++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 22, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #6,511 of 29,490

Quote:
hey everyone, another newbie here, i am looking at some headphones for computer gaming use, along with minimal use for movies & music through my computer.

I am looking at the  HD598 &  DT990s based on researching over the last few weeks, and have read up on mad envy's thread here on the forums recently. can anyone suggest which would be ideal for gaming?  for the DT990's which version should i get , 32 OHM or 250 OHM?  while i enjoy bass, i am not sure if the DT990 would be to much for online gaming where voice chat is common or would drown out the other sounds due to heavy bass.

I am leaning towards picking up a Xonar  card as well, and wondering if it would provide enough juice to run the headphones, or if i should plan on getting an  amp along with a xonar card? Its looking like i will probably pick up the xonar STX & headphone, but i am still unsure if going another route is preferable for online gaming, with  a dac/amp setup connected to the headphones?

I'm going to guess the Essence STX will be fine powering 250-ohm cans, but as my Essence STX will not arrive for another few days, will not be able to test the STX with my 250-Ohm cans.

Aug 22, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #6,512 of 29,490

Quote:
Do anyone have any ideia about my questions on my last post? (page 431)

Your last post was a giant wall of text and I'm unsure what the question was. Could you please repost with just the specifics of what you're looking for?

Quote:
Hi folks.  After going through several sets of sub-$100 IEMs over the years, I just purchased my first pair of nice headphones--a set of AudioTechnica ATH-M50s.  Generally speaking, I like the sound quality of these, but am looking for something a bit more portable to use while I travel or go to the coffee shop.  I just ordered a pair of Grado SR60is, but I think I made a mistake and need to cancel that order.  I like a balanced sound with good, strong bass, but I am not a bass head (I hate that FOOM FOOM FOOM noise when somebody pulls up alongside me in their tricked out ride).  I also seem to be pretty sensitive to bright treble and thus I think the Grados would be a mistake, right?  I am considering either the AudioTechnica ESW9 or Beyerdynamics DT1350.  I mostly listen to classic and modern rock, punk, and pop.  Some favorite bands include Led Zeppelin, The Clash, AC/DC, Oasis, Kasabian, The Raconteurs, the Von Bondies, Gnarls Barkley, etc. I've done a bunch of research here on the forums and elsewhere on the web, but am feeling a bit overwhelmed by all of the options.  I also don't really have any retail locations around here where I can test any headphones.  Any suggestions?  Many thanks!

P.S. - I forgot to mention that I have a Cowon J3 on the way that I should have by mid-week that will be my main audio source.

Cancel the Grado. It will not have the sound that you want, and it is fully open which means it will not isolate noise and will leak sound and disturb everyone around you at the coffee shop.

The ESW9a is a great all-rounder and I would pick that over the DT1350 as the Beyer has a somewhat stronger treble end while the ESW9a is mellower. Just be careful the ESW9a you purchase is from an authorized seller as there are a lot of fakes out there.

Quote:
sorry repost

ya my budget is max 250$ including the amp......i am not looking for a amp/DAC combo.Looking at the price of the DT990 and the fact that i would need a good amp means that its too pricey for me. I wish i could afford more but unfortunately its not possible right now. Looking at the other options I like the HD 598, what amp would be best suited for it within my budget?

I would suggest just going with something that doesn't need amping, or go with the 598 and get something more affordable like a FiiO e11.

Quote:
Hello thread lurkers, I'm in need of some assistance. I cannot afford a pair of headphones currently, but I will be making some money tomorrow as I sell my old gaming rig for a grand to my friend. I'm going off to my university on the 1st, and I would like to order a pair of headphones before I go off. Now, I listen to a wide range of music: Indie, Rock, Metal, Hard Rock, Dubstep, Drumstep (Pendulum). Now, I know some headphones are good in some areas, but I would like something very portable since I will be taking these with me when I venture off into the city a lot this year. I was thinking of the Phiaton MS400 for a good pair of headphones. Now I'm on a budget since I will need to drop around 700 dollars for books this semester. My budget is a max of 200 US dollars, I found the Phiatons on Powermax for 187. I would just go for the ATH-M50s but portability is an issue. They are portable, but not as portable as the Phiatons in my eyes. 

On another note, my portable audio source is my iPhone, and I'll probably need an amp to get the cans to their full potential. Current pair of phones is the XB500. 

The Phiatons MS400 was a favourite of mine and I heartily recommend it. They have a great bassy sound and fold up nicely into a travel case, and are very easy to drive so you don't need an amp (and I didn't notice any significant difference with amping anyways).

Quote:
Ok...then sure my source can support it without amp ?
and big diff about 250 and 600 ohm... 

actually tat 1 already send to warranty, one side no sound...
so this why plan to upgrade...after get new,the ms1 will given to my bro....

The STX has a pretty strong amp in it. It is *probably* good enough, but I don't know for certain. Ask around in the STX thread and see if anyone has tried it with those headphones.

It's not a huge differene between the 250 and 600, but if you have an amp that can swing the voltage then you might as well get the 600 ohm, if nothing else it has better resale value.

Quote:
I've owned EH350's for a couple of years now, and while they're very good in many respects, I find myself getting the upgrade bug.  They're quite nice through most of the midrange, tending toward a smooth, very slightly warm sound, but I'm finding the bass is a bit too lean and soft, and while the highs are very clean and clear, they're completely lacking any sense of snap or energy.  In order to get that sense of excitement, I have to crank the volume up, but when pushed, a bit of hardness and glare comes into the upper mids and low highs that gets pretty fatiguing.

I also picked up some Thinksound Rain IEMs recently and, somewhat surprisingly, they seem to suit my tastes much better.  They don't need to be played as loud, sound more controlled and energetic with heavy, fast-paced music, and the lush, warm mids lend a sense of intimacy to just about everything I've played so far.  These could have potentially even been a replacement, but they're a touch grainy and sibilant in the highs, and none of the included tips really work well with my ears.  I can't say I'm a huge fan of wearing IEMs for several hours while sitting at the computer, either.

I've done a fair bit of research on my own the past couple of weeks, but every time I think I've narrowed things down a bit, I feel like something isn't quite right and I'm not finding anything that really offers what I'm looking for.  In short, I'm trying to find headphones that have a similarly smooth, warm midrange to the EH350 and Rain, good bass extension and impact without getting boomy or bloated, and highs that are smooth and relatively laidback, but still keep pace and don't kill any sense of dynamic swing.  

I'm willing to accept some degree of compromise for comfort too, since I wear glasses and my ears are fairly close to my head, and I've noticed this seems to make a lot of headphones feel uncomfortable to me.  The Sony MDR-V700's that an ex-roommate of mine had were the worst offenders in this respect, enough so that I'm kinda nervous about heavier, closed headphones, but my old (and terrible) MDR-V300's started digging in pretty badly, too.

I'm looking to spend roughly $200-350, and I'm fine with adding an amp if my AudioFire 2 isn't sufficient.  I mainly listen to a mixture dark ambient, trip-hop, dubstep, noise rock, industrial, electro, post-rock, and shoegaze, but do a fair bit of gaming (mostly RPGs), too.

I would prefer to hear only from people who own or have extensively auditioned the cans they're recommending.

Thoughts?

I have the same problem with my glasses. In general I found the light clamping supraaurals the most comfortable as long as they didn't put pressure on the top of the ears, so some flexibility on the horizontal axis was important. The most comfortable headphones I've tried:
Senn PX100 (and PX100-ii)
B&W P5
Phiaton PS 500

The PS500 is full sized but has super soft pads. Soundwise I think it also suits your genres the best.

Quote:
Still looking for a headphone amp and dac for under 1800$- I think I am going to go with the LCD-2 as my headphone. I've looked at the Burson HA-160, DAC-160 and the HA-160D. I've looked at the Peachtree Audio iDecco, anyone know if I could pair that with the HA-160?

When you're at this price range it's better to start digging through the individual threads for the high end headphones and amps separately.

I don't know much about the iDecco, but if it has a lineout then you should be able to plug that into the Burson without problem.

Aug 22, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #6,513 of 29,490

Quote:
I have the same problem with my glasses. In general I found the light clamping supraaurals the most comfortable as long as they didn't put pressure on the top of the ears, so some flexibility on the horizontal axis was important. The most comfortable headphones I've tried:
Senn PX100 (and PX100-ii)
B&W P5
Phiaton PS 500

The PS500 is full sized but has super soft pads. Soundwise I think it also suits your genres the best.

Thanks, I'll look into those.  I'd kinda overlooked Phiaton when I was searching, so this will give me plenty to read up on between calls at work :)

I noticed in your profile that you owned DT880's, and used to own K702's, both of which I've looked at pretty heavily.  My general feeling has been that both might be too bright and dry for me, but in terms of comfort and sound, how would you say they compare to the cans you recommended?

Aug 22, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #6,514 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys I'm new to the site and need to expert advice from you experienced audiophiles. I was thinking of getting a new mid-high headphones and I've narrowed it down to the Audio Technica M50s, Sennheiser 518 HD, and the 598 HD and wasn't too sure which one to get. The music I listen to varies greatly I listen to a lot of rock and metal, but occasionally enjoy the sounds of hip hop and classical music so which would be the best selection I could make? Thanks much!

if you need isolation and some portability, go with the M50. If it's mainly for home use or you don't need isolation, go with the 598.

Quote:
thanks for the reply. Given that ath esw9's are more suited for my type of music, will they also offer the same amount of "detail" that people rave about with their ultrasones?..

"Detail" is really a fuzzy term. I did not find the ultrasones any more detailed than the ESW9a.

Quote:
Do AKG's semi-open headphones leak sound much, or rather, how is their noise isolation?

I like the openness of sound from my HD238's but I dislike the lack of noise isolation offered from closed headphones. If there's a closed headphone that can lie flat and offers a large-ish soundstage, I might consider that.

The semi-open AKGs do leak a bit. If isolation is important for you, then consider the K271 or a different brand.

Closed and sounstage typically do not go together very well. Maybe consider something like a Senn HD380. Most dj style headphones can lie flat as well.

Quote:
Why doesn't this have a sticky?  D:

Hey guys, I'm new here.  Today was my first visit to this board, because I wanted to look into some good budget headphones that I wouldn't feel bad about taking to school with me and using with my laptop.

I'm currently using Bose QuietComfort Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones.  They run $300.

Before you give me "that look," the Bose set were a Christmas gift.  From my dad.  Warm and fuzzy feelings are associated with them, so don't hate. 
tongue_smile.gif

With that said, I've been phenomenally happy with them anyway.  However, in just the hour I've spent on this board, I see Bose taking a lot of flak from the audiophiles in the room (meaning everyone).

So, I'd really like to know: why?  What makes my headphones inferior?  How would they compare to the Audio-Technica M50's I hear so much about, for instance?  (So far, they're the ones I'm looking at as my "go out" headphones.)

Like I said, I've been very happy with my headphones.  I don't recall the brand name of the headphones I used previously, but they were probably (very) old-school audiophile-favorite headphones themselves.  When I switched, I was switching from 8-10 year old headphones to my new Bose headphones, and I certainly noticed a change.  In all honesty, I might have called it a (VERY SLIGHT) downgrade from my old headphones, but one of the phones didn't work on that set anymore and I needed the replacement.

I'm a music junkie.  I'm sure it matters, so I'll tell you, I listen to a lot of melodic metal, mostly from Europe and specifically a lot from Finland.  Sonata Arctica, Nightwish, Blind Guardian, and others that I can't remember off-hand.  I spend most of my time on the computer logged into Pandora (inb4 more of "that look").  I'm also a pretty serious gamer, but I don't feel the need for 5.1 or 7.1 Logitech/Razer headsets because A) I don't need the microphone and B) I don't generally play first-person shooters, so the surround doesn't affect me.

My primary concern is music quality.

So, all in all, I love my headphones to death, and I've had them for nearly two years now without even the slightest issue.  But what is your take?

TL;DR--tell me why I should get Audio-Technica M50's.  Or should I?

The price range I'm looking at is $150-200, but I'm open to slightly higher or lower.  Also, where is the best place to buy/order them from?

Thanks!

-Chris

PS: I posted this in a separate thread because I lost track of this one.  Any moderator is free to delete the standalone thread.

The M50 is a fine headphone and a very strong performer. It might be a bit big for portable use, and the long cord is annoying unless you get a coiled one, but that's still rather big. Are you just looking for something more durable than the Bose? We typically pick on bose here because we're snobby like that, but mostly because they represent poor value for your dollar. They sound fine really, but cost too much for what they are (the noise cancelling is good though, if you need it).

Other popular headphones to consier:
Shure 840: slightly bassier than the M50, more laid back sound, better isolation
Senn HD25-1-ii: punchier sound, very rugged but does not fold up, even better isolation, supraaural

Quote:
hello a friend of me search a closed headphone to use at home . and he has a xonar stx as soundcard .
he like to listen a bit of everything but he listen most to hip-hop , dubstep , rock . and a bit of elton john, phil collins etc ...
what we be a good headphone under the 300 euro ?
good cans for this
beyerdynamic dt 770 pro
ultrasone 580/dj1
audio technica 5Om
sennheiser hd-25- 2

?????
thanx a lot !

They're all good choices. I would simply choose on comfort at this point if you have a chance to try any of them out. I would go with the DT770.

Quote:
Hey everyone

newbie here and really dont fully understand headphones yet, Im planning to buy a laptop that has THX 7.1 sound card in it, and being a gamer thru and thru, wanted to ask if anyone can suggest good gaming headsets (not headphones)

Planning on using them mostly for Battlefield 3, other FPSes and RPGs,

Music is secondary btw, but that doesnt mean music should sound **** on the headsets,

Any suggestion on what to get

Budget is around $60-$110

maybe Beyerdynamic MMX2, though overall you'd get better value out of a separate mic and headphone at that price point

Quote:
So should I stick with my AKG K240 MKII's then? seems like they're probably a bit more versatile.

They are a good all-rounder, though the AKGs tend to be somewhat inefficient and like to have an amp behind them.

Quote:
hey everyone, another newbie here, i am looking at some headphones for computer gaming use, along with minimal use for movies & music through my computer.

I am looking at the  HD598 &  DT990s based on researching over the last few weeks, and have read up on mad envy's thread here on the forums recently. can anyone suggest which would be ideal for gaming?  for the DT990's which version should i get , 32 OHM or 250 OHM?  while i enjoy bass, i am not sure if the DT990 would be to much for online gaming where voice chat is common or would drown out the other sounds due to heavy bass.

I am leaning towards picking up a Xonar  card as well, and wondering if it would provide enough juice to run the headphones, or if i should plan on getting an  amp along with a xonar card? Its looking like i will probably pick up the xonar STX & headphone, but i am still unsure if going another route is preferable for online gaming, with  a dac/amp setup connected to the headphones?

The 598 with STX should be just fine, or the PC360 if you want a headset.

Quote:
Hi, i'm sure the 2 pair of headphones i will mention are already been frequently asked in this forum, but i'm not planning to overview 434 pages :p I hope someone wants to make my decision easier...

I'm using the Cowon J3 MP3-player. And I used to listen to the device with the Beats Pro. But as i read through this website, I learned that there are far better choices. Great sound quality is my only demand.

I'm argueing with myself what the best combination is with the J3: Audio Technica ATH-M50 or Denon AH-D2000. I know those headphones are at a different price level, but I just want the best ones for my device (in words of sound quality). And price is not an issue. It is important that they are isolated (both inside to outside and vice versa). I like good bass. The music has to give a warm feeling (especially voices cause the Beats was a pain in the ass). Low impedance is also important because i'm not planning to buy an amp (but both have low so that's not a problem either). Other suggestions for the Cowon J3 are also welcome!

You'll probably get better overall performance (and maybe battery life) with the M50. The M50 also isolates much better than the D2000 (which frankly leaks just as bad as a semi-open headphone)

I just want to note that impedance is not the only stat to look at when it comes to driving headphones. The sensitivity is also very important (oftentimes moreso)

Quote:

Hey everyone,

I need some urgent feedback and help on choosing between 5 monitoring headphones, and since the local vendors don't actually have these models, I'm having it shipped and so I can't try any of them till I actually buy them.  I HAVE done quite a bit of research, and I have narrowed it down to these 4 - 5 models.

The Sennheiser HD 280'sHD 380's, the AKG K 240 MK II's, the AKG K 141 MK II's, & the AKG K 121's.

The headphones monitors will be used for HOME production of electronic dance music (trance) and will barely be used for personal audio or DJ'ing.  I have a few criteria/conditions which might help you guys narrow my search down:

- I need headphone monitors that are worth their money without need of amplification/volume attenuation.

- I don't know whether the headphones I need for the mentioned purpose should be closed, open, or semi-open.

- The headphones WILL be used occasionally for long production sessions of up to 6 hours at a time, so comfort is important but not as important as the other conditions.

- I need the headphones with the FLATTEST frequency response (across the spectrum), so that what I hear is what it actually sounds like and what it would most likely sound like if played on club speakers.

All I have to go on is your feedback guys.  Kindly keep your responses specific to the models I just mentioned, unless there is a better monitoring headphone I am missing out that is either AKG or Sennheiser (I narrowed it down to those 2 brands for sure) that is below $145ish (that's my budget).

Some notes from various reviews I read:

HD 380's: Have a good "audio/sound stage" but produce some kind of hissing sound...and need a volume attenuator and/or a headphone amp to take care of that problem...can anyone verify that? I'm on a limited budget, so if I buy the 380's I won't have any/enough cash left to buy any extra stuff like the amp or the attenuator.  Also, closed headphones, so some sound stage is lost? But better than the HD 280's?

K 240's: Semi-closed so there is some leakage involved, and so you don't hear everything you're supposed to. Also read that they tend to give a boosted bass response, which tends to muffle some of the mids.

K 141's & K 121's: Aren't as comfortable as the 240's and response isn't as flat and sound stage isn't as wide as the 240's.

I know about the AKG K 271's, but unfortunately I can't afford them :frowning2:

Help?! Thanks in advance people! (Please use simple terms guys :p)

The AKGs generally like to have some amping behind them as they are not very efficient. The Senns are easier to drive comparitively. I would pick the 280 or 380.

Aug 22, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #6,515 of 29,490

Quote:

Thanks, I'll look into those.  I'd kinda overlooked Phiaton when I was searching, so this will give me plenty to read up on between calls at work :)

I noticed in your profile that you owned DT880's, and used to own K702's, both of which I've looked at pretty heavily.  My general feeling has been that both might be too bright and dry for me, but in terms of comfort and sound, how would you say they compare to the cans you recommended?

The DT880 is quite comfortable and soundwise I consider it more balanced than the 770 and 990 which are both U shaped (with the 770 leaning towards bass, and the 990 with a shrill high end). I do not find the 880's bright at all. I also find that Beyers sound better out of tube amps, and I suspect that OTL tube amps work better because they have higher output impedance and the high end Beyers actually don't like too much damping. (that's just me theorizing though).

The K701 is good, not as comfortable as the 880 but nothing bad either. Soundwise it has a very strong midhigh end, though doesn't get shrill, but it might be considered a bit dry sounding. The sound is very clean and "sparkly", but doesn't have much body to it, likely due to the fast decay times and lesser bass.

The PS500 has a stronger bass and high end with slightly recessed mids, though comfort wise I consider it better than the Beyer and AKGs. Soundstage is quite wide for a closed headphone, though not much depth.

B&W P5 is just a all-round performer with no big emphasis on any part of the spectrum. Very comfortable and excellent isolation, but also a supraaural.

Quote:
Hey, I'm looking to buy a new pair of headphones for gaming (fps/rts) and music. Probably 60% gaming 40% music. I don't really mind whether its open or closed, but I would like to keep it around $100~ (preferably lower though). I also would not like to get soft, velvet? cushion ears as they are rather hard to clean. ^_^ 

The bog standard recommendation for gaming headphones is the Audio Technica AD700 primarily for the huge soundstage it provides for FPS games. If you don't need that critical positioning and want some heavier bass to your sound though, look elsewhere (though keep in mind that heavy bass and gaming typically don't mix). The Senn HD555/595/558 is a solid headphone for gaming and music alike.

Aug 22, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #6,516 of 29,490

Quote:
The AKGs generally like to have some amping behind them as they are not very efficient. The Senns are easier to drive comparitively. I would pick the 280 or 380.

So it doesn't matter that the 280 and 380's are closed back? and that they have leather ear buds, so they tend to get uncomfortable after a while? and ears become hot etc...

Aug 22, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #6,517 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey, I'm looking to buy a new pair of headphones for gaming (fps/rts) and music. Probably 60% gaming 40% music. I don't really mind whether its open or closed, but I would like to keep it around $100~ (preferably lower though). I also would not like to get soft, velvet? cushion ears as they are rather hard to clean. ^_^ 

The superlux should be great for gaming.. Another great choice is the Shure SRH440.. Absolutely rocks for games and music...

Aug 22, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #6,518 of 29,490

Quote:
So it doesn't matter that the 280 and 380's are closed back? and that they have leather ear buds, so they tend to get uncomfortable after a while? and ears become hot etc...

Closed headphones don't matter as much for EDM since the majority of your tones are generated rather than recorded so you don't really need the diffuse field or soundstage or room acoustics factored in. As for heat buildup, well that's just a matter with closed cans. Take 'em off every half hour for a minute or so to let your head cool off and you'll be fine.

Aug 22, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #6,520 of 29,490

Quote:

Closed headphones don't matter as much for EDM since the majority of your tones are generated rather than recorded so you don't really need the diffuse field or soundstage or room acoustics factored in. As for heat buildup, well that's just a matter with closed cans. Take 'em off every half hour for a minute or so to let your head cool off and you'll be fine.

How about if I get the AKG 240's but @ 55 ohms (low impedance), would that diminish/eliminate the need for a headphone amp?

Aug 22, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #6,521 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi, i am going to buy a Grado sr325is, but i don't know if it comes with the adapter for use them with my iPod, if not, which cable or adapter should i buy?

Adapters can be had for just a couple bucks. Spend maybe $5 or so and get a nice metal body one from a music store.

Quote:
How about if I get the AKG 240's but @ 55 ohms (low impedance), would that diminish/eliminate the need for a headphone amp?

The impedance might be low, but the sensitivity is also low which makes it harder to drive. That said, a Behringer headphone amp can be had for $20.

Aug 22, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #6,522 of 29,490

Quote:
The impedance might be low, but the sensitivity is also low which makes it harder to drive. That said, a Behringer headphone amp can be had for $20.

I see, ok so if I get the 600 ohm cans, with the $20 Behringer amp, would the headphone work perfectly?  Also is there anything in between the 55 and 600 ohms for the 240's?

Second, would the Sennheiser 380's overcome the amp problem? can they function perfectly without a headphone amp?

And lastly, as a temporary solution assuming I buy the 240's, would it help if I plug the 240's to a guitar effects processor (Zoom G2.1u) that I use for guitar work, as an audio interface? or maybe through my Creative X-fi soundcard? or would that not help and have the same output as not plugging it into the things I just mentioned at all?

Aug 22, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #6,523 of 29,490

Quote:
Budget, $250. Want a closed headphone that performs great for Hip Hop, great mids and bass, a decent soundstage and separation, and a warm sound overall. Portability is not an issue, and I'd prefer around the ear cans.

Quote:
I need a DAC as well to go with the new phones, and that should be included in the $250.

So after deciding on the Nuforce uDac2, what headphone should I get with the rest of the funds?

Aug 22, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #6,525 of 29,490
Thanks Armaegis. Have been in touch with David Solomon of Peachtree Audio and he told me if I was going to go with the iDecco as a dac that I should instead go with the iDac (makes sense). But still thinking about the iDecco maybe as a preamp i read it excels in that category.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back