++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 14, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #6,226 of 29,490

Quote:
Cant afford esw9 o.O i really dont care whether if its open or closed portable or not i just want something that sounds better then alassandro ms1

You listed it as a possible choice, so I assumed it was within your budget.

Can you please restate your criteria and your budget as well as preferred music genres? I can't dig through all these pages to find your original post.

Aug 14, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #6,227 of 29,490
Hey all, I have been bitten by the Head-fi bug . I am currently deciding between the Beyerdynamic DT 880 pro (250 ohm) , The Sennheiser 600's, and the AKG K601/K702... Thinking of buying an ibasso amp/dac. I Run an ipod touch 3g and i am partial to jazz, rock, metal, hip hop, blues  ( Coheed and Cambria, The black keys, BassNectar, Glitchmob, phillip glass, bird, miles davis, Aesop Rock, De La Soul, Dir En Grey, White Stripes ) Those kinds of things. My budget is about 500 and I have Tried the Beyerdynamics and love the comfort and the nice cavernous sound stage. Also pondering a head arrow... absolutely a must on portability (playingng from ipod touch and guitar tube amp) Any suggestions/ opinions that would help ease my decission are very greatly appriciated! Thank you 

Aug 14, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #6,228 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey all, I have been bitten by the Head-fi bug . I am currently deciding between the Beyerdynamic DT 880 pro (250 ohm) , The Sennheiser 600's, and the AKG K601/K702... Thinking of buying an ibasso amp/dac. I Run an ipod touch 3g and i am partial to jazz, rock, metal, hip hop, blues  ( Coheed and Cambria, The black keys, BassNectar, Glitchmob, phillip glass, bird, miles davis, Aesop Rock, De La Soul, Dir En Grey, White Stripes ) Those kinds of things. My budget is about 500 and I have Tried the Beyerdynamics and love the comfort and the nice cavernous sound stage. Also pondering a head arrow... absolutely a must on portability (playingng from ipod touch and guitar tube amp) Any suggestions/ opinions that would help ease my decission are very greatly appriciated! Thank you 

given the kind of music you like (mainly the metal and hiphop) i dont really think you would want the akg k70x. they dont really have that punchy bass required for those genres. im actually in a similar situation, trying to decide between the beyers and the senns. what it comes down to at that point is what kind of sound signature you prefer. it would be best to get a side by side comparison between the dt880 and the hd600 (and maybe the hd650's),but thats not always an option. im sure you would be happy with either. im leaning toward the senn hd650's. i feel like they are better for most genres and you can find them used in the for sale/trade forum for a lot less than you would pay new.

Aug 15, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #6,231 of 29,490

Quote:
Some opinions in this thread are that the XB1000 are no good?

Might buy them when they release, they are the cheapest of some headphones I am looking at (price at 120 USD when release)
Is there any other opinion on this headphone, worth 120 USD?

the xb1000's are a lot more than 120 bucks mate...you're looking at a minimum of 300 and for that kind of money there is an endless list of amazing headphones you can buy

Aug 15, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #6,232 of 29,490

Quote:

the xb1000's are a lot more than 120 bucks mate...you're looking at a minimum of 300 and for that kind of money there is an endless list of amazing headphones you can buy

agreed. amazon has them at $450. you can do much better for that kind of moola

Aug 15, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #6,233 of 29,490
It's been a while since I've bought full-sized headphones, so I could use some advice.

I'm looking to get headphones to wear at work, since I'm tired of getting snuck up on while using IEMs.  Because I'd use these almost exclusively at work, I'd prefer something not too expensive, definitely under $200 and less would be better.  Also, I'd prefer closed to have less of my music leaking out, and it will likely go unamped, or amped using a E5 or homebrew cmoy at best.  I listen to all kinds of music, so I'm looking for something relatively neutral.

Any ideas?

Aug 15, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #6,234 of 29,490
This is my first post here, and I'm relatively new to hi-fi audio and all; I only really have two sets of headphones.
The two I have are the Sennheiser HD428s and the Sennheiser HD560 Ovation IIs.
Where should I go from here?

Things I'd like in headphones:
-Shouldn't leak too badly
-Low shouldn't be hugely emphasized, but should have a definite presence.
-Mid should be easily audible, but not overbearing.
-Highs should definitely be strong, but not disproportionately so, considering the lows and mids.
-Price limit is around $150, $175 max
-I mainly listen to Prog Rock. My favorite band is the Replacements, but the band I listen to the most is probably Klaatu. So, if that makes any difference...
-I'd prefer unamped
-I'd liked closed more than open

Thanks in advance.

Aug 15, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #6,235 of 29,490

Quote:
It's been a while since I've bought full-sized headphones, so I could use some advice.

I'm looking to get headphones to wear at work, since I'm tired of getting snuck up on while using IEMs.  Because I'd use these almost exclusively at work, I'd prefer something not too expensive, definitely under $200 and less would be better.  Also, I'd prefer closed to have less of my music leaking out, and it will likely go unamped, or amped using a E5 or homebrew cmoy at best.  I listen to all kinds of music, so I'm looking for something relatively neutral.

Any ideas?

Random suggestion: Phiaton PS 500. Super comfortable, moderate isolation so you can still hear the outside world, nice looks,

Aug 15, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #6,236 of 29,490

Quote:
This is my first post here, and I'm relatively new to hi-fi audio and all; I only really have two sets of headphones.
The two I have are the Sennheiser HD428s and the Sennheiser HD560 Ovation IIs.
Where should I go from here?

Things I'd like in headphones:
-Shouldn't leak too badly
-Low shouldn't be hugely emphasized, but should have a definite presence.
-Mid should be easily audible, but not overbearing.
-Highs should definitely be strong, but not disproportionately so, considering the lows and mids.
-Price limit is around $150, $175 max
-I mainly listen to Prog Rock. My favorite band is the Replacements, but the band I listen to the most is probably Klaatu. So, if that makes any difference...
-I'd prefer unamped
-I'd liked closed more than open

Thanks in advance.

Another Phiaton recommendation from me. Check out the Phiaton MS300.

Aug 15, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #6,237 of 29,490

Quote:
Another Phiaton recommendation from me. Check out the Phiaton MS300.

Those seem great. If I can get my hands on them, I'll definitely get them, but, as much as they seem worth it, they're a little steep, with the MSRP being around 200 dollars.
Should I just bite the bullet and get them, or go with an alternate choice?

Anyone have any thoughts on the AD-700s? I'm seeing that they're definitely within my price range on Amazon and they look great. As far as comfort/feel goes, I really like the way my Ovation II's are. Do the AD-700s feel anything like that? Would they need an amp?

Aug 15, 2011 at 3:42 AM Post #6,238 of 29,490

Quote:

Any ideas?

Superlux HD-668B, "semi-open", they let out very little sound
or Superlux HD-669 "closed".
Each one only 1/3 your budget.

Aug 15, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #6,239 of 29,490

Quote:
Those seem great. If I can get my hands on them, I'll definitely get them, but, as much as they seem worth it, they're a little steep, with the MSRP being around 200 dollars.
Should I just bite the bullet and get them, or go with an alternate choice?

Anyone have any thoughts on the AD-700s? I'm seeing that they're definitely within my price range on Amazon and they look great. As far as comfort/feel goes, I really like the way my Ovation II's are. Do the AD-700s feel anything like that?

Just keep an eye out for a sale. It was around $150 just last month on Amazon, and I've seen sales drop to nearly $100 before. Also check the sale forums here; I'm pretty sure I saw one within this past week, though I don't know if its still there.

The AD700 are very comfortable, but are quite open and will leak a lot of sound. The A700 is closed and offers better isolation, but doesn't sound as good. If you're considering that style, at least spring for the A900. Comfort wise, the winged system is quite different and doesn't feel like a typical headband.

Aug 15, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #6,240 of 29,490
RE: New closed circumaural cans for movies / gaming, side- or upgrading from W5000, DT770 (32Ohm)

Quote:
The Denon isn't a bad idea, but you don't necessarily have to climb up to the D7000--people say excellent things about the 2000 and 5000 as well (I have not heard either of them, but nobody else has jumped in yet, so there you go).

If you don't mind getting your hands a bit dirty with some modding, you've also just described the overall sound of a pair of slightly modded T50RP. 

Thanks. I've already ruled out D2000/D5000. The bass is just not for me. Have not heard D7000 and it's so expensive. The measurements do not really instill confidence either, but neither do the W5000 ones and it's ok for what I want.

T50RP w/ mods sound like an idea. However, no time for modding now and no TPs up for sale that I can find of.

I'm actually very intrigued by the new T70P. Been tested and measured quite well. Have to wait till it's available for listening.

Buying closed circumaurals is always challenging and this hobby is not friendly to one's wallet :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back