++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 25, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #6,631 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm a mild gamer, i love talking with my friends over teamspeak, i love my high quality music, and i crave comfort. I was planning on buying steelseries 7H Stereo headphones, they come with a mic, and a mic switch, though my friend pushed me to come on here and ask if there are any high end headphones with an attached mic, not inline i prefer on the headphones. The Steelseries i was looking at will cost me around 110 USD, was just wondering if anyone knows of any better comfortable quality headphones with an attached mic, and within 50-130 USD range.

A Sennheiser PC350 can be found on sale for around $130 or less if you keep your eyes peeled.

Aug 25, 2011 at 4:42 AM Post #6,632 of 29,490
I have a stepdance/HD595&HD448, looking for something that can play rockier/harder and stuff that combines guitar and electronic music in an electronic format better than my other phones. 

Think Nine Inch Nails/The Cure/Tool and some regular straight-rock bands. I don't want to spend too much, $200's about my limit, which would be perfect for some Grado 225i's, but I've heard they don't play synths and so forth that well (based on searches/posts on this site). 

Any suggestions? I was thinking about the AKG702 which goes for a bit more than $200 these days..

Best,

-Vader

Aug 25, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #6,633 of 29,490
Hi, I'm looking for someone who's got experience with Ultrasone PRO 750's, after a lot of reading reviews and doing research I settled on these (and found them to be a great deal money wise, as most online stores sell them for $350-$500 each but Amazon sells them new for $230 :D) but nothing beats talking to people who've got first hand experience with them. I want some headphones to use in conjunction with my music production, and also maybe a bit of gaming.. I have a creative x-fi soundcard so I want headphones that can make full use of it.
I'd also like to be able to use them with my iPhone, and after a bit of research realised it might be wise to get a headphone amp, does anyone know if the FiiO E7 will do the trick? It's seems like great bang for buck, as I don't wanna be spending hundreds of bucks on an amplifier.. yet reviews seem to say that these do what most other good head amps will do yet don't cost nearly as much. So I'm looking for somebody with experience with these E7 headphone amps too. :)

So in short, Ultrasone PRO 750 headphones ($230) + FiiO E7 headphone amplifier ($90) for use with an iPhone (If I do this, I'll also get a FiiO L9 LOD cable) -- is it a good setup for an 'amateur' audiophile? Or could somebody who's used these before suggest better within the same price range ($300-$350 total)?

Thanks guys!

Aug 25, 2011 at 6:09 AM Post #6,634 of 29,490

Quote:
EDIT:
Do the AKG K 142 HD satisfy my needs?

Get the K242HD instead, worth every penny in price difference. A great alrounder + comfortable as hell, especially compared to the K142's comfort.

Aug 25, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #6,636 of 29,490
They'd sound alright with rock, pop not so much. For gaming you should love them

Quote:
How are the Sennheiser 598's for rock/pop and gaming? (mids and soundstage)

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Aug 25, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #6,638 of 29,490
About to buy Alessandro MS1i, question is:
is it worthwhile to get a FiiO E7 to use as a DAC for my Macbook Pro if my files are encoded in V0/320? I know that V0 is often considered "transparent", but does that change if you use an E7?

Aug 25, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #6,640 of 29,490

Quote:
          I've been searching for a pair of headphones for a few days now and I'm stuck. I'm looking for headphones with great sound quality (nice bass); I will be mixing/mastering my own music on these (mostly dance/dubstep/electronic). Isolation is also important, I want something that can block at loud noises if I was to use these headphones for live djing/performing.

I may catch crap for this, but honestly, if you're looking for recording/mixing/mastering advice, you'll find better resources over at Gearslutz.  Check under the electronic music production sub-forum and search for headphones, you'll find plenty of discussion from dozens of people who are doing exactly what you are, many of whom make their living from it.  

Generally speaking, you'll find that headphones aren't recommended for critical monitoring, which is why a lot of the cans you'll see people talking about over there aren't necessarily as flat and accurate as you might expect.  They're mainly considered useful for checking mixes as a "real world" reference or tracking instruments.

Aug 25, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #6,641 of 29,490
I did found the Berringer Uca 202 on a online local store for around $80, (I live in Brazil and here the taxes are insane. I payed $160 on my SR60i) it's that a deal? At that price range, maybe a little more even, if you know any other similar devices, i would like to know.

Quote:
It's a nice little unit. Small and convenient, decent amounts of power, it even does an ok job pushing a K701. It's got competition from the likes of the e7 and DB-Zero these days though.

Well you didn't give us any music preferences... so I'm just going to go with a random suggestion of: Pioneer HDJ-500

You're going to want something more balanced sounding than the Pro900. All that bass is good for hip hop and pop, but not so much for jazz.

I'm assuming you want something more portable and durable, in which case go with the HD25-1-ii. The HD600 is nor portable at all, nor is the DT880 (although the DT880 is quite rugged)

M-Audio Q40
Shure 440

The Shure 840 price has been fluctuating a lot lately. It's dropped below $130 a few times in the last couple weeks; just keep an eye out. Reportedly less bassy than the 840, with a stronger focus on the upper register.

Based on a mix of my own impressions and readings, I would say the best isolation would be offered by the 940 and HD25, followed next by the 840 and ZX700/7510

If you're looking for balanced sound, drop the XB500. Also drop the D2000 as it isolates very poorly and is quite loose so isn't something you'd want to carry around on the subway.

I don't know much about those amps, but in general the Grados don't need much in the way of extra power unless you have a weak or noisy source. If you want a dac, then pick the govibe petite. Otherwise, just get a SR60 by itself.

Both have a somewhat balanced but bass sloped sound. Good build quality for both with the 840 feeling a bit sturdier but the HD380 folds flat and has a case. Comfortwise, I give the definite nod to the HD380.

Aug 25, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #6,642 of 29,490

Quote:
I have a stepdance/HD595&HD448, looking for something that can play rockier/harder and stuff that combines guitar and electronic music in an electronic format better than my other phones. 

Think Nine Inch Nails/The Cure/Tool and some regular straight-rock bands. I don't want to spend too much, $200's about my limit, which would be perfect for some Grado 225i's, but I've heard they don't play synths and so forth that well (based on searches/posts on this site). 

Any suggestions? I was thinking about the AKG702 which goes for a bit more than $200 these days..

Best,

-Vader

When you say something that plays harder, can you be a bit more specific? Do you want something with more bite/zing in the treble end to bring out guitars and cymbals? Grados are great there. The K701/2 has a bit less shimmer but stronger through the midhighs, but then a little weaker in the bass compared to the grado.

If you have an amp, a DT990pro might work for you. It has plenty of top end, and a good amount of bottom thump as well.

Quote:
Hi, I'm looking for someone who's got experience with Ultrasone PRO 750's, after a lot of reading reviews and doing research I settled on these (and found them to be a great deal money wise, as most online stores sell them for $350-$500 each but Amazon sells them new for $230
biggrin.gif
) but nothing beats talking to people who've got first hand experience with them. I want some headphones to use in conjunction with my music production, and also maybe a bit of gaming.. I have a creative x-fi soundcard so I want headphones that can make full use of it.
I'd also like to be able to use them with my iPhone, and after a bit of research realised it might be wise to get a headphone amp, does anyone know if the FiiO E7 will do the trick? It's seems like great bang for buck, as I don't wanna be spending hundreds of bucks on an amplifier.. yet reviews seem to say that these do what most other good head amps will do yet don't cost nearly as much. So I'm looking for somebody with experience with these E7 headphone amps too.
smily_headphones1.gif

So in short, Ultrasone PRO 750 headphones ($230) + FiiO E7 headphone amplifier ($90) for use with an iPhone (If I do this, I'll also get a FiiO L9 LOD cable) -- is it a good setup for an 'amateur' audiophile? Or could somebody who's used these before suggest better within the same price range ($300-$350 total)?

Thanks guys!

It's a good headphone for general listening, but *not* for production. The bass is emphasized and has far too resonance, which destroys any chance of having an accurate or balanced mix. The whole S-Logic thing also does not lend itself to accurate mixing since it alters sound by nature and warps soundstage. Maybe not so important for synthesized beats, but critical for recorded material. It's also not the greatest for competitive FPS, once again due to the way S-Logic changes soundstage.

Quote:

I find the Sennheisers to be very good all-rounders. Slight midbass emphasis, good soundstage.

Quote:
About to buy Alessandro MS1i, question is:
is it worthwhile to get a FiiO E7 to use as a DAC for my Macbook Pro if my files are encoded in V0/320? I know that V0 is often considered "transparent", but does that change if you use an E7?

Most most low impedance/high sensitivity headphones, my advice is to listen to them for a while first before dropping more money on an amp/dac. Just because your files are V0 does not mean that your macbook can't keep up.

Quote:
I know the Ath M50 aren't really built for this, but how would they hold up in a live djing/loud environment with there sound isolation?

The isolation is good, but could be better. One quick hack is to get some extra pads for the Shure 840 and put them on the M50 for better comfort and isolation.

Quote:
I did found the Berringer Uca 202 on a online local store for around $80, (I live in Brazil and here the taxes are insane. I payed $160 on my SR60i) it's that a deal? At that price range, maybe a little more even, if you know any other similar devices, i would like to know.

That is an awful price... it's around $30 off Amazon US. Can you order it online and have it shipped to you?

Aug 25, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #6,643 of 29,490
The 598 is the best headphone ever. Get it. 

In all seriousness though, it does perform well for rock and pop because of its mid centric sound. I even prefer it to a super bassy can for Electronic music. As far as gaming goes...positioning is a little weird with it, but the soundstage is great and everything sound very...around you with the 598.

I'd honestly consider it if I were you. 

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back