++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 14, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #6,211 of 29,490

Quote:
Well it won't be as flashy but I can almost certainly guarantee you it will sound better in every way compared to those.. Try the JVC HAS600 for $30.. 3 colors black, white, blue.. Look it up on amazon.

Those seem nice but I forgot to specify that I wanted a bit flashy ones :p(no not skullcandy)

I know it might be a little hard to find though

I hate my hipster self :frowning2:

Aug 14, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #6,212 of 29,490

Quote:
Looking for closed headphones around $200-300 USD
which would the best of these:

Sony XB1000
Beyerdynamic DT770
Denon D2000
Ultrasone Pro 900
AKG 271

or any other similar sounding headphones

what type of music do you listen to? the pro 900's the dt770's and the d2000's all have a tremendous amount of bass but the akg 271 is on the other side of the spectrum with almost no bass. Also I would exclude the XB1000's all together, they are cheaply made and don't sound special.

Aug 14, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #6,213 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi guys i'm planning on buying an ifrogz earpollution Nerverpipe headphone but Half the reviews i read say its bad and the other half says its very good

what are your guys's thoughts on it?

are there any better headphones for the same price that are flashy but have good sound quality?($40 max)

thanks!

lol dude those are rubbish get some senn hd428

Aug 14, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #6,214 of 29,490
Pioneer steel wheels... These will sound better than those Ifrogs and they look cool too.
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Wheels-Classic-Headphones-SE-MJ71-G/dp/B003VIWIFI/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1313358535&sr=1-12
Quote:
Hi guys i'm planning on buying an ifrogz earpollution Nerverpipe headphone but Half the reviews i read say its bad and the other half says its very good

what are your guys's thoughts on it?

are there any better headphones for the same price that are flashy but have good sound quality?($40 max)

thanks!

Aug 14, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #6,215 of 29,490
Hey all,

I'm looking to buy some new headphones (surprise, surprise!), and I'd like to hear your more-experienced suggestions.

I listen primarily to drum and bass, electro, and other electronic music, and I'll be using these 'phones to produce in those styles as well. I am also thinking about getting my very own DJ decks, so I may have need for these headphones to be versatile in that way as well.

Annnd... my price range is about 160-200 dollars. So far I've been looking at Allen & Heath Xone XD-53s, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, and some Beyerdynamics... any ideas? :)

Aug 14, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #6,216 of 29,490
Thanks for the tip! I haven't really considered Grado as a manufacturer. Will give them a listen next time I am in town. I am also considering the Aiaiai TMA-1 at the moment. They would serve well as a multi purpose phone i presume.

Aug 14, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #6,217 of 29,490

I would look into the Technics RP-DH1200 as well.. AVB can't be wrong.. They are actually more tame vs the other higher end DJ cans but that can be a good thing actually.. Very good quality  and clean smooth sound with dynamic bass...That being said I think those Allen and Heath Xone XD-53 I hear has the same drivers that is on the Pioneer HDJ2000.. If so you gotta consider the Pioneer sound. Can't wait to try the XD-53 myself actually..
Quote:
Hey all,

I'm looking to buy some new headphones (surprise, surprise!), and I'd like to hear your more-experienced suggestions.

I listen primarily to drum and bass, electro, and other electronic music, and I'll be using these 'phones to produce in those styles as well. I am also thinking about getting my very own DJ decks, so I may have need for these headphones to be versatile in that way as well.

Annnd... my price range is about 160-200 dollars. So far I've been looking at Allen & Heath Xone XD-53s, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, and some Beyerdynamics... any ideas? :)

Aug 14, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #6,218 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:

How about a Grado? While generally considered bass light, they've got about the same quantity as the A700 but tons more kick to it. You can start off with a cheap SR60, or move up into the 4 digit range if you're so inclined. Grados also have plenty of mods available to them, to tailor the sound to your liking.

Sorry, i forgot to quote Armaegis.

Aug 14, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #6,219 of 29,490

Quote:
Looking for closed headphones around $200-300 USD
which would the best of these:

Sony XB1000
Beyerdynamic DT770
Denon D2000
Ultrasone Pro 900
AKG 271

or any other similar sounding headphones

I'm not a fan of the Sony XB headphones, but have heard good things said about the others listed.
I own two Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro headphones, the 80-Ohm and the 250-Ohm.
The 80-Ohms are nice, but loaded with bass, the 250-Ohms really nice, they have bass with balance, but the (250-ohm) need a separate amp. or high end sound card with a good headphone amp.
Or just save some money and get the Superlux HD-668B (semi-open) or HD-669 (closed).

Aug 14, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #6,220 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi, I have some Sony SA500 headphones which I use at home when listening to CD's, however I want some cans which I can take out with my Ipod and to plug into my Imac at home. Budget £100 - £150. 

I have never tried grado's or senns, just wondered how much of a step down in audio quality (if any) would SR125's or HD558's be?

Cheers

Neither of those is really that great for heading out as they are open and not that portable. Maybe something simple like a Senn PX200-ii?

Quote:
Thanks for the tip! I haven't really considered Grado as a manufacturer. Will give them a listen next time I am in town. I am also considering the Aiaiai TMA-1 at the moment. They would serve well as a multi purpose phone i presume.

The TMA-1 is generally considered quite dark and bassy, which will be quite different from what you're used to (A700). 

Aug 14, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #6,221 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey all,

how big of a factor is price? you can get the m50's for about 100 and while you will have to EQ them a bit to get the same bass (they are very neutral) as a lot of the beyers for the money you get some real nice phones. if price is NOT  factor then the beyer DT770 pro 80 ohm will be your best choice. if you want to move away from AT and beyer I have a huge list of bass headphones I can suggest.

Aug 14, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #6,224 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion! Will look them up.

Any other suggestions? How about ATH-M50s or Dennon 2000s?

Here's a review I did on the M50 vs Q40 vs SRH840 vs HDJ2000... http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/512762/review-shure-srh-840-audio-technica-ath-m50-m-audio-studiophile-q40-pioneer-hdj-2000
All of them are DJ/studio style headphones.

The D2000 is relatively flatter, but feels bassier due to it's extension and low end rumble.

Aug 14, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #6,225 of 29,490

Cant afford esw9 o.O i really dont care whether if its open or closed portable or not i just want something that sounds better then alassandro ms1
Quote:
Maybe Shure 940? By all accounts like the 840 but with bass tuned down and midrange brought into  focused. 

Well you're all over the place with those choices... you've got full sized, open and closed, portables and not... based purely on sound and personal preference I would go with the ESW9a.

Really try to audition 325 before buying them. They take the typical grado sound and up the zing factor by a bit. 

standard recommendations:
Senn HD280 or HD380 (these are hard to beat for isolation)
Audio Technica M50
Shure 840

Most comfortable headphones that I've tried:
Phiaton PS500
Senn PX100 and PX100-ii
B&W P5
AKG K240

I think the 600/650 would be a good upgrade, though personally I would consider a different brand just to play with different sounds. If you like Senn though, by all means stay with what you know and like.

You might consider something like an AKG K701 or Audio Technica AD900/1000/2000

Wow, you've run quite the gamut of headphones there... random suggestions:
Shure 940
Smeggy Thunderpants
Pioneer HDJ-2000

It isn't a *must*, but it highly recommended. It's difficult to get good volume and bass control out of them otherwise. 

The e9 will be just fine.

The prices fluctuate all the time. Just wait for a sale and the 600 ohm will drop sooner or later.

Given the college environment, you'll probably want to keep noise out just as much as preventing it from leaking out. I would recommend the Sennheiser HD280, which is the absolutely king of isolation short of iems. 

As far as "safe" recommendations go though, the PX100 is a great choice 
cool.gif
 Now if only they could have maintained that same warm fuzzy sound in a closed container. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back