++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 4, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #5,161 of 29,490
yeah.
but i don't know!
i have the 770s and 840s.  love both.
but am liking the 770s a little better recently.
hhnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggg

problem with the beyers is which impedance.  my 770s are 32 ohm and sound great out of my pioneer reciever.  So maybe i go for the 990s in 32 or 250 as the pioneer might not have the voltage swing for the 600s.

plus neither the 840 or the 770 are incredibly detailed accross  the spectrum so maybe i need the 940s. 

hell i don't know

Jul 4, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #5,162 of 29,490
[size=medium]@Armaegis[/size]

[size=medium]Thanks for your suggestion. I've decided to just focus on getting a pair of gaming headphones first.[/size]

[size=medium]Anyway, here's my revised post of what I'm looking for.[/size]

[size=medium]Primary Use: Gaming, not just PC but PS3, 360, and handhelds as well.[/size]

[size=medium]Secondary Use: Music and Podcasts[/size]

[size=medium]Music Genres I Listen To: I listen to everything but my collection is mostly rock,  J-Rock, and J-Pop.[/size]

[size=medium]Portable: No, need a good cord length since I sit around 8-10 feet from my TV when console gaming.[/size]

[size=medium]Price Range: $250-$300[/size]

[size=medium]Amped: No[/size]

[size=medium]Closed/Open: Open seems to be better for gaming.[/size]

[size=medium]Headphone Preference: I'm not a professional / competitive gamer so immersion is more important to me. While I do play FPS I also play RPGs, Strategy, Fighting, Sports, Racing, and pretty much everything else as long as it's fun. I don't want everything else to be drowned out by explosions though.[/size]

[size=medium]Ease of Use: I just want to be able to plug them in and go.[/size]

[size=medium]I did look at Mad Lust Envy's post and am digging the Premium DT880 or the Premium DT990, but I'd like to see what others recommend. [/size]

Jul 4, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #5,163 of 29,490
Im looking for same thing as ijustin.  Just a pair of headphones under $90..  or even $80.  Looking at the rx700, and ad700.  From what I've read on here, the ad700's are very impressive for gaming, which is what I'd prefer.  But is the shure srh840 in the same league as those?    Comfortablity is a high priority, and so is sound quality.  I'd like to listen to rock music and hear a lot of details, and feel like the sound is in 3d.  Gaming is important too, to be able to hear enemies before I see them. 

I've only previously owned a sennheiser hd 202 and eh-150.  Hoping to enjoy a superior pair of headphones soon.

Jul 4, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #5,164 of 29,490

Quote:
Shure srh 940 or Beyerdynamic DT990?
somebody help me

Quote:
yeah.
but i don't know!
i have the 770s and 840s.  love both.
but am liking the 770s a little better recently.
hhnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggg

problem with the beyers is which impedance.  my 770s are 32 ohm and sound great out of my pioneer reciever.  So maybe i go for the 990s in 32 or 250 as the pioneer might not have the voltage swing for the 600s.

plus neither the 840 or the 770 are incredibly detailed accross  the spectrum so maybe i need the 940s. 

hell i don't know

Reviews for the 940 seem very favourable in terms of detail retrieval. I found the DT990 too shrill in the high end.

Quote:
[size=medium]@Armaegis[/size]

[size=medium]Thanks for your suggestion. I've decided to just focus on getting a pair of gaming headphones first.[/size]

[size=medium]Anyway, here's my revised post of what I'm looking for.[/size]

[size=medium]Primary Use: Gaming, not just PC but PS3, 360, and handhelds as well.[/size]

[size=medium]Secondary Use: Music and Podcasts[/size]

[size=medium]Music Genres I Listen To: I listen to everything but my collection is mostly rock,  J-Rock, and J-Pop.[/size]

[size=medium]Portable: No, need a good cord length since I sit around 8-10 feet from my TV when console gaming.[/size]

[size=medium]Price Range: $250-$300[/size]

[size=medium]Amped: No[/size]

[size=medium]Closed/Open: Open seems to be better for gaming.[/size]

[size=medium]Headphone Preference: I'm not a professional / competitive gamer so immersion is more important to me. While I do play FPS I also play RPGs, Strategy, Fighting, Sports, Racing, and pretty much everything else as long as it's fun. I don't want everything else to be drowned out by explosions though.[/size]

[size=medium]Ease of Use: I just want to be able to plug them in and go.[/size]

[size=medium]I did look at Mad Lust Envy's post and am digging the Premium DT880 or the Premium DT990, but I'd like to see what others recommend. [/size]

I prefer the 880 to the 990, although both like to have a little more amp power behind them. Running them directly off your pc or ps3 might not be sufficient. The Senn 595/598 is a pretty safe bet and is easier to drive.

Quote:
Im looking for same thing as ijustin.  Just a pair of headphones under $90..  or even $80.  Looking at the rx700, and ad700.  From what I've read on here, the ad700's are very impressive for gaming, which is what I'd prefer.  But is the shure srh840 in the same league as those?    Comfortablity is a high priority, and so is sound quality.  I'd like to listen to rock music and hear a lot of details, and feel like the sound is in 3d.  Gaming is important too, to be able to hear enemies before I see them. 

I've only previously owned a sennheiser hd 202 and eh-150.  Hoping to enjoy a superior pair of headphones soon.

If gaming is a high priority, choose the AD900 over the Shure 840.

Jul 4, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #5,165 of 29,490
[size=medium]Alright, time to show my noobness and ignorance but I need to know this before I drop $200 + on a pair of headphones that may not even benefit me.[/size]

[size=medium]My PC doesn't have a dedicated sound card so I'm just using Realtek HD Audio. As far as my PS3 and 360 go I don't have a A/V Receiver so I'd just be plugging them into my TV's audio jack.[/size]

[size=medium]Is it worth spending $200 + on a pair of Sennheiser 598 with these types of setups or should I just go for something a lot less expensive? [/size]

Jul 4, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #5,167 of 29,490
For gaming the rx700 is great, but it can't come close to the Shure in sound quality. Neither are that all great for rock though, they both have rolled off treble.

Quote:

Jul 5, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #5,169 of 29,490
[size=medium]One more question, then I'll stop.[/size]

[size=medium]Would it be possible to do the following: PS3 (360) > Optical Cable> FiiO E7 > Headphones[/size]

[size=medium]Or would I have to have a FiiO E9? [/size]

Jul 5, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #5,170 of 29,490
Quote:
[size=medium]One more question, then I'll stop.[/size]

[size=medium]Would it be possible to do the following: PS3 (360) > Optical Cable> FiiO E7 > Headphones[/size]

[size=medium]Or would I have to have a FiiO E9? [/size]

Neither will work.  The E7 only has a USB input for digital and the E9 only has a passthrough to the E7's dock connector.

Jul 5, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #5,172 of 29,490

Quote:
So what would I need to make it work, besides the headphones, if I'm willing to dish out the cash?

You'll want something with an optical input then. If you're considering portables, then there's the iBasso D10/D12 and Leckerton UHA-6S.

Jul 5, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #5,174 of 29,490
K so i own an ibasso d10 portable amp.

I loved my Beyers (dt990/600ohm) but theyre too power hungry.
i was considering just getting the 250 ohm version, my question is am i taking a massive step back in audio quality?  i can handle alittle downgrade with being able to take them on trips, but i gotta draw the line somewhere.

i listen to techno, metal, r&b, darn near everything.  if not the beyers, any suggestions that would suit my amp/music/semi portable needs?

Thanks!

Jul 5, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #5,175 of 29,490
Quote:
Would a ASTRO MixAmp work? Or is that more-so for headsets than headphones?

Is a Dolby Headphone DSP in a box with a mixer for voice chat.  Great for console gaming but a poor choice for music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back