++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 14, 2011 at 6:09 AM Post #6,181 of 29,490
I'm going to get the Alessandro MS1i soon. However, i am still uncertain whether i should get a FiiO E7 to pair with it, or just use the money to buy a pair of bowl pads. I heard the MS1i does not amp well, and i certainly would not like to pour money down the drain. I'm no audiophile; i will be listening to V0 mp3s with it, not vinyl records. That being said, it will still be an upgrade over my Shure E2Cs which i have been stuck with for an eternity 
triportsad.gif

Aug 14, 2011 at 7:08 AM Post #6,182 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm going to get the Alessandro MS1i soon. However, i am still uncertain whether i should get a FiiO E7 to pair with it, or just use the money to buy a pair of bowl pads. I heard the MS1i does not amp well, and i certainly would not like to pour money down the drain. I'm no audiophile; i will be listening to V0 mp3s with it, not vinyl records. That being said, it will still be an upgrade over my Shure E2Cs which i have been stuck with for an eternity 
triportsad.gif

It will, but you should be aware ahead of time that the MS1 has a relentless level of clarity, even on low quality tracks.  It will make great sounding tracks really sing, but it will also make ugly sounding tracks really harsh.  I'm not saying they are a bad choice, but you should be aware of what you're getting into.

Aug 14, 2011 at 7:10 AM Post #6,183 of 29,490

Quote:
triportsad.gif

Go the E7 with the MS-1i. I'm not one to recommend FiiO gear like others, but I really enjoyed this combo when I owned it. The E7 will serve you better as an entry level dac when playing tunes from your computer, and the amp's bass boost adds weight to the sound to your preference. Make sure you get an lod cable if using an ipod as source.

Btw, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between well encoded V0 and lossless, especially with the MS-1i. It's not relentlessly detailed as claimed above. Forward, with pronounced upper mid and treble? Yes. Ultra resolving? Hardly.

Aug 14, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #6,186 of 29,490
I'm now thinking about getting a Sony MDR 7506. It's about 100,- dollars/euro's. It has a spiral chord and you can fold it in something smaller.

Anyone has good or bad experience with it?

thanks!

Guoy

Quote:
[size=small]Hey everyone,[/size]

[size=small]My first post! Luckily I saw this thread in time, otherwise I would’ve made a new one. [/size]

[size=small]I’m looking to buy full-sized headphones to use on my mp3 player or laptop. I hope someone can point out some good headphones to me after I described the features I’m looking for:[/size]
  1. [size=small]Full-size (over ear) headphones (told you already);[/size]
  2. [size=small]Spiral cord (all the sites I visit never give information whether it has a spiral cord or not;[/size]
  3. [size=small]Max 100,- (dollars or euro’s);[/size]
  4. [size=small]No studio headphones. I live in Amsterdam and use the bike a lot. I want to hear some sounds from the outside while I’m riding the bike.[/size]

[size=small]I now have the cheap Senheiser HD 201 headphones. I love everything about it (sound, design, weight, price, it’s an over-ear headphone) except that it has no spiral cord. It has a cord that is too long and it always ends up in a knot.[/size]

[size=small]Okay, I hope my story is clear. :)[/size]

[size=small]Thanks if you want to help me![/size]

[size=small]Guoy[/size]

Aug 14, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #6,187 of 29,490
For all genres, the HD650 is probably a safer bet. The Audio Technicas have a certain lightness and soundstage which lends themselves extremely well to vocals and acoustics, but not so much for heavy and synthetic genres.

Other options:
Denon D5000/7000
Smeggy Thunderpants
Hifiman HE-4 or a used HE-5

How much are the Thunderpants, and where do I buy them? Can the Matrix combo power them fine?

Aug 14, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #6,188 of 29,490
Guoy, you should also check out the Shure SRH440 which retail for around 75USD. Comes with a spiral cord and can be improved in comfort and bass by buying $20 SRH840 replacement pads. I hear the SQ and all is comparable to the Sony you mentioned.

JB

Aug 14, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #6,189 of 29,490
hi all, first-time poster here. i don't live in the U.S. and where i live it is VERY hard to get decent audio equipment at a price that isn't, frankly, insane (100% markup). my hd495's just died after years of faithful service and i need a new pair of full-sized headphones. right now a friend is going to be coming here and has offered to bring over anything that i order from amazon or newegg or wherever. i've got a Fiio E7 used as a usb dac from my computer. portability isn't an issue because i have a pair of px100-ii's that do the job very adequately without me being afraid of someone stealing them off of my head while i ride the bus. 

budget is $150, can go a tiny bit higher. i need something that won't break after a year of 8-hour-a-day use. and closed vs open doesn't really matter, since i'm the only one in the house. music genres are rock, metal, and acid jazz. not much of a basshead but if i really wanted to have my head vibrate i guess i could pump up the eq on the E7. i play a lot of FPSes so a great soundstage would be a huge bonus, but it isn't top priority. 

currently i've been looking at these:
Sony MDR-ZX700 (pretty cheap right now)
Audio-Technica AD700
Superlux HD668B (these are so cheap i may just get them on a whim)
Sennheiser HD595
Audio-Technica ADH M50
Senneheiser HD518

i've read all the possible reviews for each one and now i have a serious case of option paralysis. recommendations? she'll be coming over by the 28th so i figure i'll have 'til tuesday or so to decide.

Aug 14, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #6,190 of 29,490
Funktion - I was looking at a similar list of headphones. My choice hasn't arrived yet, but it was the Superlux and I thought it might be worth saying why and giving one tip based on my research:

- Of all those headphones, the sl's have about the highest review rating (except maybe for M50s) and are the cheapest - this is hard to ignore!

- The cables are on pin and plug connectors. So if you step on them, the cable just pulls out. My experience says that this is a big longevity advantage.

Advice: order a pair of AKG 240 velour pads to go with them. These are said to be a big comfort upgrade.

If I was in your position and I didn't go for the 668s, then I'd probably go for classic Sony V6s - they have a huge reputation for durability, putting off the day when you have to buy a new pair in your home market.

Suggestion: Grados are hugely marked up outside but the US, so probably sell for a fortune where you are. You don't mention them, but you could maybe get your friend to order the 668s and wear them, to avoid looking like she is importing too many phones for re-sale when she goes through customs, and use the money saved by buying 668s to buy a pair of SR60is as well - which you would sell unopened? These would probably pay for your 668s and leave enough money to take your friend out to a thank you dinner...

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #6,191 of 29,490

Quote:

Suggestion: Grados are hugely marked up outside but the US, so probably sell for a fortune where you are. You don't mention them, but you could maybe get your friend to order the 668s and wear them, to avoid looking like she is importing too many phones for re-sale when she goes through customs, and use the money saved by buying 668s to buy a pair of SR60is as well - which you would sell unopened? These would probably pay for your 668s and leave enough money to take your friend out to a thank you dinner...

you, sir, are brilliant. you're correct, a pair of sr60i's around here are worth $150. i've seen them go for used for $119, which absolutely nuts. 

Aug 14, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #6,192 of 29,490
Alright, here's the deal, I need a new pair of headphones. I listen to a lot of punk rock, rock, classic rock and so on so that's my preference. I pretty much never listen to electronic music/hip-hop. The headphones need to be comfy i.e. circumaural since I am going to use em at work hours on end ;p I intend on using a E9/E7 amp combo that my friend is giving me since he upgraded to a better amp - which is half the reason why I am getting new headphones, the other reason is that my old 595's broke a while ago. I don't really care if they're open or closed as I have my own office so that's not an issue. 

I've got like $350-400 to spend. I've been mostly looking at HD650's or DT880's but I don't really know what either sounds like. Are the HD650s better for rock music? I heard the DT880 are comfier so that's a plus. Anyone got any other advice on what could fit my requirements?

Thanks.

wow, my 4th post in 7 years.. 

Aug 14, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #6,193 of 29,490
Hi guys!

I've had the ATH-A700 for some years now, and as much as i love their smooth and spacious sound, I want something with a bit more speed and impact, as in tighter and more controlled bass. At the same time, I don't want to loose out on too many of the A700's strong points. As much as i want more quantity in the bass department, there is nothing i loathe more than sloppy, slow and muddy bass. It has to kick me in the face, not slowly push me over. I was originally looking for open over-ear headphones, but I am open to closed phone suggestions as well. I have a uDac2 in the mail, and will be using the phones exclusively at home (looks and sound leakage do not matter, and I have different gear for the gym and for traveling). Budget: within reason :)

Aug 14, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #6,194 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm now thinking about getting a Sony MDR 7506. It's about 100,- dollars/euro's. It has a spiral chord and you can fold it in something smaller.

Anyone has good or bad experience with it?

thanks!

Guoy

The V6 is a fine headphone. Nice sharp sound, very durable and folds up into tiny package for portability. My only gripe is that it has such a large flat pad that sits on the ear. I actually had an old pair with all the inner stitching ripped, which made the pad semi circumaural and I thought it was much more comfortable than stock.

Quote:
How much are the Thunderpants, and where do I buy them? Can the Matrix combo power them fine?

They are custom made by Smeggy. Also check the sale forums, but you have to be vigilant as they tend to get snatched up rather quickly. Typically they go for $500. 

Quote:
hi all, first-time poster here. i don't live in the U.S. and where i live it is VERY hard to get decent audio equipment at a price that isn't, frankly, insane (100% markup). my hd495's just died after years of faithful service and i need a new pair of full-sized headphones. right now a friend is going to be coming here and has offered to bring over anything that i order from amazon or newegg or wherever. i've got a Fiio E7 used as a usb dac from my computer. portability isn't an issue because i have a pair of px100-ii's that do the job very adequately without me being afraid of someone stealing them off of my head while i ride the bus. 

budget is $150, can go a tiny bit higher. i need something that won't break after a year of 8-hour-a-day use. and closed vs open doesn't really matter, since i'm the only one in the house. music genres are rock, metal, and acid jazz. not much of a basshead but if i really wanted to have my head vibrate i guess i could pump up the eq on the E7. i play a lot of FPSes so a great soundstage would be a huge bonus, but it isn't top priority. 

currently i've been looking at these:
Sony MDR-ZX700 (pretty cheap right now)
Audio-Technica AD700
Superlux HD668B (these are so cheap i may just get them on a whim)
Sennheiser HD595
Audio-Technica ADH M50
Senneheiser HD518

i've read all the possible reviews for each one and now i have a serious case of option paralysis. recommendations? she'll be coming over by the 28th so i figure i'll have 'til tuesday or so to decide.

The ZX700 is on sale, grab 

Quote:
Alright, here's the deal, I need a new pair of headphones. I listen to a lot of punk rock, rock, classic rock and so on so that's my preference. I pretty much never listen to electronic music/hip-hop. The headphones need to be comfy i.e. circumaural since I am going to use em at work hours on end ;p I intend on using a E9/E7 amp combo that my friend is giving me since he upgraded to a better amp - which is half the reason why I am getting new headphones, the other reason is that my old 595's broke a while ago. I don't really care if they're open or closed as I have my own office so that's not an issue. 

I've got like $350-400 to spend. I've been mostly looking at HD650's or DT880's but I don't really know what either sounds like. Are the HD650s better for rock music? I heard the DT880 are comfier so that's a plus. Anyone got any other advice on what could fit my requirements?

Thanks.

wow, my 4th post in 7 years.. 

I would say the Beyers lend themselves better to the bassier genres. The Senns would be better here (personally I would pick the HD600 over the 650; not a huge difference and the 600 is way cheaper). Maybe also consider a full sized Audio Technica like the AD900 (you can sneak in a used AD2000 in your budget). The sound is lighter, but they have a great soundstage and are incredibly comfortable.

Aug 14, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #6,195 of 29,490
Hi All!

Need advice on which headphones to buy. They have to be:

-Closed
-Below Euro 500 (will be buying them in Germany)
-Semi-portable. I don't mind wearing things that look clumsy or too big. But need them closed for obvious reasons.
-Will be playing them off of an unamped Cowon J3.

I listen to a lot of rock, shoegazing music, indie rock etc.

So far, my judgement on my past headphones/iems has been:

-Shure 310s. Good IEMs, but nothing spectacular. 6/10
-Sennheiser HD 595. Decent headphones, but open. 5/10
-Audeo Phonak PFE 122. Great clarity, and isolation. 7/10
-Shure 840. Amazing headphones, good soundstage. 8/10
-Tripe.fi 10s. Amazing IEMs. Great tight bass. good soundstage. 9/10
-AKG HD K272. Good separation of instruments but too neutral (and lacking personality) for my taste. Plus broke after 10 days lol. 4/10

Now what would be a good next set of cans?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back