++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 27, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #6,692 of 29,490
I have an upgrade question and I totally want to keep the main page a bit cleaner:

I'm planning on upgrading or at least changing from my Senn HD555s. I very much like the type of cooler, natural sound that they have and am looking at a few replacements:
  1. FA-003 (I have the DBA-02s and I'm trying to get them fixed, but that's a different story... :/)
  2. ATH-ESW9a
  3. HD650/600
  4. HD558

Do you guys have thoughts on the matter? I listen to mainly classical, jazz, downtempo, some electronica and trip-hop. My budget is around $600 and I don't mind buying used. I have a Peachtree iDecco for the home and am also looking at some portable amps which I can take with me on my frequent flights.

Thank you!

Aug 27, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #6,693 of 29,490
Hello everyone. I currently have a total bithead as portable and desktop dac amp, and a HD 25-1 II and a MS1. I'm pretty happy with all of them, but I'm planning to upgrade a little. I wany to buy a HD650 and a desktop dac+amp to power it. I'll be using it mostly for plac files from my computer.  I've been searching and have three initial options:

yulong d100
headroom mirco dac + micro amp
Centrance DACmini CX (a litle over my budget)
NuForce HD

I'm plannig to spend about 1000 in the whole rig, can anyone help me with some advice?

The D100 is my favorite DAC I've ever heard. Very transparent and has TONS of options for the price. Don't think you'd go wrong with one.

Aug 27, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #6,694 of 29,490
Hello everybody. I've been lurking and trawling through several threads in order to determine my next purchase. Right now, I'm at a crossroads between the Audio Technica ES55 and WS55. Which is smaller? More comfortable? Which sound signature is more uniform? I listen to all sorts of music but most heavily listen to Electronic Dance genres like Trance, House, Dubstep etc..

Is there any other glaringly obvious option I'm missing below $150 for a relatively small on-ear headphone? Preferably closed back.

Aug 27, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #6,696 of 29,490

Quote:

How about if I could stretch to £150 - £200?

That should puts you in range of the Sennheiser RS160.

Quote:
I need advice, I have DT990/600, Ultrasone Pro 900, Grado Sr80i's all running off of my Xonar Xense which has an amp built in to it that can handle output power up to 600ohm, it has the same amp as a Xonar STX. Should I get an amp? What would I gain? I don't want to spend more than the price of the Fiio E9, actually that's pretty much the amp I'm looking into, what do yall think?

The STX should be plenty enough. You could always take the money and play with opamps in the STX instead.

Quote:

I don't know much about it, but this "review" was not favourable: http://www.head-fi.org/t/496233/audio-technica-ath-ws70-first-impressions-review-its-really-terrible

Quote:
I have an upgrade question and I totally want to keep the main page a bit cleaner:

I'm planning on upgrading or at least changing from my Senn HD555s. I very much like the type of cooler, natural sound that they have and am looking at a few replacements:
  1. FA-003 (I have the DBA-02s and I'm trying to get them fixed, but that's a different story... :/)
  2. ATH-ESW9a
  3. HD650/600
  4. HD558

Do you guys have thoughts on the matter? I listen to mainly classical, jazz, downtempo, some electronica and trip-hop. My budget is around $600 and I don't mind buying used. I have a Peachtree iDecco for the home and am also looking at some portable amps which I can take with me on my frequent flights.

Thank you!

For something portable with good isolation that would be comfortable for lengthy periods, how about the B&W P5?

Quote:
Hello everybody. I've been lurking and trawling through several threads in order to determine my next purchase. Right now, I'm at a crossroads between the Audio Technica ES55 and WS55. Which is smaller? More comfortable? Which sound signature is more uniform? I listen to all sorts of music but most heavily listen to Electronic Dance genres like Trance, House, Dubstep etc..

Is there any other glaringly obvious option I'm missing below $150 for a relatively small on-ear headphone? Preferably closed back.

a few quick threads by searching:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/559703/ath-es55-quick-impressions-favorite-headphone-under-100
http://www.head-fi.org/t/567012/the-portable-bass-kings-the-pioneer-hdj500-vs-akg-518-le-vs-the-first-look-at-the-new-at-ws55-solid-bass

Quote:
Does SRH750DJ require amp with iPod touch 4th generation? If so, can I just use like Fiio E5?

It doesn't really need one, but the e5 is cheap enough that it doesn't hurt to try (or try the e6 which just came out and is reportedly better)

Aug 27, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #6,697 of 29,490
Aug 27, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #6,699 of 29,490
Hey there, I'm looking to buy a good, cheap, circum-aural, closed pair of cans. I'm looking at the ATH M30 or the Panasonic RP-HTX7. Any opinions as to which is better? I listen to a lot of music ranging from classical to dubstep so something nicely balanced with decent bass is what I'm looking for. Thanks!

Aug 27, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #6,700 of 29,490

Quote:
For something portable with good isolation that would be comfortable for lengthy periods, how about the B&W P5?

Well, I mean the portability should be for me to be able to take it to a hotel and use it there. Not so much a plane/train/automobile thing, rather a pack-up and go thing. To this end, I was really thinking that the FA-003s might be a great upgrade from my HD555s. The reviews I'm reading on the P5 all say it's a bit uncomfortable... :/

An additional question, if I may: what do you think about the E7 / E9 DAC amp combo for travel? I will be using my iDecco at home, but when I'm at a hotel or something, I'd like to get the best audio possible with a small, portable rig.

Aug 27, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #6,701 of 29,490
Made a new thead for suggestion and missed this one (sorry! I'm new.)

I've been eying the AIAIAI TMA-1's and they seem like a good match except that they supposedly lack on the higher end (treble). I listen to a lot of hip-hop, electronica/techno, dubstep, but I also listen to an equal amount of rock, acoustic, classical, and jazz(!). I don't want a pair of headphones that I will love with certain genres and feel completely disappointed with others. Here is what I'm looking for:

• Portable (Around the size of TMA-1s/Beats)
  • Closed (Not too much sound leakage, some sound isolation)
  • Overall balanced sound (highs, mediums, lows, treble, bass) but would be nice if it had some "extra" bass.

Bonuses:

• Modular (Replaceable cord, exchangeable ear cushions)
  • Foldable

I was thinking about the M50s but they are just too big. I walk a lot so big cans aren't an option. Something similar to the M50s but more portable.

Aug 27, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #6,702 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey there, I'm looking to buy a good, cheap, circum-aural, closed pair of cans. I'm looking at the ATH M30 or the Panasonic RP-HTX7. Any opinions as to which is better? I listen to a lot of music ranging from classical to dubstep so something nicely balanced with decent bass is what I'm looking for. Thanks!

If your willing to spend $53, your can get Superlux HD-668B semi-open headphones.

Aug 27, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #6,703 of 29,490

Quote:
Made a new thead for suggestion and missed this one (sorry! I'm new.)

I've been eying the AIAIAI TMA-1's and they seem like a good match except that they supposedly lack on the higher end (treble). I listen to a lot of hip-hop, electronica/techno, dubstep, but I also listen to an equal amount of rock, acoustic, classical, and jazz(!). I don't want a pair of headphones that I will love with certain genres and feel completely disappointed with others. Here is what I'm looking for:

1. Portable (Around the size of TMA-1s/Beats)
  2. Closed (Not too much sound leakage, some sound isolation)
  3. Overall balanced sound (highs, mediums, lows, treble, bass) but would be nice if it had some "extra" bass.

Bonuses:

1. Modular (Replaceable cord, exchangeable ear cushions)
  2. Foldable

I was thinking about the M50s but they are just too big. I walk a lot so big cans aren't an option. Something similar to the M50s but more portable.

I just got these Kicker HP541 for $52, I'd recommend em.

The sound is more focused in the midrange to low end, great for Hip Hop, though you might miss the treble in your dubstep tracks. The sound is very bold and forward and combines with rock for an intense experience. Can't say too much for classical and jazz though. They do perform decently, but I prefer a warmer tone with those genres and these give a more cold, forward sound to them. After a while they start to warm up but retain their boldness. 

As for portability, they isolate great, better than M50s at least. They fold, swivel and flip, plus they come with a soft Kicker carrying bag. They come with two detachable Mini to Mini cables, one 3.5 meter thick cable, and a 1.1 meter thin cable, likely for portable use. You can replace these with any mini to mini cable.

Aug 27, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #6,704 of 29,490
bump X2 on the kickers.. plus they are $50..Read the review if you are interested. http://www.head-fi.org/t/567900/09-m50-reincarnated-the-kicker-hp541-a-headfi-first-duo-take/15#post_7713358

Aug 27, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #6,705 of 29,490
Hey, I posted before, but didn't get a complete response.

I'm looking for a pair of headphones for 300$ or under.

I mostly listen to rock (Alternative, Modern and Classic) Alternative and Metal. I have a pair of Sony XB's for Electronic and bass heavy music.

I'd prefer if they had a decent amount of bass, but for this situation, quality bass instead of just lots of it is preferred.

It can be open or closed, as I will only be using these at home.

If there is anything else, please let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back