++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 19, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #6,406 of 29,490
i picked 2 open and 1 closed because the music you're into generally sounds better on open headphones is all. Go for the AKG's you won't regret it.

Quote:
Yea I really like the 598s, I've been eying them as well, but I'm really looking for a set of closed headphones.  Don't want to bother my family, or be bothered by them either. 
wink_face.gif

I really love these AKG K 272s, they look gorgeous!

Aug 19, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #6,407 of 29,490
Yea, I think I'll be saving up for these.  Just a few quick questions.  Do they need an amp?  Should I invest in a soundcard?

Quote:
i picked 2 open and 1 closed because the music you're into generally sounds better on open headphones is all. Go for the AKG's you won't regret it.

Aug 19, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #6,408 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey Head-Fi,

Brand new to the site, aside from lurking trying to figure out what set of headphones I should get as my first "good" pair.  I thought I had a decent pair of headphones.  My dad bought an extremely discounted pair of ATH-M50s and I always suspected them of being fake since they never really sounded that great.  I bought a 30 dollar headset for gaming and even that sounds better!  I finally put them both to the test last night and the ATH-M50 (fakes) sounded horrible!  Sound muddy, bass is non-existent and they don't get as loud as my Creative HS-800 Fatal1ty Gaming Headset which sounds more clear and the individual instruments and tracks sound more defined.  Aside from that, the cord seems too short for use with a guitar amp, and they really aren't that comfortable after some moderate use, an hour or two say?

Point is, I was really crushed to find out what a piece of crap my dad had bought (let alone wasted money on) for what he thought was a bargain, and I want to find a pair that really shines and brings my huge obsession with music to the next level.

I'm looking for a closed over the ear pair of headphones.  I've been eying a couple pairs but I'm not sure if they're what I want (I'm really very new to this).  The most I am willing to spend is 200 dollars.  Let's say the range is $100-200.  I listen to a lot of punk (not sure if that's a real popular genre around here).  Not really 70s punk, but more 90s and current stuff like NOFX, Flatliners, Streetlight Manifesto, rock oriented stuff.  Comfort is a huge must!  After moving home for the academic year, sadly I spend a lot of time around my computer.  So they need to be comfy for hours on end, these likely won't come with me on the go.  They're to be stationary headphones.  And even though they aren't moving, I'd like them to have at least some style.

Pairs I was eying: ATH-A700, Sony MDR-XD400, some Denon's (but they're out of my price range).

I'm really excited about this, and I'm actually going to go to an audio shop later today to see if I can try on a couple nice pairs.  Thanks for the help guys. 
normal_smile%20.gif

Save money for now, just get the Superlux HD-668Bs, something you can use until your ready to spend $350 on a really nice headphone and a good headphone amplifier.
What sound card do you have in your computer?

Aug 19, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #6,410 of 29,490
Hey Guys.

So I have spent the last 5 days like 3 hours a day reading up on all different headphones. I am buying for my girlfriend which makes it a lot more difficult.

They are just for her listening, walking to class, sitting in the library at home etc. She has an Itouch. Her main genre is house/electro/dubstep but then she also listens to some slow songs like bon iver and mumford and sons acoustic type stuff. So they really need to be alround good headphones that she can bass out to with some bassnectar but also relax with some clear mumford. I know this is idealism but basically just saying they need to be not pure bass or visa versa. And yeah smallish and portable (no amp preferably.) Just normal girly use haha.

I want to spend between 100-250 dollars on them. They need to be closed obviously so she doesn't blast the library away or get dirty looks. She and I both have had numerous comments about Beats Solo and how they are just a gimmick and she understands that there is better phones out there. But in saying that, she will want some that look good on her pretty head. And that is understandable. I was thinking the m50's for their price and reputation but they are definitely too big and bulky i also think (haven't seen them in the flesh).

Then i was thinking the sennheiser 598s but they are open? so wouldn't work either.

I am also still considering just getting her the beats solo if i can't come up with any other options. Perhaps the sennheiser hd25 II? Any opinions on these? I wonder if they would look somewhat "stylish" on her.

Other ideas i have had are the ultrasone 580 60 or 780s cos they look sweet with the metal. Or some shures.

Any help is seriously so frigging appreciated. This is doing my head in and she is starting to be pissed at me spending time on the computer doing secret stuff. I'm at the point where im about to buy the beats solo just to be done with it. But i really don't want her wearing a pair of them because she is such a music appreciator and i want her to go wow these headphones sound like ecstasy. Not yeah cool i got some beats like every other girl in my class.

Thanks so much, 

Aug 19, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #6,411 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you both kindly! The Sennheiser HD280 seems to have good reviews and the price range is perfect as well. The Shure 840 seem to be a bit above my price range (so is the m50), are they significantly better than the HD280?

Think the 280 will have a good shot to be the choice! even tho I read it is a bit light on the bass... correct? (too light)

I consider them bass neutral. Most consumer headphones have emphasized bass, which makes a lot of the "neutral" stuff seem weak in comparison.

I do consider the M50 and 840 better headphones, but it's quite a significant price bump as well. Stick with the HD280 for now. One the the Senn does better is isolation if that matters.

Aug 19, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #6,412 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey Head-Fi,

Brand new to the site, aside from lurking trying to figure out what set of headphones I should get as my first "good" pair.  I thought I had a decent pair of headphones.  My dad bought an extremely discounted pair of ATH-M50s and I always suspected them of being fake since they never really sounded that great.  I bought a 30 dollar headset for gaming and even that sounds better!  I finally put them both to the test last night and the ATH-M50 (fakes) sounded horrible!  Sound muddy, bass is non-existent and they don't get as loud as my Creative HS-800 Fatal1ty Gaming Headset which sounds more clear and the individual instruments and tracks sound more defined.  Aside from that, the cord seems too short for use with a guitar amp, and they really aren't that comfortable after some moderate use, an hour or two say?

Point is, I was really crushed to find out what a piece of crap my dad had bought (let alone wasted money on) for what he thought was a bargain, and I want to find a pair that really shines and brings my huge obsession with music to the next level.

I'm looking for a closed over the ear pair of headphones.  I've been eying a couple pairs but I'm not sure if they're what I want (I'm really very new to this).  The most I am willing to spend is 200 dollars.  Let's say the range is $100-200.  I listen to a lot of punk (not sure if that's a real popular genre around here).  Not really 70s punk, but more 90s and current stuff like NOFX, Flatliners, Streetlight Manifesto, rock oriented stuff.  Comfort is a huge must!  After moving home for the academic year, sadly I spend a lot of time around my computer.  So they need to be comfy for hours on end, these likely won't come with me on the go.  They're to be stationary headphones.  And even though they aren't moving, I'd like them to have at least some style.

Pairs I was eying: ATH-A700, Sony MDR-XD400, some Denon's (but they're out of my price range).

I'm really excited about this, and I'm actually going to go to an audio shop later today to see if I can try on a couple nice pairs.  Thanks for the help guys. 
normal_smile%20.gif

The K271 mentioned earlier is a nice even sounding headphone, though it likes to have a bit more power behind it. A home receiver works just fine though. The Shure 440 is worth considering, and is quite easy to drive.

The A700 is a nice midcentric can with an airy sound and very comfortable. It has a fair bit of resonance through the midsection which tends to add some body to the sound, but can be a bit much at times. If going this route, I would say seriously consider the A900 which tames the resonance and gives a bit more low end extension, or add some damping to the A700 cups to achieve sort of the same thing.

You could try to find a pair of Denon D1001 which I think were last retailing for under $100. Or try the Creative Aurvana Live which is a rebranded D1001.

Aug 19, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #6,413 of 29,490
Bro are you serious?? I already called you out on this, stop suggesting the superlux 668's to every single person who replies to this thread. This guy specifically asked for closed headphones and you still suggest the superlux which are open and leak immensely. Yes the superlux are great bang for the buck, but can they compete with headphones 3x the price? NO.

Quote:

Save money for now, just get the Superlux HD-668Bs, something you can use until your ready to spend $350 on a really nice headphone and a good headphone amplifier.
What sound card do you have in your computer?

Aug 19, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #6,414 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey Guys.

So I have spent the last 5 days like 3 hours a day reading up on all different headphones. I am buying for my girlfriend which makes it a lot more difficult.

They are just for her listening, walking to class, sitting in the library at home etc. She has an Itouch. Her main genre is house/electro/dubstep but then she also listens to some slow songs like bon iver and mumford and sons acoustic type stuff. So they really need to be alround good headphones that she can bass out to with some bassnectar but also relax with some clear mumford. I know this is idealism but basically just saying they need to be not pure bass or visa versa. And yeah smallish and portable (no amp preferably.) Just normal girly use haha.

I want to spend between 100-250 dollars on them. They need to be closed obviously so she doesn't blast the library away or get dirty looks. She and I both have had numerous comments about Beats Solo and how they are just a gimmick and she understands that there is better phones out there. But in saying that, she will want some that look good on her pretty head. And that is understandable. I was thinking the m50's for their price and reputation but they are definitely too big and bulky i also think (haven't seen them in the flesh).

Then i was thinking the sennheiser 598s but they are open? so wouldn't work either.

I am also still considering just getting her the beats solo if i can't come up with any other options. Perhaps the sennheiser hd25 II? Any opinions on these? I wonder if they would look somewhat "stylish" on her.

Other ideas i have had are the ultrasone 580 60 or 780s cos they look sweet with the metal. Or some shures.

Any help is seriously so frigging appreciated. This is doing my head in and she is starting to be pissed at me spending time on the computer doing secret stuff. I'm at the point where im about to buy the beats solo just to be done with it. But i really don't want her wearing a pair of them because she is such a music appreciator and i want her to go wow these headphones sound like ecstasy. Not yeah cool i got some beats like every other girl in my class.

Thanks so much, 

CALs (Creative Aurvana live) not folding, but not too big, really nice sound.
But maybe you want something that folds.

Aug 19, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #6,415 of 29,490
Ahh screw it... i just lost my multi-quote-explained answer 
mad.gif
 (i asked about SRH940 HD600 HD650 HE300)

Thanks all for your comments, i narrowed it to HD650 - HE300, the thing is my amp is just my ST's headphone out, and i read many times about the 650's being amazing the more you spent on source - amp - cables - etc, I can't even afford a new amp + headphones now lol, hence the HE300 which seems to be easy to drive and a review from headfonia was all but bad.

Aug 19, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #6,416 of 29,490
THANKS EVERYONE! 

I was thinking that my Bose Quiet Comforts would be used only when traveling and then buying a new pair of Denon or Senns for home use.  I listen mostly to rock and blues, acoustic, some country, Jazz, and classical.  I mostly listen to classic rock (70's rock, beatles, CCR the doors, Boston, ZZ Top, etc.), new rock Daughtry, Creed, Foo Fighters, Seether, The Calling, Nickelback, Alter Bridge, etc.  I like a good amount of alternative too (Sister Hazel, John Mayer, Collective Soul, Vertical Horizon, Train, Seven Mary Three, etc.). 

I do like good quality and looking for imiaging and soundstage as well as a good spread of freq. range.  Also looking for comfort but mostly sound quality.  All of my music is ripped at 320 MP3.  I primarily use iTunes and also have an iPhone 4 32gig and iPod classic 80 Gig that I wil lbe possibly listening my music on.  All of my music is in iTunes and I think I have about 250 - 300 Gigs so far (lots of music).

So do you think I would notice a difference between my currently owned Bose vs. the Denon D1000/D2000/D5000 or Senn HD650 compaired to my Bose (used with a new amp/dac)?  I wish there were a place in this huge city (Phoenix, AZ) where I can go and test drive or hear any high end Hi Fi Headphones like these mentioned but I cannot seem to fin a dealer anywhere! 

Aug 19, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #6,417 of 29,490

Quote:
Bro are you serious?? I already called you out on this, stop suggesting the superlux 668's to every single person who replies to this thread. This guy specifically asked for closed headphones and you still suggest the superlux which are open and leak immensely. Yes the superlux are great bang for the buck, but can they compete with headphones 3x the price? NO.

Oh goodness, the 688's leak? I don't want to be walking around campus like a d-bag with my music leaking out of my headphones.

Like I said, I was tricked into purchasing counterfeit ATH-M50's and am now sending it back and getting a full refund. Any suggestions on CLOSED headphones around the $80-90 price range that can compare to the 688 and/or the M50's sound quality? I listen to a lot of electro, dubstep, club, hardstyle etc. Although that music is bass heavy, I would like a headphone that can convey all levels of sound. 

Aug 19, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #6,418 of 29,490

Quote:

I'll let you in on a little secret, HD-668B leak almost no sound, you could be sitting next to someone on an airplane that is using the HD-668 and hardly hear anything.
I'm sure the HD-668Bs would rate as quiet as some thin skinned plastic headphones.
Some people want to spend $250 on headphones that will be plugged in their computers low cost (cheap, no headphone amplifier) on-board sound card.
Where as getting the HD-668B and Asus Xonar DG (or U3) sound card will give them sound they can be happy with and save $150
For someone who has never used the HD-668Bs how would you know enough to criticize the HD-668B
Please find somewhere on this forum were someone says buying the HD-668b was waste of money.

Aug 19, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #6,419 of 29,490

Quote:
Oh goodness, the 688's leak? I don't want to be walking around campus like a d-bag with my music leaking out of my headphones.

Like I said, I was tricked into purchasing counterfeit ATH-M50's and am now sending it back and getting a full refund. Any suggestions on CLOSED headphones around the $80-90 price range that can compare to the 688 and/or the M50's sound quality? I listen to a lot of electro, dubstep, club, hardstyle etc. Although that music is bass heavy, I would like a headphone that can convey all levels of sound. 

Do not let the SennheiserHD give you advice about headphones he has never used or researched.
The HD-668Bs leak very little sound, I tried testing 1812 overture with HD-668Bs earlier today, covered the "ear holes", volume level was set just above normal listening level, very very little sound leaked out.
I'm sure some thin skin closed headphones would be considered to leak as much as the HD-668B.
I'm would assume with the HD-668B can hear you music just fine at a low volume level anyway.

Aug 19, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #6,420 of 29,490
Oh okay then, I trust your judgement on this one. I have a HP dv6t-Quad Edition with Beats technology. It says it has a soundcard but which one does it have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back