++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 21, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #6,466 of 29,490

Quote:
What's your budget? and do you want just an amp or a dac/amp combo? HotAudio makes some budget amps that aren't all that small nor all that pretty, but they sound good and have lots of power.

Go with the 32 ohm version unless you want to spend a lot on amping for the heavier ohm versions.

ya my budget is max 250$ including the amp......i am not looking for a amp/DAC combo.Looking at the price of the DT990 and the fact that i would need a good amp means that its too pricey for me. I wish i could afford more but unfortunately its not possible right now. Looking at the other options I like the HD 598, what amp would be best suited for it within my budget?

Aug 21, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #6,467 of 29,490

Quote:
"DT-770 to much bass", are you referring to the DT-770 80-Ohm headphones, that model is very bassy (but in a nice way).

I've heard the 80 and 250 ohm versions (or maybe it was the 600... they all start to blur together after a while). If you're talking about the pro vs consumer model, the pro clamps harder and provides better seal/isolation, which inherently gives some more bass. In terms of headphone impedance, if you have a low output impedance source/amp with enough voltage and current to swing, then the differences should be minimal. If the output impedance is higher though, then you start getting weird sounds especially around the impedance peak which from memory is around 100 Hz. This can come across as uncontrolled bass which can sound simply distorted or even pronounced to a person's ear.

Quote:
Re-post my question

CAS's user here
wanna upgrade my setup (Asus Xonar STX pair with Alessandro Ms-1)

genres i have listen...
electronic mostly....( Daft Punk , Chemical Brother & Justice) ,Metal ..... (Nine Inch nails , Slipknot & MM)
Indie Pop New age & etc....

my budget around USD 500~

Electronic stuff typically wants strong lowsand highs, new age tends to be all over with perhaps focus on the midhighs (the little I've heard)... and your sound card has a decent amount of grunt to it.

If you like the sound of the MS1, I would say consider the Beyerdynamic DT990 (250 or 600 ohm).

Aug 21, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #6,468 of 29,490

Quote:
Here's a review I did on the M50 vs Q40 vs SRH840 vs HDJ2000... http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/512762/review-shure-srh-840-audio-technica-ath-m50-m-audio-studiophile-q40-pioneer-hdj-2000
All of them are DJ/studio style headphones.

The D2000 is relatively flatter, but feels bassier due to it's extension and low end rumble.

Thanks a lot! Your review was really helpful. Wish HD 25-1 ii was included in it, though.

The only thing that is bothering me is that besides yourself (who suggests hdj-2000 quite often to advice-seekers here), I have not found a great deal of enthusiasm or comparisons about it on the net. You seem very knowledgeable of course, but was wondering why it is not more popular (840/940 are quite a lot more popular).

Aug 21, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #6,469 of 29,490
I am looking for a new pair of headphones and an amp. I use to own a pair of AKG 271 MKII headphones but I returned them to to the crappy build quality. I am looking at the AKG Q701 headphones. What would be a good amp for these? I plan on listening through my laptop with .flac and 320 kbps mp3 files only. Do I need a DAC and an amp or just an amp? I listen to alot of Blind Melon, Dave Matthews Band, Phish, and Umphrey's McGee. 99% of the music I listen to are live recordings. What do you guys think of my headphone choice with the type of music I listen to? What What are your guys suggestions?

Thanks, Elliott

Aug 21, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #6,470 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks a lot! Your review was really helpful. Wish HD 25-1 ii was included in it, though.

The only thing that is bothering me is that besides yourself (who suggests hdj-2000 quite often to advice-seekers here), I have not found a great deal of enthusiasm or comparisons about it on the net. You seem very knowledgeable of course, but was wondering why it is not more popular (840/940 are quite a lot more popular).

Pioneer is mostly a pro-audio name and not an "audiophile" brand, so they don't get much attention here. It's also above $200, which is above what most people look for, both for the budget audiophile and DJs alike.

Do a search for the HDJ-1000 and there are tons of reviews out there. Even the HDJ-500 which is much newer than the 2000 has more reviews going for it now, simply because it is cheaper and more people are likely to try it.

I should have an HD25 coming in soon, so if I can find the time I'll add it to the review.

Aug 21, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #6,471 of 29,490
What do you feel your ms1's are lacking? I mean what do you want from your new headphones?

Quote:
Re-post my question

CAS's user here
wanna upgrade my setup (Asus Xonar STX pair with Alessandro Ms-1)

genres i have listen...
electronic mostly....( Daft Punk , Chemical Brother & Justice) ,Metal ..... (Nine Inch nails , Slipknot & MM)
Indie Pop New age & etc....

my budget around USD 500~

Aug 21, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #6,472 of 29,490
I currently have the Sony MDR-XB300 headphones for 2 years and want to upgrade to something better. I actually want to get some Sony headphones cuz I know someone who currently works at Sony and gets a pretty decent discount. Another thing,I don't wanna get the XB500 or the XB700 even though they may be way better then the XB300's. But...I wouldn't mind getting the MDR-XB1000,if they are worth it. :p I mostly listen to music that any normal university going guy would listen to....like rock,hip hop,sometimes pop and the like. I will also be using them unamped from my laptop mostly. Portability is not really a factor and I don't mind how big they are (as long as they are comfy,of course). I was hoping to get a pair which has more and better bass than XB300 (though that may sound dumb since the 300's are meant for bass). Are there any models from Sony which can do that? I was looking at the MDR-V700DJ. Are they worthwile upgrades? Or the MDR-SA1000, I'm currently just looking at the Sony website! :p And one last thing...are wireless headphones meant to be 'less' bassy? Cuz Sony has a few decent looking wireless models on their site. Sorry about all the bass questions but you could say I'm a noob when it comes to audio. :p The bass is one thing I like in my music...plus details and clarity next of course! I wouldn't mind any other suggestions too from Shure,Sennheiser,Denon as long as they are under 200$
Any feedback greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!

Aug 21, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #6,473 of 29,490

Quote:
I currently have the Sony MDR-XB300 headphones for 2 years and want to upgrade to something better. I actually want to get some Sony headphones cuz I know someone who currently works at Sony and gets a pretty decent discount. Another thing,I don't wanna get the XB500 or the XB700 even though they may be way better then the XB300's. But...I wouldn't mind getting the MDR-XB1000,if they are worth it. :p I mostly listen to music that any normal university going guy would listen to....like rock,hip hop,sometimes pop and the like. I will also be using them unamped from my laptop mostly. Portability is not really a factor and I don't mind how big they are (as long as they are comfy,of course). I was hoping to get a pair which has more and better bass than XB300 (though that may sound dumb since the 300's are meant for bass). Are there any models from Sony which can do that? I was looking at the MDR-V700DJ. Are they worthwile upgrades? Or the MDR-SA1000, I'm currently just looking at the Sony website! :p And one last thing...are wireless headphones meant to be 'less' bassy? Cuz Sony has a few decent looking wireless models on their site. Sorry about all the bass questions but you could say I'm a noob when it comes to audio. :p The bass is one thing I like in my music...plus details and clarity next of course! I wouldn't mind any other suggestions too from Shure,Sennheiser,Denon as long as they are under 200$
Any feedback greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!

Try the Xz700....More of a balanced can.. Comfy isolates well sound great for all genres, portable and is a SONY.. forget wireless.

Aug 21, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #6,475 of 29,490
I am looking for a new pair of headphones and an amp. I use to own a pair of AKG 271 MKII headphones but I returned them to to the crappy build quality. I am looking at the AKG Q701 headphones. What would be a good amp for these? I plan on listening through my laptop with .flac and 320 kbps mp3 files only. Do I need a DAC and an amp or just an amp? I listen to alot of Blind Melon, Dave Matthews Band, Phish, and Umphrey's McGee. 99% of the music I listen to are live recordings. What do you guys think of my headphone choice with the type of music I listen to? What What are your guys suggestions?

Thanks, Elliott

Aug 21, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #6,476 of 29,490
I have a $300-ish budget and am looking for a headphone with little to no harshness in the treble, very good speed, and neutral sound. Bass should be tight and present but not forward or obtrusive. I'm currently looking at the Beyer DT880, Sony MDR-SA5000, and AKG K701/702.  Are there any options I've missed, and what are the advantages/disadvantages of each?

Aug 21, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #6,477 of 29,490
Thoughts on the AIAIAI TMA-1? I've heard great things, but is there anything else I should be looking at in that range? If I do go with those headphones should I get the udac2 as well? I've currently got an AKG K240 MKII that runs straight to my macbook..

Aug 21, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #6,478 of 29,490
I owned the TMA-1 till i lost them on the train on my daily commute.
1. They are very efficient. THese babies are LOUD even directly out af an mp3 player/phone.
2 They have a unique frequency response where tha highs are attenuated to allow for louder playback without destroying your ears. Beware of this fact as even eq'ing doesnt completely solve this if you want  more neutral presentation.
3 THe bass is awesome. Some of the best bass out of a headphpone.
4 They are limited. While they are good headphones that have lots of detail and an awesome low end, they are also clearly best suited for techno music.

Gorgeus and almost perfectly designed headphones though.

Aug 21, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #6,479 of 29,490

Quote:

Thanks, Elliott

The K/Q701 are pesky to drive. You'll want an amp with plenty of grunt like the XM6, Headstage Arrow, or iBasso P4. I do recomment a dac just to get away from the noisy power supply of the computer. The XM6 has a dac built in, the other two do not. 

Quote:
I have a $300-ish budget and am looking for a headphone with little to no harshness in the treble, very good speed, and neutral sound. Bass should be tight and present but not forward or obtrusive. I'm currently looking at the Beyer DT880, Sony MDR-SA5000, and AKG K701/702.  Are there any options I've missed, and what are the advantages/disadvantages of each?

The K701 might have a bit too much treble for you, though mid and midhigh clarity is excellent. I haven't heard the SA5000. The DT880 is a very good all-rounder, with a somewhat stronger bass. Also consider the Sennheiser HD600/650 which have a moderate midbass emphasis and slightly downtuned treble. 

Aug 21, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #6,480 of 29,490

Quote:
How would the bass compare to the XB300? If they are balanced,then I'm guessing the bass would be more recessed than the XB300's.

I can't call the bass on the XZ700 recessed. Looks like you want a decent amount of bass.. If you looking for powerful bass and sounds clean and will play nice on all your musical sources.. Take a read on this. http://www.head-fi.org/t/567012/the-portable-bass-kings-the-pioneer-hdj500-vs-akg-518-le-vs-the-first-look-at-the-new-at-ws55-solid-bass/15#post_7699029   The WS55 is awesome for being portable... I can certainly be willing to bet they will be a nice upgrade to your XB300s..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back