++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 9, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #5,236 of 29,490
Ok, I have done quite a bit of research towards getting what I want out of one or two pairs of cans but I would still like some input from the folks here. I mainly listen to big band jazz and techno, I also want a pair of phones that I can use in places other than my home. I'm looking for something that can really bring out all of the tones in the jazz as it has a wide range of frequencies. Most importantly I want something that would bring out the highs a bit above the rest, for this I'm thinking sennheiser hd 650's. As for the techno with the low electronic bass and all that I figure that the hd 650's are not going to cut it. So I thought that the shure srh840's would be a good choice considering I don't have loads of money to spend. However, I have heard good things about the bass as well as the mids and treble in the denon d2000's. I have also heard that they do not isolate very well and as such I might not be able to use them in public places. Would it be worth it in the long run though to just go for the d2k's instead of the srh840's? Also, I would also like suggestions on what amp/dac to buy as I do not yet have one. I for the time being I plan to source these from my htc evo, ipod touch 2g and my old compaq laptop. Eventually I would like to upgrade my source, and ideas there?

So, that's about it. Sorry for the one long paragraph. All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

Jul 9, 2011 at 7:02 AM Post #5,237 of 29,490

Quote:
The D2000 should be a step up. That's an ok (though not great) price for them. How much can you find the D5000 for?

I can find the D5000's for 440 euro, is there a big difference between the D2000's and D5000's then? since the 5000's are 215 euro more, seems like a tough choice without hearing them side by side.

I was also looking at the Ultrasone HFI 780 and i can get that one for 180 euro, though again some ppl prefer the D2000 over the HFI 780 and other ppl prefer it the other way around.

I'm only looking at webshops in europe btw, if anyone knows a good american based webshop that delivers to europe then i'd love to hear more about them. i tried looking on google for a bit but couldn't get far.

Jul 9, 2011 at 8:37 AM Post #5,239 of 29,490
I come today bearing a slightly lengthy question that I hope someone will be able to answer, so lets get right down to it.

Coming from a modded Denon D1001 (I recabled it and put Dynamat inside the bowls and on the driver) and really liking the sound signature of the D1001, what should be my next upgrade? I was looking into maybe getting some D2000 so I can markl mod them and recable, but don't know if I should instead pick up the D5000 or D7000.

Or should I just get something from another company, like the LCD-02 or Ultrasone Pro 900?

I really like a warm sound signature, but not overly warm. The bass needs to be forward, tight, and controlled. Mids should be present, tho to me they aren't as important as spectacular highs. I rather like the soundstage on my D1001, so I would like a can that equals or betters it. 

Also, I do not have a desktop amp, so which one should I get to drive any of the cans listed?

Sorry about the big post and the multiple questions, I just wanted to cover everything 
redface.gif

Jul 9, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #5,240 of 29,490
Hi,

I'm looking for a pair of full sized headphones.  My budget is up to £220/$350.  

First priority:      Music - I listen to (mostly) Radiohead, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Rush, Muse, Sigur Ross, and Classical music.  
Second priority: Games - all kinds, but I care more about sound in FPS games
Third priority:     Movies

The only hardware I have, which will drive these headphones are an Asus Xonar Essence ST sound card.  Maybe I will buy a dedicated amp at some point, but not in the near future; though maybe I will if it's below £100/$150.

I have been going in circles the last few days, reading about the HD 598, HD 600, K 601, K 702, KNS 6400, AHD2000, DT 880, DT 990, AD900... So any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jul 9, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #5,241 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks in advance.

For the past three years, I have been using some Sennheiser HD 280 pro headphones on my computer. However, they are extremely uncomfortable on my large head, and am looking to replace them with some nicer quality headphones (hopefully a step or two up from them).

My criteria are:

SETUP: These would be used on a computer in my bedroom. Currently, I have an Auzentech X-fi Forte which has a dedicated headphone amp. (I have no idea if the amp is any good). I would have no interest in taking this new purchase anywhere, so portability is not a concern. I am also leaning toward open air (noise isolation both ways isn't necessary), but if I can find a comfortable closed ear pair that would better meet my criteria, I am not opposed to the idea.

MUSIC:I listen to rock/metal (Particularly Tool) about 75% of the time and bass-heavy electronic music the rest of the time. If I could get  more bass than in my HD 280s, I would probably be satisfied.

GAMING: I tend to game a lot. FPS and action-RPGs tend to get the majority of my playtime. Good positional audio would be a huge plus.

COMFORT: This is a huge selling point. I would like to start wearing my headphones instead of using my normal PC speakers. I am a engineering student, so I spend lots of time at my computer working listening to music. With the HD 280s, I can generally only wear them for 2-3 hours before I have to take them off.

BUDGET: I am looking to spend less than $300 on a setup. I keep seeing all of this stuff on DAC/AMPs, but am pretty clueless in this regard. I am not opposed to eventually upgrading to using one at a later date.

I have read some good things on the Audio Technica ATH AD900s, but am slightly concerned about people mentioning the lack of punchy bass as a con. Of course, I wouldn't really know what qualifies as "lack of bass" in the higher quality headphones.

Again, thanks for the help.

The most comfortable headphones I've ever owned/heard that have some pronounced bass:
Phiaton PS500
M-Audio Q40

Quote:
Ok, I have done quite a bit of research towards getting what I want out of one or two pairs of cans but I would still like some input from the folks here. I mainly listen to big band jazz and techno, I also want a pair of phones that I can use in places other than my home. I'm looking for something that can really bring out all of the tones in the jazz as it has a wide range of frequencies. Most importantly I want something that would bring out the highs a bit above the rest, for this I'm thinking sennheiser hd 650's. As for the techno with the low electronic bass and all that I figure that the hd 650's are not going to cut it. So I thought that the shure srh840's would be a good choice considering I don't have loads of money to spend. However, I have heard good things about the bass as well as the mids and treble in the denon d2000's. I have also heard that they do not isolate very well and as such I might not be able to use them in public places. Would it be worth it in the long run though to just go for the d2k's instead of the srh840's? Also, I would also like suggestions on what amp/dac to buy as I do not yet have one. I for the time being I plan to source these from my htc evo, ipod touch 2g and my old compaq laptop. Eventually I would like to upgrade my source, and ideas there?

So, that's about it. Sorry for the one long paragraph. All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

HD650 - good all-rounder, not portable in the slightest, open design so no isolation
D2000 - also good all-rounder with strong extended bass, even less portable than the HD650 though easier to drive, terrible isolation for a closed can
Shure 840 - good sound, more portable, good isolation, does not need amp

I say get the 840 (or the new 940) and skip on the dac/amp for now.

Quote:
I can find the D5000's for 440 euro, is there a big difference between the D2000's and D5000's then? since the 5000's are 215 euro more, seems like a tough choice without hearing them side by side.

I was also looking at the Ultrasone HFI 780 and i can get that one for 180 euro, though again some ppl prefer the D2000 over the HFI 780 and other ppl prefer it the other way around.

I'm only looking at webshops in europe btw, if anyone knows a good american based webshop that delivers to europe then i'd love to hear more about them. i tried looking on google for a bit but couldn't get far.

Yikes that's a terrible price. You'd be better off paying the American price (500 usd) and having it shipped abroad... but at that point, maybe just stick to the D2000. I did like the 5k more than the 2k, but not enough to justify that sort of price difference to my ear.

Are you ok with buying used? There's a fairly active sale forum here with plenty of members in Europe.

Quote:
thanks, and what about the soundcard? would you get the 558 with a xfi xtreme music?

Skip the soundcard. You'll be fine with those headphones. You can always upgrade down the line if you want, but take it one step at a time.

Quote:
I come today bearing a slightly lengthy question that I hope someone will be able to answer, so lets get right down to it.

Coming from a modded Denon D1001 (I recabled it and put Dynamat inside the bowls and on the driver) and really liking the sound signature of the D1001, what should be my next upgrade? I was looking into maybe getting some D2000 so I can markl mod them and recable, but don't know if I should instead pick up the D5000 or D7000.

Or should I just get something from another company, like the LCD-02 or Ultrasone Pro 900?

I really like a warm sound signature, but not overly warm. The bass needs to be forward, tight, and controlled. Mids should be present, tho to me they aren't as important as spectacular highs. I rather like the soundstage on my D1001, so I would like a can that equals or betters it. 

Also, I do not have a desktop amp, so which one should I get to drive any of the cans listed?

Sorry about the big post and the multiple questions, I just wanted to cover everything 
redface.gif

That's a huge price range you've covered there... and very different sounds. If you're looking for bass and highs, the Ultrasone Pro series are a good bet. They're also fairly easy to drive so you don't really need an amp for them, though if you do get one just about any will be ok.

Quote:
Hi,

First priority:      Music - I listen to (mostly) Radiohead, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Rush, Muse, Sigur Ross, and Classical music.  

The only hardware I have, which will drive these headphones are an Asus Xonar Essence ST sound card.  Maybe I will buy a dedicated amp at some point, but not in the near future; though maybe I will if it's below £100/$150.

I have been going in circles the last few days, reading about the HD 598, HD 600, K 601, K 702, KNS 6400, AHD2000, DT 880, DT 990, AD900... So any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Your best choices would be the HD598 and AD900.

Jul 9, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #5,242 of 29,490
This is a great idea... by not starting a new thread.

Hi guys i'm really new in this this field. I really enjoy music so much, but the problem is i don't know what kind of head-fi i should get. 
Mostly i listen to pop,jazz,blues,classical. I don't know much about the head-fi, what would you guys suggest to me?
My friend recommended a Sennheiser PX-100ii, I read some thread about this head-fi. Is it suitable to the music i listen to, my source is Ipod. 

Im currently using Pioneer HDJ 1000, which already broke down. (it was a birthday gift) 

Thank you in advance for the guidance :)

Jul 9, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #5,243 of 29,490
I feel like upgrading from my HD280s (yeah, I know, but I bought it a couple of years ago before I knew about this site).

I'm looking at the HD650s. I tend to like some rock (Metric, Yeah Yeah Yeahs) as well as folk-like music (Regina Spektor, M. Ward) and Wall of Sound sort of stuff. Would the HD 650s work well?

Also, I would need a DAC/Amp for it, so I've been looking at the Icon HDP. Would that work well given my taste in music? Or should I look at other alternatives (such as the NFB-12 or an E9 to match with my E7)?

Thanks!

Jul 9, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #5,244 of 29,490
HD598 (spectacular jack of all trades, though some will consider its bass too shy).
If you enjoy heavier bass, AH-D2000 (this will make games more involving, but it will compromise directional cues).

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Jul 9, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #5,245 of 29,490
Quote:

redface.gif

If you want sparkly highs, stay away from the LCD-2s.  Those are open too if that matters.  Good open choices with a smile curve sound sig include the Beyer DT990s and too a lesser degree the HiFiMan HE-5LE.  The HE-4 (which I haven't yet heard) is supposed to be a bit more aggressive than the 5LE.

All of those will need an amp, but a Fiio E9 should do it on the cheap.

Quote:
I feel like upgrading from my HD280s (yeah, I know, but I bought it a couple of years ago before I knew about this site).

I'm looking at the HD650s. I tend to like some rock (Metric, Yeah Yeah Yeahs) as well as folk-like music (Regina Spektor, M. Ward) and Wall of Sound sort of stuff. Would the HD 650s work well?

Also, I would need a DAC/Amp for it, so I've been looking at the Icon HDP. Would that work well given my taste in music? Or should I look at other alternatives (such as the NFB-12 or an E9 to match with my E7)?

People with sort of musical tastes tend to like more treble than the HD650s have with those sorts of genres, but it's really a matter of taste.  You might want to think about the HD600 or Beyerdynamic DT880 if you think you might want more treble.  Here's a graph to get you started.

The E9 should power any of them just fine.

Jul 9, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #5,246 of 29,490
Looking for something to use on my TV and computer for watching movies and shows. Music would be a lower priority than video. So I think something with clear mids, because the voice is always the part I have trouble hearing among the stupidly loud background and special effect noise.

Music side, I listen to alot of different things. I like my bass strong but not boomy, and my treble clear and non-fatiguing.
Comfort being very important, last time I use a pair of full size cans my ears got pretty hot and tired quickly.
Isolation is not super important, but sound leakage is. So open cans are not for me.

I am an EE student so DIY amps are possible for me. I don't have any amps right now (except a cmoy integrated into another design I'm working on right now) but they are in my future. So something that doesnt need an amp but benefits from one is cool.

Portability is non-existence. I carry IEMs with me at all times anyways. My budget is quite low since these will only be used for when I want to watch something quietly. I'm thinking around the $50 range, might go a bit higher if theres some super deal and value on something. Max would be around the $80 range and only in extreme situations.

Jul 9, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #5,247 of 29,490
Right now I have Grado SR60i's and a hot audio bit perfect dac. was looking to upgrade. i use headphones exclusively on my pc. I game FPS's a lot and a rich bass really makes FPS's more enjoyable. I also listen to different types of electronic music, classic rock, and some bass heavy pop music. Main complaint with my current setup is the cord really likes to tangle, and a lot of time spent untangling. I've heard Grado's are notorious for their cord's tangling, not sure how true that is. Cans with a cords less prone to tangling and possibly with removable cords so i could replace if they ever get too damaged would be great. As for as the Audio, i think the only complaint is female vocalists don't sound very good. I like the retro look of the grado's. Open backs are a must, i love the natural sound of open backs, along with i love being able to hear my phone ringing if its next to me. I also LAN fairly frequently and love being able to hear people at the LAN while hearing people in games. I obviously would love to save money and only upgrade the cans, if my current dac is able to drive the new headphones. i was thinking around $300 for the headphones. Finally i've been steering away from Sony products after they tried sueing youtube to release the IP addresses of everyone who viewed a video on youtube.

Jul 9, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #5,248 of 29,490

Quote:
This is a great idea... by not starting a new thread.

Hi guys i'm really new in this this field. I really enjoy music so much, but the problem is i don't know what kind of head-fi i should get. 
Mostly i listen to pop,jazz,blues,classical. I don't know much about the head-fi, what would you guys suggest to me?
My friend recommended a Sennheiser PX-100ii, I read some thread about this head-fi. Is it suitable to the music i listen to, my source is Ipod. 

Im currently using Pioneer HDJ 1000, which already broke down. (it was a birthday gift) 

Thank you in advance for the guidance :)

The PX100-ii is a great headphone. I've got all sorts of fancy gear, yet the little Senn is probably my most frequently used pair.

Quote:

Thanks!

Since you already have the e7, the e9 is a rather obvious complement.

You might give the AKG K701/702/Q701 a try. Great detailing that should reproduce well with your genres.

Quote:
Looking for something to use on my TV and computer for watching movies and shows. Music would be a lower priority than video. So I think something with clear mids, because the voice is always the part I have trouble hearing among the stupidly loud background and special effect noise.

Music side, I listen to alot of different things. I like my bass strong but not boomy, and my treble clear and non-fatiguing.
Comfort being very important, last time I use a pair of full size cans my ears got pretty hot and tired quickly.
Isolation is not super important, but sound leakage is. So open cans are not for me.

I am an EE student so DIY amps are possible for me. I don't have any amps right now (except a cmoy integrated into another design I'm working on right now) but they are in my future. So something that doesnt need an amp but benefits from one is cool.

Portability is non-existence. I carry IEMs with me at all times anyways. My budget is quite low since these will only be used for when I want to watch something quietly. I'm thinking around the $50 range, might go a bit higher if theres some super deal and value on something. Max would be around the $80 range and only in extreme situations.

Consider a supraaural if you ears get hot quickly. The Senn PX200-ii is very comfortable with a well balanced sound and fits in your budget.

Quote:
Right now I have Grado SR60i's and a hot audio bit perfect dac. was looking to upgrade. i use headphones exclusively on my pc. I game FPS's a lot and a rich bass really makes FPS's more enjoyable. I also listen to different types of electronic music, classic rock, and some bass heavy pop music. Main complaint with my current setup is the cord really likes to tangle, and a lot of time spent untangling. I've heard Grado's are notorious for their cord's tangling, not sure how true that is. Cans with a cords less prone to tangling and possibly with removable cords so i could replace if they ever get too damaged would be great. As for as the Audio, i think the only complaint is female vocalists don't sound very good. I like the retro look of the grado's. Open backs are a must, i love the natural sound of open backs, along with i love being able to hear my phone ringing if its next to me. I also LAN fairly frequently and love being able to hear people at the LAN while hearing people in games. I obviously would love to save money and only upgrade the cans, if my current dac is able to drive the new headphones. i was thinking around $300 for the headphones. Finally i've been steering away from Sony products after they tried sueing youtube to release the IP addresses of everyone who viewed a video on youtube.

The HotAudio BitPerfect should be adequte for most headphones (I have the DacDestroyer which is the same thing without volume control, and it drives all but the heaviest of cans).

Although generally a bit bass-light, the Audio Technica AD series are superb for gaming. The Senn HD555/595/558/598 are also highly regarded.

As for tangling, proper cord maintenance is important for long cords. Look up the over-under wrapping method for keeping your cords in good shape.

Jul 9, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #5,249 of 29,490

Quote:
The HotAudio BitPerfect should be adequte for most headphones (I have the DacDestroyer which is the same thing without volume control, and it drives all but the heaviest of cans).

Although generally a bit bass-light, the Audio Technica AD series are superb for gaming. The Senn HD555/595/558/598 are also highly regarded.

As for tangling, proper cord maintenance is important for long cords. Look up the over-under wrapping method for keeping your cords in good shape.

first of all, thx for the response. i think bass is a little too important for me to go with one of the ADs.

I'm probably actually leaning towards the Senn HD598, on sale on amazon for $230. like the wood accent, the baige color and removable cable. also like how the the cable is only split on the inside to both ears, as opposed to grado's doing it on the outside which i think leads to more tangling. but it is mostly plastic and gives me the concern that if i throw this in a duffle bag the plastic outside could crack, how durable are these types of cans?

finally, i looked up the over under technique, watched a video, but didn't see a way to secure the 3nd so it doesn't unravel, any tip for that part?

Jul 9, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #5,250 of 29,490

Quote:
finally, i looked up the over under technique, watched a video, but didn't see a way to secure the 3nd so it doesn't unravel, any tip for that part?

A velcro strap (dollar store) works best, or just a twist tie or piece of string.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back