++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 12, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #7,141 of 29,490

Quote:
What do you guys recommend for decent portable noise cancellation headphones under $175.  Primarly rock, acoustic music.  Super bass not needed.  I like mids and highs.  The noise cancellation does not need to be that strong but just good enough for an airplane.  I am more concerned with portability and comfort.

strong mids/highs, decent isolation...
Sony V6
Phiaton MS300

Sep 12, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #7,142 of 29,490
Are there any other headphones similar to the white boxed M50, but with maybe a tad less bass? Like 3-5% less (I know that sounds stupid). Perhaps less mid-bass and less warm sounding?
I want something that has bass that's a little more controlled (M50 is still decent).
Sound clarity and detail are the most important things. I'm OK with the M50 mids, but am not OK with any mids that are less forward. Treble is OK.
I want something open or closed that's easily drive. I'd prefer something less warm than the usual Sennheiser. It's ok if it's too analytical.

I've tried the HFI-680 and D2000, but D2000 IMO only sounded good with an amp.

Any Beyerdynamic headphones that match these? I guess it doesn't need to be easy to drive. I think the DT-770 Pro will have even more bass.
It seems like the M50 loses sound clarity when there is a lot of bass in a song.

Sep 12, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #7,143 of 29,490

Quote:
Are there any other headphones similar to the white boxed M50, but with maybe a tad less bass? Like 3-5% less (I know that sounds stupid). Perhaps less mid-bass and less warm sounding?
I want something that has bass that's a little more controlled (M50 is still decent).
Sound clarity and detail are the most important things. I'm OK with the M50 mids, but am not OK with any mids that are less forward. Treble is OK.
I want something open or closed that's easily drive. I'd prefer something less warm than the usual Sennheiser. It's ok if it's too analytical.

I've tried the HFI-680 and D2000, but D2000 IMO only sounded good with an amp.

Any Beyerdynamic headphones that match these? I guess it doesn't need to be easy to drive. I think the DT-770 Pro will have even more bass.
It seems like the M50 loses sound clarity when there is a lot of bass in a song.

in a rush... some shots in the dark...
sharper and more clear: Senn HD25-1-ii
more analytical: Beyer DT1350
budget, better mids and highs: Sony V6/7506
more mid: Shure 840 (or 940)

Sep 13, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #7,144 of 29,490
People consider how iem's look before buying? The housing is a few centimetres long and unless they are an outrageous colour no one will notice them...

Sep 13, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #7,145 of 29,490
I am looking for some new headphones. I currently own ATH-A700s and they just aren't doing it for me. I don't mind if they are open or closed back. IEMs work too. They don't NEED to be portable, but that would be a plus. I am looking to spend up to 400 dollars. I would listen to 30% rock, 30% techno, 10% dub step/experimental (skrillex and gorillaz mainly), 10% hip-hop, and 10% classical. Don't recommend beats. just don't.

Sep 13, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #7,146 of 29,490

Quote:
I am looking for some new headphones. I currently own ATH-A700s and they just aren't doing it for me. I don't mind if they are open or closed back. IEMs work too. They don't NEED to be portable, but that would be a plus. I am looking to spend up to 400 dollars. I would listen to 30% rock, 30% techno, 10% dub step/experimental (skrillex and gorillaz mainly), 10% hip-hop, and 10% classical. Don't recommend beats. just don't.

If you don't mind open on ear

Grado SR325i

Then a amp, nothing special. FiiO E7, Ibasso D-zero

Sep 13, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #7,147 of 29,490

Quote:

What do you like about the AD700?  What don't you like about the AD700?  What do you think is missing?  Are you amped/unamped?  What source?

Sep 13, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #7,148 of 29,490
i'm looking for full-size closed headphones, $200ish, that sound as close as possible to ER4s.  idk if that can be done.

i love my Etys, but i feel that i cant really listen to them when just lounging around the house/snacking or knowing that i'll be taking em off and putting em back on multiple times in an hour since the fit/seal/getting left and right channels equal is a whole ordeal i dont wish to repeat too often.  i find that i'll only use them now when im pretty sure they're gonna stay in my ears uninterrupted for longish periods of time.

anyways.  mainly looking for cans that i can use almost exclusively with an ipod+soundmagic A10, that sound pretty neutral.  maybe a big soundstage if possible.  for reference, i had some grados and found them too bright, and some V6s which i found even brighter.  heard k701s and found em thin, but hd600s were just about perfect for my ears...and er4s sound pretty close to the senns as far as i can tell in terms of FR at least.

would love to get my hands on some hd600s actually, but my present living situation makes it pretty much impossible since theyre open.  isolation is not much of a concern, but how much sound they leak is btw [dont wanna bother ppl]

i listen to alt/indie 40%, classical [all types] 40%, everything else [literally] 10%.

been looking at denon d2000 w/jmoney pads but those are a bit higher up $$.  so maybe the creative aurvana, or skullcandy aviator.  those 2 seem to have a nicer FR.

anyone wanna recommend me anything over those?  or should i just save up a bit more and get the denons?  i have auditioned those [without the jmoney pads tho] and found em to dark, but the pads seem to really balance the highs...

idk

Sep 14, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #7,149 of 29,490

Quote:

How about an Ultrasone? Something middle of the road in terms of bass, like the Pro650 or HFi780, or maybe one of the open ones likes the HFI2400 or Pro2900.

Quote:
i'm looking for full-size closed headphones, $200ish, that sound as close as possible to ER4s.  idk if that can be done.

i love my Etys, but i feel that i cant really listen to them when just lounging around the house/snacking or knowing that i'll be taking em off and putting em back on multiple times in an hour since the fit/seal/getting left and right channels equal is a whole ordeal i dont wish to repeat too often.  i find that i'll only use them now when im pretty sure they're gonna stay in my ears uninterrupted for longish periods of time.

anyways.  mainly looking for cans that i can use almost exclusively with an ipod+soundmagic A10, that sound pretty neutral.  maybe a big soundstage if possible.  for reference, i had some grados and found them too bright, and some V6s which i found even brighter.  heard k701s and found em thin, but hd600s were just about perfect for my ears...and er4s sound pretty close to the senns as far as i can tell in terms of FR at least.

would love to get my hands on some hd600s actually, but my present living situation makes it pretty much impossible since theyre open.  isolation is not much of a concern, but how much sound they leak is btw [dont wanna bother ppl]

i listen to alt/indie 40%, classical [all types] 40%, everything else [literally] 10%.

been looking at denon d2000 w/jmoney pads but those are a bit higher up $$.  so maybe the creative aurvana, or skullcandy aviator.  those 2 seem to have a nicer FR.

anyone wanna recommend me anything over those?  or should i just save up a bit more and get the denons?  i have auditioned those [without the jmoney pads tho] and found em to dark, but the pads seem to really balance the highs...

idk

If you don't listen at high volumes, you could maybe get away with a semi-closed headphone like the DT880 or even experiment with closing off the cups of the HD600. Maybe also consider a Fostex T50rp or the closed T40 (with a bit of simple modding), though I'm not sure if those can be driven satisfactorily from the A10.

Sep 14, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #7,150 of 29,490
Hi there, I'm looking for my first pair of headphones. I currently have Skullcandy 50/50 earphones, which I know are not that great, but I preferred them more than my ipod speakers, because the bass sounded much nicer.
I'm looking for a pair of headphones that I can listen to my ipod on the bus and while walking in between classes, so they have to be portable. Closed back would be better for on the bus also. While in a class I'd prefer to just put them around my neck so I don't have to worry about putting them away and taking them out again and all that.

My price range is ~150 dollars, I'm willing to spend a little more if it's absolutely worth it, though.

I mostly listen to electronica/dubstep, rock, rap, and a little bit of metal. I do enjoy bass a lot.

I was looking at the audio-technica ATH-M50 headphones which seem to be a good pair for the price, but they do look huge compared to other headphones, and I'm concerned that I wouldn't be able to store them on my neck during class because they'd be too big.

Thanks for any help :)

Sep 14, 2011 at 4:07 AM Post #7,151 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi there, I'm looking for my first pair of headphones. I currently have Skullcandy 50/50 earphones, which I know are not that great, but I preferred them more than my ipod speakers, because the bass sounded much nicer.
I'm looking for a pair of headphones that I can listen to my ipod on the bus and while walking in between classes, so they have to be portable. Closed back would be better for on the bus also. While in a class I'd prefer to just put them around my neck so I don't have to worry about putting them away and taking them out again and all that.

My price range is ~150 dollars, I'm willing to spend a little more if it's absolutely worth it, though.

I mostly listen to electronica/dubstep, rock, rap, and a little bit of metal. I do enjoy bass a lot.

I was looking at the audio-technica ATH-M50 headphones which seem to be a good pair for the price, but they do look huge compared to other headphones, and I'm concerned that I wouldn't be able to store them on my neck during class because they'd be too big.

Thanks for any help :)

M50 is definitely not for you if you enjoy A LOT of bass. The M50 is in no way a bad headphone but it does not have the crazy amount of bass compared to, say a Sony XB500.

Sep 14, 2011 at 4:44 AM Post #7,152 of 29,490

M50 is definitely not for you if you enjoy A LOT of bass. The M50 is in no way a bad headphone but it does not have the crazy amount of bass compared to, say a Sony XB500.

Maybe you can check out the Ultrasone HFI 580 (or the more portable DJ1 which is the same thing with a coiled cord and different appearance), HFI 680 (generally regarded as a more balanced sounding HFI 580), or Phiaton MS400 headphones.

Sep 14, 2011 at 5:01 AM Post #7,153 of 29,490
Hello everyone,

I am sorry that I am reposting because some reason my post got ignored. I do think your guys have a lot of experience with headphones and I treat your recommendation dearly. 

I am looking for a full size closed around ear headphone. It seems most people rave about ATH-M50. I have some doubt because it seems the price has gone up. It is about USD150 on amazon. It is not as cheap as it used to be. At 100-200 price range does it still hold its value? Would there be any other alternatives better than M50 in this price range? I also have reservation against Audio-Technica. My previously owned ATH-M40fs has good reviews on amazon, but to me, the high and low can be easily separated, but within the sound range bass are relatively muddy to me compared to Sennheiser PX100. It is not easily differentiating different instrumental parts. Kind of similar Bose AE2 or QE headphones sold in target (one of them has noise canceling) in terms of muddi-ness, but better. (You can also say PX100 has relative wide soundstage for different tracks. I don't know what midrange is though.) I was more happy when I owned Sennheiser HD203 even though it doesn't have much clarity, but it was hell of cheap.

Warmth is not a priority to me. The ability to hear imperfection in a recording seem like a hobby to me. Accurate sound reproduction seems more important. I can describe my preference for headphones are similar to Shure SM57 v. condenser mics. I listen to soundtracks from computer sources mostly so genre wise have wide variety. I always have my headphones on all the time on daily basis, so if they are comfortable they would help my big head wearing glasses. Ideally any recommendation under 100 mark would be nice, but I am open to anything up to 200.

Thank you so much for reading it!

Sep 14, 2011 at 5:10 AM Post #7,154 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I am sorry that I am reposting because some reason my post got ignored. I do think your guys have a lot of experience with headphones and I treat your recommendation dearly. 

I am looking for a full size closed around ear headphone. It seems most people rave about ATH-M50. I have some doubt because it seems the price has gone up. It is about USD150 on amazon. It is not as cheap as it used to be. At 100-200 price range does it still hold its value? Would there be any other alternatives better than M50 in this price range? I also have reservation against Audio-Technica. My previously owned ATH-M40fs has good reviews on amazon, but to me, the high and low can be easily separated, but within the sound range bass are relatively muddy to me compared to Sennheiser PX100. It is not easily differentiating different instrumental parts. Kind of similar Bose AE2 or QE headphones sold in target (one of them has noise canceling) in terms of muddi-ness, but better. (You can also say PX100 has relative wide soundstage for different tracks. I don't know what midrange is though.) I was more happy when I owned Sennheiser HD203 even though it doesn't have much clarity, but it was hell of cheap.

Warmth is not a priority to me. The ability to hear imperfection in a recording seem like a hobby to me. Accurate sound reproduction seems more important. I can describe my preference for headphones are similar to Shure SM57 v. condenser mics. I listen to soundtracks from computer sources mostly so genre wise have wide variety. I always have my headphones on all the time on daily basis, so if they are comfortable they would help my big head wearing glasses. Ideally any recommendation under 100 mark would be nice, but I am open to anything up to 200.

Thank you so much for reading it!

MDR-V6/7506
FiiO E6

It sounds like you're scrapped for cash? It's fine. Get the above. The V6 have a little less clarity but more defined bass. The 7506 are the opposite. Both are great monitoring headphones that will allows you to hear imperfection or pops and clicks.

They both can be driven without a amp, but a small amp like the E6 helps out a lot.

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #7,155 of 29,490
Looking for bass-strong headphones. 

A friend tried some Beats Studio and really liked them (the bass). So I'm looking for something between 100-200 bucks that performs in bass like that or better. I guess he's looking for more of a good bass extension rather than a tight bass.

So I've come across a couple headphones, but not sure what to go with. ATH-M50, HFI-580/780, Phiaton MS400, or SRH750. Need something which you can feel the bass in your head with, so I guess it shouldn't be too punchy in the mid or upper lows.

He didn't like the Sony and Denon alternatives, please don't recommend those =). Oh, and he already has DT880s so he doesn't want another Beyer. 

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back