++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 14, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #7,156 of 29,490
Hey everyone, I'm new to the audiophile world. I purchased a pair of Shure SRH440s about a year and a half ago as my first decent pair of headphones and loved them. I'm looking to upgrade now, but not sure exactly to what, with a budget of about $300 (a little over is ok). I'd like a closed back pair because I listen to music in the presence of others often, as for genres I listen to classical, progressive/new metal as well as techno/drum&bass/dubstep. I was mainly debating between the Denon D2000 and the Ultrasone 900 pros, or the Audio Technica ATH w1000's (if they're really worth it). What do you guys think? Are there any other cans I should be considering?

Thanks in advance :)

Dmyster

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #7,157 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey everyone, I'm new to the audiophile world. I purchased a pair of Shure SRH440s about a year and a half ago as my first decent pair of headphones and loved them. I'm looking to upgrade now, but not sure exactly to what, with a budget of about $300 (a little over is ok). I'd like a closed back pair because I listen to music in the presence of others often, as for genres I listen to classical, progressive/new metal as well as techno/drum&bass/dubstep. I was mainly debating between the Denon D2000 and the Ultrasone 900 pros, or the Audio Technica ATH w1000's (if they're really worth it). What do you guys think? Are there any other cans I should be considering?

Dmyster

Shure 940

if you want to stay with the same sound

If you want a different one, one with more bass, look at the Ultrasone Pro750. Because the Pro900 needs a amp. The 750 don't

Get them off B&H photo for $235 and also look at the Ibasso D-zero as a amp/DAC

Sep 14, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #7,158 of 29,490

Quote:
Shure 940

if you want to stay with the same sound

If you want a different one, one with more bass, look at the Ultrasone Pro750. Because the Pro900 needs a amp. The 750 don't

Get them off B&H photo for $235 and also look at the Ibasso D-zero as a amp/DAC

I enjoy the sound from the 440s but need a little more bass. For amp/dac I am pretty clueless, I was planning on picking up a Fiio e7 and get the e9 shortly after, or a Nuforce udac-2. You'd recommend the Ibasso D-zero? Concerning amp/dac I'd prefer it to be portable (I'll get a desktop amp later) and under 200$. Also, I forgot to mention I was looking at the AKG 272HD and DT880 as well.

Once again, thanks for all your help :)

Dmyster

Sep 14, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #7,159 of 29,490
Hello all I hope this would be a good thread to try and decide which type of ultrasone to purchase I have mainly been looking at the pro900 and hfi780 (possibly with ALO mod). I had a few questions about these models in that I would mainly be using these for portable use at an arcade. Games I would usually play have a wide assortment of music but mainly electronic or female vocal songs. I have already tried the hfi 550s and I liked the sound signature but I would like better SQ but still want the music to still have that "fun" factor to it.

Some background on what I mainly use right now is my AD-2000s with a LD 1+ amp. Also are there any reliable sources to get velour pads for the hfi780?

Ill try here since I shouldn't have asked for help in an appreciation thread haha.

Sep 14, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #7,160 of 29,490

Quote:
Looking for bass-strong headphones. 

A friend tried some Beats Studio and really liked them (the bass). So I'm looking for something between 100-200 bucks that performs in bass like that or better. I guess he's looking for more of a good bass extension rather than a tight bass.

So I've come across a couple headphones, but not sure what to go with. ATH-M50, HFI-580/780, Phiaton MS400, or SRH750. Need something which you can feel the bass in your head with, so I guess it shouldn't be too punchy in the mid or upper lows.

He didn't like the Sony and Denon alternatives, please don't recommend those =). Oh, and he already has DT880s so he doesn't want another Beyer. 

Thanks.

Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 80-Ohm have a nice thump.
Sometimes you can get them as refurbs for a good price.
check Beyerdynamic's U.S.A. eBay site "bd-usa".

Sep 14, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #7,161 of 29,490
I enjoy the sound from the 440s but need a little more bass. For amp/dac I am pretty clueless, I was planning on picking up a Fiio e7 and get the e9 shortly after, or a Nuforce udac-2. You'd recommend the Ibasso D-zero? Concerning amp/dac I'd prefer it to be portable (I'll get a desktop amp later) and under 200$. Also, I forgot to mention I was looking at the AKG 272HD and DT880 as well.

Dmyster

A fair warning about the SRH940's, they lack the mid-bass sound that produces the 'thump thump' sound in your music, but the low bass extends pretty far. Without that mid-bass sound you may find the 940's bass rather thin, unless you apply an EQ to them. You might want to check out their previous SRH840 model for better bass impact. The 940's really excel in the mids and highs and are perfect for mosy jazz, vocals especially female vocals, and industrial rock music.

Sep 14, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #7,162 of 29,490

Quote:
Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 80-Ohm have a nice thump.
Sometimes you can get them as refurbs for a good price.
check Beyerdynamic's U.S.A. eBay site "bd-usa".

I said no Beyerdynamics.

Sep 14, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #7,163 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I am sorry that I am reposting because some reason my post got ignored. I do think your guys have a lot of experience with headphones and I treat your recommendation dearly. 

I am looking for a full size closed around ear headphone. It seems most people rave about ATH-M50. I have some doubt because it seems the price has gone up. It is about USD150 on amazon. It is not as cheap as it used to be. At 100-200 price range does it still hold its value? Would there be any other alternatives better than M50 in this price range? I also have reservation against Audio-Technica. My previously owned ATH-M40fs has good reviews on amazon, but to me, the high and low can be easily separated, but within the sound range bass are relatively muddy to me compared to Sennheiser PX100. It is not easily differentiating different instrumental parts. Kind of similar Bose AE2 or QE headphones sold in target (one of them has noise canceling) in terms of muddi-ness, but better. (You can also say PX100 has relative wide soundstage for different tracks. I don't know what midrange is though.) I was more happy when I owned Sennheiser HD203 even though it doesn't have much clarity, but it was hell of cheap.

Warmth is not a priority to me. The ability to hear imperfection in a recording seem like a hobby to me. Accurate sound reproduction seems more important. I can describe my preference for headphones are similar to Shure SM57 v. condenser mics. I listen to soundtracks from computer sources mostly so genre wise have wide variety. I always have my headphones on all the time on daily basis, so if they are comfortable they would help my big head wearing glasses. Ideally any recommendation under 100 mark would be nice, but I am open to anything up to 200.

Thank you so much for reading it!

How about one of the Sennheiser HD5xx series? Or Shure 440, Sony V6/7506, or maybe even a Fostex T50rp.

Quote:
Looking for bass-strong headphones. 

A friend tried some Beats Studio and really liked them (the bass). So I'm looking for something between 100-200 bucks that performs in bass like that or better. I guess he's looking for more of a good bass extension rather than a tight bass.

So I've come across a couple headphones, but not sure what to go with. ATH-M50, HFI-580/780, Phiaton MS400, or SRH750. Need something which you can feel the bass in your head with, so I guess it shouldn't be too punchy in the mid or upper lows.

He didn't like the Sony and Denon alternatives, please don't recommend those =). Oh, and he already has DT880s so he doesn't want another Beyer. 

Thanks.

head rattlers...
Audio Technica HFi580, Pro700
Ultrasone Pro750/900
M-Audio Q40
Sony XB700/1000

Quote:

Dmyster

If portability/durability is a concern at all, go with the Ultrasone.

Quote:
Hello all I hope this would be a good thread to try and decide which type of ultrasone to purchase I have mainly been looking at the pro900 and hfi780 (possibly with ALO mod). I had a few questions about these models in that I would mainly be using these for portable use at an arcade. Games I would usually play have a wide assortment of music but mainly electronic or female vocal songs. I have already tried the hfi 550s and I liked the sound signature but I would like better SQ but still want the music to still have that "fun" factor to it.

Some background on what I mainly use right now is my AD-2000s with a LD 1+ amp. Also are there any reliable sources to get velour pads for the hfi780?

Ill try here since I shouldn't have asked for help in an appreciation thread haha.

For vocals, I would lean towards the 780. No idea where to get pads other than maybe ebay.

Sep 14, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #7,164 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm looking for a good budget-fi open set of cans which contrast heavily with my SR-60i. Looking for a good side-grade, not upgrade in otherwords. Would the HD238 be it, or do they overlap in sound signature too much?

I have had the SR-60 (not i version) for several years and the Sennheiser HD238 for about a year.  I use them at the office.  They do sound different. The Grado has more shimmery highs; the Sennheiser has stronger bass.  The Grado feels quicker and seems slightly more efficient.  I find that I use the Sennheiser more because it is more comfortable.  I could live happily with both.  I do not have experience with other Sennheisers in the price range of the Grado; it is possible that others have a more markedly different sound signature.  An inexpensive headphone that sounds different from the SR-60 in the same direction as the HD238, but even more so, is the Koss PortaPro.  If you do not have a PortaPro yet, you may consider that for a side-grade.  I use the PortaPro (at home) more often than any other headphone I own.

Sep 14, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #7,166 of 29,490
@Armaegis and Parall3l

He has preemptively ordered the HFi 780, and if he likes the sound but thinks he needs more bass, he'll trade for the 580.

I'll tell him to look into the M-Audio if not convinced by Ultrasone.

The Ultrasone Pro 750/900 are out of budget. Not really interested in the Audio Technicas, already got similar sounding headphones.

He didn't want the Sonys.

So it'll basically be HFI780/580 or Q40.

Thanks =).

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #7,167 of 29,490
Quote:

Dmyster

Have you tried the 840 pads on them? It's supposed to bring out some more bass and make them a lot more comfortable.

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #7,168 of 29,490

Quote:

Whoops, haha thanks. Can't believe I goofed like that.

Quote:
@Armaegis and Parall3l

He has preemptively ordered the HFi 780, and if he likes the sound but thinks he needs more bass, he'll trade for the 580.

I'll tell him to look into the M-Audio if not convinced by Ultrasone.

The Ultrasone Pro 750/900 are out of budget. Not really interested in the Audio Technicas, already got similar sounding headphones.

He didn't want the Sonys.

So it'll basically be HFI780/580 or Q40.

Thanks =).

The Q40 can also take the DT770/880/990 pads for added comfort and isolation, and better bass response (there's also the gel pads if you want even more isolation/bass). The pads aren't the cheapest thing though, but the Q40 is relatively affordable compared to other headphones.

Sep 15, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #7,169 of 29,490
open or closed is fine 
im using my samsung galaxy s to power it without amp
music all kind 
and must be at least better then ms1 ( since a school bully has 1 :p
preferably less then 100 but can go to 150

Users who are viewing this thread

Back