++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 17, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #5,386 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks for the tip!  I forgot to mention though, I'm mostly looking into closed cans because I'll be using these in a dorm and I don't want to bother my roommate, especially at night.  Might even bring them to study in the library.  

Although, I don't listen at obnoxious levels, so if there are open cans that don't leak obnoxiously, then I'd probably be interested.  How much do the AD700s leak?

You'd best go with closed then.  Even if you listen softly it will be noticeable in a place like a library.  Its, probably enough to bother someone who is trying to fall asleep, but not something that would wake most people up.

You might want to look at the A700, closed version of the AD700.  It supposed to have a nice soundstage for a cheap sealed 'phone, but I've never heard them myself.

Jul 17, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #5,387 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi I'm looking for a pair of closed headphones that can be used without an amp. I will be using these headphones to use whilst travelling and I mainly listen to Hip Hop. I currently own a pair of Sennheiser HD 25's but I find them really uncomfortable and I am looking to try and find a pair of headphones that match or exceed their sound quality but are much more comfortable. Could anyone help me find a pair of headphones that will be best for me, all help would be appreciated.

bump

Jul 17, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #5,388 of 29,490
sup fellas, i want your professional help and opinion cause I’m a newbie to the headphones world I want to get a sennheiser headphone but don't know if i should go for the HD 428 or 438 or 448 ( now i have the skull candy hesh NBA)  I have read a lot of helpful review and analysis here, I need opinions and help from somebody that owns or tried on of them, here what I’m looking for:

- I listen to HipHop / Rap / R&B / Reggaton so I’m looking for a deep accurate tight bass (not overpowering or very heavy), I don’t want the bass to take over the clarity.
- to block out outside noise perfectly.

after I read a couple of review it seem that the 438 is the way to go although there design is not great (it's not a big deal for me tho) and I noticed that that the ear pads are different type (but more comfy) so I’m a bit scared of the heat thing cause I’m living in a hot place.

I’ll use them on the nano ipod , I’m also thinking of adding the FiiO E5 Headphone Amplifier although  I don’t exactly know what’s the purpose of them or if I should bring them (does they improve the clarity?) but I noticed that a lot use them, also need the LOD cable for ipod so I can get the best audio quality I can get out, it'll be great if u can tell me about any other modification that I can do to get the best high quality sound I can.

I really appreciate any help or info that I could get from you guys cause you really know a lot about headphones and it would be great to get help and opinion from the pros here and from the people that already used one of these headphones, here in my country they don't know a lot about this stuff and there's not even a store that sell them, that's why my relative in the USA we'll order them for me.

So do you guys think the 438 is the way to go?, or is there anything better out there my budget is 100-130 tops 150$ but i don't want to go there.

I appreciate your help and thanks in advance.
L3000.gif

Jul 17, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #5,390 of 29,490
thanks man so there's no need for the amp cause it'll coast 22$+14$ for the ipod cable that's 36$, do u have any idea of other headphones that sounds good in bass but also clear i don't want the bass to be overpowering.

Quote:
I have the hd438s and they sound great for my rock/metal music. The only thing you have to realise is that they need a fairly long burn in time 40-80hours or more. My hd438s have as you want pretty clear accurate bass compared to some other cheaper headphones. Also You don't need an amp I got a fioo e7 and nothing changed. I sent it back because of a defect but anyways the 438s or 428s don't need an amp to sound good. Also right know I am using my hd438s with my ipod nano and they work fine.

Jul 17, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #5,391 of 29,490
Hello, feel free to not reply because of my lazyness towards reading lots and lots of reviews and opinions but i thought i'd ask and hope for an experts opinion in reference to my needs and budget.
I've been mainly looking at Audio Technica ATH-AD700. I'm travelling at the moment in the uk and through europe so mainly ipod use, i will however be using my laptop to play various games on occasion.
perhaps some movie viewing but i have doubt in the performance of my laptops audio outputs for quality. Music wise i listen to coldplay, kanye west, the wombats, mumford and sons, arcade fire and various house music.
I was looking at the ad700, Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO , Audio Technica ATH-M50S for price and comfort as i wear glasses, my price range is from 70-130 pounds.

Jul 17, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #5,392 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi I'm looking for a pair of closed headphones that can be used without an amp. I will be using these headphones to use whilst travelling and I mainly listen to Hip Hop. I currently own a pair of Sennheiser HD 25's but I find them really uncomfortable and I am looking to try and find a pair of headphones that match or exceed their sound quality but are much more comfortable. Could anyone help me find a pair of headphones that will be best for me, all help would be appreciated.

I've tried a bunch of closed headphones and found that Denon D2000/D5000 and Shure SRH840 work pretty well without amplification, though they (particularly the Shures) do improve with an amp.  But both are full-sized and I wouldn't use them on the road.  Shures fold up and travel well if that's what you mean.  For the train, walking, etc. I much prefer iems for comfort, versatility, compatibility with ipod, discretion and isolation.

Jul 17, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #5,393 of 29,490

Quote:
So the W1000x is much more specific to mellower genres? 

I find the winged Audio Technicas to mesh best with vocals and mid-centric genres. The open series handles staging better, the closed ones have a bit of a concert hall/arena feel. 

Quote:
so maybe some simillar headphones to hfi-450 or M50? what's about steelseries products? do they have bass?

Headphones made by gaming companies are in general not as good as those made by audio companies. They'll give you bass, but not defined. 

Quote:
i have narrowed my choices down to audio-technica ath-m50, beyerdymamic dt770 pro and denon ah-d1100.

i listen mostly to rock, metal, country and some pop(1960 to present)
i prefer a correct and detailed sound over lots of bass, but not too lacking in bass either.

they will be used with a headphone amp.
which should i get?

If you've got an amp, go with the DT770. 

Quote:
I'm looking for headphones with the best price/performance at the more or less $100 price range.  Mostly looking into closed cans, because I'll do most of my listening in my dorm and don't want to disturb my roommate, especially at night.  Here are some I'm contemplating at the prices I can get them:

Sony MDR-V6: $45 refurbished
Creative Aurvana Live: $60
Audio Technica ATH-M50: $110-120
Sony SRH840: $120 (comfort seems like an issue here)
Ultrasone HFI-700: $130

I'm not too picky in terms of sound signature (haven't really found my favorite yet).  However, I do like a good soundstage, and I don't care too much for overpowered bass.  I'll be using these for general music and movies on my laptop, as well as gaming on the PS3.  

Please propose other good options and their price! I'm mainly looking for value here!  Thanks!

That's a great price for the V6. I would jump on that and spend the remainder on whatever it is that college kids do these days. 

Quote:
How does Denon D2000 compare to Phiaton MS 400 in build quality, comfort, sound? (any other with similar sound at price, $200 USD)

and are there any good tube (not solid) amps around $150-200 USD not made in china? (would they be significantly not as good as Fiio E7/E9?)

MS400: more pronounced bass, supraaural, better isolation, comfy, stays on head, good build quality
D2000: bass extends deeper, circumaural, terrible isolation and leackage, more comfy, very loose fit, good build quality

Quote:
sup fellas, i want your professional help and opinion cause I’m a newbie to the headphones world I want to get a sennheiser headphone but don't know if i should go for the HD 428 or 438 or 448 ( now i have the skull candy hesh NBA)  I have read a lot of helpful review and analysis here, I need opinions and help from somebody that owns or tried on of them, here what I’m looking for:

- I listen to HipHop / Rap / R&B / Reggaton so I’m looking for a deep accurate tight bass (not overpowering or very heavy), I don’t want the bass to take over the clarity.
- to block out outside noise perfectly.

after I read a couple of review it seem that the 438 is the way to go although there design is not great (it's not a big deal for me tho) and I noticed that that the ear pads are different type (but more comfy) so I’m a bit scared of the heat thing cause I’m living in a hot place.

I’ll use them on the nano ipod , I’m also thinking of adding the FiiO E5 Headphone Amplifier although  I don’t exactly know what’s the purpose of them or if I should bring them (does they improve the clarity?) but I noticed that a lot use them, also need the LOD cable for ipod so I can get the best audio quality I can get out, it'll be great if u can tell me about any other modification that I can do to get the best high quality sound I can.

I really appreciate any help or info that I could get from you guys cause you really know a lot about headphones and it would be great to get help and opinion from the pros here and from the people that already used one of these headphones, here in my country they don't know a lot about this stuff and there's not even a store that sell them, that's why my relative in the USA we'll order them for me.

So do you guys think the 438 is the way to go?, or is there anything better out there my budget is 100-130 tops 150$ but i don't want to go there.

I appreciate your help and thanks in advance.
L3000.gif

For your genres, I would pick the 438 over the other two. You don't need an amp, but the e5 is cheap so it doesn't hurt. I actually had this exact combo a while ago. 

Quote:
I've tried. Most have already been sold and the rest won't ship to the UK. I didn't look at threads over a year old.

Well other than audiogon, just be patient and see what turns up. I don't know about any European retailers unfortunately. 

Quote:
Hello, feel free to not reply because of my lazyness towards reading lots and lots of reviews and opinions but i thought i'd ask and hope for an experts opinion in reference to my needs and budget.
I've been mainly looking at Audio Technica ATH-AD700. I'm travelling at the moment in the uk and through europe so mainly ipod use, i will however be using my laptop to play various games on occasion.
perhaps some movie viewing but i have doubt in the performance of my laptops audio outputs for quality. Music wise i listen to coldplay, kanye west, the wombats, mumford and sons, arcade fire and various house music.
I was looking at the ad700, Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO , Audio Technica ATH-M50S for price and comfort as i wear glasses, my price range is from 70-130 pounds.

If you're a competitive gamer, the AD700 is hard to beat. 

Jul 18, 2011 at 6:29 AM Post #5,395 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi! I am looking for some advice on buying one of these headphones, or a similarly priced one if someone recommends it and I can find one for purchase:
  - Sennheiser HD428
  - AKG K99
  - Panasonic RP-HTF890
  - Sennheiser HD215
How do these compare in terms of sound quality, comfort, and production quality/durability ? I would prefer one that is not optimized too much for a particular style of music, but has overall better quality and wider/more even frequency response, without having to use an amplifier or equalization.

Any suggestions ?

Jul 18, 2011 at 6:46 AM Post #5,396 of 29,490

My apologies in advance for not seeing this thread before posting, as it was not stickied. I have copied and pasted what I wrote in my thread:

I am looking for headphones for listening at home. I will be using them primarily with my laptop while relaxing in bed, and occasionally with my desktop PC. I know that I would get better quality if I used an external DAC/AMP, but I don't like the idea of having to fuss with extra connections and wires, so I'm looking for something that sounds good being driven by a laptop or PC. 

I have previously owned two pairs of headphones, and I will give my impression of both of them to aid in recommendations:

Sennheiser HD280
Pros:
- detailed

Cons:
- clinical
- extremely uncomfortable

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80
Pros:
- clarity
- bass feels like I have two subwoofers on my head
- extremely comfortable

Cons:
- muddied and recessed mids
- bass feels like I have two subwoofers on my head

I'm looking for something neutral, leaning towards warm if I had to choose. I listen to a lot of rock & metal so mids are important. I prefer tight, punchy bass as opposed to head-rumbling. Comfort is also an issue - I have TMJ, and I get referred pain in my left ear which is often triggered/exacerbated by headphone use. To date the DT770 is the only headphone I've been able to wear longer than 30 minutes without pain. The large, soft velour pads distribute the lightweight headphones perfectly. For this reason I'm scared too look at manufacturers other than Byer, but their lineup doesn't look like it has anything that would meet my needs other than the DT880 32 ohm. But $300 for a headphone I'll be using with a laptop? I was hoping to spend less than $200… 

Thanks in advance for your wisdom!

PS - At this point I'm deciding between ATH-M50 w/ Byer DT250 pads, or Shure SRH840 w/ SRH940 pads. Anything I'm missing?

Jul 18, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #5,397 of 29,490
LostArk,

In my experience, the M50s with DT250 pads sounds so inferior to the stock pads. When the DT250 pads are fitted, the bass becomes so bloated and muddy the vocals are drowned out and the mids are sucked out.  The comfort better with DT250 pads though. 

I've tried a lot to use the DT250s without changing the sound signature because my stock pads are starting to get icky. I've replaced the felt in the headphone cup with cotton, taped all of the bass ports yet the bass is still far too strong for my tastes.

Jul 18, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #5,398 of 29,490

Quote:
The Audio Technica AD700/700 is one of the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn. However, many will find them a bit too light in the bass end. The humble little Sennheiser PX100 (and 100-ii) is also superbly comfortable.

Thanks for the reply :)

I would, however, sooner take sound over comfort. If I can get both over and above the £60 budget, I would save up further, or make money stretch to make it happen, but I don't particularly want to spend a whole lot more than that

Jul 18, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #5,399 of 29,490
New to the forum and newer to the pursuit of high end headphones. I could really use some guidance from those with experience. I am a professor and recently moved to a new office on a different floor of one of buildings. Previously, I was in a somewhat secluded area and would play Pandora, basically the whole time I was in the office, at a relatively loud level b/c it wouldn't bother those with offices adjacent to mine. However, my new location is in a suite of offices that are a bit closer to each other and I want to be more respectful of others-enter the quest for a good pair of headphones.

My budget is flexible but I would love to stay in the 150-250 range. Ideally, I would like something that does not require additionally amplification, that has a warm sound with adequate bass response, and that works well with female vocals. I am open to either on-ear or over-ear options.

I appreciate a neutral sound stage in theory; however, my ears tend to prefer something warmer and with a bit more bass than neutral. The challenge is that the two main genres I listen to are a bit different and likely perform better with different cans. I primarily listen to female vocals in a British pop or indie style (e.g. Eliza Dolittle, Feist, Lenka, Lilly Allen, Regina Spektor, etc.) but about 1/3rd of the time I listen to hip hop.

I recently purchased a pair of KNS-8400s, but they are not doing it for me. The bass response is minimal, the mids get a bit harsh IMHO, and I do find them a little fituiging and overly birght (that is saying something coming from a life long Klipsh fan :wink: ).

I could really use some starting points. I have considering Denon D2000, Sennheiser 598, V-Moda V-80s (I know these are generally placed in the same category as the previous brands mentioned; however, I am have to say the warranty and supposed bass response is tempting).

Also, I really need comfortable cans in that I am bald and rely on the padding on the phones themselves as I don't bring any to the table myself.

Thanks again for any input

Jul 18, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #5,400 of 29,490
im currently thinking to buy AKG k430 or Grado sr60i for my Ipod

i dont mind with Grado's open system, i only look for the one with better sound.

can anyone tell me the comparison between these two ? which one is warmer ? Brighter ? bass and treble ? or which one definetly better ? :p

FYI this is kind of song that im listening to :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chYw9MjbGvY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9hihPZ-qc8&feature=mr_meh&list=PLD2B932B28DBF2DCC&index=4&playnext=0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie9EicrLgdM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back