++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 15, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #7,171 of 29,490
Hi everyone,

I will probably be buying the AKG K702 within a few days, but I'm not sure what amp to get with the headphones.  I already have the Fiio E7, which I acquired from a friend for a low price.  Would the E7/E9 combo suit the AKG K702 well?  I've read that the 702s can always use a better amp, but I'm trying to keep my budget as low as possible for now
smile.gif

Anyone have experience on using the K702 with the E7/E9 and have an opinion on the matter?  Thanks.

Sep 15, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #7,172 of 29,490

Quote:
open or closed is fine 
im using my samsung galaxy s to power it without amp
music all kind 
and must be at least better then ms1 ( since a school bully has 1 :p
preferably less then 100 but can go to 150

Shure 750/840
Audio Technica M50
Sony XB700
Pioneer HDJ500
Sony ZX700
Sennheiser HD558
Fostex T50rp (and spend the remainder on a small amp, and a few dollars for some poster putty and felt to mod the insides)

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I will probably be buying the AKG K702 within a few days, but I'm not sure what amp to get with the headphones.  I already have the Fiio E7, which I acquired from a friend for a low price.  Would the E7/E9 combo suit the AKG K702 well?  I've read that the 702s can always use a better amp, but I'm trying to keep my budget as low as possible for now
smile.gif

Anyone have experience on using the K702 with the E7/E9 and have an opinion on the matter?  Thanks.

A lot of people here are happy with the K701/2 and e7+e9 combo. It's a very good bang for the buck amp, and since you already have the e7 it's really a no-brainer unless you start spending a lot more money.

Quote:
btw on behalf of everybody thank you armaegis

You're welcome. I try my best 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 15, 2011 at 3:39 AM Post #7,173 of 29,490
I'm looking for dark sounding headphones, think HD600's, with warm mids (less warm than HD600's), rich bass, and detailed but completely non-fatiguing upper mids and treble...  I want all this but I do not want the HD 600's. The HD 600's are too warm, they're so warm they jumble thing up a quite a bit. They do a lot right on certain kinds of music and a lot wrong on others. I'm looking for something with similar tonal balance but more overall resolution across the spectrum of sound. I care less about treble detail than most. The best detail is mids and bass detail for me, treble is an accent that should be "pretty sounding" and completely non fatiguing. Hearing the oboist let out an unwarranted and unusually high pitched musical annotation to the score at a particularly strenuous moment means nothing to me...

The phones will need to work well with a tube amp.

Thanks!

Sep 15, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #7,174 of 29,490
Hi everyone,

smile.gif

If you're considering the AKG 702's, you should also check out the similar sounding Shure SRH940's which don't require an amp to sound like the 702's at around $275 USD.

Sep 15, 2011 at 7:37 AM Post #7,175 of 29,490

Quote:
A lot of people here are happy with the K701/2 and e7+e9 combo. It's a very good bang for the buck amp, and since you already have the e7 it's really a no-brainer unless you start spending a lot more money.

Thanks for the advice!

Quote:
If you're considering the AKG 702's, you should also check out the similar sounding Shure SRH940's which don't require an amp to sound like the 702's at around $275 USD.

Have you heard both of these headphones?  From what I saw from previous threads, they both emphasize treble, but the K702s have larger soundstage, while the SRH940s are more forward.  I will be using these headphones a lot with classical music (piano and violin music for the most part) and with a digital piano.  Would you know which headphone would be better suited for these purposes?

Sep 15, 2011 at 8:37 AM Post #7,177 of 29,490
Ath m50 pioneer seems to have too much doof doof bass for my liking as is the sonys im currently looking into the shures, the ath m50 and the sennheiser 558 ( whats the difference between this and 555?) and what about the ath ad700? the fostex looks bad and not sure what amp to get :/ but will still look into it 

Quote:
Shure 750/840
Audio Technica M50
Sony XB700
Pioneer HDJ500
Sony ZX700
Sennheiser HD558
Fostex T50rp (and spend the remainder on a small amp, and a few dollars for some poster putty and felt to mod the insides)

Sep 15, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #7,178 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm looking for dark sounding headphones, think HD600's, with warm mids (less warm than HD600's), rich bass, and detailed but completely non-fatiguing upper mids and treble...  I want all this but I do not want the HD 600's. The HD 600's are too warm, they're so warm they jumble thing up a quite a bit. They do a lot right on certain kinds of music and a lot wrong on others. I'm looking for something with similar tonal balance but more overall resolution across the spectrum of sound. I care less about treble detail than most. The best detail is mids and bass detail for me, treble is an accent that should be "pretty sounding" and completely non fatiguing. Hearing the oboist let out an unwarranted and unusually high pitched musical annotation to the score at a particularly strenuous moment means nothing to me...

The phones will need to work well with a tube amp.

Thanks!

Beyer DT880 spring to mind (and I think the 250 ohm version would be a bit better, as I found the 600ohm to be brighter). 

Maybe also a Phiaton PS500.

Quote:
 From what I saw from previous threads, they both emphasize treble, but the K702s have larger soundstage, while the SRH940s are more forward.  I will be using these headphones a lot with classical music (piano and violin music for the most part) and with a digital piano.  Would you know which headphone would be better suited for these purposes?

Well it's also a case of closed vs open, which will affect your decision depending on the environment. 

Quote:
Ath m50 pioneer seems to have too much doof doof bass for my liking as is the sonys im currently looking into the shures, the ath m50 and the sennheiser 558 ( whats the difference between this and 555?) and what about the ath ad700? the fostex looks bad and not sure what amp to get :/ but will still look into it 

I just default to recommending slightly bassy cans these days as that seems to suit the general populace more. 

The Shure 840 is bassy but relatively well balanced. It's more bass tilted, compared to the 750 which is V shaped and has a lot more thump but recessed mids. 

The Senn HD558 is just an upgraded version of the 555. Exactly what was upgraded I do not know. I know you can find the 555 for quite cheap these days but they're becoming scarce. Also look up the 555/595 mod. The Senns are open, in case you needed isolation.

ATH AD700 is large, not portable, and also open. Bass is very lean on these compared to the others, but soundstage is fantastic making them frequent recommendations for gaming. 

The Fostex is an ortho and subjectable to tons of modding, though the basic ones are just to line the inner cup with some putty and maybe a layer of felt behind the driver. I've done similar mods and really it's about $1 of material and half an hour of your time, but the change is remarkable. 

Sep 15, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #7,179 of 29,490

Thanks for the advice!

Have you heard both of these headphones?  From what I saw from previous threads, they both emphasize treble, but the K702s have larger soundstage, while the SRH940s are more forward.  I will be using these headphones a lot with classical music (piano and violin music for the most part) and with a digital piano.  Would you know which headphone would be better suited for these purposes?

Yup both models are focused on mids/highs. I have not heard the AKG's before. However, I believe the 940's can handle classical (violin and piano) very well as a closed headphone. The ideal headphone is open though due to the larger soundstage and instrument separation.

I think your choice depends on whether or not you want to purchase an amp, and whether or not you want a closed headphone. Personally I chose the 940's over AKG's exactly because I didn't want to buy an amp (yet) and they offered better noise isolation and portability.

Also just as a side note about their bass (both headphones have a similar frequency response curve based on the ones from headphone.com), should you find it lacking, I found that the 940's are very flexible in terms of applying an EQ. For instance, I found the 940's to lack the proper bass punch for electronic music, but with a slight EQ bump in the lower end (3 dB at around 100 Hz), the headphones sound much better than they used to for that genre of music.

Sep 15, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #7,181 of 29,490

Where will you be using your headphones, seeing that your list hase an open, a closed, and a noise-canceling headphone? Generally the more open the headphone is, the more outside noise can be heard, but offers better soundstaging and instrument separation.

What types of music do you listen to? Many people here would recommend the Sennheisers for audio clarity and balance, while the Skullcandy's are more bass focused. I don't know too much about the Audio Technicas.

Sep 15, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #7,182 of 29,490

Quote:
Where will you be using your headphones, seeing that your list hase an open, a closed, and a noise-canceling headphone? Generally the more open the headphone is, the more outside noise can be heard, but offers better soundstaging and instrument separation.

What types of music do you listen to? Many people here would recommend the Sennheisers for audio clarity and balance, while the Skullcandy's are more bass focused. I don't know too much about the Audio Technicas.

I think you're missing the point. He said he ALREADY has the Audio Technicas.

Quote:

I don't think it's even a contest. Get the HD 598.

EDIT: That was a blind recommendation. You didn't list your listened habits, source, usage, etc...

Sep 15, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #7,183 of 29,490
Absolutely no contest if he can deal with an open can. The 598 is amazing (especially at that $180 price point). Best all rounder I've heard, and IMO it's the last can you need until you hit about 700 USD.

(because the 598 is such a good all rounder I think it's a safe recommendation blind or otherwise)

Quote:
I don't think it's even a contest. Get the HD 598.

EDIT: That was a blind recommendation. You didn't list your listened habits, source, usage, etc...

Sep 16, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #7,185 of 29,490

Quote:

I'm guessing that you prefer a more bassy headphone ? Then the aviator would be better for your needs. Might also want to research the Ultrasone HFI580. 

Users who are viewing this thread

• MWRY
Back