++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 11, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #6,091 of 29,490
Hi guys I have about $350 to spend on headphones.  I am upgrading from senn hd 555 and I also have a fiio e9 amp and ht omega striker sound card.  I listen to lots of genres in lossless formats but just discovered DUBSTEP WOMP WOMP.  I was considering Ultrasone Pro 900, Senn hd 650, or Denon 2000.  Are there any other headphones I should be on lookout for and which of these would you choose?

Also what do you guys think of this reviewer's comment about the ultrasone's?  "I truly believe the Ultrasone 900’s cannot be beat as far as closed headphones under $1000 are concerned."

http://www.headphonista.com/ultrasone-pro-900/

Aug 11, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #6,092 of 29,490
@Senn: thanks for the advice. When you talk about clamping I assume you're talking about the HD 25's? To clarify, I gathered that they do clamp really hard but my main question is do they actually HURT? I mean I love sound but I don't want to be destroying my ears/getting a headache whenever I listen for more than an hour or so (which is what a couple reviewers I read thought). Is it really that bad? Otherwise it sounds like they'll be great headphones. Thanks for all the advice!!

Aug 11, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #6,093 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey, thanks for the quick response. My only fear with the 25-1 IIs is that I've read it clamps really hard/hurts after only a few hours. Is that true?

The pressure and fit are adjustable depending how you split the headband. The comfort is really dependant on the person. I would pick the HD25-1-ii even if it does pinch a little because the M50 tends to heat up quite a bit for me.

Quote:
Hi guys I have about $350 to spend on headphones.  I am upgrading from senn hd 555 and I also have a fiio e9 amp and ht omega striker sound card.  I listen to lots of genres in lossless formats but just discovered DUBSTEP WOMP WOMP.  I was considering Ultrasone Pro 900, Senn hd 650, or Denon 2000.  Are there any other headphones I should be on lookout for and which of these would you choose?

Also what do you guys think of this reviewer's comment about the ultrasone's?  "I truly believe the Ultrasone 900’s cannot be beat as far as closed headphones under $1000 are concerned."

http://www.headphonista.com/ultrasone-pro-900/

The Pro900 and D2000 will definitely give you the bass you're looking for. The Pro900 will shake your head, the D2000 will be not quite as thumpy but have a warmer and rumblier tone.

Aug 11, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #6,094 of 29,490

Quote:
@Senn: thanks for the advice. When you talk about clamping I assume you're talking about the HD 25's? To clarify, I gathered that they do clamp really hard but my main question is do they actually HURT? I mean I love sound but I don't want to be destroying my ears/getting a headache whenever I listen for more than an hour or so (which is what a couple reviewers I read thought). Is it really that bad? Otherwise it sounds like they'll be great headphones. Thanks for all the advice!!

Just to clarify I was actually talking about the m50's. They both clamp pretty hard and when you first get them it will feel like someone is squeezing your head. However I would not go so far as to say it is painful. After a day or two they will stretch to accommodate your head. Additionally you can stretch them yourself using a children's soccer ball or something along those lines, but be very careful not to stretch them too much.

Aug 11, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #6,095 of 29,490
@Armaegis: thanks for the info. In any case, I'm leaning more towards the HD 25s now with your comments. I also have a rather large head if it makes a difference (most large hats squeeze my head, and if you're familiar with Turtle Beach gaming headsets I have to pull those all the way out on both sides.) Sorry if that's not helpful at all haha. I guess I'll just have to try it out and see. Thanks again.

@Senn: thanks for the clarification. As above it seems like I'm leaning toward the 25s anyways--I guess that's just one point against the m50s and one more for the 25s. I've heard about that type of trick before I think, and so it's good to know that the pinching can be fixed. Would you say that the headbands stretch enough over time so that they could be called 'comfortable' if they're not so right out of the box? Eventually at least, or with a little help.

Thanks again!

Aug 11, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #6,096 of 29,490

Quote:
@Armaegis: thanks for the info. In any case, I'm leaning more towards the HD 25s now with your comments. I also have a rather large head if it makes a difference (most large hats squeeze my head, and if you're familiar with Turtle Beach gaming headsets I have to pull those all the way out on both sides.) Sorry if that's not helpful at all haha. I guess I'll just have to try it out and see. Thanks again.

@Senn: thanks for the clarification. As above it seems like I'm leaning toward the 25s anyways--I guess that's just one point against the m50s and one more for the 25s. I've heard about that type of trick before I think, and so it's good to know that the pinching can be fixed. Would you say that the headbands stretch enough over time so that they could be called 'comfortable' if they're not so right out of the box? Eventually at least, or with a little help.

Thanks again!

If you have the money hands down the HD25 is worth it. Also I noticed you mentioned some turtle beach headphones...the HD25 will be an order of magnitude more comfortable than those lol...

Aug 11, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #6,097 of 29,490
After reading peoples suggestions, I have narrowed down my choices between the M50, HFI 580, and HD440 (or 840). I am planning to use the headphones unamped on my macbook pro and iphone. I wanted to make sure that the cans I listed would be able to work on unamped iphones. As a background, this will be my first pair of headphones and I am currently using Klipsch S4 earbuds.  I like to listen to and wide range of music, but mostly hip-hop, rock, and some electronica. I also want to be able to use the headphones for watching movies.

The prices for the m50, hfi580 and hd840 are all essentially the same on amazon. The HD440 is nearly half the price of the other headphones. What is the difference between the HD440 and HD840 (I heard you need an amp for the 840s?). I've read so many reviews and I'm kind of getting lost in all those reviews. I'm slightly siding with the HFI580, but please help me decide which to get. A major factor for me is comfort and I like to listen to music with a slight more bass, but not overpowering bass. I also wanted good sound isolation. 

Thanks so much for all of your guys help so far. 

Aug 11, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #6,098 of 29,490

Quote:
After reading peoples suggestions, I have narrowed down my choices between the M50, HFI 580, and HD440 (or 840). I am planning to use the headphones unamped on my macbook pro and iphone. I wanted to make sure that the cans I listed would be able to work on unamped iphones. As a background, this will be my first pair of headphones and I am currently using Klipsch S4 earbuds.  I like to listen to and wide range of music, but mostly hip-hop, rock, and some electronica. I also want to be able to use the headphones for watching movies.

The prices for the m50, hfi580 and hd840 are all essentially the same on amazon. The HD440 is nearly half the price of the other headphones. What is the difference between the HD440 and HD840 (I heard you need an amp for the 840s?). I've read so many reviews and I'm kind of getting lost in all those reviews. I'm slightly siding with the HFI580, but please help me decide which to get. A major factor for me is comfort and I like to listen to music with a slight more bass, but not overpowering bass. I also wanted good sound isolation. 

Thanks so much for all of your guys help so far. 

if you shop around you can have the m50's for 100. the srh440 i hate beyond reason. they are 80 bucks for a reason, they are cheap and flimsy. The hfi-580 are excellent but for less money I would rather have the m50's. The m50's run very well unamped and can be EQ'd for significantly more bass without sounding too boomy. I highly recommend you buy an amp/dac at some point in your life, there are a lot of good cheap ones out there, and it makes such a huge difference.

Aug 11, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #6,099 of 29,490
Ok, I have read through pages and pages of reviews and suggestions for 2 days and still can't make my mind up or possibly find the best headphone/soundcard.
I play Counter-Strike i want to have the best directional sound and soundstage, I listen to dubstep often as well so I like the bassyness, I will occasially
listen to rock and metal as well. I also watch a good bit of youtube videos. I have only ever had cheap 20 dollar logitech headset from walmart, and Gamecom 777 7.1 virtual surround sound headset. My opinion is the Gamecom makes you feel like you're in a theater and like you're where the sound is, the sound is so good, the bass is awsome, the directional and soundstage isnt really though. I also want to feel like I'm there, I want the sound to be life-like if you know what I mean.
I would also probably like opened eared headphones, but you can recommend closed eared headphones as well if it's that good.

I have found the ad700's, but then i found the ad900's, I read that they had the best soundstage and u could pinpoint footesteps real good and was going to buy those, but I read about the bass not being there and people returning it because of that so i am stuck now, I have a $250 for the headphones, I also need a sound card $150 limit for that, and please recommend an amp if i need that (I don't know anything about amps) I would be grateful if someone could help me, I play CS competetivly so i want real good positioning, and I listen to hardcore dubstep "WOBWOBwobwob", i can sacrifice a little as well, but i would rather not. Please help me choose what to get.
Thanks for reading
wink.gif

Aug 11, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #6,100 of 29,490
Unfortunately, I can't help you with a specific headphone, but I believe gaming headphones and dubstep cans should require two different sound sigs. The gaming headphone needs some treble emphasis to catch details like footfall, while too much bass would overwhelm details and not be useful. Dubstep phones would need, obviously, a hella bass, so I think it's gonna be hard to find that all-in-one..

There is a thread which compares gaming headsets on Head-Fi, so you might like to take a look at that.

JB

Aug 11, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #6,101 of 29,490
finally my senn HD-25s arrived

very pleased with them so far, thanks for the advice and recommendations guys

a very very newb question.... which side is the left/right??? the cabled side im guessing is the right hand side? (feel free to mock and laugh)

also, anyone have any idea the best EQ settings for ipod classic for hiphop? what sounds the best? atm iv just got it on "off" but since i shelled out for headphones i may as well try and get the most out of them

Aug 11, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #6,102 of 29,490
The side with the cable is the right side. If you look closely, 'L' and 'R' are etched on the cable connectors. As for EQ, I suppose you could use 'bass booster' but personally, I don't use EQ as it sounds unnatural.

Aug 12, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #6,103 of 29,490
I wouldn't touch the iPod EQ if I were you -- the EQ options aren't that good and also drain your battery faster. But try it out and see if you like it.

JB

Aug 12, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #6,104 of 29,490

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuribosshoe 

Hey guys. Long time lurker, first time poster here. Here's what I'm looking for:

Super comfortable headphones for long listening sessions, ~$200, that sound good with the following musical genres: ambient, dubstep, alternative, metal, shoegaze, classical, folk, jazz, hip hop, trip hop, visual kei.

No amp. Listening from Macbook Pro or Samsung charge. Mostly using pandora, grooveshark, and internet radio stations.

Best headphones so far were Sony MDR V600s that my dog destroyed. Want something with more detail and better bass. Leaning toward DT 770s (80ohm). Especially since I can get them new for $170 right now.

Thanks in advance. Would really appreciate some help. 
beyersmile.png

Anyone else wanna weigh in?

Aug 12, 2011 at 2:36 AM Post #6,105 of 29,490
Can't help you with a specific model, but idk if your phone(w/o an amp) will drive the D770 80ohms adequately. I'd say investigate some Ultrasones or perhaps consider the 32ohm portable model D770s. If you don't necessarily need the bass, I think some Shures could do it..

JB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back