. Perhaps the Senn PX 100-II? I'm open to ideas, they just need to stay on my ears, not require amplification, and be fairly cheap.

I've got great sound already - just need something that's not awful now that I'm spoiled.

Edit: I was just looking at the Soundmagic PL50 as well - which looks like it might be a good choice, since they have the over ear "hooks" to stay in place. Would those be a good choice?

Sep 24, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #7,482 of 29,490
Thank you both so much.  I can not wait to get these headphones.

Quote:
Yes. Just leave them connected and playing for a week non stop. That will do wonders.

Quote:
Right at or slightly above your normal listening levels. Some burn in with noise but I would just use music you like. It doesn't really matter in my experience. Just gotta give the drivers a workout.

Sep 24, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #7,484 of 29,490
Looking for neutral headphones at around $300 or less. Must be closed back. I was set on the Fischer Audio FA-002ws, but I just read that there is a good 5 week wait on average from order to when you receive them. :frowning2:

I'd prefer them to have decent bass, still neutral, just not anemic.

Thanks.

Sep 24, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #7,485 of 29,490
Hey everyone, still pretty new to the community but I love it so far. I've learned so much just by clicking and reading random threads. Anyways I have a question regarding buying some new headphones. So my girlfriend is cramping my style and complains everytime I listen to my HD 650's. She says they are too loud and she can't concentrate...it's unfortunate that in our office her desk is next to mine. So after countless complaints I said screw I'll just buy a pair of closed headphones. Thats where I need some help. I haven't heard enough closed phones to make an informed decision. (I've only listen really to open aire Sennheiser and Grado's). 

I've been looking on Amazon and other places for used Denon 2000, 5000, and 7000's. Would those give me sound thats close to my beloved HD 650's? My gear is as follows: Marantz CD5004, Marantz PM5004 and a PC with a Sound Blaster X-FI HD. In my other thread I was contemplating buying a dedicated headphone amp as well, but after this last complaint from my gf I think closed headphones should be first. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back