++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 24, 2011 at 7:22 AM Post #6,603 of 29,490
hi im looking for a pair of headphones.
at the moment i have about $100 to spend but if there is somthing noticably better for say under $150 i spose i can save up abit more before buying a pair of headphones

i listen to mosty rock(60%) and abit of D&B(15%) and ocationaly other genres (5%)

most important to me is comfort(will be using them for hours at a time)
second most important is sound quality
and third most important is not too much sound leakage i dont mind a little though

i dont want to have to buy an amp

both open or closed are fine

Aug 24, 2011 at 8:25 AM Post #6,605 of 29,490
Hello everybody. First off, I'm new here. :) Next, I'm looking for a good pair of headphones. Here's my thread on Overclock.net.

I'm looking for some good headphones along with a DAC and amp. My budget for headphones is probably around $400 and the same or a little more for the DAC and amp. Thanks.

Hybrid

Aug 24, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #6,607 of 29,490
Hello, I would like to take advantage of other peoples knowledge. I have upgraded from Sennheiser 218 to the Shure 440, and finally this week to the Beyerdynamic TD 990 Pro. My question is would the AKG 240 Mk II (which is the same price for me here in my corner of Canada $179)  be an upgrade, downgrade or just similar to what I have in terms of detail and SS. I am not overly concerned about the actual sound signature as I don't mind using my EQ to get it to how I like it. I returned my 440s because they were uncomfortable and had no sound stage. Or is there something else I could try importing (shipping is usually $40 to where I live from the US - so I would be spending around $140 US) I listen to pop and rock and classical. I have the Grado SR80i which I love as my portable, but I want a better headphone for home use with better SQ and SS. I tried the Sennheiser 438 but found it dark sounding to my ears. I did like the 440s sound and I do like the 990. I just want to make sure I have the best headphones I can buy at that price point.Thanks.

Aug 24, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #6,610 of 29,490
I have been playing with my headphones(ultrasone pro 650) for around 2-3 hours. Played some games etc with it, but i would like to know how i can test them out the right way? In a game i didn't see much of a difference with my speakers to be true. If i wanne play some music do they need to be flac or 320 kbps at minimum?

Aug 24, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #6,611 of 29,490
Music genres: Pretty much everything. Not gonna lie. Heavy rap - dubstep - indie pop - electronica - classical music - rock - heavy rock - funk
Portable: I just want good quality.
Price range:  Total budget is $100 usd.
Amped: Probably not.
Closed/Open: Closed.
Looks: As long as they aren't ugly :)

Aug 24, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #6,612 of 29,490

Quote:
Armaegis, thanks for the recommendation,

what would you advice if its between the price range of $90 - $140

N, I would want something that looks a lil bit cooler 
biggrin.gif
 and sry for the wrong price range, I converted with the wrong exchange rate 
etysmile.gif

Noise leakage: Fairly okay, something like the M50s

Comfort: Tried on the M50s, too heavy and big, prefer something comfortable like the Bose AE1/AE2

Usage: Most of the time on my iphone (wont be using any amps)

Genre: Not an issue but listen to rock/jazz/instrumental/pop

I can get the Bose OE for around £70, is it worth the price? I dont know how bad the sound leak is though...

For a little more flash, how about the Phiaton MS300? Or if you don't mind something bass heavy, the Pioneer HDJ-500

Quote:
Hi,

I had a question i ordered the ultrasone pro 650 anniversary edition and just found out that the normal ultrasone pro 650 isn't listed on the ultrasone site. Does this mean i buyed a old headphone and it was better to get the ultrasone pro 550(they had the same price)?

Thanks

The 650 isn't that old... maybe just a couple years. In any event, I much preferred the 650 over the 550.

Quote:

Which is faster?

K701 is faster than the DT880
I haven't heard the Sony

Quote:
hi im looking for a pair of headphones.
at the moment i have about $100 to spend but if there is somthing noticably better for say under $150 i spose i can save up abit more before buying a pair of headphones

i listen to mosty rock(60%) and abit of D&B(15%) and ocationaly other genres (5%)

most important to me is comfort(will be using them for hours at a time)
second most important is sound quality
and third most important is not too much sound leakage i dont mind a little though

i dont want to have to buy an amp

both open or closed are fine

The Senn HD228/238 are super comfortable and decent performers for the rice. Senn PX200-ii are also nice. I'm also a fan of the Phiaton MS 300 for your genres, but this starts pushing your budget up.

Quote:
Hello everybody. First off, I'm new here. :) Next, I'm looking for a good pair of headphones. Here's my thread on Overclock.net.

I'm looking for some good headphones along with a DAC and amp. My budget for headphones is probably around $400 and the same or a little more for the DAC and amp. Thanks.

Hybrid

As mentioned earlier, an Audio Technica would suit you. You can find the flagship AD2000 for around $400 used. For dac/amps, well the world is your oyster. I'm mostly just familiar with the portable stuff? You've got cheap options like a FiiO e7 and iBasso DB0, and big boys like the Practical Devices XM6.

Quote:
Hello, I would like to take advantage of other peoples knowledge. I have upgraded from Sennheiser 218 to the Shure 440, and finally this week to the Beyerdynamic TD 990 Pro. My question is would the AKG 240 Mk II (which is the same price for me here in my corner of Canada $179)  be an upgrade, downgrade or just similar to what I have in terms of detail and SS. I am not overly concerned about the actual sound signature as I don't mind using my EQ to get it to how I like it. I returned my 440s because they were uncomfortable and had no sound stage. Or is there something else I could try importing (shipping is usually $40 to where I live from the US - so I would be spending around $140 US) I listen to pop and rock and classical. I have the Grado SR80i which I love as my portable, but I want a better headphone for home use with better SQ and SS. I tried the Sennheiser 438 but found it dark sounding to my ears. I did like the 440s sound and I do like the 990. I just want to make sure I have the best headphones I can buy at that price point.Thanks.

The K240 have a very strong midrange, compared to the DT990 which is flipped the other way with pronounced bass and treble. More of a sidegrade; some might say down, but I'm personally not a fan of the DT990. I think the soundstage of the K240 is quite good.

If you have an amp, you could also look into getting a Sextett. I have one paired with a tube amp and it is by far my favourite combination.

Quote:
I have been playing with my headphones(ultrasone pro 650) for around 2-3 hours. Played some games etc with it, but i would like to know how i can test them out the right way? In a game i didn't see much of a difference with my speakers to be true. If i wanne play some music do they need to be flac or 320 kbps at minimum?

I run "tests" with frequency sweeps and specific songs that I know very well and have layers that I can pick out (vocals over instrumentals, electronica with a driving bass and treble line, etc). For most people, 320 will be indistinguishable from flac. Heck, even 192 will give most people a run for their money assuming it's a modern encoding and not an mp3 from 10 years ago.

Aug 24, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #6,613 of 29,490

Quote:
Those two headphones really aren't that far apart in terms of "quality", and even pricewise they're not too far (a Beyer DT880pro is around $220, a HD380 around $180; premium models mostly just add flair)... and Sennheiser is just as "high end" as Beyer and AT. I really don't know what you're expecting here. The audio game is particularly bad for diminishing returns.

I'm personally not a fan of the Beyers and would pick the HD380/PXC450 over them. That said, I do prefer the Beyers out of a tube amps and think they sound terrible out of solid state (including Beyer's own A1 amp). I've heard $500 headphones, I've heard $1k headphones, I've modded my own shells, transplanted orthos, and built my own amps. Out of all that, one of my favourites is still the little Senn PX100-ii out of my Fuze or from my own cmoy style amps. There's just no correlation between budget and taste sometimes.

I see. Well, I already have a soundcard (not an expensive one like the Auzentech X-Fi Forte) so what's your opinion on adding an external DAC (and recommendation would be awesome as well in the case it's worth it)?

I was lucky enough to find my headphones at a store today where it was hooked up to a CD player and a headphone amp way more expensive than my E9 (Didn't write the name down...), and I'm positive they sounded way better than what I'm getting out of my PC, so I suspect there's a bottleneck somewhere? Or am I totally lost here?

Aug 24, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #6,614 of 29,490

Quote:
I see. Well, I already have a soundcard (not an expensive one like the Auzentech X-Fi Forte) so what's your opinion on adding an external DAC (and recommendation would be awesome as well in the case it's worth it)?

I was lucky enough to find my headphones at a store today where it was hooked up to a CD player and a headphone amp way more expensive than my E9 (Didn't write the name down...), and I'm positive they sounded way better than what I'm getting out of my PC, so I suspect there's a bottleneck somewhere? Or am I totally lost here?

The e9 has quite a lot of grunt behind it, so it shouldn't have any problem pushing headphones. On the other hand, it also has an output impedance of 10ohm which might make a difference compared to other amps and would have the most pronounced effect on the bass end.

Are you using the lineout of the soundcard into the e9 (assuming it has one), or the headphone out? That could make a difference as well.

Some budget dacs: Behringer UCA202, HotAudio DacDestroyer, FiiO D3

Aug 24, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #6,615 of 29,490
Quote:
I've never heard the CX500 so I can't really quantify any of those sound differences for you. In a general sense though, many things contribute to different sounds. There's the raw frequency response, as well as the headphone impedance and phase curves which form a somewhat complex reaction with the amp output impedance which could easily account for different sounds. 

As for your other questions... well to be honest I'm having trouble figuring out what you're asking. Are you asking which headphone to keep? Or are you asking about getting an amp?

Ok, sorry for beeing confuse. Let me try to be clearer.
1) Would an amp make my A700 have a "stronger" bass? If it would, in a US$ 20 -120 bracket, what would be a good recomendation for a, not necessarely portable(since it is pluged primarely on my PC), amp.
2) Would i benefit from an upgrade of my sound card(or alternatives to this)?
    In this case i would basicaly use 16 bits/ 44.1 kHz flac extracted from CDs i have at home, but possibly on a (near?) future, i could use higher quality flac from some online stores i found recently. Since i work a lot on the PC, a good deal of my time is passed on it, so i would be willing to spend up to US$ 200 more or less something on a good sound solution for it. Absolutely no need for surround sound, since i'll be using it with a headphone or at max a 2.1 speaker set. I also read that there are other alternatives(DAC+amp), but i don't know how they work nor price comparison, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back