++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 6, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #5,191 of 29,490
Hey Head-fiers,
Thanks for the great suggestions.  I have dwindled my decision down to three models: Shure SRH440, ATH a700, and Sony 7506.  I work in video production and will use the headphones for audio mixing/editing for video, as well as viewing movies and listening to the occasional pandora on downtime.  My main issue here is comfort.  I have big ears compared to most people.  At work we use Sony MDR v600 and they fit my ears great.  So my reservation about getting the 7506 is the shape of the cup is more rectangular than the v600 and I am worried that it may rest on my ear.  The intrigue about the ATH a700 is I hear they're pretty large.  I'm expecting to wear the headphones 6-8 hours at a time and comfort is a huge issue for me and I don't want to make a bad decision and have to ship a set back.  Has anyone used these and have anything to comment as to their comfort?

Peace within,
EsoterX

Jul 6, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #5,192 of 29,490

Quote:
Some bassier headphones with decent to good isolation around your price range:
Phiaton MS400
M-Audio Q40
Shure 750
Shure 840
Audio Technica Pro700mk2
Ultrasone Pro 650 or 750
Denon D1100
Denon D2000 (used)

Thank you for the suggestions. It seems I have much more research to do, although I've already ruled out the Q40. It was high on my want list at one time, but there were a few too many posts about sound leakage (especially in the huge Q40 thread). It's too bad because their price isn't bad at all.

Jul 6, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #5,193 of 29,490
OK, I'd love some help: 

I've had a few headphones so far, and really enjoy the ATH-M50. Recently, however, I got into a project modding Grados and ended up with an amazing pair of 225i, with wood cups. Needless to say - the sound is on a whole new level. However, these are open cans and not suitable for daily use out and about. 

So now I'm looking for a pair of closed, fun headphones. Basically, a "better" M50. I'm just not sure where to start. I was thinking about the beyer dt 770/880/990 (though, the 990 is open I think - so strike that) or the denon d-2000 perhaps. But I don't know that they would be upgrades rather than "side-grades". 

Let's see - I definitely want closed back, since I'm very happy with the open Grados and want to fill a different need. They need to be about as isolating as the M50. Good bass punch is a must - and I especially like the sub-bass. I'll be using them mostly outside, but I'm not really worried about anything being too big to wear portably. I'll be driving them with a Sansa Clip+ running through a FiiO E11 - so they need to be able to be driven that way. 

Really listen to all kinds of music, but for the purposes of this discussion let's say hip hop, rap, and electronica. 

As for the budget - obviously I'd like to keep it as low as feasible. I'd be willing go to up to $500, but would really prefer something in the $250 range. 

So... any ideas? Can anyone point me in the right direction? 

Jul 6, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #5,194 of 29,490
Quote:
OK, I'd love some help: 

I've had a few headphones so far, and really enjoy the ATH-M50. Recently, however, I got into a project modding Grados and ended up with an amazing pair of 225i, with wood cups. Needless to say - the sound is on a whole new level. However, these are open cans and not suitable for daily use out and about. 

So now I'm looking for a pair of closed, fun headphones. Basically, a "better" M50. I'm just not sure where to start. I was thinking about the beyer dt 770/880/990 (though, the 990 is open I think - so strike that) or the denon d-2000 perhaps. But I don't know that they would be upgrades rather than "side-grades". 

Let's see - I definitely want closed back, since I'm very happy with the open Grados and want to fill a different need. They need to be about as isolating as the M50. Good bass punch is a must - and I especially like the sub-bass. I'll be using them mostly outside, but I'm not really worried about anything being too big to wear portably. I'll be driving them with a Sansa Clip+ running through a FiiO E11 - so they need to be able to be driven that way. 

Really listen to all kinds of music, but for the purposes of this discussion let's say hip hop, rap, and electronica. 

As for the budget - obviously I'd like to keep it as low as feasible. I'd be willing go to up to $500, but would really prefer something in the $250 range. 

So... any ideas? Can anyone point me in the right direction? 

The Denons probably won't stay on you head when you walk around so I'd scratch them.  The DT880s are open too.  I've had both the 770 pro 80s and premium/edition 600s.  The only things that I like better about either was the comfort and the bigger soundstage.

If you're open to supras, the Beyer DT1350s go really deep though they have less mid bass than the M50s.  If the E11 has all the power its cracked up to then some Fostex T50RPs might be a good choice, especially if you want to mod them too.  Stock the bass is deep and flat and you can mode for a bit more.  They aren't the most stable either, but they're way tougher then the Denons.  Even if they fall off your head they'll be fine unless a truck runs over them first.

Jul 6, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #5,195 of 29,490
Thanks for the reply! 

So, a couple things - the fostex, I did a quick search in google... are they the kinda goofy looking ones selling for about $75?

As for the beyer dt1350 - I'm sorry, I should have clarified: I'd really prefer circumaural. That's my bad for not specifying, sorry. 

What do you guys think of the Ultrasone PRO 900?

EDIT: nevermind - the Ultrasone's are supra-aural too, aren't they?
Edit2: Geez, I'm slow. I just got that you specifically said "supras". For some reason I was thinking supers, as in massive. That, I'm ok with!

Quote:
The Denons probably won't stay on you head when you walk around so I'd scratch them.  The DT880s are open too.  I've had both the 770 pro 80s and premium/edition 600s.  The only things that I like better about either was the comfort and the bigger soundstage.

If you're open to supras, the Beyer DT1350s go really deep though they have less mid bass than the M50s.  If the E11 has all the power its cracked up to then some Fostex T50RPs might be a good choice, especially if you want to mod them too.  Stock the bass is deep and flat and you can mode for a bit more.  They aren't the most stable either, but they're way tougher then the Denons.  Even if they fall off your head they'll be fine unless a truck runs over them first.

Jul 6, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #5,196 of 29,490
All the Pro and HFI Ultrasones are circum.  I've only had much time with the HFI 780 which I hated.  The timbre was way too metallic.

The Fostex were the only orthos on the market for the longest time until HiFiMan and Audeze recently entered the fray.  Don't underestimate it because of its price.  I'm regretting that.  It would have saved me some money to start with them.  I just sold my HD650s because my modded T50RPs get all my head time at home.  They're already quite good stock and only improve from there.

There are some massive threads with modding information on them.

Jul 7, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #5,198 of 29,490

OK, Mav (may I call you Mav?)

You got me sufficiently intrigued - I'll give the Fostex a shot! And thanks again, I've never even heard of these - let alone considered them! 
Quote:
All the Pro and HFI Ultrasones are circum.  I've only had much time with the HFI 780 which I hated.  The timbre was way too metallic.

The Fostex were the only orthos on the market for the longest time until HiFiMan and Audeze recently entered the fray.  Don't underestimate it because of its price.  I'm regretting that.  It would have saved me some money to start with them.  I just sold my HD650s because my modded T50RPs get all my head time at home.  They're already quite good stock and only improve from there.

Jul 7, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #5,199 of 29,490
In the market for my first set of quality phones. All genre purpose.

Music: Jazz Fusion(Zappa)/ Progressive rock/ Jazz/ Thrash/ Neo-classical/ Classic Rock/ Grundge/ Classical/ 70s & 80s pop.

Budget: Trying to keep it under $300 USD

Usage: In the University Library/During chess tournaments.(closed phones are a must).

Amp: Not immediately, Don't know if the phones im ending up with will require one. I have looked at ibasso and they seem pretty reputable though..

Ideas: I've been searching and reading for the past few days, The Audio-Technica ESW-9's appeal to me a great deal, but I have no clue how they sound. I read a review saying they had a vintage tubey feel, and yet again that appealed to me. After reading some more though some dislike it and others recommend the M-50s. So give me some recommendations!

Jul 7, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #5,200 of 29,490
Quote:
OK, Mav (may I call you Mav?)

You got me sufficiently intrigued - I'll give the Fostex a shot! And thanks again, I've never even heard of these - let alone considered them! 

I've seen a few people underestimate them because of their price.  I half did that for a while.  I assumed that they'd need mods beyond the level of my woodworking and/or tuning by ear abilities to live up to the reports I'd read but curiosity got the best of me and I got a pair anyway.  They sound surprisingly good stock and great with a little work.  If you love the Grado sound, they won't replace it since they're pretty neutral but they'd probably make a great complement.  With mods you can make them a little dark, a little bright, somewhere in between, or even a little smiley shaped without tons of trial and error.

I keep an eye on all three of those threads, but for modding them in the stock housing this one is the best place to ask questions.

Jul 7, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #5,201 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey Head-fiers,
Thanks for the great suggestions.  I have dwindled my decision down to three models: Shure SRH440, ATH a700, and Sony 7506.  I work in video production and will use the headphones for audio mixing/editing for video, as well as viewing movies and listening to the occasional pandora on downtime.  My main issue here is comfort.  I have big ears compared to most people.  At work we use Sony MDR v600 and they fit my ears great.  So my reservation about getting the 7506 is the shape of the cup is more rectangular than the v600 and I am worried that it may rest on my ear.  The intrigue about the ATH a700 is I hear they're pretty large.  I'm expecting to wear the headphones 6-8 hours at a time and comfort is a huge issue for me and I don't want to make a bad decision and have to ship a set back.  Has anyone used these and have anything to comment as to their comfort?

Peace within,
EsoterX

While I feel the 440 or 7506 are more suitable for audio work, the A700 is indeed very comfortable. The 440 should be circumaural, but as with any closed headphone will warm up a bit. The 7506 has pads that will likely sit on your ear. I actually found them more comfortable after the stitching on the insides broke and they fluffed up a bit and allowed my ear to rest inside the pad.

The A700 is midcentric and has resonance which could be bad if you're going for high detail, but I would say its comfort is easily a couple steps up from the other two.

Quote:
Thank you for the suggestions. It seems I have much more research to do, although I've already ruled out the Q40. It was high on my want list at one time, but there were a few too many posts about sound leakage (especially in the huge Q40 thread). It's too bad because their price isn't bad at all.

You can always upgrade to the Beyer DT770 pads to improve isolation. There's also the DT770 gel pads which are another step up.

Quote:
question about some headphone amps
How does this amp compare to fiio e7,fiio e11, ibasso d2+, and Little Dot i+?
(used with budget headphones, around 100-200, ex grado sr60i, sony mdr v6, phiaton ms400
(If all were same price, which would be the best to buy?)

For amp, I would pick the e11 if I didn't need a dac, or the D2+ if I did (unless I was planning on going with the e7+e9 combo)

For headphone, I would pick the MS400.

Quote:
In the market for my first set of quality phones. All genre purpose.

Music: Jazz Fusion(Zappa)/ Progressive rock/ Jazz/ Thrash/ Neo-classical/ Classic Rock/ Grundge/ Classical/ 70s & 80s pop.

Budget: Trying to keep it under $300 USD

Usage: In the University Library/During chess tournaments.(closed phones are a must).

Amp: Not immediately, Don't know if the phones im ending up with will require one. I have looked at ibasso and they seem pretty reputable though..

Ideas: I've been searching and reading for the past few days, The Audio-Technica ESW-9's appeal to me a great deal, but I have no clue how they sound. I read a review saying they had a vintage tubey feel, and yet again that appealed to me. After reading some more though some dislike it and others recommend the M-50s. So give me some recommendations!

The ESW9a is a great headphone and small and portable. I would pick that over the M50 any day unless you needed something more rugged. Be careful of fakes though.

Jul 7, 2011 at 8:44 AM Post #5,202 of 29,490

Quote:

To be fair, I own both the T50RP and HFI-780, both are somewhat modded, and I really like both of them.  Very minor mods turn an HFI-780 from almost to awesome.

Far be it from me to push you away from the T50RP, though, which is one of the best deals in headphones--especially if you're willing to get your hands dirty.

Jul 7, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #5,203 of 29,490
Hi I am new here but been following these forums since 2 months now.
I am looking for a good headphones. I will be mostly using them for listening to music(R&B and some rock) and gaming and it must have good bass.
I am on a tight budget it should be less than 40$.

Jul 7, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #5,204 of 29,490
JVC HA-RX700. They will fit your needs beautifully - except (note: competitive) gaming. The bump in the bass registers usually hinders gaming performance since it blurs the directional cues, but you'll enjoy that bump if you only play recreationally.
Also try these RX700 mods.

Quote:
Hi I am new here but been following these forums since 2 months now.
I am looking for a good headphones. I will be mostly using them for listening to music(R&B and some rock) and gaming and it must have good bass.
I am on a tight budget it should be less than 40$.

Jul 8, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #5,205 of 29,490

Quote:
JVC HA-RX700. They will fit your needs beautifully - except (note: competitive) gaming. The bump in the bass registers usually hinders gaming performance since it blurs the directional cues, but you'll enjoy that bump if you only play recreationally.
Also try these RX700 mods.

Thanks for the reply. Can you recommend any other models. I cant find JVC anywhere here even on online stores (except from ebay import from UK for 60$). I am from India so it is hard to find here...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back