++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 19, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #6,421 of 29,490

Quote:
there is 100 dollars between the 650 and the shures you're not even close on that one by your own prices...........you're talking about something that costs almost 40% more. Yes i've heard the SRH940 and it felt like someone was shoving broken glass into my ears but i didn't want to say that since not everyone has the same tastes.

Exaggerate much?

I know you're a self-professed bass-head - but this is rich, and only further reinforces what I've long suspected.  I seriously doubt that you've ever heard the 940.  For the record I have heard both the HD600 and HD650.  IMO the Shure is definitely in the same 'class' - although it has a very different signature to the HD650.  It's closer to the HD600 - a little more top end, and a little less bass - but the bass definition is very good.

For the poster's music tastes, I'd have thought either the HD600 or SRH940 would actually match quite well.  It's reassuring to see that Armaegis shared the same opinion.

Aug 19, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #6,422 of 29,490

Quote:
Oh okay then, I trust your judgement on this one. I have a HP dv6t-Quad Edition with Beats technology. It says it has a soundcard but which one does it have?

Beat technology, I think that's more a marketing trick then something of real value.
So what you have can be called "on-board sound", I believe the HP dv6t-quad uses an Nvidia chip-set, with an Intel CPU.
So the sound comes from an audio chip built in the Nvidia chip-set or a audio chip built (added) into the motherboard.
I'm sure it does not come with any dedicated "headphone Amplifier".
The Superlux HD-668B should work ok with it
You can all ways get the Asus Xonar U3 USB sound card ($40+), plugs into a free USB port and has a built in Headphone amplifier.
The U3 gives you Dolby Headphone 5.1

Aug 19, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #6,423 of 29,490

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Aug 19, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #6,424 of 29,490
Does anyone have any experience with the Audio Technica ATH-SJ55 headphones?

Aug 19, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #6,425 of 29,490
Long time lurker here.

I have been looking around on Head-Fi and a bunch of other audio sites, and still can not make a decision on this matter. Currently I have the M50s, the Koss Portapros, the Klipsch Image S4s, and a Fiio E5 with an L3 LOD. I use all of my headphones and use the E5 when I can. The only time I can use the LOD is when I use my 4GB iPod Nano 2g, which is becoming far too restrictive (I plan on finding a 5th gen Classic, though) and I end up using the E5 straight out of a computer 3.5 mm jack.

Trouble is, I hate IEMs but have to use them anyway. I find them really uncomfortable, they get dirty, people want to put them in their nasty ears, I have to keep my ears super clean, and they break despite the fact that I baby them. They are not for me. However, I use them all the time when I'm outside working, mowing grass, or at school. Some of the time I can use the Portapros, but they are open so mowing the lawn with them is no good. I'm also not a fan of leakage.

For headphones, I'm looking at the Sennheiser HD 25-1 IIs. From what I gather, It's really hard to go wrong with them. Even though there might be no SQ improvement from the M50s to the HD 25s, I think they would be a good buy since they fit my needs. I'm not totally sold on them, so tell me if you have something better in mind for me. I would be willing to spend $175 on headphones, $200 as a stretch.

Here is where I'm stumped, though. I want a portable amp/DAC that will last me a long time. When I can afford them, I plan on getting some HD 650s or Beyerdynamic DT990 600 ohms. I want to be able to use the amp with the LOD when I have to but still be able to use a USB DAC when I listen from a computer. Having the amp and DAC separate, like the iBasso DB2 Boomslang and the PB1 Toucan together, is not a problem.

I've looked at units from RSA, iBasso, Fiio, and a few more I can't remember. I don't want an E7 since the amp is essentially an E5. I hear the DAC is great, but the amp won't be good for when I move on to higher-end cans and want the portability that the E9 add-on does not have. I was seriously considering the iBasso D12 Anaconda or the D2+ Boa, but then I heard they weren't so great in terms of bang-for-buck.

Since my first world problem involves portable cans, full-size cans, and portable amps/DACs, I was unsure where to post this. I think this might be my best bet, though.

Anyone have suggestions for me? Thanks!

Aug 19, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #6,426 of 29,490

Hello fellow Head-fier's. As a young audio enthusiast with reasonable experience with headphones, I feel the need to move up the scale a bit. The audio store I work at holds many brands and I've had the privilege to try out many headphones such as the whole grado line, as well as sennheiser hd600, hd650, hd25-1 ii and the hd800, and so on. 

I absolutely love the grado headphones, they are truly unique and very colorful , but maybe just slightly too much for my tastes at times. (the 325i's, which interested me the most, are a bit too forward with certain music). This is what led me to Alessandro's, I've never had the chance to demo them, but they are tweaked grado phones with a slightly more neutral frequency response. I'm looking for a fun headphone that can also be reasonably analytical and work with more genres, rather than excelling in a couple. It seems the ms2i's would be a great choice. Otherwise, I am opened to recommendations! P.S: Mids and detailing are more important to me than bass frequencies.

I also tried the new Shure srh940's through my amp (brought to work), really enjoyed it, but like the 325i's, it can get very high pitched. But these headphones are very well built, come with accessories and being Shure's, easy to deal with for warranty/issues and concerns and whatnot. 

So really, I'm torn between ms2i's, and Srh940's, which are arguably different headphones. I would like a nice soundstage as well. If anyone out there has both these pairs and read this, please help me out!

I am looking to pay between 225-300. 

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Aug 20, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #6,427 of 29,490
Still looking around for an upgrade to my M50s...
How big of a step would the Ultrasone 900 pro be?
And how does that compare to the Shure 940s?
I was told that the Shure 940s would be like somewhat of a better M50, but I'm liking what I'm hearing about the Ultrasone 900s.
Is the isolation decent?

Aug 20, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #6,428 of 29,490

They are open headphones.........do they superlux also defy the laws of physics? There is almost nothing to stop the sound from spilling into your outside environment, so what exactly then is stopping the superlux from leaking? Also don't talk about me like you know me or know what i've heard, my brother has 2 pairs of 668's one modded and one unmodded and they both sound great, but you claim they put everything but the highest class of headphones to shame. Pure foolishness....
Quote:
Do not let the SennheiserHD give you advice about headphones he has never used or researched.
The HD-668Bs leak very little sound, I tried testing 1812 overture with HD-668Bs earlier today, covered the "ear holes", volume level was set just above normal listening level, very very little sound leaked out.
I'm sure some thin skin closed headphones would be considered to leak as much as the HD-668B.
I'm would assume with the HD-668B can hear you music just fine at a low volume level anyway.

Aug 20, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #6,429 of 29,490

You need to relax. Someone doesn't like the same headphones as you what a disaster! Take a chill pill man, i didn't even make a suggestion, i just told him to compare similarly priced headphones against each other for a good match up.  Also lol? Armaegis knows what he's talking about, but get off his nuts man. I have been here much longer than you or Armaegis. 
Quote:
Exaggerate much?

I know you're a self-professed bass-head - but this is rich, and only further reinforces what I've long suspected.  I seriously doubt that you've ever heard the 940.  For the record I have heard both the HD600 and HD650.  IMO the Shure is definitely in the same 'class' - although it has a very different signature to the HD650.  It's closer to the HD600 - a little more top end, and a little less bass - but the bass definition is very good.

For the poster's music tastes, I'd have thought either the HD600 or SRH940 would actually match quite well.  It's reassuring to see that Armaegis shared the same opinion.

Aug 20, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #6,430 of 29,490

Quote:
You need to relax. Someone doesn't like the same headphones as you what a disaster! Take a chill pill man, i didn't even make a suggestion, i just told him to compare similarly priced headphones against each other for a good match up.  Also lol? Armaegis knows what he's talking about, but get off his nuts man. I have been here much longer than you or Armaegis. 

/ignored

Aug 20, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #6,431 of 29,490
Mid and Bass Focused IEMs for ~$30. Will be used for Hip Hop as well as some jazz.

Aug 20, 2011 at 4:07 AM Post #6,433 of 29,490
the pro 900's are a big step above the m50's. the 940's have a very different sound, what sort of music are you into?

Quote:
Still looking around for an upgrade to my M50s...
How big of a step would the Ultrasone 900 pro be?
And how does that compare to the Shure 940s?
I was told that the Shure 940s would be like somewhat of a better M50, but I'm liking what I'm hearing about the Ultrasone 900s.
Is the isolation decent?

Aug 20, 2011 at 6:44 AM Post #6,435 of 29,490

Pretty much every genre.
I've been enjoying the huge improvement (detail-wise and bass-wise) that the M50s are over my old HD 428s.
I'd like something equally "punchy" (or more), but something that can pick up the details as well.

I'm listening to (mainly) FLACs on a Sansa clip+, but like I said, no genre in particular.

Quote:
the pro 900's are a big step above the m50's. the 940's have a very different sound, what sort of music are you into?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back